McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evo
Club Player

Re: McCartin

A lot on here may have counted their chickens a little early and are now venting anger because their love child maybe is not the clubs choice. Most experts cannot split them so there must be a lot to like about Paddy. Good key forwards don't come cheaply and are rarely traded.

evo
Club Player

Don't use Tapatalk.
Last edited by evo on Mon 24 Nov 2014 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

evo
Club Player

See above
Last edited by evo on Mon 24 Nov 2014 11:32pm, edited 3 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Can you just repeat that evo. We missed it the first four times. :)

Im calling BS. We wont go McCArtin. He might slide. Doesnt convince me at all. A 193cm key fwd without bags of goals and cant play anywhere else. Big whoops.

sax
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Can you just repeat that evo. We missed it the first four times. :)

Im calling BS. We wont go McCArtin. He might slide. Doesnt convince me at all. A 193cm key fwd without bags of goals and cant play anywhere else. Big whoops.
+1

McClure is a tool of the highest order. We would be stupid not to take Petracca IMO! No. 1 should be the best player in the draft & CP is the best player!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Does Paddy have the same confidence/swagger that CP does?

CP comes across as a player who will own the game. Confident because he knows he's the best.
So long as he works hard he is number 1.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SMS
Club Player

I dont mean to offend but AFL is becoming such a hard running game a DIEBETIC. Or anything else is a disadvantage.

Stress for a grand final or low blood sugar and we lose?

Choosing mccartin who looks and moves like a smart country footballer is not good enough.
Surely we wouldnt. I just couldnt believe it.
Petracca is the new generation of players I genuinely believe he will be the jordan of our time.

Makes sense being us stkilda to stuff it up so yeah probably will choose a diebetic forward who only managed 2.3 goal average.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Article on McCartin. He discusses diabetes.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 1s77k.html

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:
SMS wrote:No.
What testing? this is BS.

Petracca is an elite athlete. He marks, handballs better than any and has GOAL SENSE!

IF we choose Paddy, A DIEBETIC, whos highlights were just a lead up forward ILL GO BANANAS!

Reece McKenzie is every bit as good bar endurance.
We can get him at 22.

Seriously what the hell? We will be the laughing stock of the AFL.
I take real offence at someone claiming McCartin can't perform his job because he's a diabetic. As someone's who lived with a life long medical condition, it hasn't stopped me doing one thing. What is has taught me is self-discipline, perspective and given me life experience.
read this..

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 1s77k.html

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:A lot on here may have counted their chickens a little early and are now venting anger because their love child maybe is not the clubs choice. Most experts cannot split them so there must be a lot to like about Paddy. Good key forwards don't come cheaply and are rarely traded.
tell shitney that........plugger obee, boofhead, tippett buddy.....rarely traded?????

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
evo wrote:A lot on here may have counted their chickens a little early and are now venting anger because their love child maybe is not the clubs choice. Most experts cannot split them so there must be a lot to like about Paddy. Good key forwards don't come cheaply and are rarely traded.
tell shitney that........plugger obee, boofhead, tippett buddy.....rarely traded?????
exactly.

Umm Boyd??????????

You are garbage - Enough said
falka
Club Player

If you read the article on afl.com it appears more likely McCartin

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
stinger wrote:
exactly.

Umm Boyd??????????
well, i was just sticking with the swine...

StGoddard18
Club Player

I am hoping all this Mcartin talk is the media and/or AFL trying to build up the draft as it's only a few days away.
I really really do hope we take Petracca.

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
stinger
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:If you read the article on afl.com it appears more likely McCartin
i think you are right...

"The choice faced by the Saints on Thursday is quite simple - Petracca, the midfielder/forward with the X-factor, or McCartin who could become St Kilda's key forward anchor for the next decade.

Petracca is the consensus best player in the draft, but the argument to take McCartin remains compelling for the Saints. The Lance Franklin and Tom Boyd deals in the past 12 months demonstrate how inflationary the market for key forwards has become.

And while the recently re-signed Nick Riewoldt has indicated he would like to play for the next two seasons, what happens after that? Can Tom Lee, Spencer White and Tim Membrey become St Kilda's forward line of the future?

"We have that conversation all the time. What are the plans?" Richardson said.

"While ‘Rooey’ is still playing outstanding footy, he needs support and whether it happens this draft, the next draft, or through a trade, it is going to happen."

Richardson said a club in St Kilda's position could not ignore the magnitude of the Franklin and Boyd deals.

"If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club.

"We’re going to get a fantastic footballer into our organisation either way. It is a tough one.”

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I for one think it's a tremendous idea and great forward thinking by the club. You can never have enough project forwards ,even if all the successful clubs have heavily dominant midfields that go deep. We can go against the grain, and stack the side with project forwards just incase, that fateful day ever comes when we don't have a gameplan that revolves around kicking it to Roo 100% of the time. You can never have enough decoy forwards playing alongside him,it has served us well and by taking Mccartin will continue to serve us well. He will be fast tracked in no time on being a great decoy forward as Roo will set him straight to get out of his territory,he'll be leading into good positions and being ignored in no time which is great for Roo and our gameplan.

Lee,Membrey,Sipposs,Buddy White,Bruce,and now Mccartin! The competition will be quaking in there boots,especially if we can nab McKernan in the pre season draft also,another project forward! I am excited now finally at the direction we are going. The Seb Ross led midfield will be salivating at exploding out of the centre now

Bring back the Lockett era
stinger
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:I for one think it's a tremendous idea and great forward thinking by the club. You can never have enough project forwards ,even if all the successful clubs have heavily dominant midfields that go deep. We can go against the grain, and stack the side with project forwards just incase, that fateful day ever comes when we don't have a gameplan that revolves around kicking it to Roo 100% of the time. You can never have enough decoy forwards playing alongside him,it has served us well and by taking Mccartin will continue to serve us well. He will be fast tracked in no time on being a great decoy forward as Roo will set him straight to get out of his territory,he'll be leading into good positions and being ignored in no time which is great for Roo and our gameplan.

Lee,Membrey,Sipposs,Buddy White,Bruce,and now Mccartin! The competition will be quaking in there boots,especially if we can nab McKernan in the pre season draft also,another project forward! I am excited now finally at the direction we are going. The Seb Ross led midfield will be salivating at exploding out of the centre now

:mrgreen:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-2 ... first-pick

"THE SAINTS have finalised plans for Thursday night’s NAB AFL Draft including who will be taken with the coveted first pick.

Club recruiters presented to coach Alan Richardson late last week including running through scenarios for picks 21 (received from Geelong for Rhys Stanley), 22 and the final ‘live’ pick in 41.

“There has been speculation for months about who we will take - especially with pick one - but the reality is that we only finalised our decision last week,” Richardson said.

“We believed the choice at pick one came down to Paddy McCartin or Christian Petracca but that Angus Brayshaw would also have been a worthy selection.

“It is not as black and white as some people believe. While Petracca is a very exciting forward/midfielder I think McCartin’s claims on being the top selection have been undersold as he’s a quality key forward and they don’t grow on trees.

“Having pick one means we have been in the fortunate position of being able to take our time, do our research, check and re-check and make an informed decision without having to factor in what other clubs will do.

“We are very comfortable with our decision for pick one and our plans for the remaining three picks and look forward to bringing some talented young men into the club and developing them as players.”

Richardson said while the decision for pick 1 was driven by factors such as character and values, ultimately it came down to who the club believed is the best player."

....pretty hard to try and guess who they are going to pick.....i have seen indicators that point to both players....

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-2 ... first-pick

Richardson said while the decision for pick 1 was driven by factors such as character and values, ultimately it came down to who the club believed is the best player."

Surely it's Petracca then

Bring back the Lockett era
stinger
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:

the coach also said this...

""If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club."

so fiik

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

#standbythetractor

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
jonesy wrote:

the coach also said this...

""If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club."

so fiik

Just like Boyd at GWS?

Bloody hell, after a year of freezing his balls of in our wilderness forward line as our piddling mids get pummelled game after game, he might decide that after two years he wants to move to, say Melbourne, whose two power mids, Petracca and Brayshaw and rocketing them up the ladder.

So we lose McCartin, but hey we get pick #3 and Jack Watts.

The kool aid drinkers would be telling us all off and be saying "have faith in the club" :roll:

You are garbage - Enough said
amusingname
Club Player

SMS wrote:I dont mean to offend but AFL is becoming such a hard running game a DIEBETIC. Or anything else is a disadvantage.

Stress for a grand final or low blood sugar and we lose?

Choosing mccartin who looks and moves like a smart country footballer is not good enough.
Surely we wouldnt. I just couldnt believe it.
Petracca is the new generation of players I genuinely believe he will be the jordan of our time.

Makes sense being us stkilda to stuff it up so yeah probably will choose a diebetic forward who only managed 2.3 goal average.

The Jordan of our time - Jeez, a bit of pressure there.

Rating Petracca as the best player is one thing (and also my opinion), but we need to take a deep breath about him. He is an outstanding talent, but not one without flaws and possible limitations, just the same as McCartin. I would trust in the recruiters to make the correct call based on the future rather than junior stats.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

After reading all the paranoia above I'm convinced the Saints are taking Petracca.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
TwoTowers
Club Player

From this morning's www.afl.com article, I believe this will be what decides who we pick:

"What makes him tick? How does he handle success or failure? What are his quirks and foibles? Can he lead? What character traits come to the fore during times of triumph and stress? Can he play through pain? Will he listen? Can he be taught?"

The article also says that the coach is close to Petracca's family so if we don't take him then it won't be down to one of them showing better sporting prowess at this stage in their young lives.