Tommy Lee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tommy Lee

gringo wrote:I still think he will make it, he is possibly a victim of the game plan at the moment. Three talls forward doesn't allow the spread back the other way that we are doing. Lee is probably behind Stanley ATM. I think sometimes we get hung up on anyone not playing seniors thinking they are no good. Especially if their form hasn't been amazing.

I think that is reasonable to assume.

Playon
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Tom Lee isnt a key forward. he doesnt play like a key forward. I have no idea if lee is a strong man. And who said weights were a waste of time?
I see and what do you think the club recruited him as? He's playing as a key forward in the 2s apart from when he can't get a kick and thrown into the ruck. Are you saying the club got it wrong?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Tom Lee isnt a key forward. he doesnt play like a key forward. I have no idea if lee is a strong man. And who said weights were a waste of time?
I see and what do you think the club recruited him as? He's playing as a key forward in the 2s apart from when he can't get a kick and thrown into the ruck. Are you saying the club got it wrong?

Well at the moment it looks like they got it wrong but he still probably has a year to prove himself. i doubt the club thought he could be a KPP in the AFL. I would have thought a forward pocket HFF type. From people here who have seen him play in Perth that is how they decribed him. If he was recruited as a KPP then they have it completely wrong because it looks like he cant be that type of player.

Playon
Club Player

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:I'll tell you one thing

I'd trade Lee for Patton in a heartbeat
Yeah for sure…

I'd also trade Tom Curren for Jaeger O'Meara,

Just think it's interesting to look at peoples perceptions of players vs their actual performance.
TC is hands off, he's been doing exactly whats being asked of him and not only that but doing it well. After your tirade on CJ, I guess TC is next, do you even undertstand what a taggers role is? But why take my comment under consideration, maybe you could hear what AR has to say about him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
dragit wrote:

Yeah for sure…

Just think it's interesting to look at peoples perceptions of players vs their actual performance.
TC is hands off, he's been doing exactly whats being asked of him and not only that but doing it well. After your tirade on CJ, I guess TC is next, do you even undertstand what a taggers role is? But why take my comment under consideration, maybe you could hear what AR has to say about him.

Im sure Dragit can look after himself but what he said isnt having a go at TC. he was just stating the obvious after BM stated the obvious. it was in no way a go at TC. Surely you would do that trade whatever you think of TC.

Playon
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Playon wrote:

Well at the moment it looks like they got it wrong but he still probably has a year to prove himself. i doubt the club thought he could be a KPP in the AFL. I would have thought a forward pocket HFF type. From people here who have seen him play in Perth that is how they decribed him. If he was recruited as a KPP then they have it completely wrong because it looks like he cant be that type of player.
Well I agree with you, but thats why he was recruited, Here's hoping were both wrong and shows something. If its an injury and with the jabs these days perhaps he needs to man up, but not being close to him, who can say. ATM he's disappointing and the question is will he have more to offer,

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
dragit wrote:

Yeah for sure…

:D
This is pretty funny, can you point me to the "tirade"… from memory I suggested that he does some good things, but is a fringe player in a rebuilding side… I'd prefer to see younger blokes in. Hope your feelings are okay CJ.

I like Curren, probably like O'meara slightly more as a footballer.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: This is pretty funny, can you point me to the "tirade"… from memory I suggested that he does some good things, but is a fringe player in a rebuilding side… I'd prefer to see younger blokes in. Hope your feelings are okay CJ.

Alright not a tirade .....a slow burning hate crime campaign again CJ- kind of like a lighter on tiny synthetic track pants. That said if they want Guns for Moves I'd take that any day of the week.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: This is pretty funny, can you point me to the "tirade"… from memory I suggested that he does some good things, but is a fringe player in a rebuilding side… I'd prefer to see younger blokes in. Hope your feelings are okay CJ.

Alright not a tirade .....a slow burning hate crime campaign again CJ- kind of like a lighter on tiny synthetic track pants. That said if they want Guns for Moves I'd take that any day of the week.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I worry too about us developing leading forwards when the pokiness of Etihad stadium doesn't lend itself to forwards getting a lot of space. It's too easy to flood the backline. It's probably no coincidence that Rooey developed a method of making consecutive leads until he finally finds a gap.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:The Age have cottoned on also http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... zrovv.html

They should have spoken to Tony. It's quite normal to trade away pick 12 and get 24 & 25 and use them for 2 forwards that you expect to take at least 2 years to be AFL ready it seems.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

hmm

in hindsight i am not sure why the club took the 'double' gamble on that trade. Don't get me wrong, i think when done properly, trading a higher pick and effectively getting 3 players in return can be a good one when executed properly but the club essentially took tow gambles in Lee and White...both players of 'potential' and 'freakish ability' but neither with the runs on the board...

#1 Ryder fan
FQF
SS Life Member

Looking at the draft, it doesn't seem like we missed anyone by picking Spencer. Although I don't follow the development of all these players.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:hmm

in hindsight i am not sure why the club took the 'double' gamble on that trade. Don't get me wrong, i think when done properly, trading a higher pick and effectively getting 3 players in return can be a good one when executed properly but the club essentially took tow gambles in Lee and White...both players of 'potential' and 'freakish ability' but neither with the runs on the board...
Which tall forwards have had the runs on the board prior to being drafted…?

…by the way, Gleeson is a little confused on the trade… the 24 came with Lee, the 25 came in the Hickey deal.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm tipping all the people canning him on here have had both of their shoulders reconstructed and made it back to AFL level for round 1?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

dont get me wrong i like lee and i feel he has shown enough to make me believe he can make it.

spencer i am not so sure about...i was pretty excited after seeing the now infamous highlights videos...!! the fact is he just hasnt developed as hoped

#1 Ryder fan
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:The Age have cottoned on also http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... zrovv.html
Good article and responses from AR, lets hope LEE gets a chance and takes it sooner rather than later,

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Good article and responses from AR, lets hope LEE gets a chance and takes it sooner rather than later,

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'm tipping all the people canning him on here have had both of their shoulders reconstructed and made it back to AFL level for round 1?
So now have a 23 y.o with 2 shoulder reconstructions on our list who by the coaches admission isn't doing some of the basics required at an afl level. Forgive me for not feeling very positive about Mr Lee thriving in the brutal battleground that is afl.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
dragit wrote:I'm tipping all the people canning him on here have had both of their shoulders reconstructed and made it back to AFL level for round 1?
So now have a 23 y.o with 2 shoulder reconstructions on our list who by the coaches admission isn't doing some of the basics required at an afl level. Forgive me for not feeling very positive about Mr Lee thriving in the brutal battleground that is afl.
I read the coaches comments as positive… each to their own though.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
So we have team getting flogged in recent games, and AR reckons Lee is still needing to improve to get senior selection...hello. Lee should be picked at FF this week, and if not, then AR needs to be sacked and Watters returned as coach..a better coach I reckon anyway...that's why he got picked in the first place.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
So we have team getting flogged in recent games, and AR reckons Lee is still needing to improve to get senior selection...hello. Lee should be picked at FF this week, and if not, then AR needs to be sacked and Watters returned as coach..a better coach I reckon anyway...that's why he got picked in the first place.

Spert have you seen Lee play much this season? No idea who is a better coach as this stage myself but the trouble SW was causing at the club meant he wasnt able to be kept. I think you will be calling for AR sacking because i cant see Lee playing this week. Who does he replace and why does he deserve a game if the coach still says he needs to improve? Hinkley must be behind many coaches based on your thinking.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Very interesting and timely article on Tommy Lee! Great to get a few quotes from the coach...but a coach being 100% straight up to a journo about player selection...wouldn't take it to the bank! But it does at least get the issue into the mainstream. Either way we dress it up, we paid a good solid draft pick for Lee, and as I've said a couple of times, the guy is 23 already, not 19 and so weather he plays a little underdone in the afl, surely he can't be that far off the pace that the experience would be useless...playing wouldn't mean the difference between winning and losing and wouldn't probably be the difference between being competitive or not in the games or parts of games we've been smashed in...still reckon he'll get a good run of games in the 2nd half of the season, even if his form at 'vfl' level stays the same!! We need him to come on!!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm glad that article shed some light on his situation. I think it's a good sign that Richo hasn't been hasty to bring him back. Has had an interrupted pre and regular season. Selecting him when he's ready is the right approach.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!