The Pelican

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

The Pelican

Master Genius OR painfully incompetent

when is it fair to make a call on him?

Remember he has been there since 2011.

Wondering what others think of his performance so far.

Should he be in the box next to AR?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Pelican

Todays dilemma is no fault of his. The seeds of this debacle were sewn between 2006 and 2009. He is merely trying to fix up a very bad legacy,

We can start to judge Pelchen and Elshaug in 2016, when the current group of youngsters are a bit more mature.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Excellent judge of footskills.....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Never trust a guy who you have been told has told a lie.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we all gave him 5 years and that is fair.

We are still paying the price for 2007-2011 so not Pelican's team yet.

By the end of 2016 - the jury will be in on Pelican.

saint-stu
Club Player

I'm still really happy with the result of last years trade period. I think it would be incompetent to do the safe thing and keep all our older players. We would pay for it even more in the long run, having a much longer period at the bottom.

1ac46a38
oldie60
Club Player

Looks like we are on the same page as i just raised a similar thread. Over the years i can't remember seeing the head of football sitting in the box next to the coach on to many occasions. Is he there to make sure AR is doing his job,provide support listen to comments about players so he can make delisiting decisions or is he just a control freak. To me he is like any other person involved at a football club in that he has a role and surely failure to perform that task to the best of his ability should not protect him from the same situations coaches,administrators and players face when not performing. What are the Pelican's KPI's and who will deliver the message to him when he fails.Has he been clever to deflect alot of the responsibility away from himself by delegating so he does'nt look bad.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Never trust a guy who you have been told has told a lie.
Sorry if you have explained this on another thread,

But could you be so kind...

Playon
Club Player

Who told the lie? The guy who told you that the guy telling the truth was telling the lie or the guy was telling the truth about the guy telling the lie.
Honestly what are you on about?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas sat in the coaches box as head of football.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:
Sorry if you have explained this on another thread,

But could you be so kind...

I said it when we recruited him. A mate who worked at hawthorn said he was sacked from that club. Could be lying or have it wrong but that is what he told me.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Cant see any legitimate reason for him to be in the coach's box. Was he there today ? Never noticed him. He must like getting his head on telly.

Playon
Club Player

Just as all politicians love babies, does it really matter? The proof will be in the pudding.
Just wondering how many clubs have undisclosed matters.

lloyd21
Club Player

oldie60 wrote:Looks like we are on the same page as i just raised a similar thread. Over the years i can't remember seeing the head of football sitting in the box next to the coach on to many occasions. Is he there to make sure AR is doing his job,provide support listen to comments about players so he can make delisiting decisions or is he just a control freak. To me he is like any other person involved at a football club in that he has a role and surely failure to perform that task to the best of his ability should not protect him from the same situations coaches,administrators and players face when not performing. What are the Pelican's KPI's and who will deliver the message to him when he fails.Has he been clever to deflect alot of the responsibility away from himself by delegating so he does'nt look bad.

8-) maybe don't look at
Hawthorn cause their head of football is there 8-)

Just clutching at straws been said countless times you can't have 5 years wasted in recruitment things will turn around

Think their recruiting has finally improved gonna take years.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Actually our kids were ok today...

The players that really let us down today were in the main all of the pre-Pelchen players....apart from Roo, and Armo was fair.

Stanley was ok till the ball supply dried up.

The Club's strategy is clearly to bottom out and garner as many early picks as possible. So we are going to not win many games for a while. But the way our older brigade have all in the main fallen over a form cliff is disheartening. That means we are not just losing, but we are an embarrassment.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

He means well but I serioulsly have concerns that our club wont cope with a rebuild like he and AR are embarking on?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The jury is well and truly still out on the Pelican and it's not looking great at the moment!

What I do not like, is that I cannot see any "likely" top-rating players that will surely develop with a couple of years behind them - I can't see any potential Rooey's, BJ's, Dals, Joey's, Lenny, Fishers, to name a few. That's what he is being paid for to get and 3 years in, it's still a long way off.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:
oldie60 wrote:Looks like we are on the same page as i just raised a similar thread. Over the years i can't remember seeing the head of football sitting in the box next to the coach on to many occasions. Is he there to make sure AR is doing his job,provide support listen to comments about players so he can make delisiting decisions or is he just a control freak. To me he is like any other person involved at a football club in that he has a role and surely failure to perform that task to the best of his ability should not protect him from the same situations coaches,administrators and players face when not performing. What are the Pelican's KPI's and who will deliver the message to him when he fails.Has he been clever to deflect alot of the responsibility away from himself by delegating so he does'nt look bad.

8-) maybe don't look at
Hawthorn cause their head of football is there 8-)

Just clutching at straws been said countless times you can't have 5 years wasted in recruitment things will turn around

Think their recruiting has finally improved gonna take years.
This.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
howlinwolf
Club Player

We all seemed to be VERY happy with our strategy and picks this year. We were lauded as having a successful trade period by the media.Pelchen did very well here.
We have to inject youth and that there is not going to give instant results. We must be patient.
Another two good years at the trade table and we're on the way.
I'd prefer to bottom out good and proper for a few years and then have a decent crack at glory than panic and top up with mediocrity just to get a couple of wins on the board.

Look at Richmond and Carlton and to a lesser extent North.. I'd rather the route we are going than kid ourselves like them.
To win a flag these days is going to need a great team not a mediocre one that gets lucky.Those days are gone.

Just relax people and have faith there is a plan and it's in it's infant stages.
We have 30K members this year which is a clear sign of Fortius Quo Fidelius.
That's us. Loyal Sainters. One day it will happen and it will be sweet.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:The jury is well and truly still out on the Pelican and it's not looking great at the moment!

What I do not like, is that I cannot see any "likely" top-rating players that will surely develop with a couple of years behind them - I can't see any potential Rooey's, BJ's, Dals, Joey's, Lenny, Fishers, to name a few. That's what he is being paid for to get and 3 years in, it's still a long way off.
We need more I agree, a lot more..but to say not any "likely" is an overkill.

Billings and Dunstan both have shown enough already this to suggest real class IMO.

Acres unfortunately has been interrupted with injury, an so we will have to wait and see.

Personally I think Steven will be back to be good next year. His injury stuffed him up this year.

While not a star I think Delaney has been a find this year and as shown he can play FB for many years. Having a capable FB is important.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 06 Jul 2014 8:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:We all seemed to be VERY happy with our strategy and picks this year. We were lauded as having a successful trade period by the media.Pelchen did very well here.
We have to inject youth and that there is not going to give instant results. We must be patient.
Another two good years at the trade table and we're on the way.
I'd prefer to bottom out good and proper for a few years and then have a decent crack at glory than panic and top up with mediocrity just to get a couple of wins on the board.

Look at Richmond and Carlton and to a lesser extent North.. I'd rather the route we are going than kid ourselves like them.
To win a flag these days is going to need a great team not a mediocre one that gets lucky.Those days are gone.

Just relax people and have faith there is a plan and it's in it's infant stages.
We have 30K members this year which is a clear sign of Fortius Quo Fidelius.
That's us. Loyal Sainters. One day it will happen and it will be sweet.

30K isnt loyal, its a disgrace. Our club should be over 40k after the period of success we had. As for the other part i agree that we are doing the right thing. Not sure Pelchen is the right person for the job though.

saint-stu
Club Player

We didn't make 40 when we were contending so what hope do we have of that now?

We just don't have that big a supporter base. We are competing with 9 other Victorian teams.

1ac46a38
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:We didn't make 40 when we were contending so what hope do we have of that now?

We just don't have that big a supporter base. We are competing with 9 other Victorian teams.

I agree now its impossible. My point really was how the hell didnt we get to 40k back then. Should have been nudging 50 and we could be 40 now.

saint-stu
Club Player

We weren't legitimately contenders for that long. Not like Geelong.

1ac46a38
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:We weren't legitimately contenders for that long. Not like Geelong.

2004 until 2011. Thats a bloody long time in footy.