We will beat GWS...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

We will beat GWS...

How many so called experts have predicted we wont win a game this year! If ever Richo had anything to motivate this group surely that lack of respect is it. Im predicting Reiwoldt will play and play well, Schneider has been upgraded for a reason and luck has started to go our way with injuries. It will be close but at Etihad the Saints will make us proud!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: We will beat GWS...

Hope you are right but please don't lose the plot if we do lose because we are definite outsiders and would have to play at our best and GWS not be at their best for us to win.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would imagine we have to play our best to win any games this season. I think GWS are still beatable in Melbourne and imagine they will be getting harder and harder to beat at home. I would think we wouldn't be miles behind them in melbourne. I think it's probably a 50/50 match.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:How many so called experts have predicted we wont win a game this year!
Reminds me of your thread from around the same time last year...
WinnersOnly wrote:After browsing the other clubs sites they all expect us to be wooden spooners this year! Why does our list/club appear so poor to general afl population?

Perhaps I am biaised but i look at the 2014 draw and see us possibly winning 10 games - WHY have the opposition supporters written us off as this years competition easy beats?
GWS are brimming with talent entering their prime and could make an absolute mess of us, hopefully we can pull one out of the hat though.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I used be "glass half Full" at the start of the season...then over time after being whacked with the Reality stick you sort of get better at predicting losses. As said earlier , don't come on here after the loss bagging the team,Umpires etc.

Sit back, relax and accept the cold reality :) oh and another #1 pick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I would imagine we have to play our best to win any games this season. I think GWS are still beatable in Melbourne and imagine they will be getting harder and harder to beat at home. I would think we wouldn't be miles behind them in melbourne. I think it's probably a 50/50 match.

Havent seen the odds but the bookies wont get one bet on us if they were the odds but they would inundated for GWS. I would have thought we would be about 2.60 and they would be about 1.55.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I would imagine we have to play our best to win any games this season. I think GWS are still beatable in Melbourne and imagine they will be getting harder and harder to beat at home. I would think we wouldn't be miles behind them in melbourne. I think it's probably a 50/50 match.

Havent seen the odds but the bookies wont get one bet on us if they were the odds but they would inundated for GWS. I would have thought we would be about 2.60 and they would be about 1.55.
Sportsbet says 3.15 / 1.36

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sportsbet says 3.15 / 1.36

Even more one sided than I thought. Nearly good enough to back them.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Educate me please: Have GWS won a game outside NSW/ACT yet? If not, that is a massive monkey to get off their back.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I used be "glass half Full" at the start of the season...then over time after being whacked with the Reality stick you sort of get better at predicting losses. As said earlier , don't come on here after the loss bagging the team,Umpires etc.

Over time? You mean two seasons? From 2003-2012 we won 11 or more games every year (usually more).
But, agreed, the past two years have been cr@pola though ...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Educate me please: Have GWS won a game outside NSW/ACT yet? If not, that is a massive monkey to get off their back.

They beat Brisbane in Brisbane and WB and Dees in Melbourne. All 3 were last year. 2 were out of the last 3 games last year.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

We can always bag the umpires, don't take that away from us.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think the promise of how good GWS can be give them fans. I don't buy potential. We have a chance at winning and should be expecting to win. If the club are writing off games like this internally we won't win a game for a long time. Don't lower standards saints.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I used be "glass half Full" at the start of the season...then over time after being whacked with the Reality stick you sort of get better at predicting losses. As said earlier , don't come on here after the loss bagging the team,Umpires etc.

Over time? You mean two seasons? From 2003-2012 we won 11 or more games every year (usually more).
over time.....35 yrs as a paid up member..not sure how many years before that

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:We can always bag the umpires, don't take that away from us.
............yes of course...what was I thinking...proceed....

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I like the look of our backline. Its certainly is not the future but there is some real toughness, experience and stopping power there. But even if we keep them to a low score, we will badly miss Billings and need someone outside Roo like Saad or Membrey to get off the leash and bag a few and then others chip in like Weller, Steven, Lonie and Templeton. A lot of things have to go right but not impossible. But if we can't at least be somewhat competitive at stoppages then there is no hope.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:

OK fair enough - I was going to see the saints every week throughout the late 70s, 80s too, so I share your experiences. Caught the tail end of the Jeans era - the crap end, and then apart from 78 witnessed bottom two or three finishes right up until 1990.

Still think the era through 97-2012 was pretty good, apart from a few seasons at the turn of century, so I am reasonably optimistic that we will return to the top 4 somewhere around 2020. Not interested in just making up the numbers or finishing ninth.
Oddly enough, what Port have been able to do recently has given me some heart for the future as well.

I do however expect us this year to be as bad as last year and the same in 2016 as well, with the retirements of a few club heroes. I can deal with that if we pick up the next Lockett and Winmar in the draft.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:

OK fair enough - I was going to see the saints every week throughout the late 70s, 80s too, so I share your experiences. Caught the tail end of the Jeans era - the crap end, and then apart from 78 witnessed bottom two or three finishes right up until 1990.

Still think the era through 97-2012 was pretty good, apart from a few seasons at the turn of century, so I am reasonably optimistic that we will return to the top 4 somewhere around 2020. Not interested in just making up the numbers or finishing ninth.
Oddly enough, what Port have been able to do recently has given me some heart for the future as well.

I do however expect us this year to be as bad as last year and the same in 2016 as well, with the retirements of a few club heroes. I can deal with that if we pick up the next Lockett and Winmar in the draft.
We are on the same wave length..maybe I should just shutup and let the youngens learn the hard way :)

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ha ha - Respect!

a lot of the younger ones don't have any understanding of what it was like to not beat sides for a decade - 20+ losses in a row to Hawthorn and Essendon, probably something like 1 or 2 wins out of 20 or more against sides like Carlton, Collingwood, and Geelong, and it just went on and on like that for years, didn't it?
And nothing is as humiliating as having 200+ points kicked against you, especially when the side doing it was ordinary, like the Bulldogs or the Swans, who weren't much better than us at the time.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote:Ha ha - Respect!

a lot of the younger ones don't have any understanding of what it was like to not beat sides for a decade - 20+ losses in a row to Hawthorn and Essendon, probably something like 1 or 2 wins out of 20 or more against sides like Carlton, Collingwood, and Geelong, and it just went on and on like that for years, didn't it?
And nothing is as humiliating as having 200+ points kicked against you, especially when the side doing it was ordinary, like the Bulldogs or the Swans, who weren't much better than us at the time.
Ah, the memories. I remember going to school every Monday and having to put up with 'what happened to StKilda!' and my only comeback was 'they got crapped on. Again.'
Didn't we lose the first three games by over 100 points one year during our golden period 83-86?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:

Ah, the memories. I remember going to school every Monday and having to put up with 'what happened to StKilda!' and my only comeback was 'they got crapped on. Again.'
Didn't we lose the first three games by over 100 points one year during our golden period 83-86?
wining a game in the early 80's was worth celebrating..I remember jumping the fence at Moorabbin and running down the race with the players and into the rooms to celebrate a win against Richmond....we were terrible but I still travelled down there every week...and I live in Tulla...go figure.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
remboy wrote:

wining a game in the early 80's was worth celebrating..I remember jumping the fence at Moorabbin and running down the race with the players and into the rooms to celebrate a win against Richmond....we were terrible but I still travelled down there every week...and I live in Tulla...go figure.
I remember the team getting a standing ovation for losing by four points!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:

We did. One of those games I think we kicked a ton - which meant the opposition kicked a double ton! At least we had plugger kicking bags - and he was a kid then - let's hope that Paddy will be that for us maybe next year. Amazingly we won a game in round 5 that year, I think against Fitzroy at VFL Park.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PJ
SS Life Member

It'll certainly be an interesting day at the footy. If both Monty and Roo play it could be an interesting contest without them we may need some divine intervention.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
PJ
SS Life Member

Hallelujah brothers & sisters!!

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.