Viney out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Viney out

So for them no Viney Hogan Clark Dawes
For us no Steven Montagna Hayes Gilbert Fisher

I reckon slight edge for them. We start underdogs.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: Viney out

No Garland also who is a very underrated player..

Although our midfield is totally decimated, so they'll always have the edge in terms of quality not on the park..

They'd have to lose Jones and Tyson to make it even.

Middo
Club Player

No Jamar or Gawn ,,,

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So for them no Viney Hogan Clark Dawes
For us no Steven Montagna Hayes Gilbert Fisher

I reckon slight edge for them. We start underdogs.
no schneids either...6 of our best missing.....clearly we will start as underdogs.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

If we lose this match to an under strength melbourne then surely we have no hope for the year !

In red white and black from 73
loris
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:If we lose this match to an under strength melbourne then surely we have no hope for the year !
Or if Melbourne lose this to an under strength St Kilda........... then surely they have no hope for the year! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

You know things are grim when we are relieved that a player with 13 games to his name isn't playing for the opposition.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:You know things are grim when we are relieved that a player with 13 games to his name isn't playing for the opposition.
Well yep - its down to inches and degrees. Touch and go this game I reckon.

FQF
SS Life Member

A lot of this unease is based on a completely unfounded assumption that Melbourne will be vastly improved with their new coach.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:A lot of this unease is based on a completely unfounded assumption that Melbourne will be vastly improved with their new coach.
not for me at least ... i personlly dont think Roo's is all that much chop to be honest Melbournes improvment (if any) will be due to theirinvestment in youth over the last few years finally coming together , they have a whole heap of young talented guys who are now in their second third and fourth year of AFL footy these are guys who have now got a few games under their belt so it is about now that logically they should be seeing some improvment ... wouldnt matter if it was Roo's , Sheedy, Lyon or Tim Watson leading them the improvment should naturally be coming along by now

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
FQF wrote:A lot of this unease is based on a completely unfounded assumption that Melbourne will be vastly improved with their new coach.
not for me at least ... i personlly dont think Roo's is all that much chop to be honest Melbournes improvment (if any) will be due to theirinvestment in youth over the last few years finally coming together , they have a whole heap of young talented guys who are now in their second third and fourth year of AFL footy these are guys who have now got a few games under their belt so it is about now that logically they should be seeing some improvment ... wouldnt matter if it was Roo's , Sheedy, Lyon or Tim Watson leading them the improvment should naturally be coming along by now

Surely though there are good and bad coaches. Roos record suggests he is pretty good.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Surely though there are good and bad coaches. Roos record suggests he is pretty good.
True, although with hindsight we now know that he had two assistants who are of the most superior coaches in the league. Very hard to tell from the outside who is really creating the success.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont think there is an assumption they will be 'vastly' improved. But if they are slightly improved and we are slightly worse - then it becomes a close contest. The degree of difference between AFL clubs isnt that much. A few % is the difference.

Remember we have no Dal, Macca, Joey, Steven. Hayes, Gilbo, Fisher, Milne from last year.

We simply cant cover all those guys. So we will be a few % worse.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I dont think there is an assumption they will be 'vastly' improved. But if they are slightly improved and we are slightly worse - then it becomes a close contest. The degree of difference between AFL clubs isnt that much. A few % is the difference.

Remember we have no Dal, Macca, Joey, Steven. Hayes, Gilbo, Fisher, Milne from last year.

We simply cant cover those guys. So we will be a few % worse.

I actually think we are missing something like 11 players from round 23 last year and about 8 of them would be walk up starts on saturday.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: not for me at least ... i personlly dont think Roo's is all that much chop to be honest Melbournes improvment (if any) will be due to theirinvestment in youth over the last few years finally coming together , they have a whole heap of young talented guys who are now in their second third and fourth year of AFL footy these are guys who have now got a few games under their belt so it is about now that logically they should be seeing some improvment ... wouldnt matter if it was Roo's , Sheedy, Lyon or Tim Watson leading them the improvment should naturally be coming along by now

True, although with hindsight we now know that he had two assistants who are of the most superior coaches in the league. Very hard to tell from the outside who is really creating the success.
exactly ...
im not saying roos is a terrible coach but i am saying that perhaps his reputation is inflated on what it should really be ..
stats will show he has a 57% win ratio as a coach of a team that has had an extra $1m to spend each year on players ... he has had as stated two of the best assistant coaches in the comp (now that could be they are learning off him or it could be they were helping him who knows) .. if you were to look at the successful coaches (not just on premierships) you would have to rank Clarko , Malthouse , Lyon , Scott (Geelong) ahead of Roo's

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

They will improve enough to finish above us on the ladder - probably only 1 or 2 spots above us, but enough.

IF we win this week with no midfield , then we will be ahead of where I think we are.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.