We know where we're going

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

We know where we're going

Hi all,

Yesterday I read something that really inspired me with confidence in regards to the future of this football club, so I thought I'd share it here with you all, interspersed with my comments, and get to know if the fine people of saintsational share/believe/hope in this vision of where the club is going. I fervently do. I believe we all need to unite together as supporters of this team and get behind Richo all the way and that that 2nd premiership we deserve will be delivered, and once we break that premiership drought, we will enter a golden age that will last for decades, and the status quo of the power clubs and the media always crapping all over st.kilda that we all know so well will finally be cast off and forgotten. St.kilda people simply can't imagine things being any other way but for the first time, we have history on our side. Carlton, Essendon; two clubs whose glory days are behind them. In the future it will be St.kilda who regularly play off in the big time... It's already started since the days of sheldon... 4 GF appearances in 15-odd years, but now I'm saying too much and stealing the thunder of the thing that inspired me....

What I read was an article on a news/sports website, entitled "Lessons for St.Kilda's next coach." It wasn't the article that inspired me (though it did illuminate the SW sacking in a way I hadn't before seen), but one particular poster's comments in the comment section below. But it's better if you read those comments in context, so here is the article:
Lessons for St Kilda's next coach
Wednesday, November 06, 2013
Source: SportsFan

Adam Jones

What have we learned from Scott Watters' two years in charge of St Kilda?

Following the abrupt sacking of Scott Watters, St Kilda have put together a six-man panel to find their next head coach. The list of contenders includes former Port Adelaide premiership-winning coach Mark Williams, club legend Robert Harvey and highly-rated senior assistant Alan Richardson.

The new coach has the unenvious task of developing one of the worst lists in the AFL. It will be nothing but short-term pain for the Saints, who we expect to give GWS a real shake for the wooden spoon in 2014.

On the plus side, the next man to sit in the hot seat can look at Watters' short stint at the top as a perfect example of what not to do. Here are six lessons we learned from St Kilda's former coach:

Lesson #1: Think before you speak

AFL coaches must know how to condense their vision for a footy club down to a clear, unambiguous message. Watters often engaged in mixed messages over his two-year reign. He was slow to respond in public to St Kilda's need to rebuild, resulting in some alarm when the Saints suddenly fell through the floor this year. Watters' media performances could be terrible, such as his oft-mocked "juggernaut" remark. His press conference after the loss to the Swans in Wellington, in which he called Sydney's off-the-ball blocking "pretty interesting," was another low point, as was his failure to adequately explain or defend the decision to play Ahmed Saad in round 19.

Lesson #2: Respect the history of the club

At St Kilda's best and fairest night in September, Watters said to his players: "For too long our club has not aspired to be great, on and off the field. It's time to step up or step down." It was a rather galling thing to say about a club that had won the minor premiership in 2009 and come within one point of winning the 2010 flag, and it cannot have been received well. He was publicly critical of the "bubble" that developed under Ross Lyon, despite its obvious success, and accused the club of not doing enough for supporters. He also took a number of public swipes at his recruiting team for their past efforts.

Lesson #3: Keep the senior players onside

There are reports that, in the days following the dwarf burning incident, Watters tore shreds off his players and accused them of living on former glories. Whether it is true or not, the fact that Nick Riewoldt has remained in Texas and not made a peep since word of the sacking broke speaks volumes. Watters had lost the captain. He turned the man who stands for St Kilda more than any other (as well as one of the most powerful men at the Saints) against him. It was a monumental error from a first-term coach with little in the way of on-field success or public support to back him up.

Lesson #4: Don't get ahead of yourself

Watters' attempts to secure a contract extension midway through his second year were blocked by St Kilda, and yet he never seemed to grasp the precariousness of his position. In the hours before he was given the boot, he cheerfully told SEN Radio there had been "not one" discussion about his sacking. He also claimed that club president Peter Summers saw him as a long-term coach. Watters apparently felt he had done enough to win a new contract and therefore proceeded to act like a man whose future was already secured. While living under the illusion of his own importance to the club, he went about burning bridges, eventually sealing his own fate.

Lesson #5: Trust the people around you

Senior assistant Dean Laidley quit St Kilda to join Carlton late last month. Fellow assistant Jaymie Graham and fitness boss Bill Davoren also walked out on the club. The mini-exodus is believed to have been sparked by Watters' heavy-handed approach to coaching. Afraid or unwilling to delegate to his assistants, Watters became a control freak who wanted final say on all aspects of the footy department. Stories have emerged of the coach making tactical changes by the seat of his pants on game day, rubber-stamping personnel decisions without consulting his match committee and trying to be an all-seeing eye at training.

Lesson #6: Or just win some games

It's easier said than done when you're wielding a list as poor as St Kilda's, but winning is a cure-all. Successful coaches are very rarely let go. Winning just five games in 2013 was hardly the fault of Scott Watters alone, but the fact remains that if the Saints had won three-to-five more, he probably would have seen out his contract.

In the comments section below the article, the comments go about their merry way laying the boots into st.kilda, until one poster, STRATOS, who appears to have knowledge of the goings-on of the St.kilda inner-sanctum and whose speech style reminds me of Steven J. Peake on SEN, comes along and IMHO does the st.kilda name proud and speaks the truth and the truth is enough to wallop those other clubs supporters into submission, because in truth, we are a greater club than essendon, carlton, collingwood, richmond, and time will prove it.... Here are the comments:
Sameoldsaints • 10 days ago −
Why is it unsafe to swim at St Kilda beach?

Because they only have one flag...

sandyman3191 • 10 days ago
On point 5 and people walking out - it's not unusual for assistant coaches to move around at end of season, and according to others with pretty good contacts (thanks Dermie), the problem for those coaches was Pelchen, not Watters.

"Stories have emerged of the coach making tactical changes by the seat of his pants on game day" - wow, who ever heard of a coach making quick tactical moves on match day!

"and trying to be an all-seeing eye at training" - yep, bad move, should have stayed in his office reviewing video rather than watching how players were performing on the track.

Wayne • 10 days ago
Watson, Blight, Watters, the list grows. Make it work, don't expect an overnight success, build a respectable, dedicated culture on and off the field. Value your players, supporters and sponsors and refresh the St Kilda brand.

St Kilda Beach...One Flag....Classic

jim • 10 days ago −
"a perfect example of what not to do" pretty harsh adam, I reckon there are worse coaches around then scott waters. i'm blaming the sacking on the club and culture.

Hung One On • 11 days ago
"a club that had won the minor premiership in 2009 and come within one point of winning the 2010 flag..." This is not greatness, Watters was right. St Kilda are a terrible club, one flag in 140 years. Kick them out.

zoro • 5 days ago −
cant help but agree with you hung one on, kick them out !!! I'd vote for it

joe Hung One On • 10 days ago −
Hung One On.......with every St.Kilda story on this site, I see the same bias, negative comments by you in these comments area. You've given your views, move on and go bagmouth another team thats down on some other forum. Stop wasting space mate

Hung One On joe • 10 days ago
Look, Joe, mate, if you don't like what I say then just close your eyes, then it will go away. Oh and it is "badmouth" and yes Saints are losers.

bk • 10 days ago
they should send them to tassie. like sending a kid to the naughty corner

Sora96 Hung One On • 10 days ago
League started in 1897 mate. I see your point but still.

Hung One On Sora96 • 10 days ago
Well they were established in 1873 therefore 2013-1873=140 but I see your point. West Coast were established in 1986 which to me was when the VFL decided to expand itself so in theory we can wipe anything prior to 1987 meaning St Kilda have never won a flag. Bliss.

fred • 11 days ago
What a lot of crap! Who wrote this?It is so one sided against Watters. Who simply told it like it is. McEvoy about to hit his prime traded to Hawthorn. Pelchen still works for Hawks.

Daihoo • 9 days ago
Like Malcolm Bligh. St Kilda are losers. They are skilled in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
...And now, here comes STRATOS
STRATOS • 10 days ago −
first congragulations to Stkilda making the tough decisions. Secondly brereton focus on your clubs collingwood and hawthorn and STAY AWAY FROM STKILDA BUSINESS. Thirdly STKILDA culture has been strong since the days of sheldon. 4 grandfinal appearances 7 since 1965 verses 2 by melbourne and 0 by dogs. But for STKILDA THIS IS NOT ENOUGH we want the ultimate and will pursue it with the ruthlessness shown by administration who had the guts to do this now. Finally as for our list that stands now read this josh bruce, billy longer, saunders, newnes, siposs, stanley, stevens, improving armitage, markworth everyone watch this kid, spencer white, tom lee, webster, roberton, nathan wright, 3 midfielders we will draft in top 20, delaney ever reliable, sebation ross, pierce who will develop into another ruckman can hold his own. Majority are 18 to 21 age range. LETS LOOK AT LEADERS revolt, hayes, montagna. 2 will stay minimum 2 years plenty of time to develop other leaders. forgot sam fisher. mid tier leadership group geary, gwilt, and gilbert experience grandfinals. Yes strategically our list has addressed key defenders delaney and bruce after this draft very likely that STKILDA will address midfield balances with billings, hartung, and lennon within our reach as well as other midfielders of the calibre of dunstan. There is more wait until chris pelchen reveals our plans for the next three drafts before we raid free agency in 2016 with stand alone reserves team in vfl. MAKE KNOW MISTAKE WE WILL CHALLENGE 2017 onwards for the first time history is on our side. THE ULTIMATE IS WHAT WE WANT GET USED TO WATCHING STKILDA PLAYING OF IN GRANDINALS IN NEXT FEW YEARS OOHHH I FORGOT YOU ARE ALREADY USED TO IT.

Hung One On STRATOS • 9 days ago
How's your parole hearing going?

Name Hung One On • 9 days ago
You're a loser. The Saints are actuallt the best team in the AFL. Go look it up.

Hung One On Name • 9 days ago −
Thanks Name, I went and looked it up, dear oh dear, a litany of woes. St Kilda are even bigger losers then I thought they were. Interestingly, Carlton must lick their collective lips when facing the Saints, go look it up, loser.

stephen scott Hung One On • 4 days ago −
Carlton beat St.Kilda, not much recently, actually we have thumped them on numerous occasions, go look that up Hoo

Hung One On stephen scott • 4 days ago −
Not in finals Stephen

STRATOS Hung One On • 3 days ago
hung one on carlton live of the past they should have striped them of 87 and 95 flags because of cheating the salary cap under elliot you know that And what about all the scandals elliot covered up during his reign at carlton. Your list is a joke and culture is a joke george harris and wes lofts are fuming the way carlton is run these days. Your list has no hope of winning a flag and rebuild is needed. Maybe 15 years away from grandfinal dont kid youeself. Whdy dont you pick on your mates essendon who are salary cap cheats like yourself with their ASADA crap and putting the game in disrepute. Who knows maybe WADA will find more on your mates at essendon time will tell. Or maybe you should knock on the door of coll and thank them for giving you the scraps of their table when feeling sorry for you and giving you their used by date coach. As for STKILDA WE KNOW WERE WE HEADING WE WILL ACHIEVE THE ULTIMATE SHORTLY while you dwell on your ancient history no longer hung one on but one hung on hahaha. I only deal with the facts and those who know me well know that i have been spot on in the past. I choose to support a club that had achieved little success in 1979 rather than a club spoilt with it so i could see it become great while they the majority choose clubs that were popular because of their success. It is the challenge that drives us to see this club achieve greatness many people fail to understand.But i can say this the club is different from 1974 to 1986 to what it is now. The STKILDA club has now strong foundations. But you wouldnt understand that as you are the voice of popular opinion. If Allan Jeans, and Tom Hafey listen those voices they would not have achieved the successes they achieved.

stephen scott • 4 days ago
@Adam Jones, from 2 articles that i have read here, it seems you don't like St.Kilda, that's ok, but stating that they have a 'poor list' is just ignorant and immature. West Coast had a poor overall result last season, prior reports were that they were going to contend for top 4?
Go report something substantial.

SportsFanHQ Mod stephen scott • 4 days ago
Hi Stephen,
Perhaps you would like to read what Adam wrote about the Eagles being top four contenders before the start of last season. You will find that he was one of the lone voices saying they would not be premiership material and could indeed miss the finals altogether. We'll stick with his impartial list assessments, if it is all the same to you.

Stoney • 7 days ago
Saints are a club that love to eat there own. The man at the centre of all the problems is Pelchen. The board should send him on his way or the issues will continue.

stephen scott Stoney • 4 days ago
Pelchen won't go but his "mad mate" in 'Choco" will come and sort him out.

Pete • 8 days ago
As a CATS fan, I really enjoyed the rise of the underdog Saints under Thomas. How often do you see successful clubs changing coaches? Bomber Thompson was at a low point in 05 and 06 and look what happened after the club pushed through the difficult times. Saints fans should be terribly angry at their administrators! It doesn't get much worse than how this club operate. If Watters was that bad, it says a lot about the leadership allowing him to operate in poorly planned work environments.
Get rid of the saints and bring back the Roys! What an amateur club...

STRATOS Pete • 8 days ago −
pete i now more about youre club than you know about mine. I can tell you STKILDA is strategically placed at this point in its history where geelong was in 2001 with youngsters who inherited a team that had already lost grandfinals but had a vision to correct it. As for your administration after the review of 2006 bomber thomspon nearly lost his job as many on the board wanted him sacked. It was your president who intervened and saved him giving him a one year reprieve. As for your comments on our board you dont know what your talking about. Watters was sacked for a good reason which i will not disclose as this is STKILDA BUSINESS. As for STKILDA we have no intention in leaving the AFL as for the roys they were a disgrace the way they were run of the field. Losers like you and hung one on have no credibility i deal with facts. Yours is a personal vendetta with STKILDA that bomber started. When you lost grandfinals in the 90s our supporters didnt rubbish your club. In a few years when we recieve the cup i will enjoy it even more. Get used to it watching STKILDA in the big time again where we belong. All of you will be eating your words in a few years. THE TIME OF RUBBISHING AND TAKING CHEAP SHOTS AT STKILDA IS COMING TO AN END.

aflsupporter • 10 days ago −
Saints need a complete clean out from top to bottom ....... including Players, Administration and Board to fix all their problems and so long as 'old fodder' still remains ....... nothing will change !!
Whilst I and everyone else were not privy to exactly what went on at the Saints, the one name that seemed to keep bobbing up in all directions was Pelchen...... and he is now going to head the new committee to select the new coach.
Should have a committee completely made up of all neutral people ...... not involved with St. Kilda to try and solve and work out what is going on, and until they do this nothing will change unfortunately for all Saints fans.
Future surely can only get better for the club ...... with a bit of luck.

STRATOS aflsupporter • 9 days ago
STKILDA does not need a clean out because it has had success in the last ten years. Chris Pelchen has resurrected the list. You are right when you say you are not privy to what goes on at STKILDA. I will let you on a secret some influential reporters in the media today are not ethical with their reporting they have vested interests in their popular clubs remaining dominant and deliberately undermine STKILDA. A perfect example is Chris Pelchen. His record stands for itself he coordinated the port adelaide and hawthorn successes putting the structures in place for their 3 premerships which should have been 5. Buckernera was a great recruiting officer but make no mistake Pelchen put the structures in place for their recruiters to do the job. Why is it that the media are trying to instigate Pelchens removal simple to destroy us. Grant thomas and Rod Butters copped that criticism by the media at the height of the dominance by STKILDA and eventually the relationship cracked. I know for a fact the media instigated the personality clashes which created an environment where both parties could not resolve footy matter grievances. STKILDA of today has strong structures that developed from butters years to the present. The club has self belief and confidence in itself after comming so close in 2009 and 2010. The list has been transformed and we now have top class talent and plans in place where we believe STKILDA will be in finals in two years time and challenging in 4 years with what we accomplished in the last three drafts including this one. The reality is Chris Pelchen will be at the club for many years he will honour his friendship of 25 years with ALLAN JEANS and a dying mans wish to Chris Pelchen you are the custodians of this club to make us great you have to make the unpopular decisions. Make those decisions no matter how unpopular they are and make us GREAT. The media will continue to run stories on STKILDA but something has changed the young footballers of today see STKILDA as a successful well run football club that came close and do not buy in the rubbish of the media. Evidence ask Savage, Josh Bruce, Billy Longer, Delaney, and Maverick Weller

I've gotta say, if it's people like STRATOS who are in charge of running the St.k.fc, I for one am very confident.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
beartalbot
Club Player

Re: We know where we're going

The powers of positive thinking. Wouldn't it be great if all Saints supporters on here were as positive as STRATOS and got behind the club. Personally, I feel that the changes instigated by Pelchen and co. are refreshing. The influx of youth to fill necessary gaps, new coach, as well as achieving 3 draft picks in the first 20 should give us a fresh start to rising to our rightful position on the AFL ladder. All we need now is Summers and the new CEO to be make strong decisions re our future, as well as delivering the necessary Sponsorship we need to compete with the so called "Power Clubs".
I for one will be buying my family memberships for Christmas.

BEAR
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

But how do you make such a monumental f up in the first place hiring the dwarf?

He was just talking spin free often. saying what he believed in.

Clearly he either lied during his interview or the questioning wasn't adequate.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
beartalbot
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:But how do you make such a monumental f up in the first place hiring the dwarf?

He was just talking spin free often. saying what he believed in.

Clearly he either lied during his interview or the questioning wasn't adequate.

Agree in hindsight. I think that we like Melbourne, desperate for a Coach, got sucked in by Collingwoods success in 2010.
At that time everyone, including the media, felt that those assistants under Malthouse were the next coaching Messiahs.
Hence Neeld, Watters and Buckley all got jobs in the following years. No success there as yet.

BEAR
Greg T
Club Player

Thanks for sharing that.
Enjoyable reading I must say.
The club Is well and truly on the right track,and if it took hiring a dud(Watters) to get us to this level now,so be it.
We've got a great coach now,or I think he'll will be, and I'm quite positive about the board in place now.
The last ten years have been great for our club,but I feel the next ten will be fantastic as well...

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stratos! Love that guy! Big Fan!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Love the work by Stratos. I wonder how close to the club Stratos is.

I love this club
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Well we know where we're going. Let's hope it finishes better than the rest of the lyrics!!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:Love the work by Stratos. I wonder how close to the club Stratos is.

No offense to Stratos but he doesn't seem like a club plant but they may deliberately dumb down to sound like the great unwashed.

paul napper

Good one stratos

no one on this forum has mentioned the collective capacity of our Board , in the last weeks.

The oh so opinionated ones spouting about recent decisions clearly know little about the business and governance capacity of our Board

eg Ian mcleod CEO of Coles , one of the highest paid CEOs in Australia, earns more than his Group CEO the boss of Wesfarmers Ltd , was a Board member of Celtic FC in Scotland . Has lifted Coles from an also ran to a high performing business again . Do you really think they are intimidated by short term financial hiccups

RING any BELLS.

The keyboard legends who live tiny lives with no clue about real world managing need to get some real perspective , as do the media morons who feed here for their daily vomit.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

paul napper wrote:eg Ian mcleod CEO of Coles , one of the highest paid CEOs in Australia...
Sol Trujillo got about $11m a year, pretty similar to McLeod. He managed to destroy about $25b in less than four years.

Tom Albanese and Marius Kloppers were both well over $10m a year when they got the arses earlier this year, with pretty mixed results.

Then there's someone like Lloyd Blankfein at Goldman Sachs. He drove them head first into the side of the GFC without any repercussions.

Not to mention Demetriou earning well over $2m.

I'm sure there are some good CEOs out there but I'm not sure pay packets are the right way to measure it.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

paul napper wrote:Good one stratos

no one on this forum has mentioned the collective capacity of our Board , in the last weeks.

The oh so opinionated ones spouting about recent decisions clearly know little about the business and governance capacity of our Board

eg Ian mcleod CEO of Coles , one of the highest paid CEOs in Australia, earns more than his Group CEO the boss of Wesfarmers Ltd , was a Board member of Celtic FC in Scotland . Has lifted Coles from an also ran to a high performing business again . Do you really think they are intimidated by short term financial hiccups

RING any BELLS.

The keyboard legends who live tiny lives with no clue about real world managing need to get some real perspective , as do the media morons who feed here for their daily vomit.
Hi Paul, I can understand why you didn't use the AVJ CEO as an example to back your point. :wink:

But there actually has been a lot of discussion (for and against) on here re the 'real world' managing and business acumen of our Board members.

I also agree with Bergs' that salary alone is not a good way to measure the performance of a CEO. Plenty of highly paid duds..., and worse, plenty of highly paid crooks.

One could also take the salary argument in the other direction... Warren B only pays himself about $150K per year coz he believes that CEO renumeration is generally way over the top. How much was Netters on again? Have we thought of offering the gig to Warren... we could actually afford him(?) :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: