2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

Jacks Back wrote:
jaxons wrote:2 deals need to happen with other clubs not involving us and that will open up a real chance to nab another young gun from another club that will tie in to our pick 5 & 24.
Possible we give up 5 & 24 for Carlisle, Freeman and young gun.
3 jets with our first 2 picks in a shallow draft.
Would be elite trading if it happens.
I can say the goalposts shift on an hourly basis, so lets wait and see.
Promises to be an interesting 2 weeks coming up that's for sure.
Will do my best to bring it to Saintsational first.
The trade period finishes on Thursday of the second week - just so you know.
Clearly he knows more than you :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
jaxons wrote:2 deals need to happen with other clubs not involving us and that will open up a real chance to nab another young gun from another club that will tie in to our pick 5 & 24.
Thursday 22 October at 2pm – NAB AFL Trade Period Closes.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Thursday 22 October at 2pm – NAB AFL Trade Period Closes.
11 days is closer to 2 weeks than 1 week, hence Jaxons is correct in round terms. If you want to be pedantic then he is out by 3 days.
Clearly you don't like him. :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
I just hope when giving up pick 5 at all consideration is given that we are passing on a potential gun in Mathieson at draft who some have likened to Hodge/Hayes and captain material.....

IF we trade 5 & 24 for Freeman (still to play a game with massive ?) and Carlisle (not worth 5 - mid teens at best) and the young gun turns out to be Hrovat from the Dogs then I reckon we've missed a gem at the draft....

Mathieson will be an A grade mid according to those astute draft observers...
The other one I read we were into was Tomlinson from GWS who is a big unit at 193 but apparently he's looking at other clubs. The other risk with trading these guys in on big coin rather than going to the draft is how it affect the current players. How would Dunstan feel if he's been getting himself knocked out for the Saints for the last two years and Freeman comes in, who's barely played an AFL game, at triple his salary? I'm not saying that rules him out but it is another element to consider.

These kids coming in through the draft are bonding because they are in the same boat. They are on the same standard wages and will probably go up in similar in increments. They are all in it together. There are risks with trading in players on big money that it wil disrupt team unity.

And like you say Teffers, there is a risk that we are giving up a Hodge or Judd with pick 5. You just hope they are weighing it all up with a cold, hard, rational mind and making well considered decisions. Richo urgent desire to play finals he has spoken about worries me that it will cloud the long term vision. WE still a lot more genuine talent if we are to win that flag and not fall short at the ultimate hurdle again.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If Mathieson is so good how will he still be available at pick 5?

If he is the second coming of Luke Hodge he will almost certainly be gone before we get a pick. Hodge was a pick 1. Surely Essendon or the GC will want him?

A month back everyone was saying Parish was the greatest small player since Bobby Skilton.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Teflon wrote:
I just hope when giving up pick 5 at all consideration is given that we are passing on a potential gun in Mathieson at draft who some have likened to Hodge/Hayes and captain material.....

IF we trade 5 & 24 for Freeman (still to play a game with massive ?) and Carlisle (not worth 5 - mid teens at best) and the young gun turns out to be Hrovat from the Dogs then I reckon we've missed a gem at the draft....

Mathieson will be an A grade mid according to those astute draft observers...

The other one I read we were into was Tomlinson from GWS who is a big unit at 193 but apparently he's looking at other clubs. The other risk with trading these guys in on big coin rather than going to the draft is how it affect the current players. How would Dunstan feel if he's been getting himself knocked out for the Saints for the last two years and Freeman comes in, who's barely played an AFL game, at triple his salary? I'm not saying that rules him out but it is another element to consider.

These kids coming in through the draft are bonding because they are in the same boat. They are on the same standard wages and will probably go up in similar in increments. They are all in it together. There are risks with trading in players on big money that it wil disrupt team unity.

And like you say Teffers, there is a risk that we are giving up a Hodge or Judd with pick 5. You just hope they are weighing it all up with a cold, hard, rational mind and making well considered decisions. Richo urgent desire to play finals he has spoken about worries me that it will cloud the long term vision. WE still a lot more genuine talent if we are to win that flag and not fall short at the ultimate hurdle again.

Trading players in on big money or retaining players by paying top dollar are how you condemn a generation to missing out on a premiership just as we did around the end of the naughties (paying top dollar, more than 60% of the salary cap to 10 players).
Trading players in on low money is how Hawthorn has stayed in contention, won three successive premierships and has prospects of many more premierships.
They are able to continue to fit more elite players under their salary cap than any other club.

Free agency and greater player mobility has condemned the competition to two types of clubs.
Clubs where players maximize their pay never winning a flag and clubs where players want to win premierships so collectively all accept significantly less than their open market value.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Brett Anderson ‏@BrettAndersonIF
Plenty of murmurings about Lachie Weller wanting a move to Victoria. Freo and his manager adamant there is nothing in it. #TradeSENtral

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Would love to get lachie.

Something tells me those two brothers together would be an absolutely dynamic force. They'd drive each other to a higher level playing in the same team I reckon. There is no doubting mavs work ethic and discipline and this ethic combined with lachies skill and the passion of playing and winning together would be immense.

#1 Ryder fan
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

apparently Tadg Kenelly had nothing to do with the new Irish recruit choosing Sydney
THE SYDNEY Swans won a three-way bidding war with St Kilda and Essendon to secure the services of Irish teen sensation Colin O'Riordan.

The 19-year-old was paraded before the media at the NAB AFL Draft Combine on Sunday, and AFL international academy manager Tadhg Kennelly said the County Tipperary product had faced a tough decision on his future.

Kennelly insisted he didn't cajole his compatriot into picking his former club and said the star Gaelic footballer's decision came down to "preference".

"He spent a day at the Swans, Saints and Bombers and they were jumping all over him as soon as they saw him," Kennelly told AFL.com.au.

"He decided at the end of the day Sydney was the best fit for him and I'm delighted, being a former Swan.

"It's no surprise really the way he conducts himself and his character, he's a real Sydney footballer."

While he's ecstatic to receive an AFL contract, O'Riordan says it might take time to get used to wearing the Swans colours.

"I grew at home hating the red and white because it's (rival county) Cork," he joked.

"The second I stepped foot in Sydney I absolutely loved the place, the people there and the atmosphere, it was just something else."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-11/s ... -sensation

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Been said before - but what about we send pick 5 to Freo for Weller and pick 16.
Freo send pick 5 to GWS for McCarthy.
Pick 16 to Essendon for Carlisle.
Pick 24 for Freeman.
Freo send their pick 35 + Zac Clarke to Gold Coast for Bennell.

We end up with Weller, Carlisle, Freeman. We then use live pick 42 in the draft on a kid (best available).

rodrocket
Club Player

Well the choice seems to me to be between keeping Pick 5 (clubs best rated player), or trading it for Weller and 2nd pick from Freo. So who do we rate higher eg Mathieson or Weller. Probably Mathieson as Bains wants to keep Pick 5.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Rumour is we will trade 5 and 24 for an inside 10 and mid teens
Hope is mathi still there at under 10 and mid teens used on JC
Interesting times

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Rumour is we will trade 5 and 24 for an inside 10 and mid teens
Interesting times
Adelaide will have 9 and 13.
We send them 5 and 24. This means Adelaide can pick up either Francis or Milera with pick 5.
13 goes to Essendon for Carlisle. We also swap 42 for 41.
We use 9 on a kid (or Weller).
We use 41 on Freeman.

OR

Freo send GWS 16 for McCarthy.
We send GWS 5 + 24 for 8 + 16.
16 for Carlisle.
We use 8 on a kid in the draft and 42 on Freeman.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 11 Oct 2015 6:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Another mid who is highly thought of, and considered by Knightmare over on big footy to be better than the two Darcys is Ryan Clarke. a 186cm mid/fwd. Same size as Lenny, that cant be bad.
Plays for Eastern Ranges - this years TAC Cup stats below

Rd 1 – v Western – 8KE, 7KIE, 16HE, 6HIE, 14HR, 1CM, 7UM, 10TK, 1FF, 0FA, 3G, 1B, 0HO
Rd 2 – v Oakleigh – 6KE, 4KIE, 7HE, 3HIE, 7HR, 0CM, 5UM, 1TK, 1FF, 3FA, 1G, 1B, 1HO
Rd 3 – v Calder – 9KE, 5KIE, 7HE, 6HIE, 10HR, 0CM, 6UM, 4TK, 2FF, 2FA, 2G, 0B, 1HO
Rd 5 – v Sandringham – 9KE, 10KIE, 7HE, 3HIE, 6HR, 1CM, 8UM, 2TK, 1FF, 0FA, 1G, 1B, 0HO

Certainly knows how to get the pill - thought his stats suggest he may not use it as well as some other picks - that said he likes a goal and like Lenny doesnt mind being third man up at ruck contests - one pundit on BF has described him as being tough uncompromising & dominating
Yeah I quite like the look of him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Interesting times
Adelaide will have 9 and 13.
We send them 5 and 24. This means Adelaide can pick up either Francis or Milera with pick 5.
13 goes to Essendon for Carlisle. We also swap 42 for 41.
We use 9 on a kid (or Weller).
We use 41 on Freeman.

OR

Freo send GWS 16 for McCarthy.
We send GWS 5 + 24 for 8 + 16.
16 for Carlisle.
We use 8 on a kid in the draft and 42 on Freeman.
think the GWS has the picks we want to ensure mathiseson doesn't slip apparently hes very highly rated by the club.....I was hoping for some outside speed/carry like Parish but he wont get past 3-4.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodrocket wrote:Well the choice seems to me to be between keeping Pick 5 (clubs best rated player), or trading it for Weller and 2nd pick from Freo. So who do we rate higher eg Mathieson or Weller. Probably Mathieson as Bains wants to keep Pick 5.
Weller out of contract in 12 months, could we get him easier and cheaper then?

“Yeah….nah””
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Out of contract sounds appealing if he REALLY wants to come to the saints and nominates us as preferred club
However 12 months time could change things dramatically
Lyon could not play him and hinder his development ~ a bonus for us cost wise
Or his worth could sky rocket

Seeya
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:apparently Tadg Kenelly had nothing to do with the new Irish recruit choosing Sydney
THE SYDNEY Swans won a three-way bidding war with St Kilda and Essendon to secure the services of Irish teen sensation Colin O'Riordan.

The 19-year-old was paraded before the media at the NAB AFL Draft Combine on Sunday, and AFL international academy manager Tadhg Kennelly said the County Tipperary product had faced a tough decision on his future.

Kennelly insisted he didn't cajole his compatriot into picking his former club and said the star Gaelic footballer's decision came down to "preference".

"He spent a day at the Swans, Saints and Bombers and they were jumping all over him as soon as they saw him," Kennelly told AFL.com.au.

"He decided at the end of the day Sydney was the best fit for him and I'm delighted, being a former Swan.

"It's no surprise really the way he conducts himself and his character, he's a real Sydney footballer."

While he's ecstatic to receive an AFL contract, O'Riordan says it might take time to get used to wearing the Swans colours.

"I grew at home hating the red and white because it's (rival county) Cork," he joked.

"The second I stepped foot in Sydney I absolutely loved the place, the people there and the atmosphere, it was just something else."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-11/s ... -sensation
What sort of character do Saints players have?
I hope his career at Sydney is as successful as Tommy Walsh.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd be stoked if we ended up with Carlisle, Freeman, Clarke, Rice and Sinclair from our current draft picks. I think Clarke could be better for us than Mathieson; suits our needs moreso than another ferocious but scrappy inside mid.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Interesting times
JC? With our luck even He wouldn't make a difference. He might also be a very naughty boy.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Interesting times
JC? With our luck even He wouldn't make a difference. He might also be a very naughty boy.
Essendon want keys to Damascus

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Combine wrap: Rioli sizzles, academy prospect Kennedy stars

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-11/c ... nedy-stars

Who did well?
Daniel Rioli was this year's standout performer. The Northern Territory forward, who moved to Victoria and has played with North Ballarat in the TAC Cup, showed a mix of endurance and speed that saw his draft stocks rise. Rioli, whose father is a cousin to Hawthorn premiership star Cyril, came equal second in the 20-metre sprint (recording a time of 2.89 seconds) and won the 30-metre repeat sprints with a highly regarded score of 24.15 seconds. He placed in the top-10 for the vertical jump and clean hands test, and also ran to level 14.6 in the beep test. Rioli performed well for the NT during the mid-year carnival and again last week for the Allies in the Grand Final curtain-raiser, but his impressive few days at the combine have him well in the mix as a second-round draft pick.

Wayne Milera has also shot up as a possible top-10 pick due to his class and pace (he finished seventh in the repeat sprints test) while Jade Gresham's smarts and craftiness with the ball have him as a first-round contender. Gresham was one of four winners of the goalkicking test and also placed highly in the other kicking and handballing skills tests.

Playon
Club Player

Herald Sun

ESSENDON wants draft pick No. 5 for Jake Carlisle and has promised to send the star defender to St Kilda when the AFL trade period opens at 10am on Monday if the Saints deliver.

The Bombers are building a draft bonanza as they replenish their list under new coach John Worsfold and should finish the exchange period with four picks inside 25 — their strongest position in draft history.

Essendon — which already holds picks four and 23 — is confident of landing Melbourne’s pick 25 for Jake Melksham and is determined to prise No. 5 from the Saints.

The Bombers — excluded from the first two rounds of the 2013-14 drafts as part of sanctions over the supplements saga — have not had four picks in the top-25 since 1998.

They have activated just five top-25 selections since 2009.

The clubs could be headed for an impasse with the Saints last week hesitant to part with No. 5 but Dons list chief Adrian Dodoro told the Herald Sun on Sunday a pick later in the first round would not satisfy.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7565174697

I'd hope the saints say - stuff you take this or else... is he really that important?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If Mathieson is so good how will he still be available at pick 5?

If he is the second coming of Luke Hodge he will almost certainly be gone before we get a pick. Hodge was a pick 1. Surely Essendon or the GC will want him?

A month back everyone was saying Parish was the greatest small player since Bobby Skilton.
That depends - Petracca was Judd last year and we took Paddy for needs.
2 talls at 1 and 2 seem universally required so it doesn't necessarily mean cause a player plays 'like' a named player they must be drafted at 1.
I personally washoping for a more run.....think we need it..
Hawks I gues don't have fast midfield but do have speed around ground Hill etc

“Yeah….nah””