Carlton encroaching on Wellington...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Carlton encroaching on Wellington...

According to The Age this morning, Carlton want to play us in Wellington every ANZAC Day.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... 1fc56.html

Surely the AFL declares this our sole venture.

Do we take it the pelican has joined the Blues?

citywest

Re: Carlton encroaching on Wellington...

This is another reason we must play 3 games a year in Wellington. Those scumbags will slowly try and take NZ off us. We have to act now before it is too late. Geez I hate Carlton. The ideal scenario in my book would be.....

4 home games at Etihad.
4 home games at the MCG.
3 home games in NZ.

This would kill off any ideas those scumbags may be formulating.

citywest

Also, we need to find out if there is a ground big enough for AFL in Auckland. If there is I would be rapt if 1 of those 3 games was played there.

citywest

Oh yeah, as far as Carlton are concerned...............'LET THEM ROT'.

70s sainter
Club Player

They can have it.
I would much rather sell home games to tassie if thats what we re gonna do.
If carlton get their own home game in nz and expect us to be their away team , they can stick it.
If we agreed to do that i would be writing to the club in disgust.
The nz move is purely money based , so if were not being paid to play there we should refuse.
If the club says something like "an extra game in nz to connect with our nz fans would be great......" would be a joke imo.

citywest

70s sainter wrote:They can have it.
If carlton get their own home game in nz and expect us to be their away team , they can stick it.
The nz move is purely money based , so if were not being paid to play there we should refuse.
If the club says something like "an extra game in nz to connect with our nz fans would be great......" would be a joke imo.
The NZ move is not just money based. It is a chance to increase our supporter base (which in the end means more money so I suppose you're correct). Don't forget that heaps of NZ'ers migrate to Australia every year. Wouldn't it be fantastic if everyone of those automatically barracked for St Kilda? I reckon it would be awesome. I actually work with a kiwi and he barracks for us now and is thinking of becoming a member next year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
The NZ move is not just money based. It is a chance to increase our supporter base (which in the end means more money so I suppose you're correct). Don't forget that heaps of NZ'ers migrate to Australia every year. Wouldn't it be fantastic if everyone of those automatically barracked for St Kilda? I reckon it would be awesome. I actually work with a kiwi and he barracks for us now and is thinking of becoming a member next year.
Im happy with one game because all it is is a money making exercise. Im sorry but NZ people have little or no interest in our game. If we got 1000 members it would be a great effort. The problem is we need people to travel over there or Wellington will not continue to give us the 500K.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:
Im happy with one game because all it is is a money making exercise. Im sorry but NZ people have little or no interest in our game. If we got 1000 members it would be a great effort. The problem is we need people to travel over there or Wellington will not continue to give us the 500K.
Exactly. But I'm not expecting citywest to understand that

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

They can certainly have it, I have a sneaking suspicion that they may need it in coming years.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

citywest wrote:
Get this, the people of Wellington are not interested. The first game there drew around 12,000 and the next less than 10,000. It is not going to get better. You could say the same for Western Sydney, however we don't need to be as pig headedly stupid as the AFL.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

citywest wrote:
Get this, the people of Wellington are not interested. The first game there drew around 12,000 and the next less than 10,000. It is not going to get better. You could say the same for Western Sydney, however we don't need to be as pig headedly stupid as the AFL.

citywest

Linton Lodger wrote:
citywest wrote:
Mis-guided and short sighted. Nobody said that NZ and Western Sydney will be easy to win over. But they will be won and the benefits will be huge. It just needs a lot of patience and vision. I have no doubt that we can eventually have 10,000 kiwi members in the not too distant future, providing we play 3 games there every year. I would love to see a game in Auckland where there is a huge population.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
citywest wrote:
Mis-guided and short sighted. Nobody said that NZ and Western Sydney will be easy to win over. But they will be won and the benefits will be huge. It just needs a lot of patience and vision. I have no doubt that we can eventually have 10,000 kiwi members in the not too distant future, providing we play 3 games there every year. I would love to see a game in Auckland where there is a huge population.

Firstly there isn't a suitable AFL ground in Auckland and secondly there is no way Wellington are going to pay 500k a game for 3 games in a year and thirdly there is no way we would ever get 10k members even if we played 11 games there. I don't even think the Hawks have 10k members in Tassie. People are not interested in AFL footy in NZ.

citywest

Thankfully the people at St Kilda do not agree with your short-sightedness plugger66. They can see great gains can be made for the St Kilda FC. providing they do it properly and above all stick to it.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

getting kiwis to like aussie rules would be like me getting to like rugby.......never going to happen......never

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Thankfully the people at St Kilda do not agree with your short-sightedness plugger66. They can see great gains can be made for the St Kilda FC. providing they do it properly and above all stick to it.

How do you know people at St Kilda don't agree with me? Can you show me something at all where they agree with you. CW you are funny but more in a sad way.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Just to get away from the private arguments for a minute and back on topic;

I see this as Stephen Trigg, cheat & small town bully boy as trying to "muscle in/cash in" on all the work that St Kilda has done in setting this whole thing up. I would like to think that Matt Finnis would be on the phone to Gill quick smart, telling him to put this bullying cheat back in his box.

I'd love to St Kilda play Richmond in Wellington on ANZAC Day 2016. I suspect the Government over there would like that too !!
Last edited by Eastern on Sun 02 Nov 2014 7:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

70s sainter
Club Player

I just think playing in nz under the guise of doing it for extra members is the wrong way to go completely.
The more games you play over there trying to attract supporters the more people you lose over here where people actually like footy. We have a lot of supporters in melb / we should just concentrate on converting them to members , while actually retaining our current members.

citywest

They disagree with you plugger because they are pushing ahead with NZ. They have vision and the talk is that the next contract will be for 2 games per year. Especially now since the scumbags are trying to muscle in on the opportunity. Let them rot I say.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:I just think playing in nz under the guise of doing it for extra members is the wrong way to go completely.
The more games you play over there trying to attract supporters the more people you lose over here where people actually like footy. We have a lot of supporters in melb / we should just concentrate on converting them to members , while actually retaining our current members.
I think you are argueing a different topic there 70's sainter. Yes, there would be a bit of "Cross-Over" but we need the $400,000 it provides. 7 Interstate games in 2015 would be doing much more damage to our membership drive than the 1 game in Wellington !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Just to get away from the private arguments for a minute and back on topic;

I see this as Stephen Trigg, cheat & small town bully boy as trying to "muscle in/cash in" on all the work that St Kilda has done in setting this whole thing up. I would like to think that Matt Finnis would be on the phone to Gill quick smart, telling him to put this bullying cheat back in his box.

I'd love to St Kilda play Richmond in Wellington on ANZAC Day 2016. I suspect the Government over there would like that too !!

Isnt that defeating the purpose. We could actually get a reasonable crowd against Richmond here in Melbourne. Even playing Carlton is a mistake for the same reason. it should always be an interstate side unless we are actually worried that people wont go over there to watch which is real worry for the long term survival of NZ games.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:They disagree with you plugger because they are pushing ahead with NZ. They have vision and the talk is that the next contract will be for 2 games per year. Especially now since the scumbags are trying to muscle in on the opportunity. Let them rot I say.
What talk and from whom?

Love it how people try to claim/hint at 'inside knowledge' by using phrases such as 'the talk is'.

The Carlton thing is interesting to me. What is in it for them? I wouldn't completely write it off. It might be a good thing. Maybe it will create something. I dont know. There must be more to it than meets the eye.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:Just to get away from the private arguments for a minute and back on topic;

Isnt that defeating the purpose. We could actually get a reasonable crowd against Richmond here in Melbourne. Even playing Carlton is a mistake for the same reason. it should always be an interstate side unless we are actually worried that people wont go over there to watch which is real worry for the long term survival of NZ games.
Maybe Wellington council put pressure on us to play a Melbourne side and we told that to the AFL?

It's all about room nights and tourist dollars spent in NZ from their perspective...

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

That would be assuming that the AFL would FIXture us a HOME game v Richmond. My Glass Half Full has us with a Home game v Carlton at Etihad in 2016. Negotiate with the AFL to get ONE of these here & one over there !!

70s sainter
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
70s sainter wrote:I just think playing in nz under the guise of doing it for extra members is the wrong way to go completely.
I think you are argueing a different topic there 70's sainter. Yes, there would be a bit of "Cross-Over" but we need the $400,000 it provides. 7 Interstate games in 2015 would be doing much more damage to our membership drive than the 1 game in Wellington !!
I was actually just disagreeing with cw s argument for members from nz.
Our seven interstate games are away games so theres nothing we can do about those - but selling more games overseas, or actually choosing nz for an away game would be a mistake i reckon.
I know we need the money, but there is a tipping point where it will cost you more in the end. For me that is more than one home game in nz.