Tommy Lee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tommy Lee

bergholt wrote:I don't think you could. But I wonder if he'd get enough if the footy in this day and age? He'd always be up against two defenders - at least - and generally the ball wouldn't come in as clean as it did in his day. No doubt he'd still take some contested marks and kick some goals from them, but he's not going to kick many 10s. And certainly he's not going to give us much forward pressure, his man will rebound off him all day!
Lockett was up against two or more defenders his whole career and kicked more bags of 10-or-greater than any other player.

If he played for the St Kilda side of 2009-2010 the ball would come in way, way cleaner ... in more ways than one.

Not only would it not be caked in mud and slippery like it was at Moorabbin, he'd have gotten much better service from the class of '09-'10 than the guys running around when he was at his peak in the late 80s-early 90s.

Being probably the best kick for goal the game has seen, under windless conditions at Etihad he'd rarely miss.

Generally his men didn't rebound off him too often ... except in literal sense ... like Caven and other unfortunates.

It was a big mistake to try to run off him as a turnover upfield meant a certain goal for Plugger.

He was also very, very quick off a short run up. So there'd be a good chance he'd catch you anyway and that wouldn't be a good outcome for you.

The big worry, though, would be the MRP. He'd be lucky to play two games in a row unless he curbed his aggression. He'd also have to work on his fitness, asthma notwithstanding.

At his peak and fully fit, playing for a good side at Etihad (rather than a lousy one at Moorabbin), I reckon 180 goals wouldn't be beyond him. Maybe 200.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have had the same opinion for 12 months on this bloke.

Lock him in a room with the G-train for 3-4 months and do not let him out until he has improved his all over body strength by 30-40%.

As a benchmark - Lee is the same age, position & height as Taylor Walker but TW is a 98kg ball of muscle. TL is 90kg of loose skin.

Thinking Tom can play as a key fwd at AFL level with his height & strength is a complete waste of time. He is miles off his peers/benchmarks.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have had the same opinion for 12 months on this bloke.

Lock him in a room with the G-train for 3-4 months and do not let him out until he has improved his all over body strength by 30-40%.

As a benchmark - Lee is the same age, position & height as Taylor Walker but TW is a 98kg ball of muscle. TL is 90kg of loose skin.

Thinking Tom can play as a key fwd at AFL level with his height & strength is a complete waste of time. He is miles off his peers/benchmarks.

He's had two years where his shoulders haven't been right. Hard to lift big KGS with no shoulder tendons.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saw Tommy today. Gawn.
And Maister as well.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, I think he's just not good enough... Too slow for his lack of size

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
He's had two years where his shoulders haven't been right. Hard to lift big KGS with no shoulder tendons.
I know its unfortunate but if his shoulders aren't up to it his shoulders arent up to it. He simply cant get the required strength levels he needs to play his position without fully functioning shoulders.

It can be a cruel school at AFL level and he may join the list of players with plenty of talent but who injuries stop ever reaching their full potential e.g Fergus Watts, Jesse Smith, Jarryd Allen.

I know it's sad - but this is how I feel things are heading.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think he's probably got at least one more year Lee. If his body fails that's a shame because he's good enough.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think he's probably got at least one more year Lee. If his body fails that's a shame because he's good enough.
Yep I agree.
I rate him pretty highly.

But I feel his shoulders are stopping him doing the required work. If he can get a year where they are completely healed and he can do the full whack of training he needs - he will be very good. But if his shoulders aren't 100% then he's in a fair bit of strife because he will never get his body strength up to AFL standards.

Tom weighs only 91kg and isn't very strong.
Taylor Walker is 98kg and that extra 7kg is pure muscle.

Apart from that they are same height/same age/same position.

cannavaro17
Club Player

Appreciate tom lee aint playing well...but he has shown last year that he can kick a few goals at afl level. Even in this years nab challenge he kicked a few nice ones.... lets hope he gets his body right and does well for us in the future!

Winmar
70s sainter
Club Player

It takes about a year to fully recover from a shoulder reco.
Both strength and flexability.
Did he have a full reco does anyone know.
If he had both done it would take even longer as u can't use one to help the other.
I hope this is the case anyway

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

All I know is he had surgery on both shoulders in September 2013.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
. But I wonder if he'd get enough if the footy in this day and age? He'd always be up against two defenders - at least - and generally the ball wouldn't come in as clean as it did in his day.!
Methinks that you did not actually get to watch Lockett play. Pity, as he was truly one of the most awesome players ever.

He'd always be up against two defenders
: err he always was. One game Sheedy had 4 on him. No coach played a one on one on Lockett. That would have been suicide.

and generally the ball wouldn't come in as clean as it did in his day.!: What? You jest. Yes Winmar was superb...but by and large the others just roosted it in his general direction. Locket was amazing...in the air, on the ground, taking speccies, body on body, amazing body strength......and in intimidating the opposition like no other player has ever done. Oh, and an amazing kick on goal. Lockett had te occassional run in the ruck and did ok.

Where Locket would struggle today would be his running and aerobic ability. Still different era then. Lockett's favourite training drill was the drive though at Maccas. And when you were as good as him, as strong as he was.....well lets just say that peak fitness did not matter.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Plugger played in the ruck about as often as Harves did?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lockett would have dominated in any age.
Was a freak. Basically his team-mates (besides a small few) would kick absolute mongrel punts roughly in his general direction with a heavy muddy ball. He would then have to brush off three defenders (including some very very good strong full backs) and take the mark or if someone got a spoil in he was still able to recover keep going and rove off himself and pick it up and break/dodge some tackles and spin around and either kick a goal or hit up a team mate. Would have been no different now. He was almost Buddy like when it hit the ground but much stronger in the air and in a pack.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Can anyone explain the rationale for giving up a first round dp for a reject who had showed nothing for the club that originally drafted.

Really a complete waste of a pick. Oh thats right we got White as well.

Lucky for us he is tearing it up in the VFL like Lee

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

NeXtmess-stringer wrote:Can anyone explain the rationale for giving up a first round dp for a reject who had showed nothing for the club that originally drafted.

I assume you are talking Hickey. We gave it up because other teams were offering up picks. Collingwood was one that helped push his value up. They always seem to help us out.

Lee is a very high level footballer if he gets his body right. You just have to look at how a lack of preseason has effected Jack Steven to see why he's not playing seniors yet. Lee is getting played all over the place too.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Plugger played in the ruck about as often as Harves did?
Harvey only did it in one game, or more correctly played as the follower. Was a masterstroke move as his opponent had been creaming teams at the time, whereas Harves wiped the floor with him around the ground.

Lockett had a number of spells there. Not a lot...but not rare either. Mainly when we were getting creamed.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

NeXtmess-stringer wrote:Can anyone explain the rationale for giving up a first round dp for a reject who had showed nothing for the club that originally drafted.

Is there a forum rule of multiple sign-ins????

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:

No it isn't. I use one nic on here. It will be getting change by Simon to Bunk Moreland as it is being confused for NeXus and also for stinger (although that was an oversight from me, the Nextmess was a bit of a joke that could be construed as baiting Simon tells me.

If you are referring to me, I post on here by the above nic and soon to be Bunk_M. If you are inferring it is Citywest, well that is incorrect.

Wasn't Lee traded for pick 12 plus 25?

You are garbage - Enough said
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

NeXtmess-stringer wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

No it isn't. I use one nic on here. It will be getting change by Simon to Bunk Moreland as it is being confused for NeXus and also for stinger (although that was an oversight from me, the Nextmess was a bit of a joke that could be construed as baiting Simon tells me.

If you are referring to me, I post on here by the above nic and soon to be Bunk_M. If you are inferring it is Citywest, well that is incorrect.

12 for Lee, 24 and 43 I think. Not quite the Lee for 12 that gets bandied around by morons like Luke Darcy.

So Far this year, looking back

Round 1
Tom Lee: 11 disposals, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 4 goals
Player Rating: 7.5/10

Lee had ruck and forward duties throughout the match. When the Zebras had the wind in the second quarter, the midfielders penetrated the ball into the forward 50 and Lee kicked three important goals.
“Tom’s game today was fantastic but it has been a combination of the last three weeks. He’s really competed hard … and today he really reaped the rewards,” Brendan Allen told True Zebras.

Paul Hudson 's comments
I was pleased for him because in the previous fortnight, he was competing well and playing his role in the structure, but not getting reward in the goals column. But on Saturday Tom kicked four goals and showed really good leading patterns. He also spent some time in the ruck and didn’t look out of place – he was quite competitive in this position.

Round 2
Tom Lee 13 disposals, 1 tackle, 7 marks,6 hitouts, 3 goals, 5 behinds
Player Rating: 8.5/10

The big forward/ruckman was the most influential figure on the ground. He led extremely well for the Zebras in the first quarter when he kicked two goals and gave assistance to Jason Holmes in the ruck when he needed it. He is well and truly knocking on Alan Richardson’s door.

“Tom Lee was fantastic again; pinch-hitting in the ruck, going forward and having eight shots on goal,” Ronnie Verma told True Zebras

Paul Hudson 's comments
Tommy Lee provided a real target for us up forward. Over the last two weeks we’ve started to see the fruits of his fitness base and the extra work he did earlier in the year. He was constantly moving and providing a target up forward. Tom took seven marks for the game and kicked 3.5 so he was definitely in amongst it

Round 3
Tom Lee 11 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles
Player Rating: 6.5/10

No goals this week for Lee but he was still a valuable forward target. Trent Durmont was on Lee’s tail all day.
Paul Hudson 's comments
I’ve got a lot of clips of Tommy getting to contests and competing well. He finished with 10 possessions and didn’t kick a goal, but we were pleased with his effort. He was always on the move and just had one of those days where things didn’t land for him.

Round 4
Tom Lee 19 disposals, 2 tackles, 4 marks, 7 hitouts
Player Rating: 7.5
Paul Hudson 's comments
He had 19 disposals for the game and had 11 of them in the last term. So he played really well late in the game mostly as the ruck at that stage.
As a forward he took a few marks and laid a few tackles and really provided a good contest for the smaller players when he was down there, but he didn’t hit the scoreboard.

Round 5
Omitted Soreness

Round 6
Tom Lee 10 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 1 hitout, 3 inside 50′s, 3 rebound 50′s, 1 goal
Player Rating: 3
He was switched between the ruck and forward line and had little impact on the game after missing last round. He was moved into defence in the last quarter and took a couple of marks.

Paul Hudson 's comments
Tommy will be the first to admit that he was a bit disappointing. He only had the 10 touches and he just needs to work hard on his running and contested marking this week so he can be primed for next week.

Round 7
Tom Lee 12 disposals, 1 tackle, 4 marks

Quiet first half where he only collected four disposals and one mark, but was thrown in middle after half time and finished day strongly. Finished with 19 disposals and 4 marks and was instrumental in setting up a few goals

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

NeXtmess-stringer wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Gee not only is free speach being outlawed but it looks like self expression is frowned upon also...what next?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Change now made.

Old nic deactivated as well.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Change now made.

Wow

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Change now made.

Hang on one minute here....
I have been anti the 'troll hunt' on here as I dont really care one way or the other .

But just so there is no confusion - 'Bunk Moreland' is an absolute rabid Essendon poster on Big Footy and one of the biggest Hird apologists going around. He also seems to claim some kind of 'inside knowledge' at the Bombers which is most likely BS.

As I say I don't actually care about this kind of stuff and I don't mind him posting here at all - its a free and open forum so I have no problem with it. Just as long as its all out in the open.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is one of my favourite of his quotes and sums up the self delusion of the bloke:

"Tell you the only difference between the EFC and everybody else here - we're honest with ourselves about our motivations."

[:D :D :D :D :D :D Genuine Comedy]

Post History
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/search/60208672/

SIgnature
Julian Burnside, human rights advocate

"I knew he was dead-keen to fight the thing and to clear his name. And in my view, if it had gone to a contested hearing, he would very likely have been cleared."

"James was acutely aware that Paul Little wanted to have the thing wrapped up before the end of last year, if James had made a contest of it, that was not going to be possible"

"I've been at the bar now for 38 years and I've never acted for someone I regard as so honourable. That's not something I say lightly, let me make that very clear. I've acted for some very good people."