Team v GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Team v GWS

B
Cameron Shenton Luke Delaney Sean Dempster
HB
Jarryn Geary Sam Fisher Shane Savage
C
Jack Newnes Luke Dunstan Dylan Roberton
HF
Eli Templeton Nick Riewoldt Ahmed Saad
F
Tim Membrey Josh Bruce David Armitage
FOL
Billy Longer Jack Steven Maverick Weller
I/C
Tom Hickey Tom Lee Leigh Montagna Adam Schneider Tom Curren Jack Lonie Jack Sinclair (Three to be omitted)

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Team v GWS

No Paddy, Acres or Billings...

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:No Paddy, Acres or Billings...
Extremely disappointing. Three of our most talented younger players

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Wow....

On paper, we are going to get touched up pretty badly....

You read thru the names, and I only see maybe 7 or 8 genuine AFL level players.

I hate being overly negative, but geez , it's gonna be a long year :-(

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Wow....

On paper, we are going to get touched up pretty badly....

You read thru the names, and I only see maybe 7 or 8 genuine AFL level players.

I hate being overly negative, but geez , it's gonna be a long year :-(

FQF
SS Life Member

It's a strange squad in a few ways, mostly bad ways.

mambo2706
Club Player

Hope I'm wrong but I doubt Joey will play.

Great to see Roo named. Hope he plays but can totally understand if he's not up for it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
FQF wrote:No Paddy, Acres or Billings...
Extremely disappointing. Three of our most talented younger players

Billings the most disappointing. He is already probably in our best 10 players.

FQF
SS Life Member

It really says a lot about Lonie and Sinclair that they have been picked ahead of Acres, Saunders, Minchinton etc who are all more experienced.

Playon
Club Player

I have to say this is my first doubts on AR, They better win, I don't see some of these selections warranted on form

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Worst team of the year!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
howlinwolf
Club Player

Have faith in our system.
Let's face it, we could field our very best side and still get a spanking.
It's a long journey and we have to trust those at the helm.
Happy times are ahead. We just have to patient. Again.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:I have to say this is my first doubts on AR, They better win, I don't see some of these selections warranted on form
There are probably a number of players like Billings who would be picked , but who are not quite physically right.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

cannot believe that Acres doesn't get a game ahead of saad, Roberton, Shenton, curren and Sinclair

Playon
Club Player

Yeah i get it, but I'm not about to go ahead with naming the why's as I don't see anything good coming from it.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Im pretty dissapointed with some of the selections to be honest. Now before some of you jump down my throat I will say this, Bruce should never be played in the forward line when we have lee, white and Paddy as actual forwards.

I would understand if we had no forward tall options available, but for crying out loud play the players that play forward and who have shown something up their!

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If you look at who is meant to be match fit, it would look to me that they have in the main gone for the more physically mature and experienced players that we do have in the hope that gives them the best chance of winning as the GWS game is certainly one of the few where we would have some hope of winning.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

No McCartin or Goddard. :(

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

A team of goers, but lacking polish.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:It really says a lot about Lonie and Sinclair that they have been picked ahead of Acres, Saunders, Minchinton etc who are all more experienced.
You can't make sweeping statements like that. Saunders is coming back from a hammy tweek. Acres has only played a handful of games and will be a very good player IMO. But perhaps he has a niggle. Perhaps he didn't do something he was asked to do last game around team rules or efforts. Maybe he doesn't have a proper tank yet. He does look a bit slow and maybe they want to see him cover the ground a bit better rather than throw him in against the speedy giants. Acres will be a valuable player capable of reading and setting up the play and they aren't going to take unnecessary risks with him through his early career when he was already injured for a lot of last year.

Does this mean they think Longer is better than Hickey? Or are the nursing Hickey after his injury last year with a long year ahead.

FQF
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:
FQF wrote:It really says a lot about Lonie and Sinclair that they have been picked ahead of Acres, Saunders, Minchinton etc who are all more experienced.
You can't make sweeping statements like that. Saunders is coming back from a hammy tweek. Acres has only played a handful of games and will be a very good player IMO. But perhaps he has a niggle. Perhaps he didn't do something he was asked to do last game around team rules or efforts. Maybe he doesn't have a proper tank yet. He does look a bit slow and maybe they want to see him cover the ground a bit better rather than throw him in against the speedy giants. Acres will be a valuable player capable of reading and setting up the play and they aren't going to take unnecessary risks with him through his early career when he was already injured for a lot of last year.

Does this mean they think Longer is better than Hickey? Or are the nursing Hickey after his injury last year with a long year ahead.
You've focused on the wrong aspect of what I said. I was praising the newbies, not having a go at the others.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

Im amazed Longer was picked ahead of Hickey but would I know. Surely both cannot play. I certainly understand Billings not playing because he missed 4 weeks. Surely one of the worst midfields we have had in many years.

saint6709
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:If you look at who is meant to be match fit, it would look to me that they have in the main gone for the more physically mature and experienced players that we do have in the hope that gives them the best chance of winning as the GWS game is certainly one of the few where we would have some hope of winning.
Makes plenty of sense to me - I don't want to see a not quite fit billings or Acres who maybe needs some time in vfl to sharpen up - or paddy/Goddard who as Richardson says are at the club for a career not a match - let them get ready --- would be surprised to see longer ahead of Hickey if only 1 played

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Im amazed Longer was picked ahead of Hickey but would I know. Surely both cannot play. I certainly understand Billings not playing because he missed 4 weeks. Surely one of the worst midfields we have had in many years.
I agree with two rucks but you would think both playing is a good chance of happening. Two of Hickey/Longer/Lee play. I think Lee misses out and not because I agree just the feeling I get.

The midfield is horrible. I don't see an A grader in the team although Joey was one and Steven has the ability to be one.

wolfpup
Club Player

I think our defense looks good, not sure who else we would add besides wright and gilbert, don't mind the forward line although would love to see the addition of one of mcmartin/lee/white

surprised by acres not being in the team

anyways, still think we are a sniff, it was hickey that turned the game against gws last year as well as eli and dunstan so expecting some lonie and saad magic :)

go saints

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!