2015 Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

boneless23
Club Player

2015 Draft

I know many of us will be keeping up to date with the 2015 Draft Class as this will be another vital intake of talent to build on the quality we have drafted in recent years.

The U/18 championships are about to start but there have already been some kids stand out in the TAC Cup and the AFL Academy games against the Northern Blues and Werribee.

The early favourite for Number 1 is a CHB prospect by the name of Jacob Weitering. I watched both games and he convincingly beat Matt Watson and Majak Daw and at 195cm still has a lot of growing to do. If we finish 18th, then we would probably look to take the best available talent which at this early stage looks to be him. He kicks the ball really well and is super strong in the air and is the protoype of a modern defender who can beat his man and run off him to cause damage.

The midfield group in this draft looks to be really strong and we will get access to a quality young mid if we dont trade away our first pick for a Treloar/Sheil type of player. Some of the mids that look elite are:
- Darcy Parish (Inside/Outside mid)- can win his own ball and break the lines. He broke his thumb against the Blues but will be back for some of the Championship games,
- Rhys Mathieson (Bigger Inside Mid)- was all the rage this time last year but has dropped down a bit due to a few injuries at the start of the year. Has posted big TAC numbers lately including a 36 possession, 4 tackle, 2 goal performance against the Cannons on the weekend.
- Callum Ah Chee (Forward, Mid) super quick mid, high half forward with elite skillls. Took the hanger that was in the all papers a few weeks ago,
- Harley Balic (Mid, Forward) ex Basketballer who started his footy career forward and has moved into the midfield this year. He has had a bit of a slow start to the TAC Cup but this year's Petracca may rise on everybody's big board if he has a good championships.

The disappointing thing about the midfield group this year is that three of the best are Northern Club Academy players, Callum Mills (Sydney), Jake Hopper (GWS) and Ben Keays (Brisbane) denying us first access.

There a three key position forwards as well that will be looked at through the Championships in Sam Weiderman, Josh Schache and Charlie Curnow but I think outside Weitering; the top end quality in the draft is in the midfield.

So in summary, if we finish between 14-18 as expected and do not trade our first round pick for an established player, we will have access to a quality mid to bolster our emerging midfield group.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: 2015 Draft

It will make for some tough decisions wont it !

Sheil 800k p/y vs Mathieson 100k p/y
Sloane 800 p/y vs Tucker 100k p/y
Treloar 700 p/y vs Parish 100k p/y

A lot will depend on whether the club can maintain a top 10 pick in their negotiations for the OOC players! If not my choice would be to go with the kids and wait for 2016 free agent players to spend on!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:It will make for some tough decisions wont it !

Sheil 800k p/y vs Mathieson 100k p/y
Sloane 800 p/y vs Tucker 100k p/y
Treloar 700 p/y vs Parish 100k p/y

A lot will depend on whether the club can maintain a top 10 pick in their negotiations for the OOC players! If not my choice would be to go with the kids and wait for 2016 free agent players to spend on!

But if you get Sheil for example you still get 10 years of footy and he looks a real genuine star. I would forget Sloane. I don't see the point of losing a top 5 pick for a 26 year old.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

You'd take Shiel every time as you know what you have - and he's worth it.
If we were in flag contention i'd consider Sloane, but we aren't.
If we'd kept dal and bj likely we couldn't even consider either.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I notice Shiel is starting on the bench this week. Obviously GWS dont rate him as high as some on Saintsational.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I notice Shiel is starting on the bench this week. Obviously GWS dont rate him as high as some on Saintsational.

I hope that's a joke Barry. There is now 21 in a side, not 18.

FQF
SS Life Member

Is Ah Chee more of a Billings type high half forward who can play midfield? Personally I think we need a genuine inside/outside mid, not a midfield convert.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

No joke. He is actually the 22nd bloke named. Although I realize that does not mean much nowadays.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I have just re read the Sun and they now have Shiels 19th. I cant win.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:No joke. He is actually the 22nd bloke named. Although I realize that does not mean much nowadays.

It actually means nothing.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Looks like Brisbane and Carlton are going to give us a good contest for the wooden spoon.

If another club bids its first round pick for the Brisbane acadamy boy, then Brisbane have to use their first pick to match - right ? Could put them in akward spot if they finish bottom and the acadamy lad is perceived as the 4th or 5th best player in the draft.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Die Hard 7
Club Player

Ryan Burton could be worth a look at (will not be actually able to watch) has broken his leg, and was predicted to be a top 5 pick at end of last year 192cm Key Forward for SA, bagged 5 as a 17 yr old last year in a game and impressed if was to slide to our 2nd pick would definitely have a look at him. One in particular to track rehab.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Looks like Brisbane and Carlton are going to give us a good contest for the wooden spoon.

If another club bids its first round pick for the Brisbane acadamy boy, then Brisbane have to use their first pick to match - right ? Could put them in akward spot if they finish bottom and the acadamy lad is perceived as the 4th or 5th best player in the draft.
Nah, they have to bid their next pick. So worst case for them world be if they had pick 2 and someone bid pick 1 for the boy. They'd have to choose between bidding their pick 2 or letting him be taken with pick 1.