If we play 2 games per year in NZ from 2015.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

Re: If we play 2 games per year in NZ from 2015.....

70s sainter wrote:What good are members if they are paying bugger all to be one anyway. Losing two games to n.z might get you a few members over there but it eventually becomes less appealing to home supporters . One game for Anzac Day fair enough but no more.
It's funny how n.z don't care if any locals go to the game - they just want the tourism.
And the afl don't really care about the tourism - they want to promote the game.
I wonder who pays more of the $500,000. ? Wellington council or the afl ?
But a lot of those members will emigrate to Australia and automatically be St Kilda supporters :idea: Actually, 10 years down the track, every person that emigrates from NZ to Aus WILL be Saints supporters :idea:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I do hope you are kidding City?

Have you ever been to NZ by chance?

kalsaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Got to hand it to you for persistence.

I dunno about Christchurch. Real rugger strong hold. Its the Crusaders down there isnt? Population is 360,000 - so bigger than Hobart.

I just think two games per year over there is one too many. It has to be novelty factor.

Nice place for a skiing holiday though.
So is Sydney but New Zealand are likely to be more supportive and wont have the same bias given to Sydney clubs. The 2 games could be rotated through Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch. Helps to keep the novelty up. I also believe he flow on effect would be there as mentioned.

Biggest issue is the revenue earning capacity of pokies and other means. Members will flood back with team success. :( :roll:

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
70s sainter
Club Player

kalsaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Got to hand it to you for persistence.

I dunno about Christchurch. Real rugger strong hold. Its the Crusaders down there isnt? Population is 360,000 - so bigger than Hobart.

I just think two games per year over there is one too many. It has to be novelty factor.

Nice place for a skiing holiday though.
So is Sydney but New Zealand are likely to be more supportive and wont have the same bias given to Sydney clubs. The 2 games could be rotated through Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch. Helps to keep the novelty up. I also believe he flow on effect would be there as mentioned.

Biggest issue is the revenue earning capacity of pokies and other means. Members will flood back with team success. :( :roll:
So you want to sell our soul to try to get a few kiwis on board who have no idea about the game , really care about the game or wouldn't know who t Lockett , t barker , r Harvey or n reiwoldt is if they fell over them in the street .
You've got to be kidding!!

70s sainter
Club Player

Sorry. . Thought you meant 3 games in n .z.
Even 2 games is 1 game too many in my opinion.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

City - you do know there are 5 million people in Sydney and the club is still propped up by the AFL right?

Its also in Australia and only a 1 hour flight away.

Seriously - you have no idea on this one. NZ is not the solution to anything.

citywest

Con Gorozidis wrote:City - you do know there are 5 million people in Sydney and the club is still propped up by the AFL right?

I guess we just have to agree to disagree Con. I am not saying that NZ is a total solution to anything. What I am saying is if it is done properly it can help our club enormously. Just like Tassie has done for Hawthorn.

Does anyone know how many kiwis migrate each year to Aus?? My dream is that every kiwi that does migrate will automatically barrack for St Kilda. How good would that be? As a club we have to think outside the box. If every year we earn an extra $1million (for playing 2 games in NZ), and as a result, end up with 2 less lower drawing games at Etihad then I say go for it. If we also get a flow on effect of say 2000 migrated kiwis each year, automatically barracking for the Saints as soon as they set foot in Australia, then that has to be a good thing.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:City - you do know there are 5 million people in Sydney and the club is still propped up by the AFL right?

I guess we just have to agree to disagree Con. I am not saying that NZ is a total solution to anything. What I am saying is if it is done properly it can help our club enormously. Just like Tassie has done for Hawthorn.

Does anyone know how many kiwis migrate each year to Aus?? My dream is that every kiwi that does migrate will automatically barrack for St Kilda. How good would that be? As a club we have to think outside the box. If every year we earn an extra $1million (for playing 2 games in NZ), and as a result, end up with 2 less lower drawing games at Etihad then I say go for it. If we also get a flow on effect of say 2000 migrated kiwis each year, automatically barracking for the Saints as soon as they set foot in Australia, then that has to be a good thing.
Citywest, how many soccer baseball or rugby teams that play in Melbourne do you follow?
For me the answer is exactly zero!
I went to a soccer game at Olympic park once (FEATURING PELE)if that wasn't enough to convert me what do you think Saints have that will convert Kiwis?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

whiskers3614 wrote: I went to a soccer game at Olympic park once (FEATURING PELE)if that wasn't enough to convert me what do you think Saints have that will convert Kiwis?
We'll pick Richard Hadlee and Martin Crowe. Should be at least as useful as Israel Folau.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

We barely get 10,000 at the Anzac Day game and you want another one there?

Perhaps if we were having some onfield success it might be worth looking into having more than one NZ home game. But for the time being, it's probably best we stick to just having the Anzac Day clash there.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
citywest

Well it's this sort of narrow minded thinking that has brought our club to its knees. Thankfully the club has realized this and are attempting to grow our club. I never said it was going to be easy but doing nothing is worse. As I have said previously, if done correctly we will have 10,000 kiwi members within 10 years.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Citywest, how many soccer baseball or rugby teams that play in Melbourne do you follow?
For me the answer is exactly zero!
Fair point. I like soccer but I exclusively follow European leagues. Wouldn't even know how the Melbourne teams are going from week to week. It's not as easy as just plonking a team in a city and hoping.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Citywest - you are not being open minded but closed minded. Your mind is closed to the reality of what NZ is a culture and a people. They are not an Australian colony and you are a fool to think they are. I ask again have you ever been there? Your 'dream' is not visionary but a childs fantasy of conquering and converting some godless cultureless heathens. You are miles off the mark.

Not only will 'every kiwi who migrates to Australia' as you say NOT go for the Saints - they will not follow AFL at all. Only after living in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth for an extended period are they likely to follow the game.

70s sainter
Club Player

You're making the mistake of comparing tassie to n.z.
It is obvious why they are different. If I lived in tassie I would be that hungry to go to the footy I prob would become a bloody hawks member. However if n.z brought a rugby team to melbourne twice a year I wouldn't go even if I had free tickets.

citywest

Con Gorozidis wrote:Citywest - you are not being open minded but closed minded. Your mind is closed to the reality of what NZ is a culture and a people. They are not an Australian colony and you are a fool to think they are. I ask again have you ever been there? Your 'dream' is not visionary but a childs fantasy of conquering and converting some godless cultureless heathens. You are miles off the mark.

Not only will 'every kiwi who migrates to Australia' as you say NOT go for the Saints - they will not follow AFL at all. Only after living in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth for an extended period are they likely to follow the game.
I'm just glad that the powers that be down at the Saints have more vision than you Con. None of us really have any idea whether or not the Kiwi's will jump on. I would rather die 'giving it a crack' than just die 'without giving it a crack'.

Lets say that we abandon NZ, how do the Saints get their membership up to over 50,000 then prey tell??? Up until now, the most we have ever had is 40,000. And please, don't take the easy way out by saying to win a flag. Come on then, what's your blueprint?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Pipe dreams, Citywest. Pipe dreams.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote: I'm just glad that the powers that be down at the Saints have more vision than you Con. None of us really have any idea whether or not the Kiwi's will jump on. I would rather die 'giving it a crack' than just die 'without giving it a crack'.

Lets say that we abandon NZ, how do the Saints get their membership up to over 50,000 then prey tell??? Up until now, the most we have ever had is 40,000. And please, don't take the easy way out by saying to win a flag. Come on then, what's your blueprint?

Some of us do have at least some idea - I have lived there for starters. Pretty sure you have never been there.
Now Im not saying that's everything - you don't have to land on the moon to know about it - but imo converting kiwis is pure fantasy (note the distinction between fantasy and vision).

Blueprint = there is no silver bullet. Slow build up by building community relationships, trust and good on-field and off-field performance etc etc etc (and also not raping anyone would be a help).

Hey maybe in 20 years ill look silly and the Saints will be huge in NZ - but I have very serious doubts.

citywest

Mark my words, if we play 2 games in NZ each year, one in Wellington and another in Christchurch (or Auckland) we will get our 10,000 members. Added to that we can play a Nab cup there as well. The Saints have to do this Con because if we don't we will forever struggle and will always be in danger of merger/relocation. Don't forget that eventually Tassie WILL get there own team so the AFL will come gunning for one of the weaker teams to either relocate or merge with another struggler. I am certain that by 2025 at the very latest Tassie will be in. The unknown at this stage is who will make way for them.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Mark my words, if we play 2 games in NZ each year, one in Wellington and another in Christchurch (or Auckland) we will get our 10,000 members. Added to that we can play a Nab cup there as well. The Saints have to do this Con because if we don't we will forever struggle and will always be in danger of merger/relocation. Don't forget that eventually Tassie WILL get there own team so the AFL will come gunning for one of the weaker teams to either relocate or merge with another struggler. I am certain that by 2025 at the very latest Tassie will be in. The unknown at this stage is who will make way for them.
NZ is about the bribe from Welly council. We get a 500K payment to play one game. Will we get $1M or say $800K total for 2 games.

Answer that one for me.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
citywest wrote:Mark my words, if we play 2 games in NZ each year, one in Wellington and another in Christchurch (or Auckland) we will get our 10,000 members. Added to that we can play a Nab cup there as well. The Saints have to do this Con because if we don't we will forever struggle and will always be in danger of merger/relocation. Don't forget that eventually Tassie WILL get there own team so the AFL will come gunning for one of the weaker teams to either relocate or merge with another struggler. I am certain that by 2025 at the very latest Tassie will be in. The unknown at this stage is who will make way for them.
NZ is about the bribe from Welly council. We get a 500K payment to play one game. Will we get $1M or say $800K total for 2 games.

Answer that one for me.

I agree with Citywest. We need to have two games a year there. Think long term, it could be worth 8 points a year once we bed it down. Other teams will hate to go all the way to NZ, and Wellington would love it as they would get supporters from the other clubs going over.

I reckon if the AFL worked with the Saints and Wellington, it could be worth 800k to a million. We have to face the fact that we are like North and the Bulldogs and melbourne and that we ware small and struggle with cashflows.

Good idea Citywest, I think you are right on the money with this one.

You are garbage - Enough said
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Oh boy.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Oh boy.
Do you want to make a phone call to Nexxmus or should I?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
citywest

saintspremiers wrote:
You can't let it go can you saintspremiers?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
You can't post under one username either

citywest

saintspremiers wrote:
citywest wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
You can't post under one username either
Are you accusing me of posting under more than 1 user are you? If so, then prove it.