Fwd 50 entries

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

anthony_13
Club Player

Fwd 50 entries

Great game, great win.. bit lucky but we got the win!
One of the things I noticed is the way we enter our fwd 50.. most of the time we are long bombing it in, hoping from Bruce or Roo to take a spectacular contested mark. Melbourne hardly got the ball inside their fwd 50 but when they did, it was a chip in to a lead. We rarely have this and hopefully we'll be able to do this cause if you watch teams like Hawthorn, this is how Gunston and Breust get their set shots.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fwd 50 entries

Mind you, roos went the uber flood in the last, well except for the last 30 seconds :)

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

anthony_13 wrote:Great game, great win.. bit lucky but we got the win!
One of the things I noticed is the way we enter our fwd 50.. most of the time we are long bombing it in, hoping from Bruce or Roo to take a spectacular contested mark. Melbourne hardly got the ball inside their fwd 50 but when they did, it was a chip in to a lead. We rarely have this and hopefully we'll be able to do this cause if you watch teams like Hawthorn, this is how Gunston and Breust get their set shots.
For the most part our forwards are running back toward the goal, they are not leading up the ground away from the goals.

SaintWal
Club Player

Uber flood correct and we plugged all the holes as well after hogan got away early with the good leads. They stopped our switch as well which really meant we had to bomb long. Need to work on a late switch or similar as doing it in the back line is predictable and gives to much time for opposition to adjust

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:Uber flood correct and we plugged all the holes as well after hogan got away early with the good leads. They stopped our switch as well which really meant we had to bomb long. Need to work on a late switch or similar as doing it in the back line is predictable and gives to much time for opposition to adjust
Exactly. I thought Paul Roos' coaching was why it became such a close game. At the same time, I detest that style of game he enforces. It's an abomination on the game. A shame Melbourne got him as their coach. Their fans are in for plenty of watching the paint dry action.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SaintWal
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
SaintWal wrote:Uber flood correct and we plugged all the holes as well after hogan got away early with the good leads. They stopped our switch as well which really meant we had to bomb long. Need to work on a late switch or similar as doing it in the back line is predictable and gives to much time for opposition to adjust
Exactly. I thought Paul Roos' coaching was why it became such a close game. At the same time, I detest that style of game he enforces. It's an abomination on the game. A shame Melbourne got him as their coach. Their fans are in for plenty of watching the paint dry action.
Talking to my brother in law who is demons fan he feels the same way. I said to him that Roos brings structure and solid defense as the core, which any good team has, Hawks freo and even us under Lyon. Unusually he will step away before stage two of the development see them become an all round side. That will be the attacking flare that they only show glimpses of at the moment. They will be s good team and he has given them a fantastic defensive building block

saintjake
Club Player

Bruce at times looked spent when he was running around in the ruck, and Roo hurt his leg in the last. But I'm with you, the last quarter was frustrating and stressful to say the least.
Bruce has been dropping marks over the past 3 or so weeks which doesn't help. I really hope we can sort out the ruck situation that means Bruce can just stay forward.
He's equal 5th (I think) in the Coleman, why don't we just let him dominate as a forward instead of risking him in the ruck.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Sometimes I think we take to long to kick into the forward line, that chaos kick works more times than you think. It won us the game. I do like Membrey, he reminds a bit of Hammil, and not the two weeks bit, but he crashes packs. Which really brings guys like Lonie etc into the game for crumbing goals.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
stkfc1
Club Player

saintjake wrote:Bruce at times looked spent when he was running around in the ruck, and Roo hurt his leg in the last. But I'm with you, the last quarter was frustrating and stressful to say the least.
Bruce has been dropping marks over the past 3 or so weeks which doesn't help. I really hope we can sort out the ruck situation that means Bruce can just stay forward.
He's equal 5th (I think) in the Coleman, why don't we just let him dominate as a forward instead of risking him in the ruck.
Reckon the break has come just in time for Bruce. Think he was starting to run out of petrol tickets over the last few weeks. We must remember hes just a kid in his first year as a key forward in the AFL. He'll come back better after the break ,have few more good games, and probably run out of puff again by Round 18. Another pre season or two will turn him into a monster that can run all day. Good times ahead!

FQF
SS Life Member

It is a deliberate tactic to allow for crumbing goals and it has worked well for us many times this year. Richo did say in his presser (if my memory serves me) that we overplayed that tactic this week when it wasn't working.

But with guys like Lonie, Billings, Schneider, Sinclair, Mav, Minch etc. all providing both goal crumbing ability and the defensive lockdown, the tactic makes sense for the team we put on the park. It might not look pretty, but it is kicking us competitive (and sometimes winning) scores.

spert
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Bruce at times looked spent when he was running around in the ruck, and Roo hurt his leg in the last. But I'm with you, the last quarter was frustrating and stressful to say the least.
I think the opposition coaches have worked out that Bruce can be a handy goal kicker and are now playing him more attention- he is not getting as much space or as many clean possessions now as he was weeks back when he was kicking more goals. If I was coaching I would open up the forward line a lot more, as the other day it looked all too congested with Bruce, Roo and Membrey in there as targets.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
I think the opposition coaches have worked out that Bruce can be a handy goal kicker and are now playing him more attention- he is not getting as much space or as many clean possessions now as he was weeks back when he was kicking more goals. If I was coaching I would open up the forward line a lot more, as the other day it looked all too congested with Bruce, Roo and Membrey in there as targets.

Unfortunately our coach has an opposition coach. I think what are saying has been thought about by an under 9's coach so I think our coaches would be on top of that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Yes that Roos game style will never get success....!??
Get a clue

“Yeah….nah””
Legendary
Club Player

When we are playing the style Richo likes, we are moving the ball into a relatively clear F50, with one-on-ones or crumbers running onto it.

We actually missed Sinclair, Schneider and Billings on the weekend - all 3 are half-forwards who use the ball very well, and we missed their clean disposal and good decision making in the front half.

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:

Unfortunately our coach has an opposition coach. I think what are saying has been thought about by an under 9's coach so I think our coaches would be on top of that.
Maybe we need an under 9s coach to help in that area?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Yes that Roos game style will never get success....!??
Get a clue
I didn't say that, you nincompoop. He brought Sydney plenty of success. But boy, they were a boring team to watch, and still are, since Longmire is the same style of coach.

The Saints faithful complained endlessly over RL's coaching strategies and that took us to playing in grand finals. I remember one match where we were winning by 12 goals or more and in the last minutes, our players started playing keeping's off and the team was soundly booed by our own supporters. I'm so pleased Richo is resorting to that rubbish. Another era of RL brand footy would almost drive me away from attending matches.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!