Tommy Lee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tommy Lee

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Well this is all getting quite amusing.

Previously I had though the name 'Bunk Moreland' was something to do with Moreland Road which runs west to the Essendon Cricket Ground.

It turns it out is a popular fictional character from the TV Show "The Wire'.

So I am willing to accept that it is mere coincidence. But it is a very funny one under the circumstances.
The second part of my original nic was stringer after Stringer Bell, a character in the Wire. Bunk Moreland is a large cigar chomping African American Homicide detective in the same series.

I can assure you Con, I am not a Hird or Essendope apologist. Most exciting of this whole season so far was us beating those drug cheating arrogant disgraces.

Next best is when they get their infraction notices.
Sheeeeeeeeeeet.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Lee might be 2 years older than Patton, but probably had similar time in "the system"

Funny that people want to trade a top 3 pick get Patton, but already want "spud" Lee delisted when you look at their short careers so far.

http://tinyurl.com/ohnua8z

Lee career averages (10 matches)
9 disp
3.8 marks
1.7 goals
64% goal kicking accuracy
1.5 tackles

Patton averages (18 matches)
8.8 disp
3.5 marks
1.1 goals
58% goal kicking accuracy
1.6 tackles

No-one is expecting Lee to be anywhere near as good as a Patton, but it's an interesting early comparison nonetheless, considering one is talked up like sliced bread, while the other is continually bagged.

I still have faith that Lee can become a decent player.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'll tell you one thing

I'd trade Lee for Patton in a heartbeat

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I'll tell you one thing

Yeah for sure…

I'd also trade Tom Curren for Jaeger O'Meara,

Just think it's interesting to look at peoples perceptions of players vs their actual performance.

PJ
SS Life Member

The Patton/Lee comparison is an interesting one.

Who has the better set shot? At this stage I'd say Lee based on his conversion rate

Who is quicker on the lead and repeat lead? 50/50

Who is stronger in the marking contest? Patton

Who is better below the knees? Lee but that is only my interpretation on what I've seen

Who has the most potential? If you go by draft order Patton but I'm not sure that is always reliable

Who has the more AFL ready body? Patton maybe just ahead at the minute

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Lee might be 2 years older than Patton, but probably had similar time in "the system"

Funny that people want to trade a top 3 pick get Patton, but already want "spud" Lee delisted when you look at their short careers so far.

http://tinyurl.com/ohnua8z

Lee career averages (10 matches)
9 disp
3.8 marks
1.7 goals
64% goal kicking accuracy
1.5 tackles

Patton averages (18 matches)
8.8 disp
3.5 marks
1.1 goals
58% goal kicking accuracy
1.6 tackles

No-one is expecting Lee to be anywhere near as good as a Patton, but it's an interesting early comparison nonetheless, considering one is talked up like sliced bread, while the other is continually bagged.

I still have faith that Lee can become a decent player.

Interesting stats Dragit. Personally I haven't written Lee off by any means. Just want to see some form at VFL level before he's included.

PJ
SS Life Member

My only observation on issues with Tommy came from watching him up close in the preseason game against Port. He looked cooked most of the time and had trouble making repeat runs - in fact he looked really stressed and this was apparent in the face. Hopefully his work since then is improving his fitness base but from all reports it's not there yet.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Yeah for sure…

Just think it's interesting to look at peoples perceptions of players vs their actual performance.
Actual performance is Tom Lee is struggling to get a kick in the VFL this year. Its fact not perception.

And yes he played well last year but its not last year. Otherwise you might as well put up stats for Fisher and Schneider and Gwilt in 09 and then tell us they are all stars.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Can't see an issue with at least trying Lee in the seniors-it shouldn't be hard to break into a senior team who are getting easily flogged of late, and a team who are struggling in the forward line.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

Yeah for sure…

Actual performance is Tom Lee is struggling to get a kick in the VFL this year. Its fact not perception.

And yes he played well last year but its not last year. Otherwise you might as well put up stats for Fisher and Schneider and Gwilt in 09 and then tell us they are all stars.
Not a fact at all… he's not dominating, but he's kicked 9 goals, playing ruck/fwd… and by all reports the coaching staff are pretty happy with how he is going.

Love you Con, but sometimes you speak just pure rubbish,

Why are you talking about 2009, we're talking about Lee's most recent games last year before season ending injury.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Watched Lee this year

He is struggling big time....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Well this is all getting quite amusing.

Previously I had though the name 'Bunk Moreland' was something to do with Moreland Road which runs west to the Essendon Cricket Ground.

It turns it out is a popular fictional character from the TV Show "The Wire'.

So I am willing to accept that it is mere coincidence. But it is a very funny one under the circumstances.
The second part of my original nic was stringer after Stringer Bell, a character in the Wire. Bunk Moreland is a large cigar chomping African American Homicide detective in the same series.

I can assure you Con, I am not a Hird or Essendope apologist. Most exciting of this whole season so far was us beating those drug cheating arrogant disgraces.

Next best is when they get their infraction notices.
Sheeeeeeeeeeet.

sure....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Watched Lee this year

He is struggling big time....
No offence, but judging by your reasons for Markworth being dropped to the dev squad which were completely off the mark, I'll go with Paul Hudson & Thunda's reports over yours.

Tommy Lee provided a real target for us up forward. Over the last two weeks we’ve started to see the fruits of his fitness base and the extra work he did earlier in the year. He was constantly moving and providing a target up forward. Tom took seven marks for the game and kicked 3.5 so he was definitely in amongst it.

I was pleased for him because in the previous fortnight, he was competing well and playing his role in the structure, but not getting reward in the goals column. But on Saturday Tom kicked four goals and showed really good leading patterns. He also spent some time in the ruck and didn’t look out of place – he was quite competitive in this position.

I’ve got a lot of clips of Tommy getting to contests and competing well. He finished with 10 possessions and didn’t kick a goal, but we were pleased with his effort. He was always on the move and just had one of those days where things didn’t land for him.

He had 19 disposals for the game and had 11 of them in the last term. So he played really well late in the game mostly as the ruck at that stage.
As a forward he took a few marks and laid a few tackles and really provided a good contest for the smaller players when he was down there, but he didn’t hit the scoreboard.

Statistically he didn’t have his best game but he did play his role for the team and competed well in the air. He brought the ball to ground and his leading patterns were very good. His GPS stats tell us that he had longer and more extended running efforts and he probably didn’t get used enough because our ball movement wasn’t aggressive enough. To his credit, he fought all day and played in front.

He's not starring, but it sounds like he's working pretty hard.
Last edited by dragit on Thu 22 May 2014 4:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints94
SS Life Member

He was playing crap footy in the VFL last year before coming in the seniors & kicking 17 goals in 10 games. I'll back in the Lee-Train.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How many times you seen Lee live this year?

No offence, but he has been moved into the ruck, due to his lack of presence on the fwd line.

The game in question was dead. The dogs took the foot off the accelerator ... Lee went into the ruck against a bloke who'd run 3quarters on the ball, and got a few kicks in the back half.

What he does in the ruck at lower level is irrelevant ... He won't player there in the seniors

Question for you
How many negative reports have you read from Huddo?

Because he wasn't very positive to Maister and Lee at the break.

As a 23yo AFL listed Key Fwd... He has not impressed this season in THE role he is meant to play.

Whipping boy Siposs has been much better

I hope he turns it around. We need another fwd to help Nick

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lee needs to be played in the Saints team next week and for at least five weeks after that.
His form at Sandy is irrelevant. He is an AFL player, not a VFL player!

Play him and he will reward us!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tom is in limbo at the mome t.
Not fit enough to pkay HFF and not stronf enough to play Key fwd.

Needs to get his body up to scratch.
Needs games though.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Is he quick and fit enough to be a leading forward?

Is he strong and dominant enough to be a contested marking forward?

Apart from kicking straight he doesn't have a lot going for him.

As BM said hope he makes it we sure as hell need him too.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

unlikely Lee will be the star we all want however he could be a very useful one of three tall forwards.
if things go according to script we should see Stanley, Lee, and an unknown high pick star we simply have to recruit. not necessarily an eighteen year old.
Siposs, Billings, Milera, Markworth, Dunell as small/medium forwards.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe believe posters are compsring Lee to Patton on this forum. That really is delusional. If he can become a Craig O'Brien type, who can lead and play tall, while being aggressive at ground level, that would be okay. Unfortunately what I have seen at Sandy is dissappointing to say the least. Personally, I don't think he is going to make it. Expect Stanley and Lee to both be gone in two years.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Tom Lee wont be the superstar we were hoping for, sand I cant see him becoming a contested marking beast. But if we can get his speed and recovery to AFL standard, and we can deliver the ball to him cleanly out in front on a lead once every quarter, then he will very likely average 3 goals a game. Which is all we need him to do. Draft a few more fast mids with great kicking skills and we can improve Tom Lee's value to our team considerably.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Tom Lee needs to be played in the Saints team next week and for at least five weeks after that.

I agree, he was crap at Sandy last year and played much better in the seniors. Play him into some form. He will get better delivery and more motivation in the seniors.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Tom Lee needs to be played in the Saints team next week and for at least five weeks after that.

I agree, he was crap at Sandy last year and played much better in the seniors. Play him into some form. He will get better delivery and more motivation in the seniors.

If a seconds players cant be motivated enough in the seconds so he can play in the ones then he has some issues. His form has been ordinary at best and still doesnt deserve a game. He may get one if the club get sick of Siposs or maybe Stanley but Stanley can at least ruck at senior level.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Tom Lee wont be the superstar we were hoping for, sand I cant see him becoming a contested marking beast. But if we can get his speed and recovery to AFL standard, and we can deliver the ball to him cleanly out in front on a lead once every quarter, then he will very likely average 3 goals a game. Which is all we need him to do. Draft a few more fast mids with great kicking skills and we can improve Tom Lee's value to our team considerably.
You contradict yourself. Any player who averages 3 goals a game is a superstar.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I still think he will make it, he is possibly a victim of the game plan at the moment. Three talls forward doesn't allow the spread back the other way that we are doing. Lee is probably behind Stanley ATM. I think sometimes we get hung up on anyone not playing seniors thinking they are no good. Especially if their form hasn't been amazing.