finally, someone who knows the man

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

finally, someone who knows the man

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-14/j ... impression

'DARREN Jolly has had an immediate impact on St Kilda's young ruckmen in his first three sessions as the club's new part-time ruck coach.

Jolly, 32, was appointed to the Saints' coaching panel in December after reluctantly retiring from his 237-game career.

He started work with the young Saints, including Tom Hickey and new recruit Billy Longer, last week and has already shown the inexperienced pair how much he can teach them having only recently stepped out of the game.

"He's really good. I've already sat down and watched tapes with him and we've done a fair bit of full-on practical stuff," Hickey told AFL.com.au on Tuesday.

"He wants to join in as well so it's good having that extra bigger body that we might have to come up against at training.

"He was the best at holding his ground."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: finally, someone who knows the man

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How does Tom Hickey know him.... He's barely met him, and of course is saying nice things about the culb, its employees or sponsors as players are coached to do....

Jolly may well be a good coach (or better) but his commentary about his clubs and previous clubs ...... And former coaches and players commentary on him .... Would indicate he is a arrogant and not very team orie noted....

This will matter little as far as coaching goes MM is almost the biggest arsehole in footy and near the best coach. In fact good bloke s rarely end up good coaches .... An ego is a requirement in such a powerful position.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How does Tom Hickey know him.... He's barely met him, and of course is saying nice things about the culb, its employees or sponsors as players are coached to do....

Jolly may well be a good coach (or better) but his commentary about his clubs and previous clubs ...... And former coaches and players commentary on him .... Would indicate he is a arrogant and not very team orie noted....

This will matter little as far as coaching goes MM is almost the biggest arsehole in footy and near the best coach. In fact good bloke s rarely end up good coaches .... An ego is a requirement in such a powerful position.

Who are the former players and coaches who commented on him in a negative way?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How does Tom Hickey know him.... He's barely met him, and of course is saying nice things about the culb, its employees or sponsors as players are coached to do....

Yeah I agree - let's hope he's Jesus as a coach but still an arrogant toss bag

At least some an separate the 2..... but I guess others need things kept far "simpler"

“Yeah….nah””
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Publicity Puff Piece.

I'll judge Jolly on the performance of our rucks during a game.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Publicity Puff Piece.

And its exactly how it should be. I dont understand why people need to tell us he is a prick of a bloke unless of course they think its a poor appointment. Who cares and probably more importantly who would know.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Publicity Puff Piece.

And its exactly how it should be. I dont understand why people need to tell us he is a prick of a bloke unless of course they think its a poor appointment. Who cares and probably more importantly who would know.
Yeah but that's just opinion what I don't get is constant baiting of people by suggesting they need to justify holding a view cause "you don't get it" you don't get a lot on here so whose got time to be doing that??

“Yeah….nah””
PJ
SS Life Member

Same old sh#t, just a need to keep justifying yourself with sarcasm towards others.

You hear a lot about I'm entitled to my opinion, fine but then don't go taking every chance to berate everyone that disagrees.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Same old sh#t, just a need to keep justifying yourself with sarcasm towards others.

You hear a lot about I'm entitled to my opinion, fine but then don't go taking every chance to berate everyone that disagrees.
Don't like it don't read it but at least get an opinion of your own without feeding off others

Once upon a time a long time ago this forum was full if good debate with people who put forward THEIR views as opposed to commentating solely about others and they know who they are

I've sat back and watched long enough to know

I don't mind if you don't like my views but at least come with your own and without asking me "justify" why/why not my view is/isn't valid

There..... not a shred of sarcasm...

“Yeah….nah””
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Teflon wrote:I don't mind if you don't like my views but at least come with your own and without asking me "justify" why/why not my view is/isn't valid

And fair enough too, though with one little caveat.

If someone is putting up 'out there' views, then I think that they should mount some form of justification for holding said views... IMHO. :wink:

PS: I like sarcasm. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
PJ
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
PJ wrote:Same old sh#t, just a need to keep justifying yourself with sarcasm towards others.

Don't like it don't read it but at least get an opinion of your own without feeding off others

Once upon a time a long time ago this forum was full if good debate with people who put forward THEIR views as opposed to commentating solely about others and they know who they are

I don't mind if you don't like my views but at least come with your own and without asking me "justify" why/why not my view is/isn't valid

No opinion?? I've given you my opinion....if you think you know a person by following the media you are clearly deluded. You've said he's a sh#te bloke but you've never met him - that's my argument

If you don't like my responses then don't answer them.

I'm absolutely up for good debate but you seem unable to put an argument out there other than it's your opinion so don't read it - then you attach or attempt a put down - and you have a go at Jolly?

You've "sat back and watched enough" - please don't make me laugh

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Teflon wrote:

No opinion?? I've given you my opinion....if you think you know a person by following the media you are clearly deluded. You've said he's a sh#te bloke but you've never met him - that's my argument

If you don't like my responses then don't answer them.

I'm absolutely up for good debate but you seem unable to put an argument out there other than it's your opinion so don't read it - then you attach or attempt a put down - and you have a go at Jolly?

You've "sat back and watched enough" - please don't make me laugh
See this tripe is what annoys me right here

How many people on this forum have met most footballers they offer opinion on???? How u realistic and dumb is it to expect otherwise? FACTS are Jolly has by his own ACTIONS and MOUTH portrayed himself in the public spotlight as a flog - that's NOT some "media manipulation" that's HIS doing, I don't need to have met him to know those are the actions abs words of a person who I have little regard for. That's my view - it ain't that hard FFS

Spare me the do good-ing, moral indignation cause I "haven't met him" on a football Internet forum that's hardly a pre-requisite for people forming and having views.

So there's a "view" and an "argument " put forward right there - what part of that don't you get????

And I didn't even get to call you "deluded" - am I allowed a "put down" reply to that or is that reserved only for our moral apologists ?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Teflon wrote:I don't mind if you don't like my views but at least come with your own and without asking me "justify" why/why not my view is/isn't valid

And fair enough too, though with one little caveat.

If someone is putting up 'out there' views, then I think that they should mount some form of justification for holding said views... IMHO. :wink:

PS: I like sarcasm. 8-)
I agree and that's why I explained my thoughts on Jolly based on HIS actions and words.

That's different to having to continually justify having that view

I enjoy a little sarcasm myself.... if that makes me the lowest firm of wit I'm also ok with that!

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jolly came out and wrote what he was thinking. A mere opinion.

I thought he would be your kind of man.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Can the guy coach?

Thats all that counts.

Bulldogs have Scarlett coaching. Apparently a prick of a guy, but he isn't there to win friends and a congeniality contest, but to coach.

If Jolley can fast track our severely raw and inexperienced ruck combo and get them to at least perform this season, he has done a good coaching job in my opinion.

I couldn't care less if he is a "good bloke" or not. I dont want him as a friend, I just hope he coaches well.

From the piece it sounds like the young ruckman are working well with him. Thats all that can be asked at the moment

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Can the guy coach?

Thats all that counts.

Bulldogs have Scarlett coaching. Apparently a prick of a guy, but he isn't there to win friends and a congeniality contest, but to coach.

If Jolley can fast track our severely raw and inexperienced ruck combo and get them to at least perform this season, he has done a good coaching job in my opinion.

I couldn't care less if he is a "good bloke" or not. I dont want him as a friend, I just hope he coaches well.

From the piece it sounds like the young ruckman are working well with him. Thats all that can be asked at the moment
This is indeed all that matters.

We have young, talented, ruck stocks. They need a great teacher. Let's hope Jolly's the one.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Jolly came out and wrote what he was thinking. A mere opinion.

You'd be wrong again.

That aside, just like me, not everyone has to now "love" Jollys opinion, mouth or actions cause he's now a saints coach...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Can the guy coach?

Thats all that counts.

Yeah fair enough - cause Scarlett is a shyte bloke... I haven't met him also but again his actions speak volumes about him

As I said earlier , I hope Jolly is Yabby re born... but that can be seperate to liking his style

Many think Ross Lyons now a scumbag..... guy CAN coach

I would qualify my view with this: in my experience occasionally being a shyte bloke of little virtue can and is accommodated if results follow (common in corporate world) But in most cases IMO those that really build sustainable organizations often are also quality people to go with it.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

You'd be wrong again.

That aside, just like me, not everyone has to now "love" Jollys opinion, mouth or actions cause he's now a saints coach...
I think most people can separate the two.

Anyway, it's only a discussion just like the good ol' days when times were simpler.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
PJ
SS Life Member

So what came out of his mouth exactly that makes him such a sh#te bloke?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:So what came out of his mouth exactly that makes him such a sh#te bloke?
Go do your own research - here's a clue:

1. Calling your senior AFL coach (a champion also) a "coward" publicly via the media is not what I term "brave"
2. I'd urge you to read his cheap shot comments on Josh Frasers departure from Pies (condemned by many including hoards of Pie fans)

So there's a couple but yeah according to you he's "awesome" and just being set up by the media ....FFS.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:

You'd be wrong again.

I think most people can separate the two.

Anyway, it's only a discussion just like the good ol' days when times were simpler.
I dont think most people think but agree the less precious previous forum days were good

You would've liked them.

“Yeah….nah””
PJ
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
PJ wrote:So what came out of his mouth exactly that makes him such a sh#te bloke?
Go do your own research - here's a clue:

1. Calling your senior AFL coach (a champion also) a "coward" publicly via the media is not what I term "brave"
2. I'd urge you to read his cheap shot comments on Josh Frasers departure from Pies (condemned by many including hoards of Pie fans)

So there's a couple but yeah according to you he's "awesome" and just being set up by the media ....FFS.
Read both and found nothing in them

1. Did Buckley tell Jolly to his face his career was over or did he just leave that up to someone in admin?
2. Do you really listen to pie fans?

Don't invent what you think my comments or opinions are - you just appear stupid.

So that's it....that's your whole argument. WOW

Oh and the comment about "feeding off others in the forum" - got a question for you What is a forum for?

A place where people go to chat with others not with themselves.

defacto
Club Player

MM is over-rated

he just knows what club to go to