Delaney

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

noob
Club Player

Delaney

What does this player offer to be ahead of Hugh Goddard who plays a similar position? Whenever I watch him he just seems lost and slow to react. Late in the last quarter he had a paddock to run forward to and just hand balled it sideways to virtually a 1 on 1 situation. He needs to evolve a attacking side of his game. Just spoiling shouldnt get you a afl game.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delaney

Had his worst game for us today. a shocker.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

has had a few shockers obviously nott a long long term player if keeps going this way. kicking and decision making real issue. hope he gets back to some previous form.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Moods
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:What does this player offer to be ahead of Hugh Goddard who plays a similar position? Whenever I watch him he just seems lost and slow to react. Late in the last quarter he had a paddock to run forward to and just hand balled it sideways to virtually a 1 on 1 situation. He needs to evolve a attacking side of his game. Just spoiling shouldnt get you a afl game.

Have to agree. That piece of play in the last quarter when he had the whole field in front of him said it all. I can handle him getting beat in a few one on ones as the ball comes down pretty quick - however it's not as if he's Maxy Hudghton in those contests either. Haven't seen Goddard play yet, so might be premature to rush him in, but we may need him sooner than he's ready.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He's had a putrid season to date. Unfortunately we have no one else half capable. Hugh needs time.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Gives us absolutely nothin. Can't kick, can't mark, can't run.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Has no awareness in free play

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Got to agree with everything written. It shows a lack of confidence in his own ability. Take the game on and try and do something! Looked very bad.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Hasn't Lee been tried as a defender in the VFA?
Maybe the coaches are grooming him as Delaney's replacement.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Our recruiting sucks here again. He is 194cm tall so not being tall enough is not his fault. Why can't we recruit some tall defenders who can take the opposition talls? Lee is also 194cm but plays small I reckon.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Our recruiting sucks here again. He is 194cm tall so not being tall enough is not his fault. Why can't we recruit some tall defenders who can take the opposition talls? Lee is also 194cm but plays small I reckon.
That's why Goddard was recruited.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

As a defender you need help from the midfield and he didn't get much help from them today.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

LTN16 wrote:As a defender you need help from the midfield and he didn't get much help from them today.
Spot on. I'm not saying Delaney was good or not but when you are losing the clearances the defenders will always struggle,
Last edited by remboy on Sat 25 Apr 2015 5:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Like I said in another thread, whilst our midfield is as understaffed as it is at the moment, you can't make these types of assessments

there's too much supply going into our defence
our key mids are receiving more attention than is reasonable
Our forwards aren't getting enough quality supply

We are looking really good for periods on end... we need to inject 2 quality mids into this team ASAP so that we can remian competitive entire matches and then make calls

gringo
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Like I said in another thread, whilst our midfield is as understaffed as it is at the moment, you can't make these types of assessments

there's too much supply going into our defence
our key mids are receiving more attention than is reasonable
Our forwards aren't getting enough quality supply

We are looking really good for periods on end... we need to inject 2 quality mids into this team ASAP so that we can remian competitive entire matches and then make calls

Agee, too much left to to few. The mids of quality don't get as much help or freedom because there isn't others to spread the load to. Two speedy outside runners who can win their own ball too. Where do we get them from?

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Had a horrid season and must say I have zero confidence in him with a one on one. Cloke destroyed him at times last week and Henderson had his number when they were matched up. If a forward is in bad form all they need is a match up on this guy and 5 goals later they will be laughing
Can't have him one bit

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

noob wrote:What does this player offer to be ahead of Hugh Goddard who plays a similar position? Whenever I watch him he just seems lost and slow to react. Late in the last quarter he had a paddock to run forward to and just hand balled it sideways to virtually a 1 on 1 situation. He needs to evolve a attacking side of his game. Just spoiling shouldnt get you a afl game.
Don't wont to Zac Dawson Hugh.

Legendary
Club Player

We've had a record number of inside 50's against us over the past 2 weeks.

Any defender would struggle with that much of the footy coming back there.

Delaney was outstanding for us last year, and I thought he played pretty well against the Pies.

He's a solid full back - might never be All-Australian, but for the next 3-4 years at least, he's a big body who can take the hits down there.

I remember T. Schwarze playing full back in the GT era. We've had worse...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:has had a few shockers obviously nott a long long term player if keeps going this way. kicking and decision making real issue. hope he gets back to some previous form.
When was that? I must have missed those games.

FQF
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:Our recruiting sucks here again. He is 194cm tall so not being tall enough is not his fault. Why can't we recruit some tall defenders who can take the opposition talls? Lee is also 194cm but plays small I reckon.
Alex Rance is probably the best defender in the league. He's 194 cm.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:

Height certainly isn't the problem. He is an ordinary footballer but so are a few FB. He certainly cant be replaced by Goddard. That would be madness on the young kids mental state. Goddard will play eventually but not in that position.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

Height certainly isn't the problem. He is an ordinary footballer but so are a few FB. He certainly cant be replaced by Goddard. That would be madness on the young kids mental state. Goddard will play eventually but not in that position.
I agree. Just disputing Jacks Back's point that our recruiting was a stuff up because we recruited an undersized FB.

BTW, the whole footy world was in agreement that we urgently needed a ready made FB when we recruited Delaney. There weren't many options available, but one of the others that we overlooked was Joel Tippett who has not done very well at all this year.

Anyway, Delaney is a temporary measure. But then again, FBs often bloom late and there is a chance he will grow in confidence in his attacking game (I think it's clear that it is confidence which is his biggest obstacle. You can see it in the hesitant way he kicks and always looks for an easy handball.) The very reason Rance is an unrestricted free agent despite not playing 10 years is because he is not in Richmond's top 10 earners! Thus, clearly they can bloom late.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think Delaney is going ok.

Decent, ordinary player that has a lot of room for improvement.

Not too many back men can handle their midfield getting absolutely smashed for long periods of the game resulting with record numbers of inside fifties....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Was one of our best last year, rarely beaten until he did his hip.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
LondonSaint
Club Player

First of all.. most full-backs have bags kicked against them.. i'm sure Lockett has kicked 10 against Silvagni.. and many pundits thinks Silvagni played well in that game...

Now, in a bottom side team.. (yes, we were bottom last year), when we concede so many forward entries with little midfield pressure.. even kicking directly to
the opposition in midfield and defensive 50 (Geary, Billings), what chance does a fullback have? especially now the AFL has basically outlawed any body contact/wrestle in a marking contest..

So, a little over reaction here.. yes, Delaney is not a world beater or one of the best full backs in the league.. but he is a good player for us, as demonstrated last year.
He is not our problem.. our problem is we don't have pure mids (experienced or young) to win the ball, spread and deliver to the forward line accurately. Armo, Steven, Montagna, Dunstan, Weller 5, that's it.. and only Montagna, Armo are semi reliable kicks... we'll need 8 in a proper mid-field rotation...