Riewoldt Showing His Obvious Frustration

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt Showing His Obvious Frustration

I recall two occasions where Roo had the ball kicked over his head and then stood at a standstill and didn't turnaround and man the mark or chase his opponent. Clearly frustrated but this was not a good look for his younger team mates and simply not a good look for the St Kilda FC and its fans. I understand he's frustrated as the ball is not delivered to him as it should be but in my opinion he needs this not to become a trend.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt Showing His Obvious Frustration

I thought Old Mate that Roo may not have been able to turn around. I wonder just how bad his knees are? I have arthritis in my knees and I have an idea how painful it can be just walking.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Although he did appear very frustrated.

oldie60
Club Player

When you have such high standards you tend to expect everyone to follow suit but nonetheless we keep hearing that our senior players are role models for the younger blokes it does not look good for the club.I think Rooey wears his heart on his sleeve and unfortunately emotion plays a big part of his demeanor.You kind of wish he would ease up a tad but it must be difficult when you have been on the cusp success and now light years away from it with maybe only a couple of years left. It would be ashamed if he leaves the game with a dislike to the club's performances but it is what it is.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if he's on the ground he is fine
look at hte way he runs off from contests and chases
he turns fine and sprints fine
in fact he played on the wing a bit and got touches and run and linked on one occasion

yeah sure he gets fluid drained from it each week, but if it was that bad he wouldnt be playing in a bottom side would he, he'd be in for surgery now so he can get a pre season (possibly the last) in.

tbh i dont care what his reaction is either when the ball is not delivered on his tit
if he spits it its bad
if he shows nothing its bad
no matter what he does says or when he takes a dump people will carry on about it

next week when he gets it kicked ove rhis head i hope he turns around gives it a clap and a thumbs up and says keep on trying young fella, youll get there....that give everyone something to talk about....how he is being too nice now and shows no emotion

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Those kick deserved a spray to be honest and as captain he should be giving them. Gwilt is lucky he didnt walk up and belt him fair in the nose.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saint wagga
Club Player

Perhaps we should all rethink weather Matthew Richardson was such a wally after all, I mean he played it crap teams for a decade, and has copped endless sledging for his poor body language on field...does it make him a bad team man...is Rooey a bad team man? No, he just has the hghest of standards...could he contain it better, probably a bit...but i don't think it's that big a deal...the guy is obviously reveered by his teamates!!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Nick had every right to show as much frustration as he liked yesterday. That was the worst delivery to a single player I've ever seen in a game of football, at any level. St Kilda completed more passes to Jamieson than they did to Riewoldt. Embarrassing.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I never thought that Matty Richardson was a sook. I saw his efforts when he played the Saints, and he was trying his guts out at every contest. A sook doesn't try. A sook starts to, well, sook. Starts to give less than his best. I haven't noticed that with Roo either.

Riewoldt spoke after the game about his body language and how he needs to keep it in check. He's aware of it

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Nick had every right to show as much frustration as he liked yesterday. That was the worst delivery to a single player I've ever seen in a game of football, at any level. St Kilda completed more passes to Jamieson than they did to Riewoldt. Embarrassing.
Agree. It was pathetic.
Some of our players should be punished on the track as a result, but that doesn't happen nowadays sadly.

Rooey must think he's playing with careless fruitcakes at times.

I guess if you have a contract you get paid whether playing for us or Sandy. Maybe a few don't care enough anymore.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Why is it pathetic?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Why is it pathetic?

Because he is allowed to get upset. As I said previously Michael Voss went to the selectors and said certain players should be dropped if they didnt go as hard as he would like. it didnt seem to effect them at the time. These players are adults. They can handle the occssional bake. it wont hurt them in the short or long term.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No. Why is the kicking inside 50 pathetic?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The problem here is that abusing a team mate for a skill error probably isn't going to help them do it better next time, it's not like players are executing kicks poorly on purpose. If anything a bake from the captain will just make players focus on their mistakes which I'm sure they're already well aware of.

Encouragement is probably more helpful than a bake… at any rate Riewoldt has had many field kicking blunders this year, I can remember some absolute howlers like missing Stanley from only 25 metres.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:No. Why is the kicking inside 50 pathetic?

Because they arent good enough.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Gee it's going to be interesting to see if Roo does move up the ground for an experiment. Could prove the theory wrong that he is no good below the knees. Listening to Wayne Carey on the weekend reckons for a bloke that doesn't have many weaknesses...below the knees is one of them.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Could also disprove the theory that our players can't kick inside 50...

Something isn't right.

They aren't coping with the pressure of hitting Roo, like it or not

That may not indicate he is super scary, just that it may have become too much of an issue and they are rattled.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Could also disprove the theory that our players can't kick inside 50...

Something isn't right.

That may not indicate he is super scary, just that it may have become too much of an issue and they are rattled.

Got to say SK I have never heard such rubbish. They cant kick it properly to Roo because they are rattled. Whats their excuse with other forwards, backs and mids? Why cant they do basic handballs to each other? Its pretty simple and it isnt because of Roo. Some lack skill, some have lost confidence and the whole club is under pressure perceived or not due to poor form.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Could also disprove the theory that our players can't kick inside 50...

Something isn't right.

Got to say SK I have never heard such rubbish. They cant kick it properly to Roo because they are rattled. Whats their excuse with other forwards, backs and mids? Why cant they do basic handballs to each other? Its pretty simple and it isnt because of Roo. Some lack skill, some have lost confidence and the whole club is under pressure perceived or not due to poor form.

Add to that the other forwards dont work hard enough to be an option. Yesterday, as we were getting thrashed I stopped ball watching and looked upfield more and more, many time the mids had the ball looked for an option, looked again, looked for another, and the only option was riewoldt who had worked hard to get into a position. By this time the ball carrier was pressured by a Carlton defender and the pass was under pressure. Happened time and time again, except for of course Gwilt kicking it over his head from 40 metres out

You are garbage - Enough said
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Rooey had every right to show his displeasure yesterday...........the ball delivery to him was absolutely deplorable.....an absolute disgrace at AFL level.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

BakesFan wrote:Rooey had every right to show his displeasure yesterday...........the ball delivery to him was absolutely deplorable.....an absolute disgrace at AFL level.

Absolute disgrace at junior level

You are garbage - Enough said
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Something isn't right.

I'd say you have heard far more rubbish...

As for mids looking for an option, teams like hawthorn have 12+ individual goal kickers most weeks, that doesn't happen when they look for Roughead every time.

Have a ping yourself...especially if the forwards have multiple opposition defenders pushing back to cover.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Something isn't right.

Add to that the other forwards dont work hard enough to be an option. Yesterday, as we were getting thrashed I stopped ball watching and looked upfield more and more, many time the mids had the ball looked for an option, looked again, looked for another, and the only option was riewoldt who had worked hard to get into a position. By this time the ball carrier was pressured by a Carlton defender and the pass was under pressure. Happened time and time again, except for of course Gwilt kicking it over his head from 40 metres out

Thats what i have said for the last 3 years. We have 3 of the laziest or unfitest forwards in todays footy that I have seen, Siposs, lee and Stanley so it either is bomb to them which is a complete waste of time or kick it to Rooy who continues to present 3 or 4 times every lead.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

They should rest him this week. The other blokes are hiding behind him. Either way, Roo's head aint right and he should have a spell.

Put the acid on Stanley.

$10 he will fail and fail badly. But he wont be the lone ranger.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Something isn't right.

Could not agree more...