Young Saints on cusp of signing new deals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Young Saints on cusp of signing new deals

TWO OF ST Kilda's brightest young stars in Jack Billings and Luke Dunstan have confirmed they're on the cusp of signing multi-year contract extensions with the club.

And, it's believed Blake Acres is in the same boat while Eli Templeton is expected to be upgraded to the primary list for next season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-03/s ... -new-deals

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: Young Saints on cusp of signing new deals

All good news. I could live without the questions to Luke about the "go home" factor, but I guess we're stuck with that.

There us also a mention at the bottom about the club working to extend Josh Saunders contract.

Hopefully we really are building the core.

Always loyal
FQF
SS Life Member

Happy with longer deals to build mutual loyalty and create stability and certainty amongst the playing group.

Saint wagga
Club Player

This is great news!! This was mentiond a little while ago by a poster on here and their mail looks to have been spot on!! Looks like this answers the questions as to weather Templeton should be upgraded or not. No mention of Weller, has he already signed during the year for 2015 or did i miss that?

andrewg
Club Player

Lock Luke away for 5 years.
Will captain our club after Rooey Retires in 2017

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

It has been intimated the saints will announce re-signings at the rate of approx 1 per day between now and end of sept.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint3d
Club Player

From http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-06/e ... ht-for-roo

Meanwhile, the Saints will embark on a "historic campaign" from Monday where they will announce about 10 contract extensions of young players.

It is believed recently drafted trio Jack Billings, Luke Dunstan and Blake Acres are among those in the process of recommitting, along with Jack Newnes and Josh Saunders.

Saints CEO Matt Finnis said the campaign, which is expected to reveal one recommitted player each day starting next week, celebrated the commitment of the club's new generation.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Rookies Eli Templeton and Darren Minchington are expected to be offered senior contracts

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Good news. Real good news.
I love those 4 players. Really have high hopes for all of them.

I still reckon the go home factor is massively over stated. Each club have about a dozen interstate players on their list. At least (swans have about 40).

99% of them stay. Make a good club and they stay. I mean Lenny and Roo - two recent club legends both aren't from Melbourme for example.

And Luke Dunstan is from Clare anyway - 2 hours from Adelaide. No more go home factor for him than Sam Fisher (or Rhys) ever had.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Don't get the whole one announcement per day thing personally. Think it's a bit of a dumb way to string out what saints fans want to know and put to bed rumours surrounding our list! IMO

SideshowMilne
Club Player

'The streak' part deux 'Sign on and on and on'
DVD pre orders accepted now
1800 gosaints

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Don't get the whole one announcement per day thing personally. Think it's a bit of a dumb way to string out what saints fans want to know and put to bed rumours surrounding our list! IMO
I guess they would love to see a saints article in the paper every day for a couple of weeks, which would be a good achievement for a club not playing finals. Great PR to keep our name up there while we are in a pretty grim place, build the excitement of the next generation!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Don't get the whole one announcement per day thing personally. Think it's a bit of a dumb way to string out what saints fans want to know and put to bed rumours surrounding our list! IMO
I guess they would love to see a saints article in the paper every day for a couple of weeks, which would be a good achievement for a club not playing finals. Great PR to keep our name up there while we are in a pretty grim place, build the excitement of the next generation!

exactly-- and even if the suggested 10 are ones we all assume or know already -- it keeps members and media interested...

Pies can do it about the sorry future http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... deoz.html- been there done that.....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Saint wagga
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Is Cameron Shenton getting upgraded off the rookie list and offered a new 2yr deal really going to make the paper? Or josh Saunders getting a contract extension?? I see your point though Dragit, I just don't think it's all going to be newsworthy, some things will only be exciting in the context of knowing and following the club fairly closely. The average joe punter couldn't give two hoots about the cellar dweller during a finals series.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
dragit wrote:
Is Cameron Shenton getting upgraded off the rookie list and offered a new 2yr deal really going to make the paper? Or josh Saunders getting a contract extension?? I see your point though Dragit, I just don't think it's all going to be newsworthy, some things will only be exciting in the context of knowing and following the club fairly closely. The average joe punter couldn't give two hoots about the cellar dweller during a finals series.
Here's shents :D
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 0djst.html

They could be trying to just build hype amongst the st Kilda faithful, build a little excitement...

It could also be a complete waste of time, but nothing lost in the end I guess.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

article ( and media) will need to keep up with who is in and who is nearly and who is extending
a little correction on "No announcement has been made on the futures of youngsters Brodie Murdoch, Josh Saunders, Lewis Pierce and Daniel Markworth, while a decision must be made on third-year rookie Darren Minchington."

markworth as he stated on radio today - has already signed an extension

some of the '10' will be extensions... taking many to 2016

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
dragit wrote:

yes made the papers

also in The Age today

http://www.northweststar.com.au/story/2 ... ons/?cs=12

Saint wagga
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:
dragit wrote:
Here's shents :D
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 0djst.html

They could be trying to just build hype amongst the st Kilda faithful, build a little excitement...

It could also be a complete waste of time, but nothing lost in the end I guess.
HaHa...That made me laugh him being first cab off the rank after I used him as an example :-)) ...I didn't mean to use Shenton's name because I don't rate him...I think it's on the record on various threads that i'm a big fan, just didn't think the wider footy public would find it that newsworthy, but I stand corrected :-)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

shents just signed for two and is now on senior list

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Luke Dunstan on SEN this morning.

https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/morning- ... ke-dunstan

"Obviously initially it sucked moving away from home, but they've given me 7 now, I can't go home!"

Ed. Sorry, just saw bratty posted elsewhere.

Always loyal
matrix
Saintsational Legend

LOL
for 2 secs i thought theyd given him 7 years!

then it clicked :lol:

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

SemperFidelis wrote:Luke Dunstan on SEN this morning.

"Obviously initially it sucked moving away from home, but they've given me 7 now, I can't go home!"

heard that and had a laugh.

You are garbage - Enough said
FQF
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Didn't seem to matter for Cripps.

Saints94
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

One is a hard contested ball freak & the other an outside, cherry picker soft player IMO. I'd think I know which one is stronger mentally, judging from afar.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
FQF wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

One is a hard contested ball freak & the other an outside, cherry picker soft player IMO. I'd think I know which one is stronger mentally, judging from afar.

Also one loved his family and girlfriend and even though he loved footy he wanted to go home. Shoot him. Its funny but we got Hickey for similar reasons and that doesnt seem to be an issue.