4 weeks of observations

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

4 weeks of observations

Think a 4 week period is a better way to give opinions on the club and how players are going so my ban has some upside in this case. The following is my observations over the last 4 weeks.

Lenny, Joey and Rooy are still clearly our best players. The problem with Rooy is its hard to impact a team from FF when the team is going poorly and that’s why it seems his game has dropped of a little. Jack is still a chance to get into that group once he gets fully fit and this week’s bye could be the ideal time for him to rest this week and do some real hard training next week which will help him on game day.

Billings still looks a special player and i know to some you shouldn’t go early on being called a star, but obviously you can if calling someone a hack, but this guy does have star potential. I see Dunstan as more your workhorse. He will become a very important player in the long term and its a huge call but I’m not sure he will get to the really top bracket because of pace issues. Yep I know Lenny has had that all his career but its just my call on him. Acres shows plenty also but way to early to know about him. Newnes has also showed some big improvement over the last few weeks and seems like a good running wingman like a Joey type player. Webster also shows a lot but s still learning and does get goaled kicked on him. I have confidence he will be a good player though. Other young players over the last few weeks have shown a bit but nothing to suggest they will be anything more than solid.

Now the disappointing group and there are a few. Where do you start? Stanley, Siposs, White, Savage and Lee. Not sure any of these players will have any impact in a successful future. Harsh on White but he shouldn’t be in a pathetic seconds comp. People seems happy with Siposs on Sunday but I was disappointed when it really mattered in the first half. He was terrible. Stanley’s last 2 weeks have also been terrible. Not even impacting when helping in the ruck. He has now played nearly 50 games and 5 seasons. He really needs to show more. Lee has been the most disappointing. Can’t use injury as an excuse. He has only missed one game. Savage well that just looks like wasted pick. The emergency from GF sides doesn’t mean they can play in poor sides.

Traded players. I like Bruce. He is awkward but he is young and learning. Delaney has surprised me but I think he is a pure stopper which is fine if you have players to make up for his lack of possessions.

The older guys like TDL, Milera, Jimmy, Ray and CJ will continue to occasionally play just because we need that experience but the sooner they don’t get games is the sooner our rebuild has started. Milera was ok on Sunday but that is about all you will get with him. Most times he will be worse than that. Ive been a fan of CJ but its nearly time for at least a rest. Jimmy is similar. Ray has been solid this year and deserves to keep playing. He is certainly the best of that group. TDL, yep just another emergency from a GF.

The rookies have been given a chance this season and have done ok. Weller seems ok as does Shenton and Templeton is young and certain to stay but will either Weller or Shenton have any long term value. Certainly not sold on either as long term players.

Then there is the others like Maister, Dunnell, Roberton etc. It seems these guys may only get games at the last resort, actually that’s to tough on Roberton but he does need to show something.

Overall I think our biggest problem is how slow we are in the midfield. Not sure I have any answers to that but clearly that is causing issues. We have Hayes, Dunstan, Weller, an d Ross who even though all tackle well are never going to pressure a player who has the ball on the run because they have no hope of catching them. We need more pace in there. Also the forward line has one good tall and not one promising one so I’m unsure what happens in 2 years time. The backline in at least solid and with Wrights pace and Webster skills it has a chance to become a good backline and that’s a good starting point.

At the trade table we need one or two tall forwards and only midfielders with pace. Forget any other types. 4 weeks has shown me we have a long long way to go which wont surprise many but I’m worried about how long the rebuild will be especially as the last 4 weeks has also shown all our best players are over 30 apart from jack.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: 4 weeks of observations

Reasonable assessment. I agree with you on a lot of that.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Pretty accurate summation.

Bring back the Lockett era
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Nice summary. Thanks.
WB
Last edited by satchmo on Mon 19 May 2014 6:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Welcome back Plugger, this forum was different without you.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Think a 4 week period is a better way to give opinions on the club and how players are going so my ban has some upside in this case. The following is my observations over the last 4 weeks.

Lenny, Joey and Rooy are still clearly our best players. The problem with Rooy is its hard to impact a team from FF when the team is going poorly and that’s why it seems his game has dropped of a little. Jack is still a chance to get into that group once he gets fully fit and this week’s bye could be the ideal time for him to rest this week and do some real hard training next week which will help him on game day.

Billings still looks a special player and i know to some you shouldn’t go early on being called a star, but obviously you can if calling someone a hack, but this guy does have star potential. I see Dunstan as more your workhorse. He will become a very important player in the long term and its a huge call but I’m not sure he will get to the really top bracket because of pace issues. Yep I know Lenny has had that all his career but its just my call on him. Acres shows plenty also but way to early to know about him. Newnes has also showed some big improvement over the last few weeks and seems like a good running wingman like a Joey type player. Webster also shows a lot but s still learning and does get goaled kicked on him. I have confidence he will be a good player though. Other young players over the last few weeks have shown a bit but nothing to suggest they will be anything more than solid.

Now the disappointing group and there are a few. Where do you start? Stanley, Siposs, White, Savage and Lee. Not sure any of these players will have any impact in a successful future. Harsh on White but he shouldn’t be in a pathetic seconds comp. People seems happy with Siposs on Sunday but I was disappointed when it really mattered in the first half. He was terrible. Stanley’s last 2 weeks have also been terrible. Not even impacting when helping in the ruck. He has now played nearly 50 games and 5 seasons. He really needs to show more. Lee has been the most disappointing. Can’t use injury as an excuse. He has only missed one game. Savage well that just looks like wasted pick. The emergency from GF sides doesn’t mean they can play in poor sides.

Traded players. I like Bruce. He is awkward but he is young and learning. Delaney has surprised me but I think he is a pure stopper which is fine if you have players to make up for his lack of possessions.

The older guys like TDL, Milera, Jimmy, Ray and CJ will continue to occasionally play just because we need that experience but the sooner they don’t get games is the sooner our rebuild has started. Milera was ok on Sunday but that is about all you will get with him. Most times he will be worse than that. Ive been a fan of CJ but its nearly time for at least a rest. Jimmy is similar. Ray has been solid this year and deserves to keep playing. He is certainly the best of that group. TDL, yep just another emergency from a GF.

The rookies have been given a chance this season and have done ok. Weller seems ok as does Shenton and Templeton is young and certain to stay but will either Weller or Shenton have any long term value. Certainly not sold on either as long term players.

Then there is the others like Maister, Dunnell, Roberton etc. It seems these guys may only get games at the last resort, actually that’s to tough on Roberton but he does need to show something.

Overall I think our biggest problem is how slow we are in the midfield. Not sure I have any answers to that but clearly that is causing issues. We have Hayes, Dunstan, Weller, an d Ross who even though all tackle well are never going to pressure a player who has the ball on the run because they have no hope of catching them. We need more pace in there. Also the forward line has one good tall and not one promising one so I’m unsure what happens in 2 years time. The backline in at least solid and with Wrights pace and Webster skills it has a chance to become a good backline and that’s a good starting point.

At the trade table we need one or two tall forwards and only midfielders with pace. Forget any other types. 4 weeks has shown me we have a long long way to go which wont surprise many but I’m worried about how long the rebuild will be especially as the last 4 weeks has also shown all our best players are over 30 apart from jack.

Spot on. I like Weller a lot, that's my only addition.

Rosco
Club Player

Webster has skills, but is also very quick. Plus he has confidence in his pace, backs himself to get there first. I like him.

Saint wagga
Club Player

A fair assessment and everyone is due their opinion! I agree wholeheartedly that our Three amigos remain the clubs best players consistently by a stretch(and that's ok, especially if the fire in lenny still burns and he goes around again next year)...but I reckon ur best point is that the sooner our large group of GOP's stop getting selected based on being pushed out by more consistent and better output by young players, that's when we know we will have turned a corner...and I really am looking forward to that, hopefully towards the middle of next year!!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stanley is being gifted games in my opinion and should be traded asap while he still has currency.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Stanley is being gifted games in my opinion and should be traded asap while he still has currency.

I cant see how he has any currancy at all especially as you say he has been gifted games.

Rosco
Club Player

If Dal and Goddard were still here they'd probably be in top 5 too. Bygones.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:A fair assessment and everyone is due their opinion! I agree wholeheartedly that our Three amigos remain the clubs best players consistently by a stretch(and that's ok, especially if the fire in lenny still burns and he goes around again next year)...but I reckon ur best point is that the sooner our large group of GOP's stop getting selected based on being pushed out by more consistent and better output by young players, that's when we know we will have turned a corner...and I really am looking forward to that, hopefully towards the middle of next year!!
i reckon maybe a little bit longer ... we got good kids in this draft , we will get some more in the next i reckon the year after we would also need a couple of top end picks to really help the cause along ... 4 seasons in total in the bottom will net us a list of players that will have us ready to take a shot at the flag

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Welcome back big boy. Didn't read all your post as it was far too long. I'm sure it was spot on though.

Astute observation P66, it's good to have you back.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I'll be very interested in this years delistings, i'm eager to find out which players the brains trust think can't take us forward as a club.

Not much else to look forward to at the minute.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Who's this new fella? Taking the name of a legend by what right? And taking up needed bandwidth by posting a novel on here and expecting us to read it? Sin bin him for a month!
But welcome back plugger - bigfooty will miss you.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Who's this new fella? Taking the name of a legend by what right? And taking up needed bandwidth by posting a novel on here and expecting us to read it? Sin bin him for a month!
But welcome back plugger - bigfooty will miss you.

Wouldnt think so. Dont think I made any impact there at all.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Our spiritual leader is back! Pretty strict parole conditions I bet?

A quality summation. I thought Shenton showed a bit in yesterday's game.

P66 why are we poor in the 1st and world beaters in the 3rd?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

4 weeks? only feels like yesterday… :D

Maybe they should just let you on here once a month for a monthly wrap and stinger bi-annually to drop a few emoticons.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Our spiritual leader is back! Pretty strict parole conditions I bet?

No idea but probably a combination of things. less pressure on the younger players because most times the game is lost and probably even more importantly less pressure from the opposition because the game is probably won by then. Also maybe the game has slowed down enough by then that our slower midfield starts getting the ball more.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I really like Eli, Duntan, Newnes, Billings, Wright (all natural footballers)... Weller and Shenton potentially look the goods too.

I think Siposs is still a chance, while Stanley sadly aint.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Agree with your post.

What the heck has happened to roberton?? He was the find of the century last year and can't buy a game this year..??

Per your post i agree sipp, Stanley and White have all been very disappointing and are prob gone...I still hold a glimmer of hope for lee tho.

Of all that bunch white is the biggest disappointment - he was our first pick of that draft and he has shown nothing. It was poor recruiting based on today's performance

Savage is average

I really like Bruce and agree Delaney has been a find

Rookies - I actually think there's room for all 3 if they keep playing and improving the way they have

#1 Ryder fan
markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Our spiritual leader is back! Pretty strict parole conditions I bet?

No idea but probably a combination of things. less pressure on the younger players because most times the game is lost and probably even more importantly less pressure from the opposition because the game is probably won by then. Also maybe the game has slowed down enough by then that our slower midfield starts getting the ball more.
I heard post match one of the younger players say they responded to a bit of a sting at half time.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:4 weeks? only feels like yesterday… :D

Maybe they should just let you on here once a month for a monthly wrap and stinger bi-annually to drop a few emoticons.
:wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote:Stanley is being gifted games in my opinion and should be traded asap while he still has currency.
I reckon a pick between 40 and 50 would be the best we'd get for Stanley.