Rohan Connolly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Rohan Connolly

I see Rohan 'Essendon' Connolly has had (yet another) go at the Saints' 'culture' in the Sunday Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... =text-only

He says any mention of the club's culture 'makes a Saints supporter groan with exasperation.'

No, buddy....what makes me groan with exasperation is that someone who supports a club of over-rated drug cheats, who worships the very ground on which James Tird walks, who has faith in Mark Fish Lips Thompson, is having a go at us!

Over the past ten years just about every club has had a coach sacked at some point.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rohan Connolly

He's not having a go at us, he's just reporting facts.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
dartos
Club Player

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Coaches/Sacked.html

Are we so different to other clubs?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:I see Rohan 'Essendon' Connolly has had (yet another) go at the Saints' 'culture' in the Sunday Age.

He says any mention of the club's culture 'makes a Saints supporter groan with exasperation.'

No, buddy....what makes me groan with exasperation is that someone who supports a club of over-rated drug cheats, who worships the very ground on which James Tird walks, who has faith in Mark Fish Lips Thompson, is having a go at us!

Over the past ten years just about every club has had a coach sacked at some point.
very valid comments......i once wrote the dropkick a letter after he kept ranting on that banger should not have won a brownlow and that carey was a far more worthy recipient.......i told him that the brownlow was for fairest and best....not just best.....that he didn't know his football if he thought banger was unworthy...he rang me up.....opening words were..."har....i've tracked you down......told him i wasn't hidding ..otherwise i wouldn't have given him my name and address..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll: :roll: :roll: ...flowering journos..... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
I Love Peter Kiel wrote:I see Rohan 'Essendon' Connolly has had (yet another) go at the Saints' 'culture' in the Sunday Age.

very valid comments......i once wrote the dropkick a letter after he kept ranting on that banger should not have won a brownlow and that carey was a far more worthy recipient.......i told him that the brownlow was for fairest and best....not just best.....that he didn't know his football if he thought banger was unworthy...he rang me up.....opening words were..."har....i've tracked you down......told him i wasn't hidding ..otherwise i wouldn't have given him my name and address..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll: :roll: :roll: ...flowering journos..... :roll:

Do you like anyone?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I thought he actually sort of let us off the Watters saga looking like it was a poor recruitment rather than a current piece of bumbling. I think his point on success papering over most cracks is true too. Nothing like winning to make people love each other.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

How that guy is still employed is beyond me.. Was a disgrace throughout the whole doping saga.. Continues to be.. Will not read or listen to anything he's involved with again.. Unless he takes the stage at the comedy festival..

falka
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:How that guy is still employed is beyond me.. Was a disgrace throughout the whole doping saga.. Continues to be.. Will not read or listen to anything he's involved with again.. Unless he takes the stage at the comedy festival..
Complete arse clown this bloke.
Sad to think he is employed in media at all.

He was digging at our culture. Seemed to be the only thing we did wrong was that clause in Ross's contract and some missed goals in gf's. How is that indicative of club culture. It is lazy journalism. $2.80 for that on a Sunday, never again

gringo
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:
Sobraz wrote:How that guy is still employed is beyond me.. Was a disgrace throughout the whole doping saga.. Continues to be.. Will not read or listen to anything he's involved with again.. Unless he takes the stage at the comedy festival..
Complete arse clown this bloke.
Sad to think he is employed in media at all.

He was digging at our culture. Seemed to be the only thing we did wrong was that clause in Ross's contract and some missed goals in gf's. How is that indicative of club culture. It is lazy journalism. $2.80 for that on a Sunday, never again

It was our mate GT that ran with the culture thing. Connolly seemed to be saying if a toe poke had gone our way then no one would mention our culture.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

He hasn't ever gone overboard nor shown exasperation that the now suspended coach got his injections with the Windy Hill environs nor does he feel concerned over the whispered habits of the current coach. And he points the finger at our "culture" .

70s sainter
Club Player

I actually liked his article. Ive always thought how the perception of our so called culture would have been perceived if we had of won one or two of those grannies. Premiership winners are untouchable. Members are satisfied and proud. Players walk taller and are happier to stay and mentor. The club is richer due to sponsors and members. New players coming into the club are in awe of the clubs achievements. New coaches know they have to respect the past.
And people generally respect the club more.
We were so close to having all of that and i think thats the point he was making.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

He's a Hawks supporter

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:I actually liked his article. Ive always thought how the perception of our so called culture would have been perceived if we had of won one or two of those grannies. Premiership winners are untouchable. Members are satisfied and proud. Players walk taller and are happier to stay and mentor. The club is richer due to sponsors and members. New players coming into the club are in awe of the clubs achievements. New coaches know they have to respect the past.
And people generally respect the club more.
We were so close to having all of that and i think thats the point he was making.

Mo it wasn't.

He was having a dig.

The point was, no matter how close we got, we still had a sh!t culture.

He should call it on his own bombers. I tweeted him on it as well.

Conolly is a f***wit and he's biased and compromised.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:He's a Hawks supporter
No.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:He's a Hawks supporter
Essendon.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Freebird
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

Do you like anyone?
Can't see what this has to do with the subject....how many official warnings have you had?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

another one who gets a gig on SEN and starts believing in his own "legend", he was on half time last week going on about MUSIC for goodness sake! (not that he's not allowed to have taste in music) on a SPORTS station! Just listen to the way he "deals" with anyone who rings up with anything unaligned in the slightest way to his opinion! I don't often agree with Michael Malthouse but just LURVED it when he gave Connolly that serve!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Johnny Favier
Club Player

It'd be nice to think that in some alternate universe somewhere, Scarlett's attempt at a toe-poke turned into a fresh-airy with the ball bouncing through to Kosi who then ran to 50 and unloaded the winning goal...or...Milney's bad bounce actually sat up and he grabbed the ball and ran into an open goal to kick the sealer. 8-)

Unfortunately, we all live in this universe... :roll:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Footy god blows, I want to punch him/her.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:another one who gets a gig on SEN and starts believing in his own "legend", he was on half time last week going on about MUSIC for goodness sake! (not that he's not allowed to have taste in music) on a SPORTS station! Just listen to the way he "deals" with anyone who rings up with anything unaligned in the slightest way to his opinion! I don't often agree with Michael Malthouse but just LURVED it when he gave Connolly that serve!
His late brother was a member of Paul Kelly's Coloured Girls. Can't see what talking about music on SEN has to do with today's article.

Why do you listen to SEN, if you don't like the broadcasters, and for gods sake how could you enjoy anything grumpy Mick has to say?

You seem to be relishing your contributions to said radio station (from what I'm told). Are you starting to believe in your own "legend"?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:another one who gets a gig on SEN and starts believing in his own "legend", he was on half time last week going on about MUSIC for goodness sake! (not that he's not allowed to have taste in music) on a SPORTS station! Just listen to the way he "deals" with anyone who rings up with anything unaligned in the slightest way to his opinion! I don't often agree with Michael Malthouse but just LURVED it when he gave Connolly that serve!
I'm pretty sure he was the music critic at one of the papers.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
His late brother was a member of Paul Kelly's Coloured Girls.
Oh man, Steve was a GREAT player. Had no idea they were brothers.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
bozza1980
Club Player

I read the article differently.

I actually read it as questioning the Dermie like responses that Watters' sacking was further evidence of poor culture. He poses the hypothetical "if we won 1 or both gf's" would culture even be a question and by extension if it wasnt how can two bounces of a ball mean something different.

There have been a number of ordinary whacks from the media in the last month or so, this isnt another. Further if we are going to jump out of gear over this type of article, we are going to doing a lot of jumping next year, with another bottom 4-6 finish likely, we will lose count of the whacks coming our way.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:I read the article differently.

I actually read it as questioning the Dermie like responses that Watters' sacking was further evidence of poor culture. He poses the hypothetical "if we won 1 or both gf's" would culture even be a question and by extension if it wasnt how can two bounces of a ball mean something different.

There have been a number of ordinary whacks from the media in the last month or so, this isnt another. Further if we are going to jump out of gear over this type of article, we are going to doing a lot of jumping next year, with another bottom 4-6 finish likely, we will lose count of the whacks coming our way.
how I read it as well.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Bernard Shakey"][quote="thejiggingsaint"]another one who gets a gig on SEN and starts believing in his own "legend", he was on half time last week going on about MUSIC for goodness sake! (not that he's not allowed to have taste in music) on a SPORTS station! Just listen to the way he "deals" with anyone who rings up with anything unaligned in the slightest way to his opinion! I don't often agree with Michael Malthouse but just LURVED it when he gave Connolly that serve![/quote]

His late brother was a member of Paul Kelly's Coloured Girls. Can't see what talking about music on SEN has to do with today's article.

Why do you listen to SEN, if you don't like the broadcasters, and for gods sake how could you enjoy anything grumpy Mick has to say?

You seem to be relishing your contributions to said radio station (from what I'm told). Are you starting to believe in your own "legend"?[/quote]

Good one BS! Suitably mortified! :oops:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)