Tommy Lee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Lee

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-18/s ... t-to-prove

Fit-again Saint Tom Lee ready to finally prove his worth
Jennifer Phelan January 18, 2015 10:00 AM

AFTER his second season was destroyed by persistent shoulder problems, Tom Lee believes 2015 could be the year he silences his critics and makes a telling contribution to St Kilda's forward line.

It's no secret the 24-year-old has struggled since being plucked from the WAFL in late 2012 for his second crack at an AFL career.

Saints fans have questioned why the club traded pick No.12 for him (in a deal that also netted them draftees Nathan Wright and Josh Saunders) when his fitness and form has limited him to just 13 senior appearances in two years.

But Lee's shoulder problems, which started in his last WAFL season playing for Claremont in 2012, run much deeper than many think.

They haven't made it easy for the West Australian to make the impact he – and everyone else – wants him to, after a promising end to 2013.

Saints, Blues eye annual Anzac Day game in NZ

"The criticism … I've copped a fair bit of that last year, obviously coming in as a reasonably high pick, there's pressure there and the fans expect a lot," Lee told AFL.com.au this week.

"I've definitely felt that pressure, not only externally but sometimes internally as well, but obviously I know what I've been through in terms of injury.

"The club knows what I've been through and now I'm finally turning a corner.

"I'm very excited about this year and hopefully that can show up in games and I can actually give a bit back to the club."

Lee first injured his right shoulder midway through the 2012 WAFL season. In the last game of the same year, he hurt the left.

Both injuries needed surgery but he was so desperate to make it onto an AFL list – and make an impression once he did – that he put the operations off for 12 months.

That decision meant he was available to play in his first year as a Saint but hadn't been free to lift the weights he needed to in order to get stronger and make an impact.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tommy Lee

Keep a lid on it Con

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He took a couple of super nice marks at training and I was already getting on him again. Now I'm pumped.

Megamaguire
Club Player

No More Injuries 4 Tommy Lee

Always nice to hear of a player turn a corner following chronic injuries - in this case shoulders.
Who knows T.L. could be on the verge of a sustained period that is injury-free and allows him to reach his potential.
GOOD LUCK TO HIM.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Go the Lee-Train!!!

Look again it's the Flash!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:"Lee first injured his right shoulder midway through the 2012 WAFL season. In the last game of the same year, he hurt the left.

Both injuries needed surgery but he was so desperate to make it onto an AFL list – and make an impression once he did – that he put the operations off for 12 months.

That decision meant he was available to play in his first year as a Saint but hadn't been free to lift the weights he needed to in order to get stronger and make an impact."
So they're saying he didn't have the operations until the end of 2013? What a waste of time that was. If the club knew he needed the surgery then surely they should have pushed him to have it up front, give him a clean run at it. He's already 24, it's not as though he's got all the time in the world.

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: No More Injuries 4 Tommy Lee

Megamaguire wrote:Always nice to hear of a player turn a corner following chronic injuries - in this case shoulders.
Who knows T.L. could be on the verge of a sustained period that is injury-free and allows him to reach his potential.
GOOD LUCK TO HIM.

G O S A I N T S ! :D
Totally agree.
Would love to see him able to have a red-hot go at it without injury concerns.
Good luck Tommy.

summertime and the living is easy ........
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I spoke to him today and he said he hasn't had good shoulders for years. Did the first one in the WAFL. He said there is a bone protrusion that was missing that allowed his shoulders to pop out. He's pumped that they are finally right and looks fit. Good guy to have a chat with too.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I spoke to him today and he said he hasn't had good shoulders for years. Did the first one in the WAFL. He said there is a bone protrusion that was missing that allowed his shoulders to pop out. He's pumped that they are finally right and looks fit. Good guy to have a chat with too.
also had a chat

great bloke

looks fit and stronger

eyeing off the Stanley spot with pinch hits in the ruck

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BackFromUSA wrote:
gringo wrote:I spoke to him today and he said he hasn't had good shoulders for years. Did the first one in the WAFL. He said there is a bone protrusion that was missing that allowed his shoulders to pop out. He's pumped that they are finally right and looks fit. Good guy to have a chat with too.
also had a chat

great bloke

looks fit and stronger

And before some laugh, Tom has gone surprisingly well when thrown into the ruck... and that was before he was able to lift the weights.

A lot of Saintsationalists, and more importantly, a lot of AFL defenders :twisted: are going to be in for a shock this season, I reckon.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
also had a chat

great bloke

looks fit and stronger

And before some laugh, Tom has gone surprisingly well when thrown into the ruck... and that was before he was able to lift the weights.

A lot of Saintsationalists, and more importantly, a lot of AFL defenders :twisted: are going to be in for a shock this season, I reckon.

He never went well in the ruck but hopefully he will this season. I don't think he is good enough in the ruck to take that spot but im sure he will be given a chance because we cant play 2 genuine ruckmen.I would think Bruce is the better option if he plays forward.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bizarre we used pick 13 (yes we got a second rounder also) on a bloke with known shoulder issues and have only now fixed it

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Bizarre we used pick 13 (yes we got a second rounder also) on a bloke with known shoulder issues and have only now fixed it
SP, you're becoming a bit of a troll in your old age.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Good shot of his kicking action on Facebook - if he can get his hands on it he will kick a few because that is an immaculate kick for goal

#1 Ryder fan
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah I'm still going to need some convincing that (a) his body can stand up to the rigours of AFL (b) he has developed a tank that will enable him to provide repeat efforts , and (c) he can take a contested mark.

But the one area of his game that I am a fan of is his goal kicking. He's the one player I would want taking the kick to decide a grand final.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Yeah I'm still going to need some convincing that (a) his body can stand up to the rigours of AFL (b) he has developed a tank that will enable him to provide repeat efforts , and (c) he can take a contested mark.

But the one area of his game that I am a fan of is his goal kicking. He's the one player I would want taking the kick to decide a grand final.
+1
His tank is the real handicap, if that builds up he could be handy (at best)

Nee!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Yeah I'm still going to need some convincing that (a) his body can stand up to the rigours of AFL (b) he has developed a tank that will enable him to provide repeat efforts , and (c) he can take a contested mark.

They were doing a drill at training where the rucks would tap it to the mids who would pump it forward into a congested forward line where two groups were stationed. Paddy and the other forwards were struggling to hold marks as there wasn't much space to work in and they were getting lots of attention. Lee took a grab that was outstanding where he was horizontal and came down hard and got up no issues, looked like a highlight reel special. I think we will see the Tom Lee we thought we were getting this year. For those who have forgotten see the highlight reel....he can take a contested grab.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

They were doing a drill at training where the rucks would tap it to the mids who would pump it forward into a congested forward line where two groups were stationed. Paddy and the other forwards were struggling to hold marks as there wasn't much space to work in and they were getting lots of attention. Lee took a grab that was outstanding where he was horizontal and came down hard and got up no issues, looked like a highlight reel special. I think we will see the Tom Lee we thought we were getting this year. For those who have forgotten see the highlight reel....he can take a contested grab.

I wouldn't get to excited at what they do at training especially this time of the year. Lee is coming from a fair way back and he certainly needs to lift. Cant blame shoulders lack of pace or bo second and third efforts. Hope he comes good because he cost a lot but I certainly have doubts.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 22 Jan 2015 2:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Like Lee a lot looks to have the tools to be a competent AFL footballer.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Like Lee a lot looks to have the tools to be a competent AFL footballer.

Hope you are right but what have you seen to suggest that. All I saw was some very ordinary games last season.

mambo2706
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:if he can get his hands on it he will kick a few because that is an immaculate kick for goal
Agree. I know we haven't seen a lot of him but IMO he is one of the best set shots for goal in the League.

I don't think he will ever be a super star but I think he can become a very good player for us.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Like Lee a lot looks to have the tools to be a competent AFL footballer.

Hope you are right but what have you seen to suggest that. All I saw was some very ordinary games last season.

I thought the games in his first season at the saints showed plenty of promise. Last year was a write off but he has talent.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He has talent and also has a lot of footy nouse. He did a lot of work encouraging the young blokes from the Sandy bench last year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
loris
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:He has talent and also has a lot of footy nouse. He did a lot of work encouraging the young blokes from the Sandy bench last year.
Like to read that comment BS

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

In his first season he showed little other than being a great set shot.
He couldn't break away from opponents and seemed to have few tricks
Hopefully he can built a tank that will allow him to break away from opponents on the second and third leads.
Good luck.
With incremental improvements and his accuracy in front of goals he could kick 100 goals over a three year period which would be very handy