Sunday Confession: Post here if you felt like doing a runner

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Sunday Confession: Post here if you felt like doing a runner

Yes, I confess the thought more than crossed my mind. I went and reflected over a costly, flat beer at half-time and wisely returned to witness the resurrection.

Even the good wife said (after the game) she would have gone had I made the suggestion. The daughter just watched music videos on her phone while the turnaround continued.

Given we arrived early and did some shopping I confess that "let's go shopping" had been ruled out as an excuse to bolt.

I spoke with plenty of Saints after the game who confessed to having similar, sinful thoughts.

So cleanse your sole, confess on this thread and all will be forgiven. Just buy a Saints pet membership for your dog or cat as you leave :D .

Saint supporter since '62
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sunday Confession: Post here if you felt like doing a ru

At half time was considering three quarter time exit (I had my nearly 3 yr old with me and he struggles to last the whole game). Little Miss 10 yr old even said we could leave at half time - I said no way, we will make a comeback of sorts. Never in my wildest dreams did I consider a two goal three qtr time deficit!

We lasted until the end. Little one was screaming on the ground but had to wait - game was too good. Miss 10 yr old got flattened by a bloke behind us who toppled over as Brucey took the final mark before the siren. Plenty of tears, a bruised leg and quick visit to St. John's and all was good!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Yes I felt like doing a runner.

I was sitting there like there was no answer to what I was looking at right in front if me. About half way through I was nearing breaking point and thought I should leave, but I didn't and rode it out the whole way.

And that is the story of how I missed yesterdays game because I was sitting a test at university...had to be that game didn't it :evil:

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:At half time was considering three quarter time exit (I had my nearly 3 yr old with me and he struggles to last the whole game). Little Miss 10 yr old even said we could leave at half time - I said no way, we will make a comeback of sorts. Never in my wildest dreams did I consider a two goal three qtr time deficit!

We lasted until the end. Little one was screaming on the ground but had to wait - game was too good. Miss 10 yr old got flattened by a bloke behind us who toppled over as Brucey took the final mark before the siren. Plenty of tears, a bruised leg and quick visit to St. John's and all was good!
That is such a beautiful story SP :P You are really training Master nearly 3yr old & Miss 10 yr old in true Saints hang in there, miracles may happen, tradition.

Who knows many years down the track, your two little Sainters may one day post their memories of this day on Saintsational :wink:

A truly lovely family story...luved it matey :D :D :D :D :D

spiral3
Club Player

didn't do a runner but wandered down to the livewire bar for a couple of bevvies and a relaxing indoor chat at half time and stayed on
allowed the kid to run free a bit too
kept an eye on the big screens and swanned back into the arena for the last 10mins of ecstasy! :)
didn't see the comeback coming but did think we couldn't have played much worse than we did in the 2nd, so there was a lot of room for improvement!
great fun at the end :)

aaron82
Club Player

Discussed with a couple of others should we head to the mail exchange for cheaper beers and a look at the horses. Decided we'd stick on as might see a few young players show something. Didn't expect that much! Thought we were going to throw it away when we started keepings off with 2 mins 50 still left

and that's the bottom line
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Was outside Metricon waiting with the other parents and kids who were gonna be playing at halftime. Had checked the qtr time score and it was ok. Checked at halftime and loked at my phone stunned. Said to a couple of dads that my Saints were getting smashed. Into the ground about half hour. Looked at score Sts only 18 pts down! Hmm.

Checked again. Dogs back out to 24 pts. Walked around with the wife and kids. Had a coffee. Score check - 11 pts down, about halfway through the last. Kept updating on Footy Live app. 5 pts down...watched the screen, willing the boys to get ahead. Finally...87-86! 6 mins or so left. Got excited and telling my wife and random strangers lol. Another goal! Finally full time and we win! Told a few people about it and they were amazed as ther knew the earlier margin. Very pumped!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I texted a mate who was coming at half time, telling him I wouldn't bother coming if I were you.

He texted back, "too late, I'm on my way."

If he hadn't I would have bolted for sure and missed one of the best comebacks I'm ever likely to see. We were deadset gone.

Doctor Two
Club Player

Feared that we might suffer a blow-out prior to the match so had my contingency plan. Took my I-pad, availed myself of the free wi-fi and multitasked. By half time I had half tuned out.

Fortunately my daughter had gone off to sit with one of her friends who supported the Bulldogs so I was trapped at the ground. Witnessed the marvellous resurrection.

As an aside could not believe how soft some of the Bulldog supporters were> As soon as we got 1 point up a whole lot of them fled. Could not believe it

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:At half time was considering three quarter time exit (I had my nearly 3 yr old with me and he struggles to last the whole game). Little Miss 10 yr old even said we could leave at half time - I said no way, we will make a comeback of sorts. Never in my wildest dreams did I consider a two goal three qtr time deficit!

That is such a beautiful story SP :P You are really training Master nearly 3yr old & Miss 10 yr old in true Saints hang in there, miracles may happen, tradition.

Who knows many years down the track, your two little Sainters may one day post their memories of this day on Saintsational :wink:

A truly lovely family story...luved it matey :D :D :D :D :D
They are great kids - drive me nuts often though lol!
I said to my daughter she will always remember the game and wasn't it worth going. She said we could've watched it on TV without any injuries. Fair point I guess.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I joked about should have stayed home to mow the lawn at half time but I am really enjoying going this year no matter the score. I go with such low expectations that I almost can't be disappointed. I just love watching the talented kids do their little bits of magic. The last few years has been tough without a lot of talent to watch. God bless the likes of Geary, Shenton, Ross and Newnes who have been working hard to develop and sometimes do some nice stuff. But balloon kicks just don't do it for me. Watching Billings magic, Lonie beautiful passes, Dunstan trying to drill the ball hard and flat with his kicks (and screwing up some times for sure), Webster's incisive passing, Sinclairs ruthlessness n front of goal is just great. Can't wait for McCARtin, Acres, Goddard to come in. And then next year some more raw talent!

And then you have a game like yesterday and its all just cream. Even up on L3 the saints supporters were making huge noise. Days like yesterday are why you go to the footy. It was a magical day. But even if we are 50 points down as long as I'm seeing the young talent on display I'm happy.

in for the long haul
Club Player

Sad to say we left at half time at my suggestion. Gutted! :cry:

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

in for the long haul wrote:Sad to say we left at half time at my suggestion. Gutted! :cry:
Three Hail Marys and an upgrade in membership, My Son! :P

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I felt something..had nothing to do with leaving though :)

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

in for the long haul wrote:Sad to say we left at half time at my suggestion. Gutted! :cry:
Has anyone told you how it finished.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nope.

I even tweeted we'd kick the next 5 after half time.

Not quite how if played out, but just had a feeling we'd come back.

It's like we'd absorbed the worst of it and went pow.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ironic username ;)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bought two pots of overpriced beer in the AFL Members Bar.

Mate returned shout.

Third Quarter started and we headed back to our seats. Never thought about leaving.

Didn't expect to win; just hoped the boys would fight back.

Absolutely stoked.

Best game for a long, long time

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Your not the same bloke I saw on the plane home from Sydney who left half time from the game That Lockett turned the game around and we won..are you ? :)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Bought two pots of overpriced beer in the AFL Members Bar.

Mate returned shout.

Third Quarter started and we headed back to our seats. Never thought about leaving.

Absolutely stoked.

Best game for a long, long time Image
I lost interest but thought to stick it out..I was with a doggie mate who was keen to have a beer after the game. Lucky he wanted that beer :)

PS beer prices..Heinekin...$9.50 a pot at the pub across from Spencer st station. :shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Never looked like leaving. have some courage.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

7 year old wanted to leave at half time.
After a kick out on the concourse and a leisurely stroll back to the seats he stayed.
We left his flag in the car and he wanted me to go back and get it, I told not to worry about it we only kicked 2 goals to 1/2 time, we don't need it today…
Also tried something at 1/2 time, we swapped seats to change luck, obviously it did the trick…
He had more faith than me in the 3rd quarter

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:Bought two pots of overpriced beer in the AFL Members Bar.

Mate returned shout.

Absolutely stoked.

Best game for a long, long time Image

Come clean Doc, you wanted to go but you were waiting for your mate to shout again :D

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Couldn't get to the game, due to poorly timed wedding reception and youngest kid at a party. Watching on the box, at the start of the third quarter, the depressed 8yo asked if he could abandon and play on the computer.

He hated me for the next few minutes after I said no (followed by a fairly sanctimonious and mostly uninspiring lecture on loyalty even on the crappy blowout days).

He won't forget that comeback, ever. And the bride and groom will forgive our tardiness, eventually ...

Always loyal
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If I was on my own maybe, but my son never gave up hope and I never leave early when he's with me. He always reckons we're a chance. Gotta love the positivity and optism of youth. He just sat and barracked and supported his beloved Sainters and they didn't let him down :D