Pride March

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

avid
Club Player

Pride March

Very very proud of the club turning out in force at St Kilda's Pride March yesterday.
(Pictures on Saints.com.au and on twitter: @stkildafc @jasonball88 etc. (how do you insert a photo on this forum? -- just discovered I have no idea)

Not heaps of players (would have liked a few more) but CEO, COO and many staff made a strong contingent.
Exactly what the club should be doing if it takes its association with St Kilda (the place) seriously.

Thank you Matt and Ameet and staff.
Thank you Jarryn Geary, Tom Hickey, Josh Bruce, Spencer White and (I think) Hugh Goddard for having the conviction to turn up.
[Edit -- who I thought in the photo was maybe Hugh Goddard, is, I'm told, Jason Ball, who started the whole ball rolling in footy.
I apologise for any embarrassment this may have caused, particularly to myself.]
Last edited by avid on Tue 03 Feb 2015 12:54am, edited 1 time in total.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pride March

To post a picture.
You need to copy the address of the image, you can usually get this by right clicking on the picture and selecting "Copy image URL" or something similar.
Then go back to the post you are writing on Saintsational. Click the "Img" button and paste your address between the two sets of square brackets.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

last years pic DR?

more pics and responses in Club article.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-02-0 ... arching-in

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Or Gilbert is in a moon boot again.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
loris
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Or Gilbert is in a moon boot again.
And he hasn't updated his wardrobe............... mustn't be on a good contract!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

last years pic kosi

but I believe he's still not great.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint6709
Club Player

This gives me real hope and dare I say it belief that Finnis can get us a presence in St Kilda.... Makes me think the
JO is a long way from dead

avid
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:This gives me real hope and dare I say it belief that Finnis can get us a presence in St Kilda.... Makes me think the
JO is a long way from dead
It's true -- there's a fair way to go on this yet.

I've been talking with the "Bring the Saints home" Facebook page people, and this is what they've just posted tonight:

Given there's a lot of questions and points of view on the notion of the saints at the junction, a few of us are thinking of organising a public information evening to allow the Saints and AFL to present their plans and answer questions about it.

Would you be interested in attending such an evening?

How interested are people here to turn up to such a thing?
(Sorry -- this isn't directly on the Pride March -- I'll repost it elsewhere too.)

Still interested in what we think.
And still love a true St Kilda presence in St KIlda.
Sunday was a heartening example.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
And he hasn't updated his wardrobe
Josh Bruce might need to, if the above photo is anything to go by. Or at least he could start wearing socks and roll the legs of his jeans down to normal length. What is it with that trend? Darn hipsters!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Forget pride marches, gay Round etc. What would advance the whole gay issue would be if a player actually had the courage to "come out". So far, no takers. Surprising really, seeing as many gay activists tell us that up to ten percent of the population is gay. If that figure was accurate, there should be, on average, about 70 gay players in the AFL.

Even if it's more like two percent, which I believe is a bit closer to the actual mark, there would still be at least fourteen closeted players. In these so called enlightened times, why don't they simply come out? After all, society is so supportive of them, aren't they? Ian Roberts, the NRL star came out in 1996. It was expected that it would prompt a flood of sportsmen coming out, but in the football codes there hasn`t been a single one since. What are they afraid of? Thorpey wasn't burned at the stake and doesn't seem to have suffered too much since his announcement. So what's the issue?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Forget pride marches, gay Round etc. What would advance the whole gay issue would be if a player actually had the courage to "come out". So far, no takers. Surprising really, seeing as many gay activists tell us that up to ten percent of the population is gay. If that figure was accurate, there should be, on average, about 70 gay players in the AFL.

Even if it's more like two percent, which I believe is a bit closer to the actual mark, there would still be at least fourteen closeted players. In these so called enlightened times, why don't they simply come out? After all, society is so supportive of them, aren't they? Ian Roberts, the NRL star came out in 1996. It was expected that it would prompt a flood of sportsmen coming out, but in the football codes there hasn`t been a single one since. What are they afraid of? Thorpey wasn't burned at the stake and doesn't seem to have suffered too much since his announcement. So what's the issue?

My thinking is that it is likely to mostly be players out of the limelight as most players are. The problem would then be the player would be in the limelight and may not like that. Most players are happy to play their career out without getting publicity. That's my experience anyway. It would be massive news. The 2 you named did it either after their career finished or near the end of their career and both were in the public limelight before they announced it. It would be a huge step for a player especially if they had another 10 years in the system. Unfortunately there are still idiots out there.

Saints43
Club Player

It's not unreasonable that players (and anyone) want to keep their private life, private.

Coming out would mean signing up to be a poster boy for the issue. Not too many would be interested in having the rest of their life defined by who they sleep with.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't there a Hawthorn player in the '60s by the name of Terry Gay?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Forget pride marches, gay Round etc. What would advance the whole gay issue would be if a player actually had the courage to "come out". So far, no takers. Surprising really, seeing as many gay activists tell us that up to ten percent of the population is gay. If that figure was accurate, there should be, on average, about 70 gay players in the AFL.

My thinking is that it is likely to mostly be players out of the limelight as most players are. The problem would then be the player would be in the limelight and may not like that. Most players are happy to play their career out without getting publicity. That's my experience anyway. It would be massive news. The 2 you named did it either after their career finished or near the end of their career and both were in the public limelight before they announced it. It would be a huge step for a player especially if they had another 10 years in the system. Unfortunately there are still idiots out there.
I would agree that that would be the main concern for any AFL player to come out. Rather than the danger of being ostracized or abused by bigots, they would more than likely come under a barrage of media scrutiny and have their private life disrupted.
Nevertheless, I think it will happen sooner or later. Would be classic if the revelation came on Brownlow Medal night when the one to break the ice attends with their Brownlow date of the same gender.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It may be a good career move for a gay player to come out near the end of his career to create opportunities post footy

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:It may be a good career move for a gay player to come out near the end of his career to create opportunities post footy

Seems like a great idea. We wouldn't want to just see a guy come out because he proud of being gay.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Up to the gay player if they want to come out or not.

My only worry is if it is a Saints player, can he kick a footy, tackle, handball and contribute to the team.

Too bad about the father/son though :wink:

You are garbage - Enough said
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Up to the gay player if they want to come out or not.

My only worry is if it is a Saints player, can he kick a footy, tackle, handball and contribute to the team.

Too bad about the father/son though :wink:
Would still be able to father a child surely :shock:

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Um yes technically but probably not going to as he obviously is attracted to men not women. The dude from the pies who went to freo is openly gay , probably explains why he quit .

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:Um yes technically but probably not going to as he obviously is attracted to men not women.
Well perhaps a star female footballer with similar same sex issues may request a "donation".

May lead to a super player being produced ImageImage

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:Um yes technically but probably not going to as he obviously is attracted to men not women. The dude from the pies who went to freo is openly gay , probably explains why he quit .

I suggest the person who left isn't openingly gay otherwise we would know about him. I suggest its a unfounded rumour.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I suggest the person who left isn't openingly gay otherwise we would know about him. I suggest its a unfounded rumour.

Plugger, no bulls***, I had a dream with you in it last night. Maybe I need to take a break from SS. Seriously, I met you on a train and we talked about the forum and the Saints. Off to seek mental health assistance this morning.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Plugger, no bulls***, I had a dream with you in it last night. Maybe I need to take a break from SS. Seriously, I met you on a train and we talked about the forum and the Saints. Off to seek mental health assistance this morning.
."....as long as you ony talked.. :!: :wink: :roll: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I saw an ex AFL player in Sydney with his boyfriend once. They are out there. I wouldn't want to be defined by being the first openly gay footballer. If I was them I would keep it all in house. Footy teams are great for learning to deal with all different types and everyone finding commonality. You see farm boys like Kosi and Schnieder along side guys like Markworth who is eloquent and educated and they find a common bond. Likewise when you get to know a gay person and you realise they aren't interested in jumping you they just become another team mate with a different background like Ahmed and his religious background. You learn to get along or you struggle, I see it even in junior footy inflexible kids with no ability to join the group because of prejudice towards others or annoying habits often get ostracised and quickly pull their heads in. They are pretty egalitarian places and they are in most cases pretty tolerant groups.