Junior path to AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Junior path to AFL

I am calling on the more wise than me brigade regarding all things AFL
I was thinking about the continual emergence of talented youth that geelong nurse through their ranks - and while I dont want a debate on the merits of geelong - I was intrigued by the methods school kids come to the AFL clubs and specifically securing the talent.
In geelongs case every kid down bellarine way grow up wanting to play for geelong, so they progress through the school kid levels to (?) play for the falcons, good talent would also come via Geelong Grammar etc
So generally what is the path now ?
exactly how does a kid get on to the u18 metro list and can a club secure him at that age?
The AIS AFL academy is now defunct & we dont have the junior scholarship list anymore ( well i dont think we do)
and could someone clarify this for me - if a kid is excellent in the u18 state comp what is stopping him from jumping up to VFL level at age 17?
all input greatly appreciated!

Seeya
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Junior path to AFL

I do not know the in and outs of player recruitment to the U18 TAC teams but looking at the SA and the WA systems quite a few U18 players get to play senior football against grown men in each states senior competition ie: Aish and Dumont this year for Norwood - yet in Victoria none of the U18 elite talent get to experience playing gainst senior bodies until they reach the AFL system unless of course they miss being picked up by TAC cup team and they are recruited through a local league

Is it an advantage that some of the SA and WA U18 elite talent to get to play senior football before reaching the AFL system??

Well youI would think so however it doesnt seem to make a whole lot of difference in the end

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I have read that there is zoning system that effects the recruitment of underage kids into the TAC cup clubs

Ie: If you grew up and played football in the Geelong region are you only then eligible to play for the Geelong Falcons - I assume you cannot be recruited by say the Sandringham Dragons or Gippsland Power??

With Dandenong, Oakleigh, Sandringham and Eastern Ranges all competing for players in the Eastern and Southern metropolitan areas of Melbourne I would be interested to know how are the zoning boundaries are defined - is it by location of the said playe'rs under age league he plays in, the location of the club he plays for or where he resides???

Cheers if anyone knows!!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Yep that's the sort of info I'm after - we haven't done too well out of the NSW scholarship players delisting Ferguson & Kahn ,
So how can the saints own everything east of Seaford?

Seeya
RW&B
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:I have read that there is zoning system that effects the recruitment of underage kids into the TAC cup clubs

Ie: If you grew up and played football in the Geelong region are you only then eligible to play for the Geelong Falcons - I assume you cannot be recruited by say the Sandringham Dragons or Gippsland Power??

With Dandenong, Oakleigh, Sandringham and Eastern Ranges all competing for players in the Eastern and Southern metropolitan areas of Melbourne I would be interested to know how are the zoning boundaries are defined - is it by location of the said playe'rs under age league he plays in, the location of the club he plays for or where he resides???

Cheers if anyone knows!!
Its where you live. I played at Oakleigh with one of my local club teammates and we also had one playing with the Northern Knights and one at the Eastern Ranges.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Yep that's the sort of info I'm after - we haven't done too well out of the NSW scholarship players delisting Ferguson & Kahn ,
So how can the saints own everything east of Seaford?
I don't think scholarship program exists for Victorian players - The AFL scholarship program only extends to NSW/ACT and International players??

Would happy to be corrected if I am wrong???

For us to own everything east of Seaford we would have to build a time machine and head back to 1915 when the AFL incorporated metropolitan zoning into the league and convince them to give us this area - that's is of course f they didnt grant this area to us in the first place?

Can anyone be more specific as to St Kilda's exact metropolitan zoning area in the VFL years?

We would then need to shoot forward to 1985 and stop the VFL abolishing the zoning system and adopting a draft system.

Funnily enough we were involved in two high profile zoning controversies in 1981

The first case concerned St Kilda wingman Doug Cox who had previously played for South Mildura which was in Richmond's country zone, and the other concerning South Me;bourne forward Michael Smith who resided in the St Kilda zone,

These controversies marked the beginning of the end for the VFL zoning system

Of course each club also had a country zone and these came into effect in the mid 60s - we got the Ballart zone which netted us Lockett, Burns, Conningham, Malthouse, to name a few

Hawthorn got the Mornington Peninsula and we know how that turned out :evil:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

RW&B wrote:
Devilhead wrote:I have read that there is zoning system that effects the recruitment of underage kids into the TAC cup clubs

Cheers if anyone knows!!
Its where you live. I played at Oakleigh with one of my local club teammates and we also had one playing with the Northern Knights and one at the Eastern Ranges.
Cheers

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:I am calling on the more wise than me brigade regarding all things AFL
I was thinking about the continual emergence of talented youth that geelong nurse through their ranks - and while I dont want a debate on the merits of geelong - I was intrigued by the methods school kids come to the AFL clubs and specifically securing the talent.
In geelongs case every kid down bellarine way grow up wanting to play for geelong, so they progress through the school kid levels to (?) play for the falcons, good talent would also come via Geelong Grammar etc
So generally what is the path now ?
exactly how does a kid get on to the u18 metro list and can a club secure him at that age?
The AIS AFL academy is now defunct & we dont have the junior scholarship list anymore ( well i dont think we do)
and could someone clarify this for me - if a kid is excellent in the u18 state comp what is stopping him from jumping up to VFL level at age 17?
all input greatly appreciated!
The Geelong regions produces so many talented young players at both AFL and VFL levels it is amazing given we are talking about a regional city. It is due to how strong both the GFL (Geelong Football League) and Geelong Junior Football Leagues are. Many kids playing at the Falcons play senior football at 15 or 16 and then progress to the TAC Cup. They take their local footy very serious and many AFL players are currently playing in this league. This prepares the kids very well. The Geelong Football league is rated number 1 which in turn provides a great platform for young players as these Clubs have the money and resources to teach the kids properly.

AIS is in full force.

TAC Cup is such an elite competition no need for kids to play VFL.

RW&B
Club Player

Jimmy O'Dea wrote: The Geelong regions produces so many talented young players at both AFL and VFL levels it is amazing given we are talking about a regional city. It is due to how strong both the GFL (Geelong Football League) and Geelong Junior Football Leagues are. Many kids playing at the Falcons play senior football at 15 or 16 and then progress to the TAC Cup. They take their local footy very serious and many AFL players are currently playing in this league. This prepares the kids very well. The Geelong Football league is rated number 1 which in turn provides a great platform for young players as these Clubs have the money and resources to teach the kids properly.

AIS is in full force.

TAC Cup is such an elite competition no need for kids to play VFL.
Just curious as to who does the ratings? A local footy reporter on SEN said that Balwyn's mauling of Noble Park in the EFL grand final this year was possibly the best performance by a local club ever.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007