Suns, GWS and the next 5 years...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Suns, GWS and the next 5 years...

Listening to Richo in his post game presser on the W'end...he mentioned how much talent the SUns had on their list in terms of draft picks...we all know the absolutely ridiclous amount of draft talent in the two expansions clubs. Do people think they they're lists will be wholsale raided by all other clubs and in about the next 5 yrs it will really even itself out as that talent is filtered through to other clubs...Its real new frontier kind of stuff for the AFL given those two teams have entire first rounds of draft talent and then all those 17yr old picks as well...i mean the way we are building our talent is promising mixed with senior bodies and the forecast of moving up the ladder is exciting, but are any of the up and coming melbourne teams going to be able to compete at the pointy end of the season...not even factoring in the wealth interstate and melbourne clubs...

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Re: Suns, GWS and the next 5 years...

Ofcourse, especially GWS. Unless half the players on their list want to play for less than they are worth in their peak. Don't know exact stats but how many top 10 draftees do the have, not including those they got at 16yo. They will keep a core group then get some draft picks to even out their age spread.

citywest

From 2016 to 2022 GCS and GWS will be as good if not better than Geelong were between 2007 to 2013. I know it's a big call but time will prove this correct. The scary thing is that as they 'lose' players they will be well compensated which will give them even more high draft picks which in turn will keep them at the top even longer. Overall, I can see both GCS and GWS being top 4 teams for at least 10 years in a row. Between 2016 and 2022 they will both be unstoppable. St Kilda has (hopefully), timed their rebuild to perfection. Our team will not be ready for Grand Finals again until 2022 IMHO (forget the spin of the road to 2018 or whatever they are calling it). By then I reckon the 2 expansion clubs will have at least 1 flag each if not 2 which (hopefully), may mean their hunger could be on the decline and open the door for us. 8-) Lets hope so. :lol: Bloody Demetriou in his efforts to grow the game thus ensuring his big fat bonuses he has unwittingly created 2 monsters the AFL has never seen before and may well never see again. :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:From 2016 to 2022 GCS and GWS will be as good if not better than Geelong were between 2007 to 2013. I know it's a big call but time will prove this correct. The scary thing is that as they 'lose' players they will be well compensated which will give them even more high draft picks which in turn will keep them at the top even longer. Overall, I can see both GCS and GWS being top 4 teams for at least 10 years in a row. Between 2016 and 2022 they will both be unstoppable. St Kilda has (hopefully), timed their rebuild to perfection. Our team will not be ready for Grand Finals again until 2022 IMHO (forget the spin of the road to 2018 or whatever they are calling it). By then I reckon the 2 expansion clubs will have at least 1 flag each if not 2 which (hopefully), may mean their hunger could be on the decline and open the door for us. 8-) Lets hope so. :lol: Bloody Demetriou in his efforts to grow the game thus ensuring his big fat bonuses he has unwittingly created 2 monsters the AFL has never seen before and may well never see again. :roll:

Salary cap stops what you suggest. You still have to have great recruiters and developers. Read my signature.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

With their lists its like have a full larder of ingredients. But how they put that together by how good the head coach is, what sort of game plan they implement, how well they develop the young players, how strong the club structure is from the top down, is still a big unknown. I wonder too how much money and resources they have seeing as their membership and gates are so low, and sponsors wouldn't exactly be knocking the place down. Premierships often come down to having that 1% advantage through more coaches, recruiters, recovery staff, better facilities etc. I think that's probably where we were disadvantaged which might have been the difference between a premiership and no premiership :(

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Yes they will be that dominant and no it won't even itself out.

The problem with good players wanting to leave is that these two teams will just recycle the players into more high draft picks…

They have roughly $2,000,000 more salary cap space and the lure of success will mean plenty of players will stay for slightly less.

Even the picks they have gathered by trading state league and mini-draft players is unbelievable.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Yes they will be that dominant and no it won't even itself out.

The problem with good players wanting to leave is that these two teams will just recycle the players into more high draft picks…

They have roughly $2,000,000 more salary cap space and the lure of success will mean plenty of players will stay for slightly less.

Even the picks they have gathered by trading state league and mini-draft players is unbelievable.

The SC space is stopping. And recycling players only works if you are already on top. GWS have a long way to go and even GC arent going that well. I reckon if people looked back when both sides started most would have had GC top 4 by now and they probably wont make the 8. If they keep a lot of stars they will have no depth either. They arent going to be as good as everyone thinks IMO but time will tell. At least it wont matter to us for at least another 5 more years so it maybe a good time to be on the bottom.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I too am optimistic that it won't be a decade of famine for all bar the two expansion clubs...being a successful team has so many intangibles, luck, timing, spirit, leadership...you get the point...I don't doubt they will both improve and be good teams, but dominate and share half a dozen premierships over a decade...I'm hoping and thinking not!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

How many A grade players left Brisbane when they played in 4 straight grand finals?

You can already see patches from GWS & Gold Coast that indicate they will be uneatable in a couple more years IMO.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think both the Suns and Giants lists are currently flawed, those lists will continue to evolve before they have success..

I don't believe they are monty's to win a flag in the near future.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:How many A grade players left Brisbane when they played in 4 straight grand finals?

You can already see patches from GWS & Gold Coast that indicate they will be uneatable in a couple more years IMO.

Im with BM above. I reckon the lists both have some issues. Also Brisbane had extra money in the cap and I think by the time both these sides reach the top they wont. There is nothing to be scared of in the next 5 years because we have no hope of challenging before then. After that GC and GWS will have the same SC and other sides will make it impossible for them to keep all their players. Also they will have many FA at the same time. I wouldnt be to worried.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I like to worry.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I like to worry.

I dont know how a Saints supporter could like to worry and still be alive.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:I like to worry.

I dont know how a Saints supporter could like to worry and still be alive.
Xanax and bio-dynamic yoghurt is my secret...

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:How many A grade players left Brisbane when they played in 4 straight grand finals?

A perfect generation for us to develop and take our sweet time in getting better then...

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WOW! The Suns and GWS to be as good if not better than Geelong 2007 - 2013 in two seasons time!? You're right! That's a HUGE call! The Suns don't look much without Ablett, and GWS will need to improve BIG TIME to be where Geelong were at the end of 2007. I'm not criticising the submission, simply saying its a massive call.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
noob
Club Player

If that's the case we are probably going to have to a pull a rabbit out of the hat to win a premiership. What chance do we have we have if we are peaking with them at the same time?

citywest

noob wrote:If that's the case we are probably going to have to a pull a rabbit out of the hat to win a premiership. What chance do we have we have if we are peaking with them at the same time?
We do have a chance because we won't be peaking at the same time as GCS and GWS thank God. Saints won't be in the premiership window until at least 2022 so hopefully by then the 2 expansion clubs have already won a flag each as per my above post.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
noob wrote:If that's the case we are probably going to have to a pull a rabbit out of the hat to win a premiership. What chance do we have we have if we are peaking with them at the same time?
We do have a chance because we won't be peaking at the same time as GCS and GWS thank God. Saints won't be in the premiership window until at least 2022 so hopefully by then the 2 expansion clubs have already won a flag each as per my above post.

Is that fact or not. I read your signature and I dont quite get it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Im with BM above. I reckon the lists both have some issues. Also Brisbane had extra money in the cap and I think by the time both these sides reach the top they wont. There is nothing to be scared of in the next 5 years because we have no hope of challenging before then. After that GC and GWS will have the same SC and other sides will make it impossible for them to keep all their players. Also they will have many FA at the same time. I wouldnt be to worried.
That's assuming the AFL don't change the rules for them.

That is a very BIG assumption.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's assuming the AFL don't change the rules for them.

That is a very BIG assumption.

Im happy to assume that.

citywest

Bump Postby citywest » Tue 05 Aug 2014 6:59pm
citywest wrote:From 2016 to 2022 GCS and GWS will be as good if not better than Geelong were between 2007 to 2013. I know it's a big call but time will prove this correct. The scary thing is that as they 'lose' players they will be well compensated which will give them even more high draft picks which in turn will keep them at the top even longer. Overall, I can see both GCS and GWS being top 4 teams for at least 10 years in a row. Between 2016 and 2022 they will both be unstoppable. St Kilda has (hopefully), timed their rebuild to perfection. Our team will not be ready for Grand Finals again until 2022 IMHO (forget the spin of the road to 2018 or whatever they are calling it). By then I reckon the 2 expansion clubs will have at least 1 flag each if not 2 which (hopefully), may mean their hunger could be on the decline and open the door for us. 8-) Lets hope so. :lol: Bloody Demetriou in his efforts to grow the game thus ensuring his big fat bonuses he has unwittingly created 2 monsters the AFL has never seen before and may well never see again. :roll:

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Look at me!

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Playon
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:Look at me!
Why? are you baiting?

If nobody wants to reply, dont, it'll soon get lost

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Look at me!
Why? are you baiting?

If nobody wants to reply, dont, it'll soon get lost
Kosi is not the one baiting

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.