St Kilda to chase Kristian Jaksch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

St Kilda to chase Kristian Jaksch

"ST KILDA has joined the race for Greater Western Sydney player Kristian Jaksch ... The 196cm marking target met the Saints last week but will have as many as six ..."

Article from the Herald Sun over the weekend...

What are people thoughts, do we rate him? no 12 draft pick. Looks like there will be stiff competition from other interested clubs and will be a good test of our current pecking order in terms of ability to attract young talent form other clubs...We hold the ace card with No 1 picks in the draft and no 1 in PSD, so if the selection committee rate him high enough to give him a massive offer, he could nominate us!! Exciting times...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda to chase Kristian Jaksch

Does not gett many games with GWS. Not worth a "massive offer". Worth chasing though. With a sensible offer.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

I'm sure the club will have done a lot of work on him but he was really poor in the few games he has managed.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Would like to see us play hard ball and walk him out the PSD door if they don't take a second or third round pick

Nee!
FQF
SS Life Member

Is he any good?

damienc
Club Player

FQF wrote:Is he any good?
He is still young and has massive potential. That is the upside. He can also play forward and back but I think his natural position is on the Forward line. He's also tall and can take a mark.

He has struggled to get game time at GWS simply because there are a lot of guys similar to him who they prefer in the positions where Jaksch would normally find himself.So they play him down back mainly as a tall defender/spoiler.

What we can offer him is regular game time as a KPP. Judging by his showreel from a couple of years ago he definitely looked the goods. I think if he came to the Saints he would get his opportunity and maybe that is all he needs to shine.

I would love to get him, Jono O'Rourke and Tom Mitchell. But I am probably dreaming.

FQF
SS Life Member

damienc wrote:
He is still young and has massive potential. That is the upside. He can also play forward and back but I think his natural position is on the Forward line. He's also tall and can take a mark.

He has struggled to get game time at GWS simply because there are a lot of guys similar to him who they prefer in the positions where Jaksch would normally find himself.So they play him down back mainly as a tall defender/spoiler.

What we can offer him is regular game time as a KPP. Judging by his showreel from a couple of years ago he definitely looked the goods. I think if he came to the Saints he would get his opportunity and maybe that is all he needs to shine.

I would love to get him, Jono O'Rourke and Tom Mitchell. But I am probably dreaming.
Do you think that by playing him out of position and in a rather mediocre seconds league for 2 years has stymied his development? You get the sense that GWS are really winging it with no long term plans for individual players.

damienc
Club Player

FQF wrote:
damienc wrote:

Do you think that by playing him out of position and in a rather mediocre seconds league for 2 years has stymied his development? You get the sense that GWS are really winging it with no long term plans for individual players.
I hope not. He is only 19 so still developing I would have thought. I think if he came to the Saints and was handled the right way he could really do the business. He is tall and has great hands. I personally think he should be encouraged to back himself to take the mark rather than go for the spoil. He can play as a defender but I would love to see what he could do as a forward for the Saints if we get him. But our need is for big, tall defenders so maybe that's what Richo and Pelchen have in mind in recruiting him. I think we are defintely a contender to get him.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Been training as a defender at GWS

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
St Igmata
Club Player

Kid is pretty much a done deal but not to Stkilda.
Will go through the motions with meetings before announcing his preferred club . He already knows where he's going.
No chance for a PSD walk.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:Kid is pretty much a done deal but not to Stkilda.
Will go through the motions with meetings before announcing his preferred club . He already knows where he's going.

Sounds like you have solid info?

Saves me the time watching the youtube video at least. I wont bother now.

FQF
SS Life Member

St Igmata wrote:Kid is pretty much a done deal but not to Stkilda.
Carlton?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was fantastic as a swingman and looked like he'd be a high pick. He's probably still a few years off his best footy but well worth developing. I could see him being like carlisle where he could do most KP roles well.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

It looks like when GWS didn't fancy any of the players left at their pick, the defaulted to grabbing the best key position prospect with the view to simply on trade them. Can't see them bothering to develop McCarthy either.

FQF
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:It looks like when GWS didn't fancy any of the players left at their pick, the defaulted to grabbing the best key position prospect with the view to simply on trade them. Can't see them bothering to develop McCarthy either.
The problem with that "tactic" (which is a generous term for what should be described as stupidity) is that when a young player is not developed for a couple of years, his value depreciates rapidly. Jaksch would never net a pick 12 right now. It's arguable whether even Boyd would be worth a straight swap for pick 1. And that doesn't even account for the fact that GWS have lost and will probably continue to lose players for nothing when they go out of contract.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

I reckon we've got Jaksch of picking him up.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
dragit wrote:It looks like when GWS didn't fancy any of the players left at their pick, the defaulted to grabbing the best key position prospect with the view to simply on trade them. Can't see them bothering to develop McCarthy either.
The problem with that "tactic" (which is a generous term for what should be described as stupidity) is that when a young player is not developed for a couple of years, his value depreciates rapidly. Jaksch would never net a pick 12 right now. It's arguable whether even Boyd would be worth a straight swap for pick 1. And that doesn't even account for the fact that GWS have lost and will probably continue to lose players for nothing when they go out of contract.
You could well be right, I'm just trying to rationalise a side with Cameron, Patton & Boyd taking 2 more key more forwards… I guess you can't develop players for the sake of trading them at the expense of playing the guys you want to keep.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

There will come a time in the next two years when we realise that - no-one really wants to come Seaford.

Deep down we all know it. But many are frightened to say it and many fear the change and upheaval and uncertainty of another future move.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 15 Sep 2014 7:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:There will come a time in the next two years when we realise that - no-one really wants to come Seaford.

Deep down we all know it. But many are frightened to say it and many fear the change and upheaval and uncertainty of another future move.

Con this is becoming stupid. Last time it was just champion players, now its anyone. You do realise we got about 6 players from other clubs in the last 2 years. Can you tell me why BJ went to Tullamarine? Surely that is even less appealing to Seaford. Money will get anyone. The club have said they wont be chasing a FA until next season so don't go on about players not wanting to come to us because its clearly wrong. Very wrong and silly.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:There will come a time in the next two years when we realise that - no-one really wants to come Seaford.

Con this is becoming stupid. Last time it was just champion players, now its anyone. You do realise we got about 6 players from other clubs in the last 2 years. Can you tell me why BJ went to Tullamarine? Surely that is even less appealing to Seaford. Money will get anyone. The club have said they wont be chasing a FA until next season so don't go on about players not wanting to come to us because its clearly wrong. Very wrong and silly.
What players - name them. And what were their alternatives exactly? Are you counting TDL in that? Maister? Bruce couldnt get a game at GWS. Lets be honest about that and Savage was never offered any alternatives. On the other had two actual Marquee players (BJ & Dal ) have left. SO the current Scorecard reads is -ve 2.

As I said - come out and be loud and proud.

If you are a supporter for the retention of Seaford.

Come out and say so clearly and openly.

Say "Here I stand, Seaford supporter"

But oh no - you wont have the guts to actually every clearly state a view . You will just carry on with sniveling snide remarks from the sidelines. Throwing stones from bushes - without ever having the courage or guts to state a clear view on anything.

Put your reasons for the retention of Seaford on record - otherwise you simply have no right whatsoever to bag me.

Just admit you fear change. You fear it deep in your bones.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What players - name them. And what were their alternatives exactly? Are you counting TDL in that? Maister? Bruce couldnt get a game at GWS. Lets be honest about that and Savage was never offered any alternatives. On the other had two actual Marquee players (BJ & Dal ) have left. SO the current Scorecard reads is -ve 2.

As I said - come out and be loud and proud.

If you are a supporter for the retention of Seaford.

Come out and say so clearly and openly.

Say "Here I stand, Seaford supporter"

But oh no - you wont have the guts to actually every clearly state a view . You will just carry on with sniveling snide remarks from the sidelines. Throwing stones from bushes - without ever having the courage or guts to state a clear view on anything.

Put your reasons for the retention of Seaford on record - otherwise you simply have no right whatsoever to bag me.

Just admit you fear change. You fear it deep in your bones.

I don't care where we train and I must have said that 100 times. What I don't buy is that players wont come to us because we train in Seaford. I noticed you ignored the BJ thing. Expected from you. Con tell us all the players we have missed out on because of Seaford. The club made it clear we aren't after a FA until the end of next season. They didn't say that because we train seaford. If we are still struggling if we move to the place near the JO we will struggle as much as in Seaford if we don't pay overs. Any footy person with half a brain would understand that. You love saying I wont have the guts. Seriously what is wrong with you. Seek some sort of help for the sake of your family. And last week you accused me of wanting to go to Moorabbin and now you think its seaford. Make up you mind. Ready to move again Con?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I can guarantee that if we were Hawthorn and Sydney are right now, players would be knocking on the door at Seaford to come play with us.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I can guarantee that if we were Hawthorn and Sydney are right now, players would be knocking on the door at Seaford to come play with us.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

3rd generation saint wrote:I can guarantee that if we were Hawthorn and Sydney are right now, players would be knocking on the door at Seaford to come play with us.
+ 1

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

So..... Who are we into now then?