Saints in Milne legal funds row

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints in Milne legal funds row

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
samwell wrote:How about getting a lawyer you can afford like any other alleged rapist has to
Why can't any other alleged rapist get financial assistance from those close to him/her?

I think this is ridiculous.

The players close to Milne, clearly, obviously think he is absolutely innocent. They love him, respect him, and played alongside him for 10 years after the incident. They clearly think he is innocent.

When another person was accused of rape, they received no support from anyone. So there is a precedence that if the players thought Milne was guilty, they'd have barred him too.

This, not for a second, means he is actually innocent or not. It simply means that his close friends, one of whom was present at the time, clearly believe he is.

So if they, off their own bats, hit up some cashed up people they know, whether they know them through the club or not, then that is absolutely their prerogative and they are well within their rights to do so. The club also, rightly has nothing to do with it.

Whether the club would like to help or not, is irrelevant. The club can't help for obvious reasons.

But players absolutely can in my opinion.

I personally wouldn't put in a dime if asked however.
in one breath you say the players should be able to support him - and then that they 'hit up some cashed up people'

which one is it. Thye arent the same thing.
I think everyone thinks its fine if they pitch in themselves - people think its not ok to lean on people who have never even met the bloke.
just total tight asses. wont pitch in themselves but want to use their privileged access to a members mailing list and pressure others.
sorry but i think whichever player did this is a f*ckwit.
Calm down dude...
All our players seem to be morons or f$&@wits in your eyes
Firstly, you have no idea whether the players have already chipped in or not.
Secondly, I am guessing that some of the coterie members are big supporters of Milne, maybe they suggested the players try to drum up done support from others.

These players may have misread this situation and overstepped the line, but calling them f/wits is just not on. And you're accusing them of not using their brains ??

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Calm down dude...
All our players seem to be morons or f$&@wits in your eyes
Firstly, you have no idea whether the players have already chipped in or not.
Secondly, I am guessing that some of the coterie members are big supporters of Milne, maybe they suggested the players try to drum up done support from others.

These players may have misread this situation and overstepped the line, but calling them f/wits is just not on. And you're accusing them of not using their brains ??
Only 4/40 - thats only 10% :D :D

"Youre not using your brain laddy"

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I think they entitled to do both.

As long as its clear they're not representing the club, then fine.

If they go to the club coterie they are representing the club.
Yep

I don't agree with that at al.

The club has not endorsed it, which everyone knows. So it doesn't matter who they go to, they're not representing the club.

And by 'representing', I mean acting on behalf of.

The club allowed Milne to play. Allowed these same players to play with him. They managed the media around the whole incident. They even gave him a huge send off as a hero.

No one, and I mean no one that is involved or supports the club in any way, could possibly allow or approve of the above but then get all snooty when his friends use contacts they have through the club to try to support Milne.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
I don't agree with that at al.

The club has not endorsed it, which everyone knows. So it doesn't matter who they go to, they're not representing the club.

And by 'representing', I mean acting on behalf of.

The club allowed Milne to play. Allowed these same players to play with him. They managed the media around the whole incident. They even gave him a huge send off as a hero.

No one, and I mean no one that is involved or supports the club in any way, could possibly allow or approve of the above but then get all snooty when his friends use contacts they have through the club to try to support Milne.
That's a nice little world you live in JM. The rest of us live in the real world. The politics surrounding the whole thing are incredibly sensitive. When the club gave him a send off as a hero, they weren't telling the world he was innocent of any allegations, they were paying respect to his career at the saints. That tawdry little incident back in 04 and Milne's career should and was separated. By your reasoning, the fact that the saints allowed Milne to continue playing after this incident, then they should also be funding Milnes defence directly - I mean they approved of him playing for the saints, and allowed other players to play with him. Therefore the whole incident has been tacitly approved by the club hasn't it? :roll:

Richter
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:
samwell wrote:How about getting a lawyer you can afford like any other alleged rapist has to
Why can't any other alleged rapist get financial assistance from those close to him/her?

I think this is ridiculous.

The players close to Milne, clearly, obviously think he is absolutely innocent. They love him, respect him, and played alongside him for 10 years after the incident. They clearly think he is innocent.

When another person was accused of rape, they received no support from anyone. So there is a precedence that if the players thought Milne was guilty, they'd have barred him too.

This, not for a second, means he is actually innocent or not. It simply means that his close friends, one of whom was present at the time, clearly believe he is.

So if they, off their own bats, hit up some cashed up people they know, whether they know them through the club or not, then that is absolutely their prerogative and they are well within their rights to do so. The club also, rightly has nothing to do with it.

Whether the club would like to help or not, is irrelevant. The club can't help for obvious reasons.

But players absolutely can in my opinion.

I personally wouldn't put in a dime if asked however.
Well put JM.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Richter
SS Life Member

Milney's well known for being a larrikin character around the team and club functions over the years. Didn't he even run a business with Steven Baker?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6707807159
Former teammate Steven Baker and Milne ran Saintly Entertainment - where they provided fun at kid's birthday parties.

They organised a treasure hunt, showed a highlight's package, ran a footy clinic, brought out a birthday cake and presented a signed footy and guernsey to the birthday boy or girl.

"We were flying and doing three or four a week at one stage, but we got a bit burnt out with the footy," Baker said.

"He was always one of the favourites with the kids."

Milne, who sees Baker once a week, later ran a school program at the club where he won the reputation as king of the kids.
My bet is that over the years he has put in a hell of a lot of time in to entertaining and helping out at functions of Saints supporters and their families, sometimes paid but I would guess often unpaid. And that some of those who have benefited from his generosity wish to show their support to him at what is a difficult time for him and his family.

Sometimes I think people on here take the media spin on things with too much gullibility. Remember that all journalism is advocating for somebody else's viewpoint... it is naive to think that all the media do is 'report the facts....'

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
markp
Saintsational Legend

Still going?

The story was a one day wonder and is done, what the players (apparently) did was unedifying and I'm sure has been knocked on the head, the end.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

youd think players/mates would help out privately huh, amongst themselves?
away from any f****** media or members

im starting to wonder if the older players in our side actually have brains and a clue about anything

asaint
Club Player

Adam Goodes speaking out against degrading behaviour towards women.Good on him.Fully support him. But has everyone forgotten or forgiven his indiscretion?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
That's a nice little world you live in JM. The rest of us live in the real world. The politics surrounding the whole thing are incredibly sensitive. When the club gave him a send off as a hero, they weren't telling the world he was innocent of any allegations, they were paying respect to his career at the saints. That tawdry little incident back in 04 and Milne's career should and was separated. By your reasoning, the fact that the saints allowed Milne to continue playing after this incident, then they should also be funding Milnes defence directly - I mean they approved of him playing for the saints, and allowed other players to play with him. Therefore the whole incident has been tacitly approved by the club hasn't it? :roll:
I don't think anything the club are doing right now is telling the world he is innocent of anything either.

But, clearly the players believe he is innocent. And as players/humans they have every right to try to chip into ensure he gets the best representation he can.

I mean, people offer free legal assistance to people all the time. Mostly, it is also done not because they believe the person is innocent - but merely to ensure they get a fair trial.

I'm not saying the club approves of the incident. But it would be horribly hypocritical for the club to suddenly step in and not allow his teammates to support him now that he is not a player. As I said earlier, the club and the supporters had no problem cheering for an alleged rapist when he was playing - so why not allow his friends to raise funds for him now that he isn't playing? I think its hypocritical of supporters who now disapprove of it too.

And besides, in this real world of yours - if it's such a big deal then why isn't anyone except half a dozen Saints tragics on a footy forum even talking about it?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Moods wrote:
I don't think anything the club are doing right now is telling the world he is innocent of anything either.

But, clearly the players believe he is innocent. And as players/humans they have every right to try to chip into ensure he gets the best representation he can.

I mean, people offer free legal assistance to people all the time. Mostly, it is also done not because they believe the person is innocent - but merely to ensure they get a fair trial.

I'm not saying the club approves of the incident. But it would be horribly hypocritical for the club to suddenly step in and not allow his teammates to support him now that he is not a player. As I said earlier, the club and the supporters had no problem cheering for an alleged rapist when he was playing - so why not allow his friends to raise funds for him now that he isn't playing? I think its hypocritical of supporters who now disapprove of it too.

And besides, in this real world of yours - if it's such a big deal then why isn't anyone except half a dozen Saints tragics on a footy forum even talking about it?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with players chipping in to help a mate. I never said there wasn't. Supporters cheering Milne on to kick goals for the saints and players approaching supporters to fund his legal defence are completely different and I'm not sure how you can't see that. His legal defence has nothing to do with anything he has done on the field or associated with the club. Why don't we all chip in when a player gets married? Or buys a house? What if he was being sued for a business debt - should we all chip in?

There's no doubt in my mind that the players believe that Milney is innocent. If for no other reason than the fact that Joey was in the room at the time of the alleged incident and has probably given them all a first hand account of what happened.

I will say this - I would prefer to wait until after the trial for players to approach people if they were to do such a thing. If Milne is found not guilty then it's a far better look for our club and for Milney to have money raised for him. I also believe that they would raise more funds that way. Milney has earnt between 3-4mill whilst he played for the saints. He will struggle, but will be able to afford the trial. It's after the trial when the dust settles that people can assist him if they feel compelled. And nil damage done to the club.

You say only half a dozen saints tragics are talking about it. It was front page news when the story broke! Hardly some tit bit on page 53.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with players chipping in to help a mate. I never said there wasn't. Supporters cheering Milne on to kick goals for the saints and players approaching supporters to fund his legal defence are completely different and I'm not sure how you can't see that. His legal defence has nothing to do with anything he has done on the field or associated with the club. Why don't we all chip in when a player gets married? Or buys a house? What if he was being sued for a business debt - should we all chip in?

There's no doubt in my mind that the players believe that Milney is innocent. If for no other reason than the fact that Joey was in the room at the time of the alleged incident and has probably given them all a first hand account of what happened.

I will say this - I would prefer to wait until after the trial for players to approach people if they were to do such a thing. If Milne is found not guilty then it's a far better look for our club and for Milney to have money raised for him. I also believe that they would raise more funds that way. Milney has earnt between 3-4mill whilst he played for the saints. He will struggle, but will be able to afford the trial. It's after the trial when the dust settles that people can assist him if they feel compelled. And nil damage done to the club.

You say only half a dozen saints tragics are talking about it. It was front page news when the story broke! Hardly some tit bit on page 53.
It was 'news' for about 30 minutes.

There is/was zero damage to the club. the club had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

I, like most people, can't separate a footballer from a person so whether he's a Saints footballer or not - he's an alleged rapist. Therefore I find the whole thing extremely unsavory like I assume most people do.

The club should absolutely in no way assist Milne in a matter such as this.

However, for his friends whom believe he is innocent to do so, for mine is fine. It has nothing to do with the club at all. Nor should it.

kalsaint
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:5% of the top paid players' salaries should more than cover the legal bill.
Where do they get this sense of entitlement?
And the rest, what do you think a lawyer such as Philip Dunn QC costs. After the completion of this trial Milne will have paid at least 200% of his annual salary as a player. 5% is naive, fantasy world stuff.
Interesting. Assuming 30 players contribute and the average is 75 % of Milnes salary this would mean the 5% option would cover 75% of te legal fees. Not a bad option in my book.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
dragit
Saintsational Legend

30 players? you must be kidding… there might be 2 or 3 who might chip in.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Soooo...this is beyond bad. Where's the club's statement backing away from any involvement (other than ''The St Kilda Football Club has not been approached to contribute funds and will not make any financial contribution towards this initiative'')? I'm afraid it's now in a position where the 'players' involved will need to be distanced from...it may not be a PR disaster yet, but it will be by tomorrow morning.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Soooo...this is beyond bad. Where's the club's statement backing away from any involvement (other than ''The St Kilda Football Club has not been approached to contribute funds and will not make any financial contribution towards this initiative'')? I'm afraid it's now in a position where the 'players' involved will need to be distanced from...it may not be a PR disaster yet, but it will be by tomorrow morning.

Has there been a new development?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Soooo...this is beyond bad. Where's the club's statement backing away from any involvement (other than ''The St Kilda Football Club has not been approached to contribute funds and will not make any financial contribution towards this initiative'')? I'm afraid it's now in a position where the 'players' involved will need to be distanced from...it may not be a PR disaster yet, but it will be by tomorrow morning.
Like to elaborate ?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

No...where's the club's statement? I'd like the club to be distancing itself from this 'initiative' by several million light years, if as has been quoted, they were aware of it.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

asaint wrote:Adam Goodes speaking out against degrading behaviour towards women.Good on him.Fully support him. But has everyone forgotten or forgiven his indiscretion?
I don't remember anything?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:No...where's the club's statement? I'd like the club to be distancing itself from this 'initiative' by several million light years, if as has been quoted, they were aware of it.

I don't think they will bother now. Storm has passed.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
loris
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
asaint wrote:Adam Goodes speaking out against degrading behaviour towards women.Good on him.Fully support him. But has everyone forgotten or forgiven his indiscretion?
I don't remember anything?
Maybe he is confusing him with O'Loughlin (? spelling)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
The club should absolutely in no way assist Milne in a matter such as this.

However, for his friends whom believe he is innocent to do so, for mine is fine. It has nothing to do with the club at all. Nor should it.

you forgot to state....."In my opinion...." :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.