I need help number 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I need help number 2

Its obviously I don't understand the game and need more help than ever so my second question do we really want Rooy taking kick in marks 15 metres from the goal line and tthen not having a clue what to do after he marks the ball. I like the fact he gets up and down the ground but taking a chest mark that the worst mark in the AFL could take shouldn't be his job surely. And because of his inexperience down that end of the ground he then doesn't have a clue what to do with it. It happened 3 times last night. IMO he should be the next kick target. At least that way he can work his way towards our goal if he takes that second mark. At the moment we have no target if he takes the 15 metre marks.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: I need help number 2

This example probably highlights the difficulty we have getting the ball out of the backline. It's a team problem, the players need to learn a couple of different strategies. If all else fails, kick long to the ruckman in the middle of the ground.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:This example probably highlights the difficulty we have getting the ball out of the backline. It's a team problem, the players need to learn a couple of different strategies. If all else fails, kick long to the ruckman in the middle of the ground.

That is a real problem in itself. They did that a few times last night and because players know Longer cant mark it, it because a midfield battle and that isn't our strong suit.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I agree. The biggest issue is our kick-outs from full back. Every week we concede goals due to indecision and errors from kick-outs. The coach needs to fix this problem. I would like to know the percentage of times we have effectively cleared the defensive zone this year. Although he made one shocking error yesterday, I'd prefer that Webster has the kick-out duties.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Would help if we had some height in the backline to kick to. Maybe next week we will pick a CHB. I know we couldn't have one against Brisb because they were too small and we couldn't have one against Hawthorn because they are too good but maybe next week, with out goldilocks selectors, our opposition will be juuuust right and one of Lee/Goddard will be picked.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Would help if we had some height in the backline to kick to. Maybe next week we will pick a CHB. I know we couldn't have one against Brisb because they were too small and we couldn't have one against Hawthorn because they are too good but maybe next week, with out goldilocks selectors, our opposition will be juuuust right and one of Lee/Goddard will be picked.

That doesn't explain why a tall player like Rooy is a 15 metre target for a chest mark. I don't think you quite got my point. Anyway the lack of one tall backman yesterday made no difference to the result. They didnt kick it to Delaney and his tall by the way. And we lost by 120 points last year with 2 talls in the backline. maybe they are just to good for us.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Would help if we had some height in the backline to kick to. Maybe next week we will pick a CHB. I know we couldn't have one against Brisb because they were too small and we couldn't have one against Hawthorn because they are too good but maybe next week, with out goldilocks selectors, our opposition will be juuuust right and one of Lee/Goddard will be picked.

That doesn't explain why a tall player like Rooy is a 15 metre target for a chest mark. I don't think you quite got my point. Anyway the lack of one tall backman yesterday made no difference to the result. They didnt kick it to Delaney and his tall by the way. And we lost by 120 points last year with 2 talls in the backline. maybe they are just to good for us.

Delaney was our only tall that day last year too and yes they are too good for us. I do agree with you that roo is the wrong guy for that short kick. If the ball was in my hands I wouldn't kick it to Delaney either. I would if it was Lee presenting. Or Goddard.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Been struggling to get the ball out of the back half ever since we lost BJ, Dal and even Jason Gram left.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Delaney was our only tall that day last year too and yes they are too good for us. I do agree with you that roo is the wrong guy for that short kick. If the ball was in my hands I wouldn't kick it to Delaney either. I would if it was Lee presenting. Or Goddard.

Yes because they have so much experience. I suppose I didn't expect anything else though. You have to say that to prove a point.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes because they have so much experience. I suppose I didn't expect anything else though. You have to say that to prove a point.
Pretty difficult to gain experience when you're the emergency.

longtimesaint
Club Player

We have to remember where Hawthorn is on the premiership window compared to our position of building a side.
They have had an up and down year so far but have still beaten Geelong, North and bulldogs by 10 plus goals.
Due to their poorer start they are now on a mission for a top 2 spot

One year will be our year
The Disch
Club Player

I don't think Roo should be up the ground all the time as he is these days. I agree plugger it is a bit late in his career to be playing like a mid/ defender. He doesn't have the agility in his body as he used to [ 10 years as CHF will do that to you ].
I would love to see him stay deep in the forward line and let Bruce, Membrey and co be the main targets. Almost play a forward coaching role.

Middo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Its obviously I don't understand the game and need more help than ever so my second question do we really want Rooy taking kick in marks 15 metres from the goal line and tthen not having a clue what to do after he marks the ball. I like the fact he gets up and down the ground but taking a chest mark that the worst mark in the AFL could take shouldn't be his job surely. And because of his inexperience down that end of the ground he then doesn't have a clue what to do with it. It happened 3 times last night. IMO he should be the next kick target. At least that way he can work his way towards our goal if he takes that second mark. At the moment we have no target if he takes the 15 metre marks.

Ha Ha laughable that Rooey would not have a clue what to do with it once he gets it , what do you think he's been doing the past 12 years not watching or leading to the backmen taking this kick ..?
Thought potting Longer was a stupid call and now this, like the coaching staff have no idea as you like to point out to everyone on here who has an opinion.

Ha Ha

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Its obviously I don't understand the game and need more help than ever so my second question do we really want Rooy taking kick in marks 15 metres from the goal line and tthen not having a clue what to do after he marks the ball. I like the fact he gets up and down the ground but taking a chest mark that the worst mark in the AFL could take shouldn't be his job surely. And because of his inexperience down that end of the ground he then doesn't have a clue what to do with it. It happened 3 times last night. IMO he should be the next kick target. At least that way he can work his way towards our goal if he takes that second mark. At the moment we have no target if he takes the 15 metre marks.

Ha Ha laughable that Rooey would not have a clue what to do with it once he gets it , what do you think he's been doing the past 12 years not watching or leading to the backmen taking this kick ..?
Thought potting Longer was a stupid call and now this, like the coaching staff have no idea as you like to point out to everyone on here who has an opinion.

Ha Ha

Well he kicked it out on the full twice after he marked it. And of course the coaches know more than me or anyone on here. maybe we only have positive discussions and what they are doing right. And do tell why the Longer call was stupid? The history of your posting is to never have an opinion but to knock others of theirs. About time you put your balls on the line and have an opinion. Sorry you maybe a women so in that case put your nuts on the line and have an opinion. Firstly on Longer and why that comment was stupid would be a start. A fair few agree with me by the way so they to must be stupid. And if you bothered to read this thread properly it wasn't about Rooy decision making it was more that he should be the second target and not be a 15 metre chest mark target.

Wowee.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

The less 15m kicks out from full back the better. What it tells you is the kicker has no other options and it's an easy out. The next kick from there is the hardest in footy because you're still virtually in the goal square but you've only got one side of the ground to play with. Add to this the full press and good luck. Some sides can do it and the player can then run. We do it and stop.

Sam Fisher wasn't there and for some reason they didn't play Goddard or Lee. They needed him to cover for the missing back. Why Shenton was on Gunston who was quicker, taller and more nimble was a strange one.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Sam Fisher wasn't there and for some reason they didn't play Goddard or Lee. They needed him to cover for the missing back. Why Shenton was on Gunston who was quicker, taller and more nimble was a strange one.

But Roo wasn't playing as a back. he was just running up and down the ground which is fine. My point is he shouldn't be taking the short kick in. A midget could do that. he needs to be an option further up the ground. The Hawks would have loved him taking short kick in. I think that is why he was free so many times. They wanted him to have that kick.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:We have to remember where Hawthorn is on the premiership window compared to our position of building a side.
They have had an up and down year so far but have still beaten Geelong, North and bulldogs by 10 plus goals.
Due to their poorer start they are now on a mission for a top 2 spot
Exactly. Moving the ball forward, we tried our usual frantic get the ball on immediately method that works against normal sides. Hawks aren't a normal side, they're elite and really had to start building their flag campaign now in order to get into the top 4. Against lower skilled sides we won't need the panic alarm method of Rooey taking marks inside defensive 50.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

The less 15m kicks out from full back the better. What it tells you is the kicker has no other options and it's an easy out. The next kick from there is the hardest in footy because you're still virtually in the goal square but you've only got one side of the ground to play with. Add to this the full press and good luck. Some sides can do it and the player can then run. We do it and stop.

8856brother wrote:The less 15m kicks out from full back the better. What it tells you is the kicker has no other options and it's an easy out. The next kick from there is the hardest in footy because you're still virtually in the goal square but you've only got one side of the ground to play with. Add to this the full press and good luck. Some sides can do it and the player can then run. We do it and stop.

Im sure ive read that somewhere else.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I don't understand the game and need more help etc
Good points Plugger..

We badly lacked height in defence and had to try and pinpoint little kicks to get out of there, which is a recipe for disaster under pressure.

Lee or Goddard should have played and I reckon one of them must come in this week.. Then we would have several options coming out. If Longer could take a mark we would have another one.

They should tell Jimmy Webster to really hoof it in from the kick ins, He's a nice long kick, but the margin for error is greater on those tiny little chips,.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yes we should definitely play Goddard or Lee next week along with Gilbo in defence.

It's only Melbourne so a different and winnable ball game.

Twatts hopefully doesn't go too badly today and gets selected for them next week. I'd love us to give him another footy lesson!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with Plugger. I like the idea of Roo playing between the 50 metre areas and getting the ball into our forward 50. Being in the back pocket, however, doesn't serve any purpose. It was like a few years ago when he'd take a mark on the wing and you'd wish he was where the ball would be kicked to.
I'd prefer to see Newnes, Webster etc running it out of defence. Both good, penetrating kicks.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Middo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:

Ha Ha

Well he kicked it out on the full twice after he marked it. And of course the coaches know more than me or anyone on here. maybe we only have positive discussions and what they are doing right. And do tell why the Longer call was stupid? The history of your posting is to never have an opinion but to knock others of theirs. About time you put your balls on the line and have an opinion. Sorry you maybe a women so in that case put your nuts on the line and have an opinion. Firstly on Longer and why that comment was stupid would be a start. A fair few agree with me by the way so they to must be stupid. And if you bothered to read this thread properly it wasn't about Rooy decision making it was more that he should be the second target and not be a 15 metre chest mark target.

Wowee.

Hmmm not having a clue what to do with it sounds like you're having a crack at his decision making Stupid as that is how it read Stupid.
Not sure why Longer keeps copping it as He's young and has a crack and watching the Lions game live as I did and not from my lounge chair as you always like to point out , I thought he really kick started us in the second quarter in the middle of the ground.
My opinion on Hickey is that he's not fit enough and I think he should not have played at the weekend as he was not 100% in my humble opinion and furthermore I would expect him to be given the chance when fully fit to ruck and give Billy a spell but at the moment no tall forwards are demanding a spot so resting a ruck forward is the option at the moment.
And congratulations that a fair few agree with your opinions well done..!!!

#potkettleblack

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:

Ha Ha

Wowee.

Hmmm not having a clue what to do with it sounds like you're having a crack at his decision making Stupid as that is how it read Stupid.
Not sure why Longer keeps copping it as He's young and has a crack and watching the Lions game live as I did and not from my lounge chair as you always like to point out , I thought he really kick started us in the second quarter in the middle of the ground.
My opinion on Hickey is that he's not fit enough and I think he should not have played at the weekend as he was not 100% in my humble opinion and furthermore I would expect him to be given the chance when fully fit to ruck and give Billy a spell but at the moment no tall forwards are demanding a spot so resting a ruck forward is the option at the moment.
And congratulations that a fair few agree with your opinions well done..!!!

#potkettleblack

Are you related to Freebird. Quality human. That first sentence must have been written by someone with half a brain because you would have made even lesser sense.