No one likes losing but,

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

No one likes losing but,

But you just can't help but feel good about last nights game.
Templeton kicks that goal, and we go 3 up mid way 3rd quarter, still probably would have lost because we ran out of legs.
Dunstan, right now would be the clear cut favourite for the Rising Star award, this kid will be our captain sooner rather than later.
Even money bet he will inherit Lenny's number 7 when Lenny retires.
If we can produce that sort of effort next Sunday, we will go very close to knocking off Adelaide.
I am enjoying this season, again expectations of on field success is not high, but maybe a little higher than they were before round 1.
For those who have let their membership go, I'd be jumping back on board.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
theoracle
Club Player

Re: No one likes losing but,

You speak the truth 3rd Generation Saint. I too do not like losing either, but losses like last night's are honourable, and that's what we hope for this season - some wins and to make the losses watchable with some signs that improvement is there, unlike say, Melbourne.
I too am enjoying this season, it's shaping up to be a pivotal one in terms of being a period where games are injected into young bodies. Luke Dunstan is a star in the making, a 10 year player.
This is The Oracle.

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
Megsie
Club Player

We have a coach capable of turning boys into
men. Our boys seem so bonded & are playing
for each other. Melbourne may have "the messiah"
But I'm pleased we have Richo!!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Megsie wrote:We have a coach capable of turning boys into
men. Our boys seem so bonded & are playing
for each other. Melbourne may have "the messiah"
But I'm pleased we have Richo!!
IMO Richo will be prove to be an excellent long term fit for our club! It seems that we finally have the full package someone who has the players respect, can coach, can handle the media and is very proactive about growing the clubs memberships and corporate standing.

He has landed at a good time as we appear to have finally got our recruiting somewhere near right and he still has the older players to show the way whilst the younger generation develops.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Before the game , I thought it we could keep it to a 6 goal or less defeat against one of the form teams in the comp at their ground we would have done well. When the WCE got that first goal I feared it could easily turn to custard if they followed up with a couple more.

I was super proud of the boys last night and when you consider a couple of free kicks that went against us that eventually cost us goals (not saying the umpiring was too bad btw) and a couple of very gettable goals that we missed (Jones, Eli). I like our game style and if we can keep up that effort for the year we will snag a few more wins and definitely finish higher than I had predicted (which was 2nd bottom with 3 wins :oops: )

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Before the game , I thought it we could keep it to a 6 goal or less defeat against one of the form teams in the comp at their ground we would have done well. When the WCE got that first goal I feared it could easily turn to custard if they followed up with a couple more.

I was super proud of the boys last night and when you consider a couple of free kicks that went against us that eventually cost us goals (not saying the umpiring was too bad btw) and a couple of very gettable goals that we missed (Jones, Eli). I like our game style and if we can keep up that effort for the year we will snag a few more wins and definitely finish higher than I had predicted (which was 2nd bottom with 3 wins :oops: )
On what I've seen so far, Zed, I reckon we're a real chance to reach you're original 3 win target after 4 rounds. Anyone who saw Sanderson's post game presser (only took notice 'cos we play 'em next) saw a fella well shy of belief and confidence. They're a bit of a mess and we'll be approaching this week with some positivity, I would think.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Apples
Club Player

Couldn't agree more with 3rd Generation Saint and the other comments on this topic, very happy with the progress and direction of the club over the last 6 months.
However, while I'm at it I want to give Dermott Brereton a spray; great footballer he is nothing more than a media flog thesedays.
He took particular delight in putting the boots into the club after his little mate Scott Watters got the flick and blamed Pelchen for having too much influence.
He said we were the laughing stock of the league, we were certain wooden spooners and probably wouldn't win a game this year. Yesterday on SEN he was at it again, tipped Eagles would pump us by 100+ points.
Dermott, I have a message for you, TIME TO MOVE ON. Go and see how one of your other old mates Roosy is going over at the G.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

That game bites. It really bites. I expected us to win this (and tipped us to) and we lost a game that should have been ours. I don't view it was an honourable loss. I feel it was a chance we let slip by. Blast!!! Still frustrated about it this morning......

I know we have some young kids and I do see the positives in how the younger brigade are stepping up but ultimately it is about winning and we should have won that. Probably sulk about it for the rest of the day and then look forward tomorrow to playing Adelaide next week.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Apples wrote:Couldn't agree more with 3rd Generation Saint and the other comments on this topic, very happy with the progress and direction of the club over the last 6 months.
However, while I'm at it I want to give Dermott Brereton a spray; great footballer he is nothing more than a media flog thesedays.
He took particular delight in putting the boots into the club after his little mate Scott Watters got the flick and blamed Pelchen for having too much influence.
He said we were the laughing stock of the league, we were certain wooden spooners and probably wouldn't win a game this year. Yesterday on SEN he was at it again, tipped Eagles would pump us by 100+ points.
Dermott, I have a message for you, TIME TO MOVE ON. Go and see how one of your other old mates Roosy is going over at the G.

Dermot and quite a few others were tipping us to get a reality check this week. Was a fan of Brereton until his little outburst last year. Be interested to hear him on the radio this week. Humble pie packs a punch I believe.....

Fortius Quo Fidelius
oh when the
Club Player

Footy clubs exist on hope and that is starting to
Return to the saints. We should beat crows then bring on the bombers.

Saints43
Club Player

saint75 wrote:I expected us to win this (and tipped us to) and we lost a game that should have been ours.
On what basis did you have us down to win? I was in the under-6-goals camp.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:But you just can't help but feel good about last nights game.
Templeton kicks that goal, and we go 3 up mid way 3rd quarter, still probably would have lost because we ran out of legs.
Dunstan, right now would be the clear cut favourite for the Rising Star award, this kid will be our captain sooner rather than later.
Even money bet he will inherit Lenny's number 7 when Lenny retires.
If we can produce that sort of effort next Sunday, we will go very close to knocking off Adelaide.
I am enjoying this season, again expectations of on field success is not high, but maybe a little higher than they were before round 1.
For those who have let their membership go, I'd be jumping back on board.
Only thing that bugged me was that when the game was up for grabs in the last the wheels fell off... Didn't think we were going to get over them, didn't expect them to allow a couple easy over the top goals to inflate the margin either.

Plenty to look forward too though

saint-stu
Club Player

It was a great effort by the boys. So impressed by the young players standing up. I remember us really struggling to perform in interstate games around 2003-2005. I wonder if there is more professionalism now.
3rd generation saint wrote:Even money bet he will inherit Lenny's number 7 when Lenny retires.
Number 7 would be a great fit. But after seeing Jack Billings in a few VFL games this year, I reckon he is going to be an absolute star and is also a contender for captain.

Can't wait to see these kids in their prime in a few years.

1ac46a38
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The most impressive aspect of the game, for me, IMHFO, was the way we HUNTED those filth.
I believe the pressure took its toll on them, e.g. the missed shots at goal like Cox, etc
Absolutely loved the way our guys attacked the Eagles in numbers, not hanging off the contest outside, but ALL wanting to get in, like watching my little Jack Russell at the dog park.

That sort of attitude speaks volumes of the mindset, as in "we want this" and "I want some of that"
you need that sort of hunger, the desperation.
The other stuff can be tweaked and developed, but the important thing is that hunger burning in the heart.
I believe I saw that. Almost like the way Geelong plays.
We can beat the Crows, and if we bring that intensity to the Injectors, they will be running scared.
No easy kicks, pressure...

Last year, I had us pegged at 8 wins this year, and you all laughed at me.
You travel interstate, and it's far too easy to lose incentive, especially with 95% of the crowd against you.
If that game was at SIberia (Etihad) we would have won.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

theoracle wrote:This is The Oracle.
Are you 'the' long lost Oracle? :shock: viewtopic.php?t=70827

PS: Regardless, I loved your line re BJ's new number at Effnject. :D :D :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
St Lenny
Club Player

saint75 wrote:
Apples wrote:Couldn't agree more with 3rd Generation Saint and the other comments on this topic, very happy with the progress and direction of the club over the last 6 months.

Dermot and quite a few others were tipping us to get a reality check this week. Was a fan of Brereton until his little outburst last year. Be interested to hear him on the radio this week. Humble pie packs a punch I believe.....
Brereton hates us, don't worry about that. NEVER has a nice thing to say. And that goes back before Watters, idiot.

Anyway, I thought we had a good hard crack and while they show that much endeavour, where as I would love a win, I am happy.