Thoughts on the future of Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

coopergrech
Club Player

Thoughts on the future of Spencer White

Spencer White has had a poor season so far, being dropped into the development squad at times and struggling and even yesterday against the bottom VFL side in Frankston.

I hope White becomes better and performs well like he has in his first 2 years.

Thoughts on his future everyone?

Possible trade bait or delistee? If he keeps it up

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thoughts on the future of Spencer White

Has been in variable form....however with respect to playing in the Development Squad I would note that now as we have had a lot of players return from injury that the Saints simply cannot play everyone that they would like in the Sandi firsts as the numbers are strictly capped.

So while few injuries remain I would expect to see various players rotated through the Development Squad that really should be in the firsts. So take anly selection of Saints players in that team witha grain of salt.

ie Saunders last week., who had good form with Sandi firsts, but yet had to play in the Development Squad on the weekend.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

coopergrech wrote:Spencer White has had a poor season so far, being dropped into the development squad at times and struggling and even yesterday against the bottom VFL side in Frankston.

I hope White becomes better and performs well like he has in his first 2 years.

Thoughts on his future everyone?

Possible trade bait or delistee? If he keeps it up

Well if he keeps it up he isn't possible trade bait. I think we need a White free zone until he gets close to being an AFL footballer again.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

You need to listen to Richo when he was on SEN last week. Has said that Spencer is still important to us and had to play in Dev Squad due to numbers available

FQF
SS Life Member

He has been extremely disappointing this year. When he got to the club, we were told that he had all the natural attributes but was raw and needed time to develop his body. Now he has clearly bulked up and is certainly not raw, and still can't make it. He's had his injuries and asthma, but this year there have been no excuses. I think it might be time for the coaches to be a little creative and to try and use him in a different role to spark something. The clock is certainly ticking.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

White, Markworth, Siposs - choose one.

FQF
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:White, Markworth, Siposs - choose one.
Markworth

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:You need to listen to Richo when he was on SEN last week. Has said that Spencer is still important to us and had to play in Dev Squad due to numbers available

Would Richo ever say a player isn't important to our side?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Writing is on the wall I fear.

Bruce, Paddy, Lee, Membrey, Hickey all ahead of him.

Yesterday running through a playing in a marking contest was one of the few times I've seen him have a fair dinkim dip. Gets by on doing some flashy things and I don't think he will make it. If someone wants to trade to him I say cut our losses and do it.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
FQF
SS Life Member

I think he might still be tradeable based on the 'potential' tag and his successful senior matches. Who knows, if he goes to a team that plays him permanently in the seniors for 10 weeks, he might flourish. Barring injury, there seems to be no prospect of him getting that chance with us this year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I think he might still be tradeable based on the 'potential' tag and his successful senior matches. Who knows, if he goes to a team that plays him permanently in the seniors for 10 weeks, he might flourish. Barring injury, there seems to be no prospect of him getting that chance with us this year.
If he had any form he would be a chance this week with Riewoldt a certainty to miss...

The fact that a very raw McCartin was chosen over him a few weeks ago doesn't bode well for him at all.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

tank?
asthma may be holding him back a bit

whats he like in contests or packs?
does he hit them hard and go for the mark?
does he look tentative or worried he might get hurt?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spencer is definitely tradeable.

Possibly we'd get pick 80 for him

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Kernal75
Club Player

I really hope he's just one of the "late developers" you hear of at other clubs. At this stage his future is certainly up in the air a bit. From a list management perspective I think there are 4 in front of him who will struggle to retain their place at the end of the year. In no particular order they are;

Simpkin
Sipposs
Minchington
Curren

You could possibly throw Markworth in there as well, although he hasn't had a clear run at it since arriving at the club so will most likely be retained as a rookie. Clock is ticking for Spencer though.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:tank?

He's a hard one because he is quick and agile but not combative. He works better as a Gilbert style tall. Playing him as a KP is like expecting Simpkin to play on guys much taller than him and compete. Just not using him to his strengths ATM. His best chance is if he can develop that side of his game like Buddy did. Buddy started as a tall winger and got better at the contested stuff as he went.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

He's a hard one because he is quick and agile but not combative. He works better as a Gilbert style tall. Playing him as a KP is like expecting Simpkin to play on guys much taller than him and compete. Just not using him to his strengths ATM. His best chance is if he can develop that side of his game like Buddy did. Buddy started as a tall winger and got better at the contested stuff as he went.

Buddy started as a forward and has always been a forward. We need to stop mentioning White and Buddy in the same sentence. They are like chalk and cheese.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Spencer is definitely tradeable.
On what he has shown to date...no one would trade. Someone may rookie him, but no one would trade.

Also we would not use a pick 80...unless we have several rookies to elevate....and with rookie elevations it matters naugt wherher they are pick 80. or pick 180.

Pick 4, 22, 40 maybe 58

74 rookie Elevation - Sinclair

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Buddy started as a forward and has always been a forward. We need to stop mentioning White and Buddy in the same sentence. They are like chalk and cheese.
He was started as a roaming forward not a KP. He was played much further from goal out wide where he could stream forward with out a man holding him arm to arm. He developed that side as he went. I have seen a a lot of Hawks games as I go every year to our games with a mate and have sat through plenty with him. they are one of the few other teams I know a lot about. Buddy was allowed to get free.Obviously right now Spencer isn't anything like as good as Buddy but his size and athletic attributes are going to always be compared. I think a different coach might get more out of Spencer and a program like Geelongs where they could get a coach to work intensively with him would help. He's a high maintenance work in progress but the rewards could be well worth it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

He was started as a roaming forward not a KP. He was played much further from goal out wide where he could stream forward with out a man holding him arm to arm. He developed that side as he went. I have seen a a lot of Hawks games as I go every year to our games with a mate and have sat through plenty with him. they are one of the few other teams I know a lot about. Buddy was allowed to get free.Obviously right now Spencer isn't anything like as good as Buddy but his size and athletic attributes are going to always be compared. I think a different coach might get more out of Spencer and a program like Geelongs where they could get a coach to work intensively with him would help. He's a high maintenance work in progress but the rewards could be well worth it.

So he played exactly how White is playing now, as a roaming forward so Buddy wasn't a tall winger. I didn't think he was either. And I would be looking at blaming the player and not our coaching panel. You do realise that we have about 6 coaches. I doubt Richo has much to do with him at all. I still say its time to forget the buddy, white stuff. If he is hearing that crap no wonder he doesn't work hard enough.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

So he played exactly how White is playing now, as a roaming forward so Buddy wasn't a tall winger. I didn't think he was either. And I would be looking at blaming the player and not our coaching panel. You do realise that we have about 6 coaches. I doubt Richo has much to do with him at all. I still say its time to forget the buddy, white stuff. If he is hearing that crap no wonder he doesn't work hard enough.

Well what ever you want to call it he started on the wing, flanks or between the wing and the flanks but ran around once the ball bounced. He was sent back even at times when he had s*** games. He was not just used as a KP like he is used as predominantly at Sydney. I remember a few of his runs from deep down back getting to about 55 meters and just unloading monster bombs that sailed through.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Well what ever you want to call it he started on the wing, flanks or between the wing and the flanks but ran around once the ball bounced. He was sent back even at times when he had s*** games. He was not just used as a KP like he is used as predominantly at Sydney. I remember a few of his runs from deep down back getting to about 55 meters and just unloading monster bombs that sailed through.

So that's how White trys to play now but hasn't got the fitness of Buddy. A roaming forward.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 18 May 2015 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Trade or delist. If he ix lucky and really wants it relist as a rookie!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

WinnersOnly wrote:Trade or delist. If he ix lucky and really wants it relist as a rookie!
Yep.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Serious question, is he smart enough? I have heard from him, but I've read plenty of times about his positioning and running patterns being out of whack. Is he learning, or maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed?
Having said that, a lot of idiots have been very good footballers. Too many actually.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
bigred
Saintsational Legend

He still has time.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....