Don't give up on ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Don't give up on ...

Spencer. Still lots of work being put in by the coaches. He definitely hasn't given up either.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Don't give up on ...

tony74 wrote:Spencer. Still lots of work being put in by the coaches. He definitely hasn't given up either.
That switch inside his head is going to have to get switched to overload otherwise he may just join the long line of players who had potential but never realized it.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear this. He looked pretty good on debut last year, but now apparently has McCartin and Membrey in front of him and, of course, Bruce. This may have set back his confidence a bit

spert
Saintsational Legend

FFS, play him in the seniors instead of trying to correct every little nuance and quirk the young guy has- he looked OK on debut last year, seemed ready for senior football and heaven knows we need an X factor tall mobile forward, and Paddy is clearly not ready yet. It's not like he is trying to break in to Hawthorn's senior side after all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well if he makes it others don't. Certainly think McCartin and Bruce are eventually locks. Membery looks ordinary but White looks worse. Seems we still are a tall short which is sad with how many we have recruited in the last 3 years.

And he or the coaches had given up on it then all are no good.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Spencer. Still lots of work being put in by the coaches. He definitely hasn't given up either.
so he's getting selected this week. What gives you the impression that ppl have given up on him?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

No, McKenzie might though.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Certainly think McCartin and Bruce are eventually locks.

Bruce is already a lock. McCartin hasn't shown a lot in the seniors yet, though I hear he did kick four in the reserves. That was encouraging, but so was White's three on senior debut last year

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Certainly think McCartin and Bruce are eventually locks.

Bruce is already a lock. McCartin hasn't shown a lot in the seniors yet, though I hear he did kick four in the reserves. That was encouraging, but so was White's three on debut last year

Yep but there has not been anything but good coming out of McCartin training where as there hasn't been much good said about White. Also White is now in his third year and only got a one year contract. 2+2 equals 4 in this case. Still not having Bruce as a lock yet. Im talking into the future and taking a punt on McCartin because he is the number one pick and we couldn't have got it that wrong.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I think White will make it and Im also very happy with what Ive seen of Membury. No reason going forward that MacCartin Bruce White and Membury cant play together.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:I think White will make it and Im also very happy with what Ive seen of Membury. No reason going forward that MacCartin Bruce White and Membury cant play together.

Well there is because it wouldn't work and not all 4 will make it anyway so it shouldn't be an issue. All of them have a lot of work to do but Membery and White have heaps more work to do.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Yep but there has not been anything but good coming out of McCartin training where as there hasn't been much good said about White. Also White is now in his third year and only got a one year contract. 2+2 equals 4 in this case. Still not having Bruce as a lock yet. Im talking into the future and taking a punt on McCartin because he is the number one pick and we couldn't have got it that wrong.
Yes, it seems White has been shunted to the back of the queue which can't have been good for his confidence.

Bruce is a lock for now because he's the only one of the young potential key forwards who looks comfortable at senior level. Plus he's shown he can take a game by the scruff of the neck, which is no small thing

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:No, McKenzie might though.
I'd love to see McKenzie get selected, but surely at this stage in the careers, Spencer is a better option at Full forward than McCartin. Spencer has already shown that he plays better with better players around him.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:I think White will make it and Im also very happy with what Ive seen of Membury. No reason going forward that MacCartin Bruce White and Membury cant play together.

Well there is because it wouldn't work and not all 4 will make it anyway so it shouldn't be an issue. All of them have a lot of work to do but Membery and White have heaps more work to do.
No s*** two blokes that have what 6 AFL games between have heaps of work to do. You need no get onto a coaching gig.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No s*** two blokes that have what 6 AFL games between have heaps of work to do. You need no get onto a coaching gig.

The reason I said it is because I don't think they will make it. Of course it was obvious. It wasn't supposed to be earth shattering. Thinking all 4 could play on the forward line together probably shows you need a little work on the coaching front. Can I ask why you think they gave White only a one year contract and he still cant train hard enough to get a game?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:Yes, it seems White has been shunted to the back of the queue which can't have been good for his confidence.
Might help his confidence if it looked like he was interested or trying. He looked neither on Sunday against Williamstown. Certainly not the day for forwards and he was not served in any capacity by the mids who played the conditions terribly so he has an excuse for his poor showing in that one game.

BUT...I would expect to see him be more prominent when he is having a dirty day. Really didn't see him run to position and try to get into the game. Lee who was OK early on but looked a bit at sea in the third quarter, at least tried to get into the game by running off his player to create the extra man on at least two occasions in that qtr.

Acres looked to be having a dirty day in qtr 1 but kept hunting the ball and the man with the ball and while it was not a great game he just kept going.

I just saw none of this from Spencer. I am sure he was trying, and he was interested, but maybe just doesn't really have it. Hope he does, and time will tell. He is still only twenty after all.

You are garbage - Enough said
saynta
Saintsational Legend

He's just a boy. Others, better judges than I am , believe he has the ability to make it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Yes, it seems White has been shunted to the back of the queue which can't have been good for his confidence.
Might help his confidence if it looked like he was interested or trying. He looked neither on Sunday against Williamstown. Certainly not the day for forwards and he was not served in any capacity by the mids who played the conditions terribly so he has an excuse for his poor showing in that one game.
Well the club's bought in McCartin and Membrey in front of him, which is hardly a vote of confidence in his future. Still, if he's dropped his head it's a bad sign as he must realise that only runs on the board will help his case

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

He was extremely disappointing at Williamstown on Sunday. Not sure he touched it after qtr time.

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

BUT...I would expect to see him be more prominent when he is having a dirty day. Really didn't see him run to position and try to get into the game. Lee who was OK early on but looked a bit at sea in the third quarter, at least tried to get into the game by running off his player to create the extra man on at least two occasions in that qtr.

Acres looked to be having a dirty day in qtr 1 but kept hunting the ball and the man with the ball and while it was not a great game he just kept going.

I just saw none of this from Spencer. I am sure he was trying, and he was interested, but maybe just doesn't really have it. Hope he does, and time will tell. He is still only twenty after all.
One minute you claim that he looked like he wasn't trying or wasn't interested, the next minute you say you were sure that he was interested and was trying.

Don't sit on the fence now will you, you might get splinters .

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely deserves it too DMac has been fantastic the times I've watched him.

His handful of clangers is disappointing but do you think Blake has done enough to be considered? He is starting to stand out as being too good for VFL but in the same way he has a lot of developing to do also.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Absolutely deserves it too DMac has been fantastic the times I've watched him.

His handful of clangers is disappointing but do you think Blake has done enough to be considered? He is starting to stand out as being too good for VFL but in the same way he has a lot of developing to do also.
I would have thought he was worth a try. Better bet than a couple who get picked every week. Saad, for example. Acres that is.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 30 Apr 2015 5:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint wagga
Club Player

This statement concerns me a little. It's not like Spencer was a top 5 pick. From memory he was taken pick 24...so if he turns out to be a flop, it's not the end of the world...If he can't get in ahead of Membrey and McCartin as previously mentioned on here, as a thrid year player, it's not looking great. I knoe KP forwards take time, but seriously, he should be showing something by now. I mean I really wanted him picked for rd 1, because i thought he as the incumbent from the end of last season showed something and deserved the right to build on that at the ghighest level, but by dropping him and placing him well down the pecking order behind two others with no runs on the board, it's pretty much nail in the coffin type stuff...

So why we would have 'given up' on spencer...Don't think it's given up, more not holding our breath if he doesn't puyll through to become a good player...as a few have mntioned, at least 50% of our youngsters wont actually pull through...the clock is ticking for guys like wright, ross, webster, curren, Minch...how long do we give them before the inevitable 'list cloggers' phrase starts rolling out...if a first year rookie like sinclair just comes in and leapfrogs all those 3rd and 4th year players...not the best sign...just saying.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
This statement concerns me a little. It's not like Spencer was a top 5 pick. From memory he was taken pick 24...so if he turns out to be a flop, it's not the end of the world...If he can't get in ahead of Membrey and McCartin as previously mentioned on here, as a thrid year player, it's not looking great. I knoe KP forwards take time, but seriously, he should be showing something by now. I mean I really wanted him picked for rd 1, because i thought he as the incumbent from the end of last season showed something and deserved the right to build on that at the ghighest level, but by dropping him and placing him well down the pecking order behind two others with no runs on the board, it's pretty much nail in the coffin type stuff...

So why we would have 'given up' on spencer...Don't think it's given up, more not holding our breath if he doesn't puyll through to become a good player...as a few have mntioned, at least 50% of our youngsters wont actually pull through...the clock is ticking for guys like wright, ross, webster, curren, Minch...how long do we give them before the inevitable 'list cloggers' phrase starts rolling out...if a first year rookie like sinclair just comes in and leapfrogs all those 3rd and 4th year players...not the best sign...just saying.
I think Tony's post was in answer to a couple of posters saying that he looked like he had given up the ghost, than anything else.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

One minute you claim that he looked like he wasn't trying or wasn't interested, the next minute you say you were sure that he was interested and was trying.

Don't sit on the fence now will you, you might get splinters .
Maybe you should get off your arse and actually go and watch him instead of casting your high and mighty opinion from afar.

if you know anything about football at this level,which is becoming more and more apparent you dont, every player tries. Does the body language or the fact that he got nowhere near it after qtr time, give the perception of something different? Yes.

When a player is having a bad day you expect that they at least try to have an influence. Hickey was ordinary most of the day, but he put his body in and had a crack more than once with a few Williamstown players. Lee was a bit down but tried to do the team things. I didn't see Spence do that.

Clear enough? Sheesh :roll: :roll:

You are garbage - Enough said