Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Well when I worked at Telstra or Telecom back in the day I never thought of moving house either. But I did think about getting a job that was closer to home.

I don't know where Stanley, Dal and BJ live or lived, but I'd be amazed if location wasn't considered. Different people would weigh it up differently.

But if all other things were equal (which they never are) and I was coming from interstate and had to pick between the Saints and the Pies / Blues / Roos, I wouldn't be too keen on driving down to Seaford 3-4 times a week or living somewhere out in the sticks.

They all live in and around Brighton. And still do. And you may want to live Mentone rather than Stkilda especially if you have kids and that would make Seaford just as closer if not closer to other clubs. You must remember most of these guys only go out maybe once a month on the drink. They can get good coffees in mentone. My daughter is 19 and she basically lives in Stkilda on the weekends. She stays in East Bentleigh though when she could live in Port Melbourne.

Farren Ray said he has moved to Brighton to be closer to the club but would love to go back to Junction. He said he liked the facilities at Seaford but misses when he could duck out to Bay Street for coffee with the boys etc. He said Seaford is very isolated.These days there is morning then arvo sessions, rehab, individual programs etc. Running back and forward to Seaford could become a grind. If I was a player I would prefer to live and train in inner bayside.

Geelong can attract players with their surf coast lifestyle and cheap real estate, Sydney has anonymity and lifestyle, same with queensland but with cheaper housing, Melbournes' big 3 teams have the big club appeal. We need to have something to make us attractive to potential players and the ones we want to keep. Having a strong identity helps that. A middling club that dwells in the back blocks of run down suburbs probably doesn't give us a whole lot of appeal.

No disrespect to the good people of East Benteigh but if you had a bigger income Port Melbourne looks a million times better. East Bentleigh is a great value suburb but it doesn't have a lot of appeal outside it's big family sized blocks.

Why hasn't my daughter moved then? It would cost her nothing. And when did one player mean we should move back? Do you want me to quote 6 other players to prove my theory? It means nothing though. If I was a player I couldn't give a stuff where I trained as long as it wasn't more than 40 or 50 minutes from home. And I would love to know where the Hawks players duck out to. However you could be right. Its obviously effected them.

I cant believe where we train all comes down to coffee shops.
I think it comes down to lifestyle and the image we portray as a club. Even the momentum it creates. All the clubs that have gone from the bottom up have had a strong driving force making symbolic moves to show intent and gather others on the march forward. The players get caught up in the momentum too. You seem to be wanting to stand still and hope things just improve. The Hawks are trying to move because they have outgrown what they have. If you drive past the Hawks waverley base it looks high end and is surrounded by big mc mansions. It looks classy at least. Ours looks s*** and humble.

Quote your other players if you want. They probably freak that you'll post about them going against the club. Maybe you passion for Seaford makes them say what you want to hear. Your daughter obviously likes suburban life...how does that relate to the players?

I have absolutely no passion for Seaford. Wouldn't live in the suburb if you paid me. I would train there though. And it must be a big thrill with the mansions in GW not that I have seen them and I work there twice a week. lets face it the hawks issue certainly counter acts the pies issue. Where is Melbourne in all this by the way? And im not quoting any player. Its a private conversation. I hope Farrin wasn't private. We will get star players if we pay them well. By the way how is Tullamarine going compared to Seaford. I would take Seaford over that place any day of the week.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Well when I worked at Telstra or Telecom back in the day I never thought of moving house either. But I did think about getting a job that was closer to home.

I don't know where Stanley, Dal and BJ live or lived, but I'd be amazed if location wasn't considered. Different people would weigh it up differently.

But if all other things were equal (which they never are) and I was coming from interstate and had to pick between the Saints and the Pies / Blues / Roos, I wouldn't be too keen on driving down to Seaford 3-4 times a week or living somewhere out in the sticks.

They all live in and around Brighton. And still do. And you may want to live Mentone rather than Stkilda especially if you have kids and that would make Seaford just as closer if not closer to other clubs. You must remember most of these guys only go out maybe once a month on the drink. They can get good coffees in mentone. My daughter is 19 and she basically lives in Stkilda on the weekends. She stays in East Bentleigh though when she could live in Port Melbourne.

Farren Ray said he has moved to Brighton to be closer to the club but would love to go back to Junction. He said he liked the facilities at Seaford but misses when he could duck out to Bay Street for coffee with the boys etc. He said Seaford is very isolated.These days there is morning then arvo sessions, rehab, individual programs etc. Running back and forward to Seaford could become a grind. If I was a player I would prefer to live and train in inner bayside.

Geelong can attract players with their surf coast lifestyle and cheap real estate, Sydney has anonymity and lifestyle, same with queensland but with cheaper housing, Melbournes' big 3 teams have the big club appeal. We need to have something to make us attractive to potential players and the ones we want to keep. Having a strong identity helps that. A middling club that dwells in the back blocks of run down suburbs probably doesn't give us a whole lot of appeal.

No disrespect to the good people of East Benteigh but if you had a bigger income Port Melbourne looks a million times better. East Bentleigh is a great value suburb but it doesn't have a lot of appeal outside it's big family sized blocks.

Why hasn't my daughter moved then? It would cost her nothing. And when did one player mean we should move back? Do you want me to quote 6 other players to prove my theory? It means nothing though. If I was a player I couldn't give a stuff where I trained as long as it wasn't more than 40 or 50 minutes from home. And I would love to know where the Hawks players duck out to. However you could be right. Its obviously effected them.

I cant believe where we train all comes down to coffee shops.
I think it comes down to lifestyle and the image we portray as a club. Even the momentum it creates. All the clubs that have gone from the bottom up have had a strong driving force making symbolic moves to show intent and gather others on the march forward. The players get caught up in the momentum too. You seem to be wanting to stand still and hope things just improve. The Hawks are trying to move because they have outgrown what they have. If you drive past the Hawks waverley base it looks high end and is surrounded by big mc mansions. It looks classy at least. Ours looks s*** and humble.

Quote your other players if you want. They probably freak that you'll post about them going against the club. Maybe you passion for Seaford makes them say what you want to hear. Your daughter obviously likes suburban life...how does that relate to the players?

I have absolutely no passion for Seaford. Wouldn't live in the suburb if you paid me. I would train there though. And it must be a big thrill with the mansions in GW not that I have seen them and I work there twice a week. lets face it the hawks issue certainly counter acts the pies issue. Where is Melbourne in all this by the way? And im not quoting any player. Its a private conversation. I hope Farrin wasn't private. We will get star players if we pay them well. By the way how is Tullamarine going compared to Seaford. I would take Seaford over that place any day of the week.

Tulla is the least of their problems and an example of another club s*** cracking that they couldn't get what they wanted so going out to a s*** hole. Two stupid decisions don't justify each other. Moorabin is a pipe dream, it looks f$#@ed. It would cost a bomb to make it look half decent and I can't see the point playing VFL there even. I would see if we could oval share TBBO first and put that stadium money into sharing the gym facilities with cricket vic and use the oval next to junction as our training ground.

Moorabin reminds you how far AFL has come in 25 years since they ditched suburban grounds. Moorabin is set deep in behind the bowling club on South road, it looks like you are in Echuca in 1954 from there, you go down tiny little streets lined with fading cream brick 1950s AV Jennings houses and see this shabby old cold war bunker stadium with it's crumbling car park and rusting wire gates. The have planted out the whole strip of car parks that sat behind the bowls club and taken all the fences down and there is now the main stand and nothing else. It might be nostalgic but it looks so far gone it's not worth bothering with.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Tulla is the least of their problems and an example of another club s*** cracking that they couldn't get what they wanted so going out to a s*** hole. Two stupid decisions don't justify each other. Moorabin is a pipe dream, it looks f$#@ed. It would cost a bomb to make it look half decent and I can't see the point playing VFL there even. I would see if we could oval share TBBO first and put that stadium money into sharing the gym facilities with cricket vic and use the oval next to junction as our training ground.

Moorabin reminds you how far AFL has come in 25 years since they ditched suburban grounds. Moorabin is set deep in behind the bowling club on South road, it looks like you are in Echuca in 1954 from there, you go down tiny little streets lined with fading cream brick 1950s AV Jennings houses and see this shabby old cold war bunker stadium with it's crumbling car park and rusting wire gates. The have planted out the whole strip of car parks that sat behind the bowls club and taken all the fences down and there is now the main stand and nothing else. It might be nostalgic but it looks so far gone it's not worth bothering with.

You do realise the plans for Moorabbin are being drawn up next week with work to start by the end of the year so I have no idea what you mean by how bad it looks now. As for TBBO oval well the facilities there aren't that great either and worst of all the ground is far to small. As for the second paragraph well really if that is all you have then I would give up. Who cares about cream brick houses.

VFL will be played there in 2016 so it maybe hard for you to watch our seconds because of the cream brick houses.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

You do realise the plans for Moorabbin are being drawn up next week with work to start by the end of the year so I have no idea what you mean by how bad it looks now. As for TBBO oval well the facilities there aren't that great either and worst of all the ground is far to small. As for the second paragraph well really if that is all you have then I would give up. Who cares about cream brick houses.

VFL will be played there in 2016 so it maybe hard for you to watch our seconds because of the cream brick houses.
I know it's going ahead it's just a waste of money and time. I would have ditched it. It's revisionist to go back to where we should have developed the first time. We should have kept money for a final home. We now have a heap of s*** venues instead of one good one.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I know it's going ahead it's just a waste of money and time. I would have ditched it. It's revisionist to go back to where we should have developed the first time. We should have kept money for a final home. We now have a heap of s*** venues instead of one good one.

It isn't our money, its the council, the AFL and the governments and it isn't just for us. Its for your sons footy league and Sandy Dragons. Its a fantastic idea and will mean the ground is used as it should be.

avid
Club Player

There is still a lot of work going on behind the scenes to see if some combination of StKFC and cricket will work at the Junction.
It is still a distinct possibility.

The people at the "Bring the Saints Home" facebook page posted this tonight.
Hands up anyone who's interested.

Given there's a lot of questions and points of view on the notion of the saints at the junction, a few of us are thinking of organising a public information evening to allow the Saints and AFL to present their plan
Would you be interested in attending such an evening?

8bloggs
Club Player

avid wrote:There is still a lot of work going on behind the scenes to see if some combination of StKFC and cricket will work at the Junction.
It is still a distinct possibility.

The people at the "Bring the Saints Home" facebook page posted this tonight.
Hands up anyone who's interested.

Given there's a lot of questions and points of view on the notion of the saints at the junction, a few of us are thinking of organising a public information evening to allow the Saints and AFL to present their plan
Would you be interested in attending such an evening?
I'm interested...

loris
Saintsational Legend

I think you'll find those houses around Moorabbin and surrounding 'burbs are only brick veneer ................... you need to go into the suburb of St Kilda to find brick houses!!!!!!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Good club initiative 'avid' !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

St Kilda Festival is on again, with the main day being this Sunday. Glorious sunny day forcast, and 500,000+ punters are once again tipped to rock-up to rock-out to a varied array of 60-odd bands, and to just soak-up that unique St Kilda vibe. None of the vanilla teams can boast anything remotely comparable.

And I'm sure that many of those 500,000+ punters will find there way to our Linton Street social club, and probably quite a few will then also kick-on to Seaford party-town... surely...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Even P66 (front and centre, and hey, nice sunnies P66 8-) ) wouldn't miss this.

Now what possible benefit could there be, for an AFL club to be linked in people's (and sponsor's) minds with these kinda' images, and the wonderful and vibrant times (and memories) that they conjure up...?

When is the Effndope Music Festival...?
When is the Skid Marks Music Festival...? :lol:

And what about that backdrop to it all....? Which if the vanilla teams can boast anything like that...?

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Yeah, yeah, all of us who live in Kingston got the Public Relations spin about the upgrading of Moorabbin. It's a joke for our club - why didn't this happen BEFORE we moved to Seaford - where we got a state -of-the-art gymnasium and a playing surface with the same dimensions as the MCG.
Moorabbin does look like it has been stuck in a time warp and has zero out of ten for aesthetics these days. We will play second fiddle there to Auskick sessions by the sound of it.
People on this site can't have it both ways - Geelong has affordable housing and the surf coast - the Mornington Peninsula has both of these things in spades. I respect people's rights for an opinion but the club have majorly miscalculated the entire affair of where to set up our training base. Haste makes waste and this has been the outcome - a white elephant against a freeway, and a slum in a forgotten moribund suburb in an industrial estate. Well, talk about spoilt for choice!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:Image
Even P66 (front and centre, and hey, nice sunnies P66 8-) ) wouldn't miss this.

Now what possible benefit could there be, for an AFL club to be linked in people's (and sponsor's) minds with these kinda' images, and the wonderful and vibrant times (and memories) that they conjure up...?

When is the Effndope Music Festival...?
When is the Skid Marks Music Festival...? :lol:

And what about that backdrop to it all....? Which if the vanilla teams can boast anything like that...?
Great post!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Terrific post heidelberg!

Meanwhile back at Carrum Downs

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Yeah, yeah, all of us who live in Kingston got the Public Relations spin about the upgrading of Moorabbin. It's a joke for our club - why didn't this happen BEFORE we moved to Seaford - where we got a state -of-the-art gymnasium and a playing surface with the same dimensions as the MCG.
Moorabbin does look like it has been stuck in a time warp and has zero out of ten for aesthetics these days. We will play second fiddle there to Auskick sessions by the sound of it.
People on this site can't have it both ways - Geelong has affordable housing and the surf coast - the Mornington Peninsula has both of these things in spades. I respect people's rights for an opinion but the club have majorly miscalculated the entire affair of where to set up our training base. Haste makes waste and this has been the outcome - a white elephant against a freeway, and a slum in a forgotten moribund suburb in an industrial estate. Well, talk about spoilt for choice!
Have to agree. If we were going to go the Peninsula life-style choice then we should have done it properly and gone for the Frankston Oval or even something picturesque above the beach at Mt Eliza or something. Made it something special. Seaford/Carrum Downs is a nothing choice. Its not really peninsula and its not really our heartland. Just an in-between non-solution. Just on the way from A to B or B to A. Lets be honest - It isnt even in Seaford.

The only real step-change would be the JO. And whether it is the actual JO proper or Ian Johnson I really don't think it matters as long as the facilities are good and there is space for community, sponsor and fan events.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Terrific post heidelberg!

Meanwhile back at Carrum Downs

waiting for a mate
:D

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The magnificent 7 (leadership group) looked splendid walking down the middle of Acland St. today.

PS I moved a few posts to the animal enclosure and issued warnings to those who took this off topic to bait and abuse.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy strikes again... :D
Bluthy wrote:I give props to the new Pres. It all starts at the top. Ever since he's come in we have had a sense of direction, creativity, proactiveness and reaching out to members. A smart person put smart people in under him and so on until the club is filled with smart people all pulling together.

In some ways though the club has been forced to go down this road and is playing catchup to the new AFL paradigm. Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, Port Adelaide realised long ago that a strong club is based on actively engaging members and rolling out the red carpet to them and becoming thoroughly professional in marketing and promotion. There is so much competition for sport lovers dollars - soccer is getting bigger and bigger, tennis, the Storm, overseas sports available on demand . You've got to aggressively compete for their dollars especially when the cost of living keeps going up. Kids can see so many teams on tv and internet now that the automatic buy in to their parents team often doesn't happen. And with young generations ADHD you've got to keep things happening - events, announcements, emails, tweets, trotting out players.

I do love the brand we are developing - St Kilda by the sea - fresh, invigorating, sexy, young, confident, future orientated. So much of the marketing material is white with splashes of red and black and feels really light and fresh and makes you want to be involved with the club and appeals to young folk. So much better than the staid, battler image that has haunted us.

ST Kilda is the coolest, weirdest, bohemian, exciting, creative, dynamic suburb in Melbourne and we are just now really using that as a base for marketing. We're finding an image that sells in this media driven era and its damn exciting for our future.

Its so clever how they turned a negative - bottom of the ladder - into a selling point - future fest, get to know the kids etc. There is a generation of youngsters who only know St Kilda as a dominant successful club and envision them rising again soon. They are the ones we need to keep wooing. Its easy making a club sexy when you are at the top and winning. What I give big props to the marketing and promotion and the club hierarchy is making this club sexy despite the difficult circumstances out on the field. Its bodes really well for when we start to rise.

What better post to bump this thread with... 8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:I think you'll find those houses around Moorabbin and surrounding 'burbs are only brick veneer ................... you need to go into the suburb of St Kilda to find brick houses!!!!!!
we had a solid brick home when i was growing up...in ashburton...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergsone
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
loris wrote:I think you'll find those houses around Moorabbin and surrounding 'burbs are only brick veneer ................... you need to go into the suburb of St Kilda to find brick houses!!!!!!
See only rich people lived in Ashburton,down in Jordy we couldn't afford brick houses...lol

loris
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:
stinger wrote:
See only rich people lived in Ashburton,down in Jordy we couldn't afford brick houses...lol
Yeah only concrete ones in Jordy eh 'bergsone'? Though a tad, bit better than the Nissan Huts one stop down the railwayline at Holmesglen. :wink: :wink:

Aaaaah yes stinger, plenty of brick houses in Ashie and Glen Iris and East Malvern................. they were good (classy) old outer suburbs in them there days.

It was all the housing development that started post WW2 and in the 1960's from the boundaries of North Road, down Jasper Road, into Nepean Highway, Centre Dandenong Road back up Warrigal Road to North Road...................... that the proliferation of the cheaper brick veneer houses mushroomed in the SE corridor. Think I have my boundaries connecting up there. I can visualise the area, just may be a bit woolly on my street names. After all we are going back 60 odd years :shock:

Brick houses (the good old Hawthorn brick) were plentiful close to stations along the railway line (Caulfied- Frankston or Caulfield- Dandenong lines) in the SE also plenty of the more down market lovely timber workers cottages were close to the railway lines.. However if you got a kilometre or two away from the railway line, cream brick veneers were multiplying everywhere. It was an era when home ownership was becoming affordable for the working classes, but they couldn't quite afford to build in brick................ most bought the 'spec homes' that were sprouting up every where.

I can recall going to those areas, when a lot of it was market gardens, we would pedal our bikes there and ride horses in the paddocks horses most week ends. Alas, it eventually became 'a suburban wasteland' as Robin/ Robyn Boyd the architect called it. Get some of his books folks to read up on how that area developed. The Aussie brick veener home kicked of there first before it spread to the northern and western corridors of suburban Melbourne.

I bet very few of those lovely timber homes remain in those areas. I know there were a lot around Cheltenham at one stage, most were bulldozed down replaced by characterless (IMHO) triple fronted brick veneer.

Stinger, the best brick building in Ashburton for me was the wonderful old Civic picture theatre there in High Street or was it High Street Road. For some strange reason High Street became High Street Road :? I have memories of being groped by pimply lads at Saturday arvo matinees. :oops: :oops: :shock: :oops:

I can recall one lad whose name was 'Ckicken' Fowler............. how original eh? Nice lad, he even paid my entrance money to see the film. :P I was a bit smitten on Chickie, so I wanted to impress him. At that stage, I didn't have any boobs at all. Most of my female friends were starting to develop a little, but sadly not Loris. :( So I borrowed a pair of bras from my elder sister and filled them out with cotton wool balls. Gee I must have looked like Dolly Parton ('tho this was years before she was a pop star). And I even put some lipstick on!! Eventually dear Chickie Fowler went the grope on me in the darkness of the theatre, and got a hanfull of cotton wool balls :shock: :? :shock: :shock: :?

Many years later I was standing at Flinders St station waiting for my train and I saw Chickie Fowler walk or should I say 'mince' by. He was as camp as the proverbial row of army tents...................... and I wondered if the shock he got when he went the grope on me turned him off females for life :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I bet 'Chickie' Fowler came from a brick home :wink: :wink: :wink:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:
stinger wrote:
I thought the only people who lived in Jordy were the Jordy Sharps. Used to hate going through there on the train for fear they would get on in my carriage. Them and the Holmesglen Skinheads. It was a slightly edgy ride between Mt.Waverley and East Malvern.

loris
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
bergsone wrote:
stinger wrote:
I thought the only people who lived in Jordy were the Jordy Sharps. Used to hate going through there on the train for fear they would get on in my carriage. Them and the Holmesglen Skinheads. It was a slightly edgy ride between Mt.Waverley and East Malvern.
And for years it was only a single line from East Malvern onwards. So you couldn't get off the train quickly at the next station and hike it across to the other platform to get away from them if they were after you.................... very scary times!!!!!!

Between Holmesglen and Jordanville stations there was a rather high cutting the train used to go through before it got into Jordanville station.

We were very naughty kids, the gang I mixed with :shock: In summertime, when it was peak evening trains, the trains would be very crowded.
Unlike today the doors and windows remained open. No such thing as air con on trains, or close doors and windows for safety. So these trains would be crammed full with office workers in their white shirts, hanging out the doors with the windows completely open to get a bit of air in the overcrowded trains. The little gang I belonged to would sit up on the top of this cutting and pelt the passengers with eggs and tomatoes. :shock: :shock:

We used real guerrilla tactics.......... hit randomly. Ah the element of surprise............... plodders never caught us, tho one of our gang who lived close to this railway cutting, used to watch from his bedroom window and see the 'paddy wagon' regularly patrolling that area of an evening.

A couple of us went on to play representative cricket for our state and were known for our good arms in the outfield. Must have been those years of honing our skills on moving targets!!!!!!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: And for years it was only a single line from East Malvern onwards. So you couldn't get off the train quickly at the next station and hike it across to the other platform to get away from them if they were after you.................... very scary times!!!!!!

Between Holmesglen and Jordanville stations there was a rather high cutting the train used to go through before it got into Jordanville station.

We were very naughty kids, the gang I mixed with :shock: In summertime, when it was peak evening trains, the trains would be very crowded.
Unlike today the doors and windows remained open. No such thing as air con on trains, or close doors and windows for safety. So these trains would be crammed full with office workers in their white shirts, hanging out the doors with the windows completely open to get a bit of air in the overcrowded trains. The little gang I belonged to would sit up on the top of this cutting and pelt the passengers with eggs and tomatoes. :shock: :shock:

We used real guerrilla tactics.......... hit randomly. Ah the element of surprise............... plodders never caught us, tho one of our gang who lived close to this railway cutting, used to watch from his bedroom window and see the 'paddy wagon' regularly patrolling that area of an evening.

A couple of us went on to play representative cricket for our state and were known for our good arms in the outfield. Must have been those years of honing our skills on moving targets!!!!!!
Loris, who'd have thought you were a ratbag?

From memory, and it's a little distant, the Jordy Sharps used to sit at the exit to the tunnel under the tracks. So anyone getting off there had to run the gauntlet past them, like it or not. I was replete with skivvies or a Miller shirt and a lumber jacket so I would have been easy meat for them. I also had the misfortune, at 13 or 14 y.o, to be in a carriage where the Holmesglen Skins beat the living crap out of a guy all the way from Richmond to East Malvern, where he escaped. It was a crowded old blue carriage with double doors and no-one lifted a finger against them. Everyone was terrified.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
bergsone wrote:
stinger wrote:
Yeah only concrete ones in Jordy eh 'bergsone'? Though a tad, bit better than the Nissan Huts one stop down the railwayline at Holmesglen. :wink: :wink:

Aaaaah yes stinger, plenty of brick houses in Ashie and Glen Iris and East Malvern................. they were good (classy) old outer suburbs in them there days.

It was all the housing development that started post WW2 and in the 1960's from the boundaries of North Road, down Jasper Road, into Nepean Highway, Centre Dandenong Road back up Warrigal Road to North Road...................... that the proliferation of the cheaper brick veneer houses mushroomed in the SE corridor. Think I have my boundaries connecting up there. I can visualise the area, just may be a bit woolly on my street names. After all we are going back 60 odd years :shock:

Brick houses (the good old Hawthorn brick) were plentiful close to stations along the railway line (Caulfied- Frankston or Caulfield- Dandenong lines) in the SE also plenty of the more down market lovely timber workers cottages were close to the railway lines.. However if you got a kilometre or two away from the railway line, cream brick veneers were multiplying everywhere. It was an era when home ownership was becoming affordable for the working classes, but they couldn't quite afford to build in brick................ most bought the 'spec homes' that were sprouting up every where.

I can recall going to those areas, when a lot of it was market gardens, we would pedal our bikes there and ride horses in the paddocks horses most week ends. Alas, it eventually became 'a suburban wasteland' as Robin/ Robyn Boyd the architect called it. Get some of his books folks to read up on how that area developed. The Aussie brick veener home kicked of there first before it spread to the northern and western corridors of suburban Melbourne.

I bet very few of those lovely timber homes remain in those areas. I know there were a lot around Cheltenham at one stage, most were bulldozed down replaced by characterless (IMHO) triple fronted brick veneer.

Stinger, the best brick building in Ashburton for me was the wonderful old Civic picture theatre there in High Street or was it High Street Road. For some strange reason High Street became High Street Road :? I have memories of being groped by pimply lads at Saturday arvo matinees. :oops: :oops: :shock: :oops:

I can recall one lad whose name was 'Ckicken' Fowler............. how original eh? Nice lad, he even paid my entrance money to see the film. :P I was a bit smitten on Chickie, so I wanted to impress him. At that stage, I didn't have any boobs at all. Most of my female friends were starting to develop a little, but sadly not Loris. :( So I borrowed a pair of bras from my elder sister and filled them out with cotton wool balls. Gee I must have looked like Dolly Parton ('tho this was years before she was a pop star). And I even put some lipstick on!! Eventually dear Chickie Fowler went the grope on me in the darkness of the theatre, and got a hanfull of cotton wool balls :shock: :? :shock: :shock: :?

Many years later I was standing at Flinders St station waiting for my train and I saw Chickie Fowler walk or should I say 'mince' by. He was as camp as the proverbial row of army tents...................... and I wondered if the shock he got when he went the grope on me turned him off females for life :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I bet 'Chickie' Fowler came from a brick home :wink: :wink: :wink:
i actually lived in high street...near st michaels.....high street branced just before warrigal road...the bit on the right heading to jordanville was called high street road....the old civic theatre was at the glen iris end of the shopping strip...i used to sell the old pink melbourne glode outside the theatre on saturday nights....

my dear old mum grew up in glen iris.....went to st rocks church....when she was a girl the used to picnic at the weekends in the ashburton forest.....used to be a market garden too...our soil was as black as tar.....used to play footy with a few mates who went to jordy tech.......as did billy barret......had a few girlfriends down that way too....only groping i did though was at a theatre in campbewell......got my first kiss there......sink the bismark was the name of the film........had to see it again years later to see what it was about.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.