Review - Saints vs Crows

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Review - Saints vs Crows

That Nick concussion took wind out my sails but ill have a go....

Positives

Hickey, incredibly agile and athletic for his height, still pleased with his efforts

Josh Bruce, tried to be Josh and Nick, up and back, led all day

Armo, my respect grows weekly

Weller did very well on danger for the most part

Webster blossomed as the game went on

Negatives

Concussion

Late omissions

Eddie

Lynch, likes to show us we were wrong

Newnes, think he's a potential gun, but lacks composure...cause I know he can kick
Last edited by SainterK on Sat 16 May 2015 6:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Review - Saints vs Crows

Concessions? Were they too dear?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

We did incredibly well not to get blown away in the second half. The big negative for me is the kicking for goal. We had a number of set shots from between 30 and 45 metres out that we missed. Have to get better at converting them.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Concessions? Were they too dear?
Umpiring ;)

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Shenton - Takes them on all the time. Kicked well today.
Bruce- What a surprise packet. Couldn't have picked it coming.

Goal kicking was shocking

Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: Hickey, incredibly agile and athletic for his height, still pleased with his efforts

The point Hickey kicked in the last quarter was one of the best points I have ever seen. Bruce holding off two crows and throwing it on his boot and getting it about 30m was outstanding. But then Hickey at ground level was just brilliant.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
#gosaintas
Club Player

Negatives

Roo gets knocked out regularly and has lost the plot. That tackle was just stupid.
Shenton should never play seniors again
Templeton is not AFL ready

Positives
They hung in there
Lots of these kids will make it

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Negatives

Roo gets knocked out regularly and has lost the plot. That tackle was just stupid.

Positives
They hung in there
Did you watch the game? Surprised you haven't mentioned Schneider yet.

A very disappointing game. We were in it but made simple mistakes and kicked horribly at goal.

#gosaintas
Club Player

8856brother wrote:

Positives
They hung in there
Yes I watched the game and Schneider played well - for him.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The first 10-15 minutes was the best footy we've played all year IMO. Immense pressure and we were sharp by foot. Kicking for goal let us down while we were on top though and once Lonie/Roo went down the game was cooked. It would have been seriously distressing for the young guys seeing Roo completely unconscious for such a long time and I think the group was seriously rattled until the last quarter. I'm not a big fan of Geary but he was the only guy who could ever keep Betts under control, he was a big loss today as was Joey. Betts was always going to be far too agile for Dempster and it's disappointing that he beat him in the air as well.

Positives were Bruce's excellent game, Hickey proving he's seriously dangerous up forward and Armo's continued strong form. I also thought Newnes played his best game for the year. Weller was good on Dangerfield for most of the game but he got off the leash a little late.

I don't know why on earth we're continuing to play Shenton - he's a poor man's Raph Clarke. Will take a few good intercept marks and about 50% of the time will
hit a teammate and the rest of the time he'll turn it straight over or get caught HTB. Surely Acres would have been a better option at half back. I also think it's a waste of a spot to continue to play Schneider instead of finding out if Minchington will make it.

Longer would have learnt plenty playing on Jacobs and really wasn't disgraced. Jacobs won the contest comfortably but Billy kept fighting all day and won some good hitouts to advantage. It's good to see that he has improved his marks per game to 2.4 from 1.1 last year. Still a long way to go but he's on the right track.

Pending VFL form the changes I'd make would be..

Out: Riewoldt (inj), Lonie (inj), Shenton, Schneider
In: Membrey, Acres, Geary, Montagna

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
8856brother wrote:

Positives
They hung in there
Yes I watched the game and Schneider played well - for him.
Are you drunk then?

kosifantutti wrote:
SainterK wrote: Hickey, incredibly agile and athletic for his height, still pleased with his efforts

The point Hickey kicked in the last quarter was one of the best points I have ever seen. Bruce holding off two crows and throwing it on his boot and getting it about 30m was outstanding. But then Hickey at ground level was just brilliant.
One of my faves from the day, incredible really

#gosaintas
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:The first 10-15 minutes was the best footy we've played all year IMO. Immense pressure and we were sharp by foot. Kicking for goal let us down while we were on top though and once Lonie/Roo went down the game was cooked. It would have been seriously distressing for the young guys seeing Roo completely unconscious for such a long time and I think the group was seriously rattled until the last quarter. I'm not a big fan of Geary but he was the only guy who could ever keep Betts under control, he was a big loss today as was Joey. Betts was always going to be far too agile for Dempster and it's disappointing that he beat him in the air as well.

Positives were Bruce's excellent game, Hickey proving he's seriously dangerous up forward and Armo's continued strong form. I also thought Newnes played his best game for the year. Weller was good on Dangerfield for most of the game but he got off the leash a little late.

I don't know why on earth we're continuing to play Shenton - he's a poor man's Raph Clarke. Will take a few good intercept marks and about 50% of the time will
hit a teammate and the rest of the time he'll turn it straight over or get caught HTB. Surely Acres would have been a better option at half back. I also think it's a waste of a spot to continue to play Schneider instead of finding out if Minchington will make it.

Longer would have learnt plenty playing on Jacobs and really wasn't disgraced. Jacobs won the contest comfortably but Billy kept fighting all day and won some good hitouts to advantage. It's good to see that he has improved his marks per game to 2.4 from 1.1 last year. Still a long way to go but he's on the right track.

Now that is a great post

seano1
Club Player

its not just kicking for goals that lets us down its around the ground kicking to each other that is a worry. also decision making ...some kick when they should handball and handball when they should kick.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:The first 10-15 minutes was the best footy we've played all year IMO. Immense pressure and we were sharp by foot. Kicking for goal let us down while we were on top though and once Lonie/Roo went down the game was cooked. It would have been seriously distressing for the young guys seeing Roo completely unconscious for such a long time and I think the group was seriously rattled until the last quarter. I'm not a big fan of Geary but he was the only guy who could ever keep Betts under control, he was a big loss today as was Joey. Betts was always going to be far too agile for Dempster and it's disappointing that he beat him in the air as well.

Now that is a great post
Not sure if Richo has a policy of giving guys more than 1 game to show something, but I'd like Minchington to get a few games in a row too
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 16 May 2015 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Negatives Roo gets knocked out regularly and has lost the plot. That tackle was just stupid.
You've just reached new levels of slime. No St Kilda supporter in the their right minds would saying something so viscous and nasty. "That tackle was stupid"!!! What the hell does that even mean? Roo has never back off from a tackle or contest in his life. Not one. Its what defines the champs - they put the team ahead of their own welfare. So he wasn't meant to tackle?? Just give the guy a way as he runs past? Complete idiocy even from you.

YOu on the other hand take a cheap stupid shot at guy who was sickeningly knocked out. Proud of your self slimy little troll? You are not a ST Kilda supporter and should go away into the recesses of the sewer from where you come and obliviously feel at home talking such s*** and taking the piss. You have dark polluted heart and I feel sorry for you. To troll is one thing. To jump on top of a guys stretcher and shout ridiculous insults at his prone form shows your inhumanity and desensitization. I would never do that to another teams player who was knocked out. You are small, heartless and inane. Go #goSaintas. Just go. You have been weighed, measured and found to be wanting.

#Gogosaintas
#Sobrave
#patheticobvioushashtagfromatrolltopretendyouareatruesupporter
#Morebraveryinroostoenailthangosaintaswholexistence

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

No serious worries for me from today, injuries aside obviously.

For most of the game we were roughly breaking even with the Crows everywhere except in our forward line. Up forward we were short-staffed and missed gettable opportunities. If we'd converted a little better and had one of Riewoldt and Lonie then I'm sure we would have been much closer to them at the end.

An unlucky day, but overall I'd say we're still on a good path.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Positives:
Bruce just keeps improving.
Armitage best season still could improve his kicking.
Hickey/Longer improving each week.
McKenzie/Sinclair will be players.
Roo not seriously injured.
Savage when he went forward.
Could have done with Membrey today.

Negatives:
Defensive coaching matchups.
Inablility to hit a target.
Entries into forward line disgraceful.
Accuracy in front of goal.
No mongrel/spirit to make it tough for Betts etc.
Inability to stop opposition run out of defence.
Richo has a long way to go to be a successful coach!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sat 16 May 2015 8:14pm, edited 3 times in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Now my review...

I thought there were stack of positives out of today despite the loss. With two intense games, a tough away trip in front of a hostile crowd and going down two players, I was amazed how hard we fought it out and made the crows a bit nervous. There is real solid work ethic with the players now. Its easy to run and work hard when its all going your way like in the second half last week. But its much more impressive when nearly everything is going against you but they just didn't give up and kept up good pressure. You put back Rooey and Lonie and gee I think we would have gone close. They really play for each another now you can see.

Bruce is starting to look like he could be a genuine forward for us. His hands are amazingly good and he works so damn hard. Mckenzie showed that timing in marking that everyone talked about. I would love him to be a regular half back picking marking balls to turn defence into attack. Hickey showed his nimbleness as a big man again. Even though we didn't play our best (understandable with tired legs probably) we found a way to hang in there. That is really really positive sign.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't that impressed with Adelaide at Metricon last week and nothing changed today. They will prolly make the eight but that will be it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Wasn't that impressed with Adelaide at Metricon last week and nothing changed today. They will prolly make the eight but that will be it.
Agree. They are nothing much.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
#gosaintas
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Negatives Roo gets knocked out regularly and has lost the plot. That tackle was just stupid.
You've just reached new levels of slime. No St Kilda supporter in the their right minds would saying something so viscous and nasty. "That tackle was stupid"!!! What the hell does that even mean? Roo has never back off from a tackle or contest in his life. Not one. Its what defines the champs - they put the team ahead of their own welfare. So he wasn't meant to tackle?? Just give the guy a way as he runs past? Complete idiocy even from you.

YOu on the other hand take a cheap stupid shot at guy who was sickeningly knocked out. Proud of your self slimy little troll? You are not a ST Kilda supporter and should go away into the recesses of the sewer from where you come and obliviously feel at home talking such s*** and taking the piss. You have dark polluted heart and I feel sorry for you. To troll is one thing. To jump on top of a guys stretcher and shout ridiculous insults at his prone form shows your inhumanity and desensitization. I would never do that to another teams player who was knocked out. You are small, heartless and inane. Go #goSaintas. Just go. You have been weighed, measured and found to be wanting.

#Gogosaintas
#Sobrave
#patheticobvioushashtagfromatrolltopretendyouareatruesupporter
#Morebraveryinroostoenailthangosaintaswholexistence
He ran in and headbutted him - I swear he was channelling kosi
Time for him to retire before he really hurts himself

#shadowoftheplayerheoncewasyouidiotbluthy

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Josh Bruce Gun, although dropped a mark or two.
David Armitage OK. Made a few iffy decisions.
Jack Newnes Solid, but needs to nail the goals.
Jack Steven Not the best day, and made a bewildering decision going forward.
Sean Dempster Was going ok. But wrong match up for Eddie and really struggled with him in the end.
Sam Fisher Quiet.
Tom Hickey Gun. Strong, good hands, good kick, good coverage, good brain.
Eli Templeton Maybe I didn't notice him as much with the haircut? I'll watch the replay.
Shane Savage Quiet.
Jack Sinclair Missed a few kicks which is abnormal.
Jack Billings OK.
Jimmy Webster Very good. Strong, quick, bullet kick.
Maverick Weller Quiet but filled space well.
Adam Schneider Quiet.
Cameron Shenton Very good after coming on.
Dylan Roberton OK but takes some risky kicks down back.
Luke Dunstan Quiet. One or two good things but looked really out of it. Maybe a run at Sandy.
Billy Longer Needs to position better and clunk the marks a kick down play. Still young.
Luke Delaney Lost Walker many times, just couldn't keep up. But still kept him relatively quiet.
Daniel McKenzie Will keep getting better. Makes the right choice. Just needs to adapt to the speed in close.
Nick Riewoldt KO.
Jack Lonie KO.
Leigh Montagna Tight.
Jarryn Geary Sore.

So we lost two guys pre game, not ideal. Then another two before quarter time. Roo was sweeping the backline pretty well before he went down. Missed Lonie's energy. Conversion bad. The Crows just positioned themselves well, always having two or three out the back or ready for the switch, we couldn't close the space quick enough. I think all our guys were around the packs trying to win the clearance with numbers, but Thompson was huge inside. They kept the forward line relatively open. Eddie was unstoppable, we have so many halfback flankers, yet no one would be able to shut him down. All in all the Crows didn't give us much space, and we haven't the experience to work through it. Betts 3, Thompson 2, Bruce 1. I loved getting along a finally getting to see the work that goes on off the ball. Dempster really is almost perfect down field, positioning and closing down. No one can handle Eddie though.
And umpire 11 - Curtis Deboy, absolute disgrace. Enjoy your payout mate. He certainly made sure he would get out alive. He was dressed in yellow, just missing blue and red.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
spert
Saintsational Legend

Injuries aside- pretty ordinary defensive team game...more work for the coach I think. Dunstan needs a break, just a bit off the pace. Overall, the team didn't get hands on the ball enough of in the first half. A bit of a nothing game and we should have done a bit better.