2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

Any sort of update on Bailey Rice? Seems like silence coming out of both the saints and the blues on Special Fried Rice

joeyjohnw
Club Player

-Give port pick 5 for 10 and Aaron Young
-Pick 10 to essendon for Carlisle
-pick 24 for Freeman
Give up 5 and 24
Get Freeman, Carlisle, and Young

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joeyjohnw wrote:-Give port pick 5 for 10 and Aaron Young
-pick 24 for Freeman
Give up 5 and 24
Why bend over for Carlisle and Freeman?

They are not worth that much. No where near it

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

joeyjohnw wrote:-Give port pick 5 for 10 and Aaron Young
-pick 24 for Freeman
Give up 5 and 24

That's way overs for Young to me, he is a fringe player with very average stats. I wouldn't do that for Freeman and his potential is much higher IMO. A five pick upgrade in a very shallow draft isn't a great deal for us.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The travel bit is all bullshyte aimed at eeking out more dosh

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
the dome
Club Player

Hold Pick 5

Does anyone here rate Jay Clarke from the Hearld Sun? He was the one that tweeted possibly Billings for Carlisle.
And in a Q&A today someone asked him who the Saints would have to give up if they were going to keep pick 5 and get Carlisle and he said Acres.

He can't be serious can he?
Like the gentleman who owns that sorry pamphlet Jay cannot be taken seriously.
Commentators like Jay have nothing too lose with such random ill- considered remarks but from a developing club's view we do indeed have an awfull lot to lose. I think Jake will want to come to St.K for undeniable financial reasons (3.5 million I've heard) but throwing away Pick 5 would hurt our rebuild too much.
I firmly believe that we are on the brink of making a seriously big positive contribution to our 'growing' mid-field stocks. If the recruiters have done their due diligence they have to be looking at the possibility that there may be lurking another potential Lenny Hayes (for instance) at Pick 5 and we could really do with that type of injection. We have to get Carlisle outside a Pick 5 swap if we're considering spending so big.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would do a trade with a team with a pick around 10 -14, and their 2nd round pick. Give the 2nd round pick to Essendon, and Collingwood our third. Go to the draft with the pick from 10=14,aand 24.

ripplug66
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I would do a trade with a team with a pick around 10 -14, and their 2nd round pick. Give the 2nd round pick to Essendon, and Collingwood our third. Go to the draft with the pick from 10=14,aand 24.

I doubt we have any hope of getting Carlisle and freeman for those picks without something else added.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Channel 7 reporting Carlton have cooled on Carlisle and he is saints bound...for next years first rounder

Personally feel a first rounder in any year is overs for Carlisle and would be really disappointed if true

As I keep saying he is ooc and openly wants out. If 7 is right it is now basically a 1 horse race. We need to go hard here...this concept of a 'fair trade' really erks me because what is the definition of fair under the circumstances?? I'd say 2nd rounder max! Seriously otherwise go get a better offer elsewhere Essendon

#1 Ryder fan
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote:Channel 7 reporting Carlton have cooled on Carlisle and he is saints bound...for next years first rounder

Personally feel a first rounder in any year is overs for Carlisle and would be really disappointed if true

As I keep saying he is ooc and openly wants out. If 7 is right it is now basically a 1 horse race. We need to go hard here...this concept of a 'fair trade' really erks me because what is the definition of fair under the circumstances?? I'd say 2nd rounder max! Seriously otherwise go get a better offer elsewhere Essendon
Think the reporrt was that Essendon are open to next years first rounder, didn't say Saints agreed to it.

You are garbage - Enough said
ace
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Channel 7 reporting Carlton have cooled on Carlisle and he is saints bound...for next years first rounder

Think the reporrt was that Essendon are open to next years first rounder, didn't say Saints agreed to it.
Essendon will take what we give them.
Otherwise he goes into the pre season draft and Essendon get nothing.

Maybe Essendon will accept a trade that involves us giving them back Andrew Lovett.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Maybe Essendon will accept a trade that involves us giving them back Andrew Lovett.

This!

Exactly my thoughts. The pies the same.

For all we know next years first rounder could easily be better positioned than this years eg we may be bottom 4 / bottom 2

#1 Ryder fan
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

2nd rounder for Carlisle, third rounder for Freeman( what can they expect when his own coach trash talks him on the way out the door)

Nee!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
ace wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

2nd rounder for Carlisle, third rounder for Freeman( what can they expect when his own coach trash talks him on the way out the door)
and then decided to apologise to him

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I'd like to think pick 5 is off the table. From what the club has been saying for 2+ years is that they want as many 1st round picks as possible. Pick 5, Carlisle and Freeman gives us another 3 first round players into the club.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I'd like to think pick 5 is off the table. From what the club has been saying for 2+ years is that they want as many 1st round picks as possible. Pick 5, Carlisle and Freeman gives us another 3 first round players into the club.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:I'd like to think pick 5 is off the table. From what the club has been saying for 2+ years is that they want as many 1st round picks as possible. Pick 5, Carlisle and Freeman gives us another 3 first round players into the club.
Carlisle was drafted at pick 24

saint4life
suss
Club Player

Hypothetical: would anyone swap pick 5 for Aish?

I will be filthy if we use it on Carlisle (and I don't think we will) but if we need a high talent mid, I'd be partial to this trade.

At least Brisbane would get a high pick for him - better than the garbage pick Collingwood are offering.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
matrix wrote:So Lake hasn't been given a contract renewal and will retire.
You reckon the hawks will now sniff around Carlisle?
Hale and Lake have retired, so that will free up some cap space.
Hawthorn wouldn't pay him as much as we would allegedly pay him but they can pay him in premierships.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Playon wrote:
matrix wrote:So Lake hasn't been given a contract renewal and will retire.
You reckon the hawks will now sniff around Carlisle?
Hale and Lake have retired, so that will free up some cap space.
Hawthorn wouldn't pay him as much as we would allegedly pay him but they can pay him in premierships.

So can we.

:shock:

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Vazelos
Club Player

Finnis on SEN conveyed a reluctance to trade Pick 5.
Re Aaron Young from someone on the inside at Port said he was a " super person & a talent."
A Half Forward with stints on the ball.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

chook23 wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:I'd like to think pick 5 is off the table. From what the club has been saying for 2+ years is that they want as many 1st round picks as possible. Pick 5, Carlisle and Freeman gives us another 3 first round players into the club.
Ahh... All the more reason to keep pick 5.

uptheboys
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:
chook23 wrote:
Surely what pick a player was drafted 4 years ago shouldn't have an impact on his value now?

ripplug66
Club Player

uptheboys wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:
chook23 wrote:
Surely what pick a player was drafted 4 years ago shouldn't have an impact on his value now?

Fyffe should be an easy pick up then. I worry about Watts getting the number one pick if he is traded. Of course it means nothing at all after about a year or two.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

How Pick 5 could net us Freeman and Carlisle, keep us in the draft from the second round onwards and create an "everyone wins" (all things considered) scenario.

Deal one:
St Kilda: Freeman, 7 and 26 (gives 5 and 24)
Collingwood: 5 and 24 (gives 7 and 26)

Deal two:
GWS: 5 and 24 (gives Adam Treloar)
Collingwood: Adam Treloar (gives 5 and 24)

Deal three:
Port: Charlie Dixon (gives 10 and 29)
St Kilda: 10 and 29 (gives 7)
Gold Coast: 7 (gives Charlie Dixon)

Deal four:
St Kilda: Jake Carlisle and 23 (gives 10 and 29)
Essendon: 10 and 29 (gives Jake Carlisle and 23)

==================================
That values each player at the following
Freeman: Swap of high draft picks (third rounders could also be swapped)
Treloar: Top five pick + top 25 pick (GWS will surely push for this)
Dixon: Top seven pick (apparently Port's pick 10 won't be enough)
Carlisle: Pick in the 12-15 range (hence St Kilda getting 23 after giving 29)
===================================

That means we'd basically swap pick 5 for Freeman, Carlisle and pick 23. Our next pick in the draft would be Pick 26.

Much as I want to keep pick 5, I think there's merit in discussing it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.