Dunstan - Rising Star

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aaron82
Club Player

Dunstan - Rising Star

With the winner of the NAB rising star announced tomorrow I find it staggering that Dunstan will almost certainly not finish in the top 5 players. I could potentially see him not attracting a vote!

On nearly every statistical measure he trumps all comers. He kicked 9 goals in a rubbish side. People are mounting the case that he didn't play enough games but he played the same as Bontempelli who is very likely to win the award. I don't have a problem with any of the favourites winning the award but Dunstan being $34 is ridiculous.

If he was playing in a winning side, or on Channel 7 every second week I'd imagine he'd be a lot more of a chance to attract some deserved attention.

and that's the bottom line
noob
Club Player

Re: Dunstan - Rising Star

I think the club would be satisfied with the output Luke has produced this year. If we or the club know how good he can be, then does it really matter.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he was a bit too quiet in the second half of the season, but it's worth checking the stats:

1st in Disposals Per Game:
Dunstan 18.8, Hrovat 17.8, Aish 17.6, Kelly 17.3, McDonald 17.2

2nd in Tackles Per Game:
Merrett 3.9, Dunstan 3.8, Aish 3.7, Bontempelli 3.4, Crouch 3.2

1st in Clearances:
Dunstan 3.0, Bontempelli 2.2, Aish 2.0, Crouch 1.9, Hrovat 1.7

1st in Contested Possessions Per Game:
Dunstan 7.6, Bontempelli 7.5, Hrovat 7.5, AIsh 6.2, Stringer 6.2

5th in Uncontested Possessions Per Game:
Kolodjashnij 12.1, McDonald 12.0, Taylor 11.8, Aish 11.5, Dunstan 11.4

7th in Inside 50s:
Bontempelli 4.2, Billings 2.9, Merrett 2.8, Kelly 2.3, Taylor 2.3, Aish 2.3, Dunstan 2.2

12th in Total Goals; but 5th of pure mids:
Kelly 13, Taylor 12, Merrett 11, Martin 10, Dunstan 9

13th of Total Goal Assists; but 6th of pure mids:
Kelly 9, Merrett 8, Taylor 7, Aish 6, McDonald 6, Dunstan 5

Just on the stats it looks like there are a bunch of players in contention. Bontempelli, Aish, Kelly, Taylor. Obviously Dunstan's done a fantastic job as a pure inside mid to be able to contribute so much to the team at 19 years old. But others in this list are more flashy than him so I don't expect him to be in the running.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:I think the club would be satisfied with the output Luke has produced this year. If we or the club know how good he can be, then does it really matter.
Agree, I actually prefer our young guys to be under-rated.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Pretty bloody even year. 5 or 6 blokes could win it. Terrific draft year.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Having at least 3 concussions in your first year is a worry in terms of longevity in the sport.

aaron82
Club Player

I'm not saying he should win it, but he should at least receive votes and I'm of the belief he won't.
If he played for Collingwood, Eddie and the supporters would be crapping on how great he is ad nauseum.

Our players generally don't receive a lot of external recognition. Harves, Roo are two that hardly rate a mention when greats for their positions come up. Buckley, Hird, Judd etc are generally regarded as superior. Most people externally rate Brown, Richo, Pav as better than Roo.

We accept lack of player recognition a little too easy in my view

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Take it with a grain of salt

But AFL has released ratings on RS Nominees. Probably a resaonable indicator of how the voting will go.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-02/a ... ising-star

Based on Bergholt's stats you would think Dunstan should/would get a top 3 finish - Im not sure how the voting works (do they vote each week?)- but recent performances will be fresher in the memory.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 03 Sep 2014 12:55am, edited 1 time in total.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

A shame he didn't play the last month. I got him at $35 in the preseason

Bring back the Lockett era
Munga
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote:With the winner of the NAB rising star announced tomorrow I find it staggering that Dunstan will almost certainly not finish in the top 5 players. I could potentially see him not attracting a vote!

On nearly every statistical measure he trumps all comers. He kicked 9 goals in a rubbish side. People are mounting the case that he didn't play enough games but he played the same as Bontempelli who is very likely to win the award. I don't have a problem with any of the favourites winning the award but Dunstan being $34 is ridiculous.

If he was playing in a winning side, or on Channel 7 every second week I'd imagine he'd be a lot more of a chance to attract some deserved attention.
Agree. And what all these "experts" don't take in to consideration is "minutes played". The last time I looked, Dunstan had played about 10% less game time than the other nominees. And yet he still pantsed them in the stats.

End of the day I don't give a sh!t about the "experts" opinions anymore. I just feel sorry for the players who miss out on any financial reward or recognition they deserve when it's in the hands of morons.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:
aaron82 wrote:With the winner of the NAB rising star announced tomorrow I find it staggering that Dunstan will almost certainly not finish in the top 5 players. I could potentially see him not attracting a vote!

Agree. And what all these "experts" don't take in to consideration is "minutes played". The last time I looked, Dunstan had played about 10% less game time than the other nominees. And yet he still pantsed them in the stats.

End of the day I don't give a sh!t about the "experts" opinions anymore. I just feel sorry for the players who miss out on any financial reward or recognition they deserve when it's in the hands of morons.

I reckon those morons see more games than just about anyone on here and have more stats than we can look up. And how many of those morons have got the voting wrong over the years? Also there is no indication that bottom sides or sides not on channel 7 have less hope of a player winning the rising star than any other player. Maybe just maybe we have a little bias sometime. By the way if the morons didnt vote for it how would you suggest it is done?

aaron82
Club Player

Some valid points Plugger, maybe myself and others are showing a little bias.
I very doubt he will get any votes which I find staggering. The way it is judged is probably the correct way with a 5-1 vote nomination from an enormous selection panel.
In saying that Riccuito always votes for SA players so Dunstan might get something there. Tipping Matt Crouch a good chance to get votes from him!

saintbob
SS Life Member

He's been named in the top 5 this morning, so we'd have to be more than happy with that!!

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

He's had a massive rookie season and definatly deserves to be top 5 in the Rising Star and It'd be fantastic if he won it

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Munga
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Munga wrote:

I reckon those morons see more games than just about anyone on here and have more stats than we can look up. And how many of those morons have got the voting wrong over the years? Also there is no indication that bottom sides or sides not on channel 7 have less hope of a player winning the rising star than any other player. Maybe just maybe we have a little bias sometime. By the way if the morons didnt vote for it how would you suggest it is done?
I'm not saying they're ALL morons or the system is wrong. Over the years I've seen enough awards given to people who deserve it much less than others.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SideshowMilne
Club Player

Our man at the top Gil, couldn't find a vote for the Duntrain. I am disappoint Gil!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Lewis Taylor from Brisbane won, ahead of Bontimpelli from WB

You are garbage - Enough said
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Lewis Taylor from Brisbane won, ahead of Bontimpelli from WB
6th. Great effort for a bloke who didn't play at the end of the year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-03/i ... a-thriller

Always loyal
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

It would be interesting to see if the AFL actually have a formula to judge this award? It seems that it is totally a personal opinion thing based this year on the number of games played etc...

Dunstan 5 votes = deserving of a much higher vote tally.
Billings 0 votes = with ten people all drafted after him polling votes.

Lets hope Billings Rising Star results wont be indicative of his career against his fellow draftees?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

FINAL LEADERBOARD:

39 — Lewis Taylor (Brisbane Lions)

38 — Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)

32 — Luke McDonald (North Melbourne)

19 — James Aish (Brisbane Lions)

7 — Kade Kolodjashnij (Gold Coast)

5 — Luke Dunstan (St Kilda)

5 — Tom Langdon (Collingwood)

3 — Harry Cunningham (Sydney)

1 — Josh Kelly (GWS), Jarman Impey (PA)

KEVIN BARTLETT

5 — Luke McDonald

4 — Lewis Taylor

3 — Marcus Bontempelli

2 — James Aish

1 — Luke Dunstan

LUKE DARCY

5 — Marcus Bontempelli

4 — Luke McDonald

3 — Lewis Taylor

2 — Kade Kolodjashnij

1 — James Aish

MARK EVANS

5 — Lewis Taylor

4 — Marcus Bontempelli

3 — James Aish

2 — Luke Dunstan

1 — Harry Cunningham

DANNY FRAWLEY

5 — Lewis Taylor

4 — Marcus Bontempelli

3 — Luke McDonald

2 — Kade Kolodjashnij

1 — Harry Cunningham

GLEN JAKOVICH

5 — Lewis Taylor

4 — James Aish

3 — Marcus Bontempelli

2 — Luke McDonald

1 — Luke Dunstan

CAMERON LING

5 — James Aish

4 — Luke McDonald

3 — Tom Langdon

2 — Marcus Bontempelli

1 — Luke Dunstan

GILLON MCLACHLAN

5 — Lewis Taylor

4 — Marcus Bontempelli

3 — Luke McDonald

2 — James Aish

1 — Harry Cunningham

MATTHEW RICHARDSON

5 — Lewis Taylor

4 — Marcus Bontempelli

3 — Luke McDonald

2 — James Aish

1 — Josh Kelly

KEVIN SHEEHAN

5 — Marcus Bontempelli

4 — Lewis Taylor

3 — Luke McDonald

2 — Tom Langdon

1 — Kade Kolodjashnij

WARREN TREDREA

5 — Luke McDonald

4 — Marcus Bontempelli

3 — Lewis Taylor

2 — Kade Kolodjashnij

1 — Jarman Impey

You are garbage - Enough said
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Billings 0 votes = with ten people all drafted after him polling votes.

Lets hope Billings Rising Star results wont be indicative of his career against his fellow draftees?
I think his Rising Star results are indicative of how well he went in his first season. Unless you think Rhys Palmer is a better player than Kieran Jack or Trent Cotchin.