Blake Acres (St Kilda - Pick 19)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TwoTowers
Club Player

Blake Acres (St Kilda - Pick 19)

I'm posting some great analysis by Kristian from Footy Tragic. Apologies if anyone has already posted. Kristian follows these boys very closely as you can see from the comments and doesn't pay any attention to the other phantom drafts. He had Blake Acres going at pick 6 (one past Billings who he had at pick 5).

BLAKE ACRES

Height: 190cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 7/10/1995

Recruited from: West Perth

Just like I feel the South Australian boys are getting underrated, I reckon two boys from Western Australia aren’t getting the accolades they deserve either. Dom Sheed is one of them, but then you’ve got Blake Acres. I’ll go on record and say that Acres could be the pick of the lot (apart from Boyd) when you look back in ten years time.

Like Dom Sheed, Acres’ exposure has been limited due to injury, but what he’s done simply can’t be ignored. He did his shoulder in May and could’ve had surgery straight away, but he decided to wait until the end of the season because he desperately wanted to play in the Championships. Acres is at his best when he’s flying for his marks and cracking in and getting the hard ball. He just couldn’t do that at the Champs, but it was a massive tick in my opinion because it shows the kid has guts.

Most guys I know from WA cannot speak highly enough of Acres and some proclaim him to the best of their current group. He’s a very tall and big midfielder who is just class all around the ground and is very versatile.

Acres has played all of his U/18 footy at Colts level for West Perth. He played 20 games in 2012, but only hit his straps in the last six weeks where he averaged 22 disposals. He showed it was a sign of things to come, and his form in the Colts this year was nothing short of outstanding. He averaged 27 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles and a goal a game from his nine matches. He missed about five weeks when he did his shoulder but then came back and played two more games before the Champs started and got 31 disposals and 2 goals in his first game back and 28 disposals and 3 goals in his second game back. It looked like he’d be able to get through the Champs but in the first few minutes of his first game his shoulder came out again (he kicked a goal from the boundary in the first 20 seconds). He played on and still got 15 disposals but in game two he just couldn’t go on and he had surgery straight after that. I have no doubt we’d be talking about a potential top five pick if Acres was injury free because he was in rare form. Regardless, I had seen enough there for him to be this high for me and probably a bit unlucky to be a little higher.

Athletically Acres excels, but at the Combine his results were way out compared to the results that were given to clubs when all the WA players did their Combine at the start of the WAFL season. This was to be expected given his shoulder surgery but he still rocked up and tested. His results at the WA Combine were quite remarkable. He ran a 2.94 second 20 metre sprint (would’ve been top 10% at the Draft Combine), top 8% in agility, top 13% in the standing vertical, top 2% in running vertical and he ran a 15.2 beep test.

Acres is a very good user of the football. His kicking ranks right up there and he makes good decisions as well. He has been used off the backline because of this and he’s capable of cutting teams open with his run and precision. His overhead marking is also feature and I hope it won’t be hampered by the shoulder injury. Acres flies for his marks and one-on-one he’s rarely beaten but in a pack he’s a delight to watch when he goes for them. His hands are vice-like.

Long-term I see Acres playing in the midfield. With his aerobic capacity and ball-winning ability, I can’t see him being anywhere else. His ability to go forward will make him an incredibly hard match-up. He loves the contest and we didn’t get to see that during the Champs because he was conscious about his shoulder. Acres is an incredible talent who will probably go in the late first round on draft night, but I really believe whoever gets him will have gotten themselves an absolute steal. I can see him being the guy in a few years that we all look back on and think ‘how did he slip all the way there’.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: Blake Acres

awesome! 8-)

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks for posting this, pretty much outlines the reasons why I am so so so excited by his selection. Anyone disappointed with Acres, will never be happy with our club. Amazingly good, claiming it, he is my boy! (Just shave that fluff off the top lip though would you boy!)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

So we did O.K. at pick 19.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:So we did O.K. at pick 19.
better than ok Ace! :)

Strength through Loyalty
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Thanks for posting this, pretty much outlines the reasons why I am so so so excited by his selection. Anyone disappointed with Acres, will never be happy with our club. Amazingly good, claiming it, he is my boy! (Just shave that fluff off the top lip though would you boy!)
not knowing anything about any of these players other than what I read... was a tad disappointed with this pick initially. Seemed underwhelming compared to the rest.

Hard to be disappointed with that read though... sounds like a gem

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:
St Ick wrote:Thanks for posting this, pretty much outlines the reasons why I am so so so excited by his selection. Anyone disappointed with Acres, will never be happy with our club. Amazingly good, claiming it, he is my boy! (Just shave that fluff off the top lip though would you boy!)
not knowing anything about any of these players other than what I read... was a tad disappointed with this pick initially. Seemed underwhelming compared to the rest.

Just to convince yourself, watch the afl.com.au video on him, not the pick me one but the other one. Best highlights package I've ever seen to be honest.

Strength through Loyalty
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Blake Acres (St Kilda - Pick 19)

Great name...

Ross who?
Club Player

Wow! Big wraps from Kristian there. Hope he his right! Looks like he might be a bit of a steal. It looked like our recruiting guys couldnt wait to get his name out.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Exactly what we have been craving for years. A tall midfielder with a big engine. Thank heaven!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:

http://www.afl.com.au/2013-draft/draft-machine/ check out the video for Acres, and the goal at the start I keep going on about :D

Strength through Loyalty
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Just to convince yourself, watch the afl.com.au video on him, not the pick me one but the other one. Best highlights package I've ever seen to be honest.
Link for old people?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Haha, click on the draft machine link, then click on Acres once that loads, second player on the list from memory.

Strength through Loyalty
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Haha, click on the draft machine link, then click on Acres once that loads, second player on the list from memory.

Got it thanks

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

What a steal. Plays like Nat Fyfe but much better skills

Scoop
Club Player

This will be an outstanding pick....I'am absolutely wrapt that we got him....he is a beauty!! :D

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im rapt

Apparently Elshaugh flew to Perth twice this year just to watch and talk to Blake - So i imagine he is rapt to get him at 19....

kp83
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:What a steal. Plays like Nat Fyfe but much better skills
:shock: :D :D :D

rexy
SS Life Member

Has a fair bit of BJ about him in the highlights I have seen and this write up would suggest same, tall mid, flies for more marks, good user, comfortable off half back!
Happy!

Maybe this year?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
skeptic wrote:

http://www.afl.com.au/2013-draft/draft-machine/ check out the video for Acres, and the goal at the start I keep going on about :D
a lot to like

big thumbs up

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:Wow! Big wraps from Kristian there.
And afterwards:

@kristianpisano: Absolutely love the Blake Acres get from the Saints. Could be the guy we look back on and ask 'how the hell did he slip through'.

:)

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
And afterwards:

@kristianpisano: Absolutely love the Blake
Gotta love the Blake!

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
And afterwards:

@kristianpisano: Absolutely love the Blake
Gotta love the Blake!
Yep, lovin' the Blake!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Runs a bit like Silvagni. Seems to play both tall and small. Likes a goal.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Blake has to have jumper 27!!

saint4life