Can & when will St Kilda win a premiership?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigbadxav
Club Player

Can & when will St Kilda win a premiership?

The million dollar question?
Who will be coach? and will Raph Clarke have a son playing in the granny?
.... a conundrum based on the past

happy feet
Club Player

Re: Can & when will St Kilda win a premiership?

Under the current AFL system, nope, never,

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
bigbadxav
Club Player

I'm saving a bottle of Jonny walker blue for when we crack it. (hoping)
But I have to say I'm a pessimistic about the future..
I'm hoping we can achieve ultimately a successful culture when we can build a strong team like Geelong & Hawthorn and stay up there for a great period of time.
I feel like we always have to bottom out where as the successful clubs are able to rejuvenate the list/top up and still are able to play finals year after year.
Sydney comes to mind.

bigbadxav
Club Player

happy feet wrote:Under the current AFL system, nope, never,

Never.. whatttt :( I presume your talking about the amount of teams in the comp and the tribunal system changing the rules

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:Under the current AFL system, nope, never,
Yes we can. Hopeless in the early naughties and a few years later was the start of a strong period. We're down the bottom now but will rise again. It will come and be so sweet when it does.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yes we can and will.

Finals in 2017 (maybe) or 2018 and a real crack by 2019, 2020.

Of course this is reliant on a couple of gun forwards and at least two more elite midfielders in the next few drafts or free agency. On recent form by our recruiters I'm confident. With free agency we would hold off till 2016 draft.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

2020 vision for me.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
happy feet
Club Player

Fellow Saints supporters, please tell me how we can win a premiership against the AFL supported interstate clubs, the power house money making machines that are Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon (hopefully they are sent to oblivion soon), Geelong and the mega profits they generate. How do we compete financially with the stadium deal that financially is like a dead weight around our neck, when others rake in big bucks from guaranteed block buster games that others are denied. How do we compete against a stacked draw that is orientated towards revenue rather than fair competition or a corrupted draft to ensure expansion team success. This is why I am disenchanted with the AFL. I love the Saints, always have, always will, but I try to rationalise all the above by acknowledging that AFl at the elite level is no longer a sport, but now just entertainment.

Totally stuffed?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We will win one sometime. Brisbane were unbeatable when we rebuilt. We will just come over the top. We will be set to raid the interstaters from where we are.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

happy feet wrote:Fellow Saints supporters, please tell me how we can win a premiership against the AFL supported interstate clubs, the power house money making machines that are Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon (hopefully they are sent to oblivion soon), Geelong and the mega profits they generate. How do we compete financially with the stadium deal that financially is like a dead weight around our neck, when others rake in big bucks from guaranteed block buster games that others are denied. How do we compete against a stacked draw that is orientated towards revenue rather than fair competition or a corrupted draft to ensure expansion team success. This is why I am disenchanted with the AFL. I love the Saints, always have, always will, but I try to rationalise all the above by acknowledging that AFl at the elite level is no longer a sport, but now just entertainment.

Totally stuffed?
To address the thread title's question:
Simon's 2020 flag will follow the 2018 flag! (Don't rule out a three-peat, but that will most likely take a decade or so longer... see my response to Happy's question...)

To address Happy's question:
You have encapsulated our problem. :idea:
If we keep going as before, we will be doomed to bump along the lower levels of the ladder, with the occasional forages higher, and if absolutely everything falls in place, we may make a GF along the way.

It's clearly very very hard to win a flag.
Basically, unlike the privileged clubs listed above, we simply have no margin for error!
And that fact is bourne out by both how many flags we've won,
and from how many attempts... played in eight GFs for the one flag. :(
:idea:

The answer, and the only way I can see for us to turn the football world on its head... see any one of several Junction Oval-themed threads,
ignore the pessimistic assessments, and...
embrace would could and should be!
Embrace the big vision!!! 8-)

It neither can, nor needs to, happen overnight. (As Pluggs is well aware..., the whole 'Rome not being built in a day' thing. :wink: )
But ultimately, none of those other boring soulless vanilla clubs can compete with
what is possible for our wonderfully maverick St Kilda footy club,
based and playing out of the unique suburb that is our birthplace and spiritual home... St Kilda. 8-) :idea: 8-)

Have the faith Saintas!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Doubt it

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Doubt it
Is this your cat Marto?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, 2098.

I am confident that the mother of the next St Kilda premiership coach will be born in the next decade, or so.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Yes, 2098.
That sounds logical.

Rosco
Club Player

we'll fluke one at some point. hopefully against collingwood.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Dave McNamara wrote:
happy feet wrote:Fellow Saints supporters, please tell me how we can win a premiership against the AFL supported interstate clubs, the power house money making machines that are Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon (hopefully they are sent to oblivion soon), Geelong and the mega profits they generate. How do we compete financially with the stadium deal that financially is like a dead weight around our neck, when others rake in big bucks from guaranteed block buster games that others are denied. How do we compete against a stacked draw that is orientated towards revenue rather than fair competition or a corrupted draft to ensure expansion team success. This is why I am disenchanted with the AFL. I love the Saints, always have, always will, but I try to rationalise all the above by acknowledging that AFl at the elite level is no longer a sport, but now just entertainment.

Totally stuffed?
To address the thread title's question:
Simon's 2020 flag will follow the 2018 flag! (Don't rule out a three-peat, but that will most likely take a decade or so longer... see my response to Happy's question...)

To address Happy's question:
You have encapsulated our problem. :idea:

If we keep going as before, we will be doomed to bump along the lower levels of the ladder, with the occasional forages higher, and if absolutely everything falls in place, we may make a GF along the way.

It's clearly very very hard to win a flag.
Basically, unlike the privileged clubs listed above, we simply have no margin for error!
And that fact is bourne out by both how many flags we've won,
and from how many attempts... played in eight GFs for the one flag. :(
:idea:

The answer, and the only way I can see for us to turn the football world on its head... see any one of several Junction Oval-themed threads,
ignore the pessimistic assessments, and...
embrace would could and should be!
Embrace the big vision!!! 8-)

It neither can, nor needs to, happen overnight. (As Pluggs is well aware..., the whole 'Rome not being built in a day' thing. :wink: )
But ultimately, none of those other boring soulless vanilla clubs can compete with
what is possible for our wonderfully maverick St Kilda footy club,
based and playing out of the unique suburb that is our birthplace and spiritual home... St Kilda. 8-) :idea: 8-)

Have the faith Saintas!
Nice thought Dave, but can't see it. ( Junction Oval move )

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
Is this your cat Marto?
:lol:

Middo
Club Player

Great Contribution ... :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Nope.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
busso mick
Club Player

Of course we can but it depends on our recruiting for the next 2 years. My guess is 2019. Things can change very quickly as Port Adelaide have demonstrated. I also remember when Plugger left us and people were thinking we would be an uncompetitive rabble, in 2 years we were in a Grand Final.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Stephen Theodore wrote:Nice thought Dave, but can't see it. ( Junction Oval move )
Hi ST, check a few of the relevant threads (just search under 'Junction Oval' or 'Pluggs says "No way" ' :wink: ),

and ...embrace. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Totally stuffed?
Come one, Happy!

It was only four and five years ago respectively that we were only a toe poke and a bad bounce off from winning two premierships. We were just bloody unlucky to come away empty handed. I guess some more luck comes into fostering the talent we have and developing it into another great team. The club's current catch cry is "The Road to 2018". That's a pretty reasonable time frame to develop a new team to compete in the finals. Granted, both GWS, GCS and the rich clubs will be in our paths, but by then, who knows?

It seems bleak now, but god's sake, hang in there!
bigbadxav wrote:I'm saving a bottle of Jonny walker blue for when we crack it. (hoping)
Hahaha I like this idea. Might do something similar myself.

And to answer your question, I reckon we'll win our first flag since 1966 in either 2019 or 2020.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

look wining a flag is bloody hard to do ... you cannot predict when it will happen as we have seen in 2009 everything can trend in the right direction only to have the little things go wrong and the dream be gone ...
what i will say is by 2017 we should have the players from the rebuild to get into the finals .. once there skill, form and a huge chunk of luck come into play .. either way its our team so we should support them regardless

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
PJ
SS Life Member

Is the pope catholic?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Of course we can, I'm a little worried about the next push purely on a statistical probability format. I know they mean diddly in the end but I cant ignore it.

The one being that we made grand finals on both the previous built st kilda teams and teams don't really make a grand final on every rebuild. Made 97 and arguably should have won. Could argue for 04 then there's 09 which was the golden one.

Then there's the GWS, GC problem.

Well that's the glass half empty side, but as I said statistics really mean nothing, there's no crystal ball into the future and anything could happen. Maybe a 3-peat :p