Changes v Bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Changes v Bombers

@AFL_PKeane: StKilda v Ess;
Weller, Webster, Hickey, Acres, McKenzie in for Wright, Saad.
Kavanagh, J Merrett, Fantasia, Langford in for Chapman.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Round 5 team

In
Weller Webster Hickey Acres McKenzie

Out
Saad Wright

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Bombers

Sean Dempster Luke Delaney Jarryn Geary
HB
Shane Savage Sam Fisher Jack Newnes
C
Dylan Roberton David Armitage Jack Sinclair
HF
Jack Billings Josh Bruce Luke Dunstan
F
Daniel McKenzie Tim Membrey Jack Lonie
FOL
Billy Longer Maverick Weller Jack Steven
I/C
Tom Hickey Blake Acres Adam Schneider Tom Curren Jimmy Webster Paddy McCartin Cameron Shenton (Three to be omitted)
IN
Maverick Weller Jimmy Webster Tom Hickey Blake Acres Daniel McKenzie
OUT
Nathan Wright (Omitted) Ahmed Saad (Omitted)
NEW
Daniel McKenzie

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As currently selected, that is a horribly short forward line.

Roo back for the Dogs game we presume?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 30 Apr 2015 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Interesting to see of the new 5 named who plays ?

Weller for Curren
McKenzie for Shenton
Webster for Wright
Hickey for McCartin
Acres for Sinclair (Rest only)

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Interesting to see of the new 5 named who plays ?

Weller for Curren
McKenzie for Shenton
Webster for Wright
Hickey for McCartin
Acres for Sinclair (Rest only)
Saad is already out...so Sinclair stays

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Austinnn
Club Player

Weller and McKenzie have gone straight into the team I see. You'd imagine that Curren might get dropped, but they'll probably keep Schneider for the experience.

Will they go for Hickey and Longer and give McCartin a spell? Will Shenton get another chance or will Webster be deemed ready? Surely they won't both play. Will Acres be the sub?

Interesting game this Sunday, lets hope another blowout can be avoided.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I like the ins. We get a bit of speed in and good ball use in. Can't argue with Saad and Wright out. Newnes takes Wrights running back role if he lines up on HB. Come on Richo - be brave - Shenton, Schneider and Curren out and lets take the game on. WE can't afford to get locked in our back half again - we have to fire shots the other way even if it goes haywire sometimes.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Curren, Shenton, and McCartin the most likely to step aside.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Interesting to see of the new 5 named who plays ?

Weller for Curren
McKenzie for Shenton
Webster for Wright
Hickey for McCartin
Acres for Sinclair (Rest only)[/quote

Saad is already out...so Sinclair stays
True - thats good I love Sinclair!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Curren, Shenton, and McCartin the most likely to step aside.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I like the ins and also the faith/positivity shown towards McKenzie, Sinclair and Lonie by naming them on the ground. I imagine McCartin will be cut tomorrow and that they've named him in the 25 so it's a more low-key demotion when the final team is announced. I also like the fact that Schneider and Shenton have both been put on notice, even if they make the cut. I'd like to see Acres, Hickey, Webster on the bench and Schneider as sub. Curren isn't productive enough in his current role, Paddy is a few years off and Shenton's strengths don't outweigh his 2-3 shocking clangers each week.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:As currently selected, that is a horribly short forward line.

Roo back for the Dogs game we presume?
Roo trained at about 80% Did a few sprints and participated in match simulation. The problem is he missed quite a few sessions earlier this season so he hasn't got a full preparation under his belt. Pulled up ok. Mav will still have another test. Joey trained full on and was doing fast laps at the end with no apparent soreness, surprised he wasn't picked. Minch has a bit of calf tightness but trained. Marksworth was on the track for an hour or so doing fast track work. Both Farren and Seb participated in the match simulation but obviously didn't go full tilt. As did Sippa. Sammy did slow laps and Payney was working his arse off doing fast lap work as well.
And as I said on a previous post Spencer was worked hard and was getting continuous encouragement and advice from both coaches and players. Where and when to run to is his main problem.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Geez I feel for Josh Bruce if McCartin is omitted. Will be a tiny forward line.

Would like Webster to have another run in the twos. Went well but looked like he was spent when he came to the bench.

McKenzie deserves his promotion and would start him in the team ahead of Acres who could be a sub. Having Acres start with would make us a very one paced inside mid brigade with Armo and Dunstan there.

For team balance I would have McCartin left in and McKenzie and Webster (if chosen) in the stating line up. Otherwise we will have a tiny forward setup, and a one paced midfield. the team would look very unbalanced

You are garbage - Enough said
Austinnn
Club Player

tony74 wrote:Spencer was worked hard and was getting continuous encouragement and advice from both coaches and players. Where and when to run to is his main problem.
This is interesting, Tony. A question for you: In terms of his development in that regard, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a noob like Holmes, 10 being a 3rd year AFL footballer, where do you reckon Spencer is? Where would you put McCartin on the same scale, by way of contrast?
Last edited by Austinnn on Thu 30 Apr 2015 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Still no Roo. Brain surgeons who passed him fit to play round 3 should be questioned. It's now cost a month, minimum. So disappointing. The same guys who allowed Montagna to play round 1 I suppose. Wont mention Gilbert. Rookieish at best.

Great to see some young blokes back though. Acres and McKenzie, in particular, aerned their call up.

Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Geez I feel for Josh Bruce if McCartin is omitted. Will be a tiny forward line.

Would like Webster to have another run in the twos. Went well but looked like he was spent when he came to the bench.

McKenzie deserves his promotion and would start him in the team ahead of Acres who could be a sub. Having Acres start with would make us a very one paced inside mid brigade with Armo and Dunstan there.

For team balance I would have McCartin left in and McKenzie and Webster (if chosen) in the stating line up. Otherwise we will have a tiny forward setup, and a one paced midfield. the team would look very unbalanced
If Paddy is out, no doubt Hickey will be in. I agree about Webster, got a feeling its line ball between he and Shenton for the coaches.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Geez I feel for Josh Bruce if McCartin is omitted. Will be a tiny forward line.

Webster has to play, we need his kicking skills desperately, he has had 2 full weeks of match practice plus he had a hand injury and has been running constantly through the rehab so hasn't lost much aerobic fitness. He has to replace Shenton.
Acres for Curren
Hickey for McCartin, Bruce to play permanent forward.
Schneider to play as sub

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

OK so McKenzie a lock to debut.
Nice one. Welcome aboard young fella. 2014 draft looking like a beauty for us.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Austinnn wrote:
tony74 wrote:Spencer was worked hard and was getting continuous encouragement and advice from both coaches and players. Where and when to run to is his main problem.
This is interesting, Tony. A question for you: In terms of his development in that regard, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a noob like Holmes, 10 being a 3rd year AFL footballer, where do you reckon Spencer is? Where would you put McCartin on the same scale, by way of contrast?
Great question. Rather than development I consider it more like a "natural" footballer.
Holmes. 1
Spencer. 6
McCartin. 9
Fisher. 10

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:

Webster has to play, we need his kicking skills desperately, he has had 2 full weeks of match practice plus he had a hand injury and has been running constantly through the rehab so hasn't lost much aerobic fitness. He has to replace Shenton.
Acres for Curren
Hickey for McCartin, Bruce to play permanent forward.
Schneider to play as sub
I thought Shenton was pretty good the last few weeks. Webster hasn't had a break out game yet and I'm worried the hype is getting beyond where he currently sits. He will cop it from the fans if he doesn't live up to expectations. Being up against Essendon first game back might be a tough assignment.

Austinnn
Club Player

tony74 wrote:Great question. Rather than development I consider it more like a "natural" footballer.
Holmes. 1
Spencer. 6
McCartin. 9
Fisher. 10
Thanks mate! Your answer is very illuminating. It certainly answers one side of things. I'm interested in Spencer's progression, so going back to my scale, are you saying that McCartin doesn't need much of a tweak to become as effective as a 10 game vet like Fisher, but Spencer will need much more work?

Plugger66 assumes he'll be cut at season's end because of the nature of his contract extention; how likely is it at this stage that he'll develop sufficiently to be kept on after September? You talked about his sence of where and when to run, does that mean other issues such as his endurance and determination are deemed satisfactory at this stage?

Interesting also that you used Fisher as an example of a natural footballer: do you consider him to be the most natural on our list? It's particuarly interesting due to the nature of his background: wasn't he drafted late, as a 24 year old who was borderline golf pro, or have I got my wires crossed?

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Changes are good ones.
Saad just not getting enough ball and Wrighty just butchering it too much.

All the 'Ins' seem fairly obvious.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Without Rooey, the Hickey/McCartin choice is the key one for Sunday. Can Hickey's height impact the forward line? Can Bruce and Membery be influential enough, or would McCartin add to a more balanced forward set-up?

Acres the Sub.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Love it if all the 5 ins played. By I suspect AR will go soft and only make 2 changes.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.