Sponsorship - St Kilda at rock bottom

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Sponsorship - St Kilda at rock bottom

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... hvkum.html

Article states how St Kilda make the least money of all the AFL clubs on sponsorship and merchandise and we are still yet to secure a major sponsor.

Also highlights how difficult it is for AFL to generate top paying sponsors.

But my question is - what are we doing about this??? Does anyone know what the plan is, who we've negotiated with, how the club plans to resurrect this?

It is truly concerning.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sponsorship - St Kilda at rock bottom

Very sad that a club which has played in finals in recent years, plus has been successful since 2004, can't get major name sponsors. Doesn't say much at all for the Westaway group, and really I think Butters would have done a much better job in this area..but it's all history now. Another good reason to get out of Seaford ASAP and develop a higher profile.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

But hey?

We're not in a precarious position I was told?!

Honestly, I think we are a couple of bad decisions, or poor luck away from extinction.... It's a long way back. 18 spots in fact!

Our slide on and off the field has been scary.... And even Demetriou said straight out
"Of course I'm concerned about St Kilda"

We cannot withstand a sustained period at the bottom, we are not a big club!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:But hey?

Honestly, I think we are a couple of bad decisions, or poor luck away from extinction.... It's a long way back. 18 spots in fact!

Our slide on and off the field has been scary.... And even Demetriou said straight out

Please dont make up what people said. You said we may fold in 2017 and we all disagreed. Wow.

FQF
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:But hey?

I agree that we will have a lot of financial difficulty with a sustained period at the bottom. But we're between a rock and a hard place. Any attempt to hasten the rise up the ladder will most likely land us in the dreaded position of mediocrity (ala Carlton).

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

hang on a second ....
what is this fasination of having a "big name" sponsor ? surely if billy bobs fish and chip shop are willing to put up the same $$ as say an IBM type company it shouldnt make a fiddle of differance ..
I asked the question of Peter Summers whats the go with a major sponsor for our club and he made a very good point in regards to sponsors , often the bigger the sponsor the lower the return to the club for example a big name brand will for its investment in the club will want something out of it be it hospitality functions be it grand final tickets what ever there is a cost to the club to keep them happy because ultimatly they are not putting their brand to our club because they love our club ... on the flip side a second teir sponsor like Linen House is a long time supporter of the St Kilda football club their sponsorship dollars are spent to help the club first and formost they dont expect much back in return and while they might not contribute the same $$ by the time you factor in what the club has to spend on keeping them happy as to keeping the big boys happy you get more bang for your buck with the second teir sponsors .... that said we prob have the strongest second teir sponsors in the AFL....

also FFS seaford is a training facility now sponsor gives two fluffs where a team train ... its all about exposure during the games that are played at the dome ... stop sooking about bloody seaford

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
FQF
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:hang on a second ....
what is this fasination of having a "big name" sponsor ? surely if billy bobs fish and chip shop are willing to put up the same $$ as say an IBM type company it shouldnt make a fiddle of differance ..
I asked the question of Peter Summers whats the go with a major sponsor for our club and he made a very good point in regards to sponsors , often the bigger the sponsor the lower the return to the club for example a big name brand will for its investment in the club will want something out of it be it hospitality functions be it grand final tickets what ever there is a cost to the club to keep them happy because ultimatly they are not putting their brand to our club because they love our club ... on the flip side a second teir sponsor like Linen House is a long time supporter of the St Kilda football club their sponsorship dollars are spent to help the club first and formost they dont expect much back in return and while they might not contribute the same $$ by the time you factor in what the club has to spend on keeping them happy as to keeping the big boys happy you get more bang for your buck with the second teir sponsors .... that said we prob have the strongest second teir sponsors in the AFL....

also FFS seaford is a training facility now sponsor gives two fluffs where a team train ... its all about exposure during the games that are played at the dome ... stop sooking about bloody seaford
Interesting take, but I'm not sure it adds up.

I hope that doesn't mean Summers isn't trying to land a big fish?

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

That's a crock that sponsors don"t give a stuff ,it's common buisness sense that sponsors do not get any bang for their buck down at Seaford so that leaves social media etc for them to advertise,until we somehow embrace where we are going to be for the next 20 to 50 years ewe will continue to fail ,as every club now needs a large sponsor!

PADDLEPOP1000
spert
Saintsational Legend

Glad you're not marketing my business.. Imagine Collingwood...mmm who will we try and attract..Bobs fish& Chips or Emirates...where will we have our elite traing facility.. Olympic Park or Epping..big business attracts big business. The club is part of an elite sporting organisation, and small thinking has been one of St Kilda's big problems for years. Think big or perish in this environment.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Of course it doesn't matter in Perth. Perth is a country town.
It matters here because sponsors want bang for their buck. The only bang in Seaford is the sound of gunfire around the Hells Angels Darkside Chapter.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

+1

PADDLEPOP1000
The_Merchant
Club Player

Surely you are joking if you think the location of a training base has any effect on us getting a major sponsor. Except for collingwood and richmond, what other Victorian team has a training base that would attract big sponsors. We have a naming right sponsor for seaford, obviously they would prefer to be at Olympic park, but I would suggest they get far more visibility from peninsula link than they would from the massive amount of traffic driving past Moorabbin which isn't visible from any major Roads. Major sponsor come because of crowd attendances, membership and tv coverage, not from the 50 people who turn up to watch training.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
spert
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:+1
+2

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:+1
+2
=3

Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Hi Merch' and Trav, where we are based does matter. It creates and represents a sense of what we stand for, where we are from and the community we are part of.

Otherwise we end up a meaningless entity like the dear departed Fitzroy FC became... homeless nomads, with no connection to anywhere.

But it's not just about where we train. Please, join Pluggs at the McKinnon KFC tonight, look at the big screen... this is what we must achieve!

All the issues above would be addressed by training and playing home games at the Junction Oval in St Kilda. We then reconnect with our birthplace, we leverage the cool of our suburb, and we can eventually end up the best known AFL club both locally and overseas. 8-)

It's called creating a sense of meaning, a sense of history, a sense of purpose. We need to create something that people can relate to and want to be a part of.

None of those other vanilla clubs :roll: have the potential that our enfant terrible, non-conformist and oh sooooooo loveable Saintas have!!! We are cool, exciting and out there. 8-) (These qualities are very marketable. :idea: ) This what a footy club should be! It is time to take the Saint's vibe, and share it with the world! :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
FQF
SS Life Member

Don't think playing games at junction oval is viable

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Wow don't you love it when so called supporters jump all over bad news so happily…..

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Not sure about that CA just about to spend a fair bit of coin on the Junction if we could be smart enought to get in on this ala what the pies,Tiges and to a lesser extent the dogs and roos have done it what be a huge get the media and sponsorship coverage at the Junction would be huge.Gotta think big to gain the cash to get the football dept up and running and promote our club so players want to come to us.Seaford whilst a state of the art facility is and never will be a place to draw,sponsors ,media and players to!

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Hi Merch' and Trav, where we are based does matter. It creates and represents a sense of what we stand for, where we are from and the community we are part of.

Otherwise we end up a meaningless entity like the dear departed Fitzroy FC became... homeless nomads, with no connection to anywhere.

But it's not just about where we train. Please, join Pluggs at the McKinnon KFC tonight, look at the big screen... this is what we must achieve!

All the issues above would be addressed by training and playing home games at the Junction Oval in St Kilda. We then reconnect with our birthplace, we leverage the cool of our suburb, and we can eventually end up the best known AFL club both locally and overseas. 8-)

It's called creating a sense of meaning, a sense of history, a sense of purpose. We need to create something that people can relate to and want to be a part of.

None of those other vanilla clubs :roll: have the potential that our enfant terrible, non-conformist and oh sooooooo loveable Saintas have!!! We are cool, exciting and out there. 8-) (These qualities are very marketable. :idea: ) This what a footy club should be! It is time to take the Saint's vibe, and share it with the world! :D

Complete rubbish based on history before the club stuffed up. You try and say smart things and then you mention where we train as if it matters. How was the junctiion oval going through all our best periods. It wasnt Walt and if you are waiting for that you will eventually have a heart attack. Stop it for your health.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Honestly, I think we are a couple of bad decisions, or poor luck away from extinction...
How could that possibly happen?

The AFL needs 18 clubs for the TV rights and they're already spending a lot of cash on two new clubs. Why would they throw St Kilda under the bus and then have to create another new club to make the numbers add up? Eight games a week is a lot less lucrative than nine.

The most that might happen is we'll come under pressure to move interstate. Maybe Tassie even. From an objective perspective that would make a lot of sense - shame we're not still playing home games down there.

But I still think nothing's going to change in the foreseeable future.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

FQF wrote:Don't think playing games at junction oval is viable
Hillibillies make $850,000 profit per home game down in the Diliverence country. (Sorry Doc, Newtown not included in that ref'. :wink: )
Poodles have been offered $750,000 per game to shift some home matches down there... what is Eithad costing us again btw...?
(Average number of bumpkins the Hillibillies have been drawing to their hoedowns to achieve these returns... 26,000.)

So I must disagree on that one FQF.

We don't have to achieve this overnight... though it took the Hillbillies less than a decade. :idea:

(Only a couple of years ago, and sure OH&S issues and crowd sitting inside the boundary fence aside :lol: , the Community Cup game drew 26,000 paying punters to the Junction!)

IMHO re really have to look at this, otherwise I can't see how we can compete with the competition...

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gee I wonder why we can't get sponsorship.

Not one person has mentioned the 'r' word.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

+1

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Gee I wonder why we can't get sponsorship.

Not one person has mentioned the 'r' word.

Retort? Rong? right? richmond? r2d2?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Complete rubbish based on history before the club stuffed up. You try and say smart things and then you mention where we train as if it matters. How was the junctiion oval going through all our best periods. It wasnt Walt and if you are waiting for that you will eventually have a heart attack. Stop it for your health.
What!?! No big screen at the McKinnon KFC Pluggs? :shock:

PS: That's train and play at our Junction Oval. :idea:

PPS: Check the other thread Pluggs. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84876&p=1440800#p1440800 Your new French backpacker friends are waiting for someone to introduce them to the greatest game on earth.