2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

It might only be May but I thought I might start this thread which we can continually update throughout the season re: 2015 Draft & Trade prospects

If anyone has any inside info about certain draft prospects or would like to update the thread with relevant TAC, SANFL or WAFL player stats as they come to hand be my guest

For any stat info for draft prospects playing in the TAC Cup, SANFL or WAFL they can be found at the links below – stats are usually updated every Monday for games played at the weekends

TAC Cuphttp://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info ... pID=339771 - just choose round and click on match centre for stats

SANFL IGA League (Seniors)http://www.sanfl.com.au/league/statisti ... atistics_/

SANFL IGA League (Reserves) - http://www.sanfl.com.au/league/reserves_stats/

SANFL Macca’s Cup (U18s) - http://www.sanfl.com.au/maccas_cup/u18_stats/

WAFL (Seniors, Reserves and Colts) - http://www.wafl.com.au/live/ - choose round for stats

Right to get it started looking at some future prospects from Victoria (playing TAC Cup) it seems the two players at the top of most experts lists are the 2 Darcys

Darcy Tucker ( North Ballarat Rebels) - Height: 184cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 23/01/1997

Darcy Parish (Geelong Falcons) - Height: 181cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 25/07/1997

Both are midfielders and have been known to also play across half-back – at this stage there doesn’t seem to be much between them as they both have the ability to accumulate plenty of ball and use it well.

Re: Current 2015 TAC stats –

Darcy Tucker (played 3 games – up to Round 6)

Rd 2 – v Geelong – 12KE, 5KIE, 7HE, 2HIE, 11HR, 1CM, 5UM, 7TK, 1FF, 1FA, 2G, 2B, 0HO
Rd 5 – v Calder – 19KE, 5KIE, 12HE, 7HIE, 21HR, 0CM, 6UM, 4TK, 1FF, 2FA, 1G, 1B, 0HO
Rd 6 – v Oakleigh – 5KE, 5KIE, 5HE, 1HIE, 7HR, 0CM, 3UM, 5TK, 2FF, 0FA, 0G, 1B, 0HO

Darcy Parish (played 1 game – up to Round 6)

Rd 2 – v North Ballarat – 9KE, 6KIE, 13HE, 6HIE, 8HR, 1CM, 3UM, 1TK, 0FF, 1FA, 0G, 0B, 0HO

A couple other players (mainly mids) to keep in mind are Jacob Weitering (Mid-Def/Dandenong), Rhys Mathesion (Mid/ Geelong), Ryan Clarke (Mid-Fwd/Eastern), Nicholas O’Kearney (Mid/ Calder), Brayden Fiorini (Mid/Northern), Harley Balic (Mid-Fwd/Sandringham), Jade Gresham (Mid/Northern)

Of course there are plenty of interstaters that will come under the radar though some will not be available to be drafted as they likley to be Academy Picks / Father-Son Picks – Ben Keays (Mid/AP to Gold Coast), Callum Mills (Mid/AP to Sydney), Josh Dunkley (Mid / Father-Son to Sydney), Luke Partington (Mid/Port Adelaide), Callum Ah Chee (Mid-Fwd / South Fremantle), Ryan Burton (Fwd / North Adelaide), Matthew Nunn (Mid/Norwood), Kade Stewart (Mid/South Fremantle), Gregory Clark (Mid/Subiaco)

One player though that is likely to come to St Kilda is Father-Son pick Bailey Rice (son of Dean) who is also eligible to play for Carlton under the Father-Son ruling - Height: 184cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 10/02/1997

So far Bailey is having a standout TAC Cup year as a defensive midfielder for Dandenong Stingrays and could well become a steal for us if we are able to get for a second or third round draft selection (of course he would firstly need to nominate us over Carlton)

His stats in the 2015 TAC Cup thus far (played 5 out of six rounds)

Rd 2 – v Gippsland – 2KE, 1KIE, 1HE, 0HIE, 0HR, 0CM, 1UM, 4TK, 1FF, 0FA, 0G, 0B, 0HO
Rd 3 – v Geelong – 16KE, 2KIE, 3HE, 0HIE, 7HR, 0CM, 6UM, 1TK, 0FF, 0FA, 0G, 0B, 0HO
Rd 4 – v Bendigo – 12KE, 2KIE, 7HE, 2HIE, 8HR, 1CM, 2UM, 3TK, 2FF, 2FA, 0G, 0B, 0HO
Rd 5 – v Queensland – 15KE, 0KIE, 6HE, 1HIE, 8HR, 1CM, 6UM, 7TK, 5FF, 1FA, 0G, 0B, 0HO
Rd 6 – v NWS/ACT – 17KE, 5KIE, 3HE, 2HIE, 5HR, 6CM, 8UM, 2TK, 1FF, 1FA, 0G, 0B, 0HO

Whilst he hasn’t been hitting the scoreboard given his supposed defensive mid role his effective to ineffective kick ration is off the charts - 62 Effective Kicks to 10 Ineffective Kicks

Whilst he is still developing if he turns out to be as good as his father then I would be pretty happy – if anyone has any further information re: his standing /progress it would be great to hear.

For those that are interested also please see below for the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships Fixtures which will be commencing shortly

DIVISION ONE

Round 1
WA v SA - Lathlain Park - Saturday, May 23 - 11am
Vic Metro v Vic Country - Simonds Stadium - Sunday, May 24 - 11am

Round 2
SA v Vic Metro - AAMI Stadium - Saturday, May 30 - 10.45am
WA v Vic Country - Medibank Stadium - Sunday, May 31 - 12pm

Round 3
SA v WA - AAMI Stadium - Saturday, June 6 - 12pm
Vic Country v Vic Metro - Simonds Stadium - Sunday, June 7 - 12pm

Round 4
WA v Vic Metro - Domain Stadium - Saturday, June 13 - 11.20am
SA v Vic Country - AAMI Stadium - Sunday, June 14 - 11am

Round 5
Vic Country v SA - Simonds Stadium - Friday, June 26 - 12.35pm
Vic Metro v WA Simonds Stadium Friday, June 26 2.35pm

Round 6
Vic Metro v SA Etihad Stadium - Wednesday, July 1 - 5.05pm
Vic Country v WA - Simonds Stadium - Thursday, July 2 - 1.15pm

DIVISION TWO

Round 1
NSW/ACT v Tasmania - Gold Coast (venue TBC) - Saturday, June 20 - 10am
Queensland v NT - Gold Coast (venue TBC) - Saturday, June 20 - 12.30pm

Round 2
Tasmania v Queensland - Simonds Stadium - Saturday, June 27 - 12pm
NSW/ACT v NT - Simonds Stadium - Saturday, June 27 - 2.10pm

Round 3
NT v Tasmania - Etihad Stadium - Wednesday, July 1 - 3.05pm
NSW/ACT v Queensland - Simonds Stadium - Thursday, July 2 - 11.05am

Anyway this initial post whilst not overly informative is something I hope others who are interested in the Draft & Trade prospects can add to as the year continues – as any further relevant stats come to hand I will happy to post them – as most people know plenty of draft information can be found over at BF but it would be good to have something here for those who cant be bothered to venture over there.

If we can make this sticky given information may be added continually it would be much appreciated

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

Want Parish, Tucker or Weitering. At this stage I'm not overly interested in any others.

Old Mate wrote:Want Parish, Tucker or Weitering. At this stage I'm not overly interested in any others.
Any particular one you would lean towards?

Thoughts on Rice's prospects and his current good form?

Devilhead wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Want Parish, Tucker or Weitering. At this stage I'm not overly interested in any others.
Any particular one you would lean towards?

Thoughts on Rice's prospects and his current good form?
I'm not over the draft as much this year as in the past but from what I've heard and read I'm leaning towards Parish followed by Weitering then Tucker.

Rice is projected to go mid to late draft - perhaps 3/4 round. I've heard he's more likely to nominate us rather than Carlton, if we show interest, which apparently we are. From all reports he's elite by foot however has shown mainly form outside of the midfield playing on a back flank.

Cheers OM - if we can snag Rice cheaply - 3rd or 4th rounder - it could be a big win for us - given his size, weight, pedigree and improvement it would be something to get excited about

Another mid who is highly thought of, and considered by Knightmare over on big footy to be better than the two Darcys is Ryan Clarke. a 186cm mid/fwd. Same size as Lenny, that cant be bad.

borderbarry wrote:Another mid who is highly thought of, and considered by Knightmare over on big footy to be better than the two Darcys is Ryan Clarke. a 186cm mid/fwd. Same size as Lenny, that cant be bad.
Alas another R Clarke might just be a bit too much for some of our supporters :shock:

borderbarry wrote:Another mid who is highly thought of, and considered by Knightmare over on big footy to be better than the two Darcys is Ryan Clarke. a 186cm mid/fwd. Same size as Lenny, that cant be bad.
Plays for Eastern Ranges - this years TAC Cup stats below

Rd 1 – v Western – 8KE, 7KIE, 16HE, 6HIE, 14HR, 1CM, 7UM, 10TK, 1FF, 0FA, 3G, 1B, 0HO
Rd 2 – v Oakleigh – 6KE, 4KIE, 7HE, 3HIE, 7HR, 0CM, 5UM, 1TK, 1FF, 3FA, 1G, 1B, 1HO
Rd 3 – v Calder – 9KE, 5KIE, 7HE, 6HIE, 10HR, 0CM, 6UM, 4TK, 2FF, 2FA, 2G, 0B, 1HO
Rd 5 – v Sandringham – 9KE, 10KIE, 7HE, 3HIE, 6HR, 1CM, 8UM, 2TK, 1FF, 0FA, 1G, 1B, 0HO

Certainly knows how to get the pill - thought his stats suggest he may not use it as well as some other picks - that said he likes a goal and like Lenny doesnt mind being third man up at ruck contests - one pundit on BF has described him as being tough uncompromising & dominating

Can someone explain to me again why we hired a former Carlton 'scout' ?
They have 17 first round draft picks on their list.
Noone in anyway involved with their recruiting system should be employed anywhere ever again. Not even in the western border football league.
I mean this guy is clearly no rocket scientist. I think we can all agree it is a job for a mate because sure as sh*t it aint on merit.

stjay

Has anyone heard how Lachie Weller is doing at Freo?
From media reports he looks up to his big brother and dreams of lining up next to him one day.
This might be an early call but I have a sneaking suspicion we might see him in Saints colours one day.

stjay

Con Gorozidis wrote:Can someone explain to me again why we hired a former Carlton 'scout' ?
They have 17 first round draft picks on their list.
Noone in anyway involved with their recruiting system should be employed anywhere ever again. Not even in the western border football league.
I mean this guy is clearly no rocket scientist. I think we can all agree it is a job for a mate because sure as sh*t it aint on merit.

Beats me. The impression I got was that he was partly blamed for poor recruiting at Carlton.
Happy to be set correctly on that.
Even still, being associated with Carlton recruiting over the last decade isn't a highlight on your CV I would have thought.

stjay wrote:Has anyone heard how Lachie Weller is doing at Freo?
From media reports he looks up to his big brother and dreams of lining up next to him one day.
This might be an early call but I have a sneaking suspicion we might see him in Saints colours one day.
Weller is playing for Peel Thunder in the WAFL - see below the link to his season stats so far

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/5988

Just click on the plus sign under season statistics to reveal his stats for each game played

Die Hard 7

boneless23

Harley Ballic got BOG for Metro today against Country with 27 possessions.

Rhys Mathieson had 19 for Country.

Both of these look like top 10 picks that we should watch closely!

First we need to ensure we get the lowest possible draft pick.
Carlton and Gold Coast are doing their best to get the number one.

We probably have already won too many games to beat these clubs to number one.
We need to do this in a manner that does not turn out like it did at Melbourne, where the players knew it was preferred if they lost.
Without hope the players never developed.

We have to develop a plan to lose the close games but keep the players performing to their best by giving them the hope of winning.

ace wrote:First we need to ensure we get the lowest possible draft pick.
Carlton and Gold Coast are doing their best to get the number one.

We probably have already won too many games to beat these clubs to number one.
We need to do this in a manner that does not turn out like it did at Melbourne, where the players knew it was preferred if they lost.
Without hope the players never developed.

We have to develop a plan to lose the close games but keep the players performing to their best by giving them the hope of winning.

Why? if we won 10 games doesn't that mean we have a huge amount of potential and may not need a top 3 pick. We wont win 10 of course but my point is we are improving side without having to deliberately lose to maybe get a player who is better than the rest.

Rosco

win 5 or 6, which looks likely, get pick 3 or 4 or 5, and make it count.

stjay

Geez, I hope we get Darcy Parish. He is top-shelf quality.

Con Gorozidis wrote:Can someone explain to me again why we hired a former Carlton 'scout' ?
Maybe we hired him so we know who not to take :wink:

Currently our first pick looks to be somewhere bettween #3 and #7 and so that should be capable of landing a good mid.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 19 Jun 2015 9:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

stjay

saintsRrising wrote:Currently our first pick looks to be somewhere bettween #3 and #7 and so that should be cpable of landing a good mid.
Alot of the clubs below us are in desperate need of KP players which may mean a high quality mid slips through.

My interest in the draft has really ramped up over the past month and I've had the opportunity to see a number of u18 games. If anyone's interested I'll spend a bit of time over the weekend compiling some info on the best players and perhaps a top 20-30 list.

Old Mate wrote:My interest in the draft has really ramped up over the past month and I've had the opportunity to see a number of u18 games. If anyone's interested I'll spend a bit of time over the weekend compiling some info on the best players and perhaps a top 20-30 list.
Great. Look forward to it Old Mate Image

Old Mate wrote:My interest in the draft has really ramped up over the past month and I've had the opportunity to see a number of u18 games. If anyone's interested I'll spend a bit of time over the weekend compiling some info on the best players and perhaps a top 20-30 list.

Yes I would love to see your Big Tips :wink:

Look forward to discussing it with you OM. :D