Pick 3- who will we take?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 3- who will we take?

BigMart wrote: I'm sure Billings is talented... But top picks in a draft are used for Jet Midfielders or Key Fwds IMO
Talented??

Many pundits are saying he is the most talented player in the draft

He only played 3 games this year in the TAC Cup however in his first two games both against Eastern he picked up 26 and 32 possessions respectively - no stats recorded for his 3rd game - pretty impressive for a supposed medium forward

As an underager in 2012 he played 10 games - seven of which he picked up 18 possessions or more

In a representative game for Australiain 2012 he topped the possession count with 22 disposals and kicked 4 goals in a BOG performance and that was playing with Aish, McDonald, Jesse Hogan and Jack Martin.

They say he needs to work on his endurance but if that improves the this kid could be phenomenal as he seems to have a great footy brain

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sax
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:So Billings is a forward and not a mid?

If that is the case why is he even being discussed?
Watch his highlights. Does a fair bit of both. Reminds me a bit of a Bartell type!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

He picked up 26 and 32 possessions in his first 2 games this year for Oakleigh chargers

Do you reckon he did that as a pure forward or do you think he might have had a run through the middle??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why doesn't he play as a mid and rest fwd now?

Take most top class pure mids could sit fwd and be damaging.....

Billings has played some midfioeld games and had good numbers when he did. He is probably a bit Schnieder like in that he probably could move into the mid field but his forward pressure and scoring ability are so good he's kept where he does damage. Could be a bit of a Chapman with the ability to go forward or midfield, well Stevie J style too. He has a bit of x factor.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
damienc wrote:Assuming that we still have pick three when they start reading out the names. Who will the Saints take? Who shoud we take? Aish makes sense because he is a true midfielder who has very good decision making skills, good disposal but didn't take too kindly to being tagged in the SANFL Grand Final. He is also AFL reeady. There is a lot to like about Kelly. Has a big tank, good decision making but seems more of a work in progress to me. He needs to spend time in the gym building up his light frame. Billings is a great kick and mark. Personally the guy I like is Bontempelli. He is a tall midfielder who can play forward. He has a big, accurate left foot kick. Ticks all the boxes in my view. Thoughts????

Bontempelli or COD (Cousin of Dal) is a hard one because he is still possibly growing and at 194 he is almost too tall for a running midfield role. His desirability will drop accordingly. I like him too but he is a risk.

I like Schaz and Billing as their talent looks elite while the highly rated mids look too one- dimensional to me. I might be looking red faced when one becomes the next Judd but Kelly and Aish look a bit light and ordinary to me.

I prefer to think those guys in the 18 to 22 picks are looking more exciting midfield prospects- some could be real bargains.

I dont get the to tall for a mid at all. if he is a midfielder and has all the skills of a midfielder I have no idea how you can be to tall for a mid. Im not saying get him. Know nothing about him but his body shape is perfect for our side. The 2 you keep mentioning arent really mids at all and to be honest we need a HBF like we need a hole in the head. i reckon you could say the same about needing a forward who only occasionally plays midfield.

there is no player I rate highly enough to be taken at 3 that plays as a pure mid. Sorry you don't like my opinion. I think I would rather Stevie j or Chapman than Tom Scully with my high pick. The two picks at 18 and what ever we end up with should net Hartung, Dumont, Tsitas, Dunstan, Crouch, sheed, Acres or salem. All those guys I rate higher than Aish or Kelly but wouldn't use the 3rd pick on them. Freeman is the mid I would look at if we had a pick around 8 but Scharenberg i think will be the pick of the bunch and will play games from day one IMO. Billings too looks capable of playing games early which will make our marketing and attractiveness rise to outsiders.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Bontempelli or COD (Cousin of Dal) is a hard one because he is still possibly growing and at 194 he is almost too tall for a running midfield role. His desirability will drop accordingly. I like him too but he is a risk.

I like Schaz and Billing as their talent looks elite while the highly rated mids look too one- dimensional to me. I might be looking red faced when one becomes the next Judd but Kelly and Aish look a bit light and ordinary to me.

I prefer to think those guys in the 18 to 22 picks are looking more exciting midfield prospects- some could be real bargains.

I dont get the to tall for a mid at all. if he is a midfielder and has all the skills of a midfielder I have no idea how you can be to tall for a mid. Im not saying get him. Know nothing about him but his body shape is perfect for our side. The 2 you keep mentioning arent really mids at all and to be honest we need a HBF like we need a hole in the head. i reckon you could say the same about needing a forward who only occasionally plays midfield.

there is no player I rate highly enough to be taken at 3 that plays as a pure mid. Sorry you don't like my opinion. I think I would rather Stevie j or Chapman than Tom Scully with my high pick. The two picks at 18 and what ever we end up with should net Hartung, Dumont, Tsitas, Dunstan, Crouch, sheed, Acres or salem. All those guys I rate higher than Aish or Kelly but wouldn't use the 3rd pick on them. Freeman is the mid I would look at if we had a pick around 8 but Scharenberg i think will be the pick of the bunch and will play games from day one IMO. Billings too looks capable of playing games early which will make our marketing and attractiveness rise to outsiders.

Gringo you need to stop comparing the players in this draft to others to prove your point why we should take a player you want. As I said yesterday id rather Dal or Joey than TDL or Milera. means jack all of it. And you can pick anyone you like, I was just pointing out I have never heard of mid being to tall for a mid.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I like what I've seen and read about Scharenberg. Even with pick 3 there are too many variables;

Will Boyd slip to at least #3?

Will Scharenberg go #1 or 2?

What about Aish?

Are we fully committed to Kelly or Billings?

It's a good discussion point, but way too difficult to accurately predict !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

lewdogs
Club Player

I'd like Kelly personally... looks slick as

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Bontempelli....................... Collingwood got pick 6 and is very much on their radar.............

GWS also interested but will they use pick 2

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Has been compared to Jimmy Bartel in some circles

I do not think he is just a medium/small forward

saint4life
sax
Club Player

Still going through them, bloody hell Scharenberg looks good! Pity it's the go home factor again!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/m ... charenberg

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:

Has been compared to Jimmy Bartel in some circles

I do not think he is just a medium/small forward
copping a bagging from one poster here.

Sounds like he is a total dud.

Obviously if he is a total spud like being suggested,our incompetent, dissarrayed club will take him #3 and he will make Fiora look like Ablett

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

there is no player I rate highly enough to be taken at 3 that plays as a pure mid. Sorry you don't like my opinion. I think I would rather Stevie j or Chapman than Tom Scully with my high pick. The two picks at 18 and what ever we end up with should net Hartung, Dumont, Tsitas, Dunstan, Crouch, sheed, Acres or salem. All those guys I rate higher than Aish or Kelly but wouldn't use the 3rd pick on them. Freeman is the mid I would look at if we had a pick around 8 but Scharenberg i think will be the pick of the bunch and will play games from day one IMO. Billings too looks capable of playing games early which will make our marketing and attractiveness rise to outsiders.[/quote]

Gringo you need to stop comparing the players in this draft to others to prove your point why we should take a player you want. As I said yesterday id rather Dal or Joey than TDL or Milera. means jack all of it. And you can pick anyone you like, I was just pointing out I have never heard of mid being to tall for a mid.[/quote]

Bontempelli is 194 and some say 196 and still growing but he isn't too tall to play as a mid? Maybe we should just draft Longer as a mid then that way you won't stress about it.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:I do not think he is just a medium/small forward
Not having a go Chook but Billings is listed at 184cm - and he may still grow - - I have read quite a few posters list him as a small forward which is just wrong - maybe to suit their agenda of not wanting him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The taller you are.... The further you bend..... The further you bend the more you have to slow to pick it up at ground level....

The tallest true mid I can think of.... Is David Mundy....

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
chook23 wrote:I do not think he is just a medium/small forward
Not having a go Chook but Billings is listed at 184cm - and he may still grow - - I have read quite a few posters list him as a small forward which is just wrong - maybe to suit their agenda of not wanting him.
I was covering the bases as a fwd with med/small..........................my main point though was that he will in time rotate through midfield as well.......also even as the distributor coming of HB........is a beautiful kick

saint4life
RW&B
Club Player

BigMart wrote:The taller you are.... The further you bend..... The further you bend the more you have to slow to pick it up at ground level....

The tallest true mid I can think of.... Is David Mundy....
Adam Goodes played some good footy as a mid. Exception rather than the rule of course.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
Beekay
SS Life Member

If we got Kelly and Hartung, we could possibly have the hardest working midfield in the comp one day.

Though Billings... geez... possibly turn into one of those damaging players that tear the hearts out of opposition fans in a 30 second burst on Grand Final day.

Don' worry about a team that can make a GF, just one that could win one if they were there 8-)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I'm going to call it first.
Before the draft and not in hindsight.

Whoever we take at 3, 18, 19, 24.25 or any other pick will be the wrong pick.
We will have missed out on players we should have taken who are going to be proven as 'guns' because our recruiting staff is the same as the rest of or Admin
A rabble of a club in total disarray.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I'm going to call it first.

We will have missed out on players we should have taken who are going to be proven as 'guns' because our recruiting staff is the same as the rest of or Admin
But you could've called that last week. Should've called it last week.

Dare I say it, your post smacks a bit of "hindsight" :wink:

RW&B
Club Player

3 Kelly
18 Sheed/Dunstan
24 Gardiner

Probably wishful thinking.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
andrewg
Club Player

kelly pick 3
perfect fit

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I'm going to call it first.

But you could've called that last week. Should've called it last week.

Dare I say it, your post smacks a bit of "hindsight" :wink:
You're probably right Doc.
I could have called it last week, or maybe even last month.
So to make amends, I'm prepared to call the 2014 selections now.
Whoever we pick will be wrong.
We have missed out on obvious future champions because our recruiting department are as big a rabble as the rest of our administration.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Gringo you need to stop comparing the players in this draft to others to prove your point why we should take a player you want. As I said yesterday id rather Dal or Joey than TDL or Milera. means jack all of it. And you can pick anyone you like, I was just pointing out I have never heard of mid being to tall for a mid.[/quote]

Bontempelli is 194 and some say 196 and still growing but he isn't too tall to play as a mid? Maybe we should just draft Longer as a mid then that way you won't stress about it.[/quote]

Its simple really. if he has the skills of a mid you can never be to big. If hasnt got the skills of a mid he wouldnt be playing there now or did he grow after the season finished. Explain how you can be to big if he already ha midfield skills?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Magic

Given our current position.... Agree with your comments

Pity they are sarcastic

Do you think we are in a healthy state...

Joffa
Billings is not hopeless.... Xavier Clarke was not hopeless .... Nor Tambling (A jet U18)
He's jus more a HF and I would select a pure midfielder ATM give losses of BJ, Dal, soon to be Lenny, CJ and Joey

But you quote me how you like?