Delisting retirements

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

robsaint
Club Player

Delisting retirements

We have to delist/retire 3 players. The ones I have put a question mark next to I would prefer to keep 1 more year but wanting to know people’s thoughts.

Retire
Hayes
Maister
Fisher? Think we need him for one more year
Schnieder? Not sure if it is just match fitness but seems to be a lot slower this year and more injury prone. Hate to see him go as he is a smart player

Delist
Jones
Dennis-lane
Markworth? hasn’t had a game yet, seems to be injury prone. Seems very quick and we could do with more pace
Pierce? hasn’t had a game yet. Have not seen enough of to make a comment
Siposs? Does not seem hungry enough
Dunell? not selected in enough
White? – has already taken 2 years and not played a game will he ever be good enough to play AFL. Still seems very raw
Simpkin? not selected in enough. They can’t decide where to play him
Milera? Does not seem to hold down a regular spot.

Who do we promote from rookie list?
Shenton – on this year’s form deserve it. If is not promoted we have to delist
Weller – on this year’s form deserve it
Templeton – on this year’s form deserve it
How many picks do we want in the draft?

paddy
Club Player

Re: Delisting retirements

Hayes
Maister

obv

But my extras are:
Sippa - just cant cut it, has been in the system for quite a while
TDL - Say he knows he is cooked too, his form in VFL of late seems to indicate he's thrown in the towell

Probably:
Jones - sadly

Maybe:
Simpkin
Pierce
Dunnell

Tough talks ahead for Ameet i'd say, and i'd say we will need a fair bit of movement, as Templeton and Weller are clear upgrades to the senior list, maybe Shenton too.

2c

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Like Weller & Shenton, so would promote.

Like Fisher & Schnieder, and if they're fit and healthy I'd like to keep them.

Probably time to say thank you and goodbye to Clint, he's been a loyal servant and deserves and honourable farewell. Perhaps Ross Lyon can find a home for him back in WA.

Dennis-lane & Milera have failed to cement a regular gig after a couple of years, and I dont see either of them in our long term future, probably should delist.

Neither Dunnel & Simpkin offer anything special, probably boarderline.

I'm optimistically hoping that Lee & Sippos will come good, and would love to give them another year.

Markworth, Pierce, White & Templeton are hard for me to judge, I'd rely on Pelchans judgement

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

New players from the draft 2013 Draft (I'm not including the internationals):
Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Longer, Savage, Bruce, Delaney, Templeton(r), Weller(r) - that was 9 newbies.

2014 Draft:
Let's assume the Pelican lands us another 3 top 20 picks = 3,
we secure at least 1 listed player from another club through wheeling and dealing (I reckon it'll be at least two, but lets stick with 1) = 1,
we upgrade Shenton and Minch = 2,
and I hope we rookie Ahmed = 1 - so that'd be (at least) 7 newbies in from draft 2014.

(That 7 should be 9 as Weller and Templeton deserve elevation, but we may be forced to keep them on the rookie list if we don't have the senior list spots... which while harsh on them, shouldn't matter too much as unfortunately long term injuries always occur, so they'll get their chance.)

2014 players off the list:
Lenny :cry: , Maister, Milera, TDL, Dunell and Clint Jones are certainties I would think - that's 6 off.
Tom Simpkin would be in some danger(?)
Gears to the Hillbillies? Surely no way... won't happen. He knows he'd have K to answer to. :wink:
Sam Fisher and Roberton I would (sadly) have had as near certainties till recently... so there's hope.
Sippa in trouble, but I think he's contracted for another year(?)
Monty I had as a certainty to do a BJ/Dal till his leg fracture was revealed, plus I think he's signed up for another year(?)
I was also wondering re Bull, but I think he'll be a keeper.
I think/hope Schneids can play on.
Can't believe that people would query keeping Markworth, Lew Peirce and Buddy White.
Armo to a QLD club as a 'painful trade' was looking a possibility, but now thankfully looks unlikely to me.
So that leaves as the 'painful trade' only Sam Gilbert(?)

That's still 'only' 6 definites/near definites off the list, so will be interesting to see what the club does.

Thoughts Saintsationalists...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hayes, jones, TDL, Maister, Dunell, and one other.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Delist or retire

Hayes
CJ
TDL
Maister
Dunell
Schneider
Milera
Simpkin
Siposs

Final 3 have contracts so they may only get rid of one or two of them as its not a great look and none will play AFL again if delisted

Rookie list
Minchington
Shenton maybe only

Upgrade Weller and Templeton. If they upgrade Shenton then Templeton remains a rookie.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Delist or retire

Hayes
CJ
TDL
Maister
Dunell
Schneider
Milera
Simpkin
Siposs

Final 3 have contracts so they may only get rid of one or two of them as its not a great look and none will play AFL again if delisted

Rookie list
Minchington
Shenton maybe only

Upgrade Weller and Templeton. If they upgrade Shenton then Templeton remains a rookie.
I think milera and Schnieder probably the safest of those guys. Simpkin is depth and capable but not getting games and been there for ever. Probably will put Weller up but leave the rest unless Shents needs upgrading or delisting.

Can't see TDL or Dunnell playing next year. Lenny and Maister are gone and Siposs is probably in some trouble.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Fisher would need to finish the year pretty strongly to be any chance of going on, great player, but only managing half a dozen games per year isn't going to cut it.

If he catches a cold his career is over IMO.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Markworth could be offered a rookie spot, after three years on the list without one game.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Shenton and Minchington have both been rookies for three years. This year they cant remain as rookies, they have to be promoted or let go.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Fisher would need to finish the year pretty strongly to be any chance of going on, great player, but only managing half a dozen games per year isn't going to cut it.

If he catches a cold his career is over IMO.

Agree but if he can get a good end to the year he would be an almost guaranteed spot. He has had two separate injuries so not like one chronic thing.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I can't see anymore than three of Jones, Ray, Fisher, Gwilt and Schneider being on the list next season.

FQF
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Maybe Markworth could be offered a rookie spot, after three years on the list without one game.
It isn't totally outrageous, but if he's expected to be fully fit for 2015 then we will desperately want to get AT LEAST 10 games into him, which might be difficult as a rookie.

There is no chance that Pierce or White will be delisted.

Agree with most of the others though.

Three points:

1. If Clint Jones has no intention of seeking a trade or playing elsewhere, I would feel much more comfortable if he "retired" rather than was "delisted". It is a semantic difference, but it is an enormous difference in perception. The guy has literally given every ounce of himself to the cause and although his time has come, I want him to be treated with utmost respect.

2. Is Gwilt entirely safe? No one has mentioned him, but up until last week, no one wanted him selected and most thought he was past it. If Fisher and Gilbert stay, I don't think he is required.

3. Saad, if anything, should be rookied. There isn't much room on our list as we've seen and I don't think he necessarily deserves a spot above any of our 4 rookies who might not yet be elevated.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we do pick up Saad, if nobody beats us to him, I would have him on the Senior List, as he would be playing just about every game. whereas as Markworth probably wont play that many, that is why I would rookie list him.

Saint wagga
Club Player

My two cents worth...
Retire: Hayes, Maister, Jones (or delist), Scneids (Sorry, but we've got some up and coming small forwards who need opportunity IMO)
Delist: Dunnell (saddens me to write that as I held high hopes after debut season)
TDL
Markworth - Sorry too, but bad timing with injury, there' worse fates in life and wish him all the best, just think we'd be better off trying again at the draft.
Milera (although I think he is contracted - try and trade out. Sorry Tez, if i'm picking between you scneids, curren, Saunders, Murdoch and Eil, I know who misses out every time)

Upgrade: Shenton Weller and Tenpleton (ON Eli, I know it's been said just keep him on the rookie, no rush, but I think reward him, build up his confidence...if you need reminding about how classy and sharp he is...go back and look at his first 5 games...could be a gun!!)

Bump Pierce to the Rookie list

Keep Fisher and cross everything you have that he stays injury free (Richo wants to keep experience, and if on the park, like Lenny, we are a better team full stop)

Hang in there with Sippa - he's classy, needs a good preseason, some luck with his body and will look a whole lot better in a better performing team!

* I know that doesn't account for all our list needs, but it's just my wish list ;-)

Andreous
Club Player

Retire: Hayes, Maister, Jones, Schneider
Delist: Dunnell, TDL
Trade/delist: Simpkin
Possible trades if the price is right: Siposs, Lee, Geary, Milera, Gwilt

Also think Ray is less than a year away from being out of our best side.
Markworth entitled to one more year. If he has not come up by this time next year too many would have passed him by.

Promote: Weller, Eli and Shenton

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i wouldnt elevate Eli ... first year on the rookie list and he played well in his early games til injury but we really dont have a compleate idea on if he can play consistantly yet ... another year on the rookie list is fine ...
Weller is a must upgrade
Minch and Shents im 50/50 with both are ok and not really easy delistings but both are not auto selections either ..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Markworth - Sorry too, but bad timing with injury, there' worse fates in life and wish him all the best, just think we'd be better off trying again at the draft.

Hang in there with Sippa - he's classy, needs a good preseason, some luck with his body and will look a whole lot better in a better performing team!
Markworth has another year so we can stop naming him as a de-list, at any rate I'm not sure we would upgrade on him with a late pick in the draft...

I don't think Siposs has the athleticism required for AFL footy, but he has another year to prove otherwise, fingers crossed.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Shenton seems to have good footy smarts and has a good intensity in contests, and I reckon he will develop further.. a keeper.

saint6709
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i wouldnt elevate Eli ... first year on the rookie list and he played well in his early games til injury but we really dont have a compleate idea on if he can play consistantly yet ... another year on the rookie list is fine ...
Weller is a must upgrade
Minch and Shents im 50/50 with both are ok and not really easy delistings but both are not auto selections either ..
If we are going to be any good some tough calls will need making - I think shents in trouble and probably Minch as well -with Geary, wright, Webster , Gilbert out - shents has been ok , but with Savage now playing well off half back - I think he might go

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Lenny and Beau have already retired.
I think Jones is probably gone.
TDL and Dunnell will go. Milera being contracted would be the only thing that would keep him on the list.
Markworth could be delisted (and rookied if they want to keep him).
Ray is playing for his life. Personally, I like him, and he'd be a good depth player to have on the list but it might be time to move on.
If either Fisher or Schneider get injured between now and the end of the year they would be gone if it were up to me.
I'd keep Simpkin. With Bruce now playing forward we still don't have an abundance of tall defenders.
Of the rookies, I'd upgrade Weller. Shenton would be borderline for an upgrade. Might happen if Simpkin goes.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saint6709
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Hayes, jones, TDL, Maister, Dunell, and one other.
Think your about on the money and maybe cut a rookie or 2 .......1 or 2 might get traded as well

PJ
SS Life Member

So we lose Lenny, Maister probably TDL maybe Dunnell and Jonesy.

We are going to need at least another 3. Just can't see where.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
andrewg
Club Player

robsaint wrote:We have to delist/retire 3 players. The ones I have put a question mark next to I would prefer to keep 1 more year but wanting to know people’s thoughts.

Retire
Hayes
Maister
Fisher? Think we need him for one more year
Schnieder? Not sure if it is just match fitness but seems to be a lot slower this year and more injury prone. Hate to see him go as he is a smart player

Delist
Jones
Dennis-lane
Markworth? hasn’t had a game yet, seems to be injury prone. Seems very quick and we could do with more pace
Pierce? hasn’t had a game yet. Have not seen enough of to make a comment
Siposs? Does not seem hungry enough
Dunell? not selected in enough
White? – has already taken 2 years and not played a game will he ever be good enough to play AFL. Still seems very raw
Simpkin? not selected in enough. They can’t decide where to play him
Milera? Does not seem to hold down a regular spot.

Who do we promote from rookie list?
Shenton – on this year’s form deserve it. If is not promoted we have to delist
Weller – on this year’s form deserve it
Templeton – on this year’s form deserve it
How many picks do we want in the draft?
White...! Seriously?????

andrewg
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i wouldnt elevate Eli ... first year on the rookie list and he played well in his early games til injury but we really dont have a compleate idea on if he can play consistantly yet ... another year on the rookie list is fine ...
Weller is a must upgrade
Eli will be elevated