Butters comes clean-- Article 12/10

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Butters comes clean-- Article 12/10

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/r ... 7087475278

shines a new light on many situations over 2000- 2007
Rod Butterss, former St Kilda president, speaks about alcoholism and return to society

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> He was a practising alcoholic for a decade before finding the strength in 2009. And for a decade, which included his tenure as St Kilda president, Butterss wore masks every day of his life.

Today, he’s approaching five years sober and the masks have disappeared.

So has the fame, shame and money, the self-loathing and the selfishness and, most importantly, the denial.

“We wear masks, all of us,” he said. “You know, what part are we playing today? For me, every day or occasion was a different mask, but behind the mask was this incredibly pathetic alcoholic.”

He hated himself, he said.

“At the end I loathed myself, I could barely enjoy my own company.

>>>>>>>>>>>>It is the first time he has spoken to the Herald Sun about his alcohol abuse - and other substance abuse - after three rejections. “I feel ready,” he said.

The coming out, so to speak, came after his son, Campbell, invited him to speak at Campbell’s Inside Out program a fortnight before the Grand Final, which is “a social hub that is designed to provide people an environment to come and find their passion and purpose and deal with issues”.

Butterss told his story for the first time.

“I became aware of my alcoholism about 10 years before I got clean, that’s when I became conscious of it,” he said.

“It’s a mental illness and there’s a lot of denial around it. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

“I used other stuff, but the point is if I didn’t have a couple of drinks in me I would never ... how can I say it, I had to change my thinking or alter my line to make that decision.”

Butterss became St Kilda president in 2000 on the urging of Grant Thomas.

They were great mates - the dynamic duo - when Butterss the president and Thomas the coach took the Saints on a terrific ride.

Butterss was filthy rich, flamboyant, confident, the very essence of St Kilda’s 1980s party-boy image. Thomas was the Zen master and quirky. He was sometimes belligerent, always confident and forthright, and arguably his strength was his greatest weakness, that is while his drive and initiative could be spellbinding, but too often beat to his own drum when a football club required an orchestra.

They do not talk now.

At the end, Butterss and the board sacked Thomas and the terrific ride crashed and burned at the end of 2006.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He went to one game this year, Lenny Hayes’ farewell game at Etihad. He sat in the outer with his son and former Saints chief executive Brian Waldron - the same Waldron who orchestrated the salary cap cheating at Melbourne Storm - and thoroughly loved it.

“It was lovely, it was nice,” he said. “You know, I don’t miss football. It was a part of my life which consumed me, but it came to an end. We didn’t see it coming and I felt like it was an act of treachery because we had given so much, but that’s just my self interest.

“As I said, everything comes to an end.”

Shents?????

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Butters comes clean-- Article 12/10

I was told by a mate of his he nearly killed his step son on a quad bike.

This guy had to act as a go between him and Thomo.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the people that dumped him wanted to put Footy First, the Bottle and other Substances a distant second...

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good on him. I met him only once but liked him immediately - he had time for supporters and wasnt an up himself twat........unlike those who borrowed $1m from him then decided it wasnt a loan so didnt need repayment........that speaks volumes to me..

“Yeah….nah””
Austinnn
Club Player

So sad. He was responsible for so much good and bad at our club. Could have been great and gone out a hero. I'm grateful for helping to build the strong team we had 10 years ago but a lot of very bad decisions too which still cost this club today.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote: He went to one game this year, Lenny Hayes’ farewell game at Etihad. He sat in the outer with his son and former Saints chief executive Brian Waldron - and thoroughly loved it.
Sad.

He was good for the club as was GT.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I am shocked to hear that our club was run by alcoholic substance abusers :D

Great to hear that he has got his life back on track… very tricky to do when you've been at it for so long like he was.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Great guy. I met him twice and was really impressed with him. A real people's person and a St. Kilda person too. Good luck Rod.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I am shocked to hear that our club was run by alcoholic substance abusers :D

Great to hear that he has got his life back on track… very tricky to do when you've been at it for so long like he was.

Life's a marathon Dragit. :)

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Good on him. I met him only once but liked him immediately - he had time for supporters and wasnt an up himself twat........unlike those who borrowed $1m from him then decided it wasnt a loan so didnt need repayment........that speaks volumes to me..

Teffers....come on...

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Well great, as long as everyone else is so blasé about our destiny being in the hands of an alcoholic. I love a drink as much as the next person - some would say more - but I've never let that impact something that has ramifications adversely affecting an organisation I profess to love. Disgraceful Butterss, a hex on you and anything you claim to stand for. Actually way worse than merely disgraceful.

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Austinnn
Club Player

Harvey To Hayes wrote:Well great, as long as everyone else is so blasé about our destiny being in the hands of an alcoholic. I love a drink as much as the next person - some would say more - but I've never let that impact something that has ramifications adversely affecting an organisation I profess to love. Disgraceful Butterss, a hex on you and anything you claim to stand for. Actually way worse than merely disgraceful.
I was writing a similarly disgraced response, but I reflected:

1. He did pretty well in his job. He was at least a functioning alcoholic, rather than a dribbling mess. He left us in a better state than he found us, surely. Like I said, he could have been better.
2. I'm not sure if being an alco really made a big difference to his work. Maybe you folks can enlighten me?
3. I doubt he's the only one in footy. He and Thomas were trailblazers in so many ways, maybe his confession will inspire other chairmen to out themselves as substance abusers!
4. Our destiny isn't in his hands. Let's move on and hope Summers is Mr Clean.

On the other hand, he was responsible for Archie Fraser. Interesting to see the connection pre-St Kilda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Fra ... tball_Club

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
#gosaintas
Club Player

Goo on you Rod. I liked you then and it takes guts to turn it around. Impressive.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:Well great, as long as everyone else is so blasé about our destiny being in the hands of an alcoholic. I love a drink as much as the next person - some would say more - but I've never let that impact something that has ramifications adversely affecting an organisation I profess to love. Disgraceful Butterss, a hex on you and anything you claim to stand for. Actually way worse than merely disgraceful.
So knowing that he was an alcoholic he should have locked himself away in a little room and not associated with "normal" people? Fundamental misunderstanding of mental illness there.

supersaints
Club Player

Knew he liked to drink and party, but didn't know he was an alcoholic.

"The word" going around when he and Thommo's great friendship split was that Butters was having affairs and that Thommo us quite the strong family man, did not appprove one little bit. Apparently led to many heated arguments. ( must admit rather-ironically) this was being mumbled at the boozy end of Corporate lunches etc, (and I'd had a few myself!)

Interesting that Slobbo wrote the article, being he's got to be borderline alcoholic himself at best? Maybe it's his shadow side allowing him to indulge but remain in denial?

Secondly wonder if that's how it makes him feel better that his club is full of injectors? Is his darker side crying out saying " see a lot of clubs were (or are) dysfunctional!

Either way good to see it's in the past, feel very sad for his family it hurts ( was married to an alcoholic , still got the scars.)

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Anybody know how he earned all his money?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Anybody know how he earned all his money?

Sold an IT company for 75 million or so I think.

Vazelos
Club Player

Saw him on Friday at a cafe ironically. Got pissed with him in Adelaide at the start of his journey when we were building our team in the early 2000s. A nice man socially, always had time to talk. Out of the box thinker who has shown that in his business and his time at the Saints. Disappointed he and Thomas lost their way because it was the most dynamic team we had off the park in my time. They had a dream and sold it very well. Both had character flaws that got them undone eventually.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I know a lot of corporate people who are drunks. You would be surprised how many Pollies and CEOs are serious drunks. Tony Abbott has a very serious drinking problem according to a family friend who is in state politics.

saint-stu
Club Player

The fact that he lost his own fortune due to "bad decisions" should be enough evidence that he should not have been our president.

You have to credit him and Thommo for earning the club a lot of respect but it was definitely time for both to go when they did.

1ac46a38
matrix
Saintsational Legend

well that would explain a lot.....

$75 million
shesh :shock:

saint-stu
Club Player

Oh and Archie Fraser, what an absolute disaster!

1ac46a38
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:Well great, as long as everyone else is so blasé about our destiny being in the hands of an alcoholic.
A functioning alcoholic who in the main did a very good job.

He helped turn the club around and now he's turned his own life around. All credit too him

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yes...i don't know why posters are saying good on him...the guy's an asshole....he was the problem ..not thomas...as i have always maintained.....coming out now does no one no good...imho....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

good on him for allowing the realisation that he was beholden to an addictive disease.
good on him for facing up.
good on him for doing the work needed , to be 'clean'.
good on him for having a go.
good on him for sharing his story.

... if only one of the self centred manipulative mr perfects around here wake up to their own puffed up masks of universal righteousness
... it'll be good on him for helping human evolvement as well.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.