Proud

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Proud

At this pseudo mid season break I thought it was appropriate to post about how proud I am of the way the boys (and club) is going about it this season.
The manner in which we're playing, the endeavour, courage and belief has truly been on display. We could have easily sunken to new lows this season; the pressure was on from the punters and press.. it would been easy to turn up the type of football we've seen from Carlton Essendon, the Gold Coast and to a lesser extent Brisbane and Melbourne.
I don't care what anyone says, developing a winning culture is far more valuable than a prize pick will ever be. I hope we continue to build on the spirit and momentum at the club and am confident we'll draft and trade well no matter our ladder position.

Go saints!!

#1 Ryder fan
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Proud

MC Gusto wrote:At this pseudo mid season break I thought it was appropriate to post about how proud I am of the way the boys (and club) is going about it this season.
The manner in which we're playing, the endeavour, courage and belief has truly been on display. We could have easily sunken to new lows this season; the pressure was on from the punters and press.. it would been easy to turn up the type of football we've seen from Carlton Essendon, the Gold Coast and to a lesser extent Brisbane and Melbourne.
I don't care what anyone says, developing a winning culture is far more valuable than a prize pick will ever be. I hope we continue to build on the spirit and momentum at the club and am confident we'll draft and trade well no matter our ladder position.

Go saints!!
\

Exactly. Good to see most people understand the importance of winning.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:At this pseudo mid season break I thought it was appropriate to post about how proud I am of the way the boys (and club) is going about it this season.

Go saints!!

+1
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 18 Jun 2015 10:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
elizabethr
Club Player

Spot on

nothing to say
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hear Hear

I too want a winning culture and one built on effort, endeavor, courage and belief (all very virtuous and noble intents I might add) PLUS Id like to inject some genuine A Grade football talent cause teams with lots of endeavor, courage but little top line class invariably dont win flags. In fact I'd got a step further and say the winning culture I want is one built around a genuine successful era capped off with an AFL Premiership or 3...a dynasty if you will, cause as the old adage goes......nothing breeds success like success......Id do anything short term to enhance this dream and I am comfortable the club will look at its options in a clear, calculated and strategic manner to ensure its long term winning culture objective is given the very best chance of developing. IF this means some immediate, short term pain then so be it.....weve had decades of it as long as we are working to a clear plan (and we have been in recent times I feel) Im ok with that cause the long game is what its all about and an immediate loss or 3 in 2015 will mean squat in 5 years time.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the winning culture is hugely important. Look at the positive news lately. Wouldn't have happened if we were losing even if we were competitive. Another huge thing and there is a thread on it is the recruiters decisions. Most top picks nearly pick themselves but its the later picks that can add huge depth. Look at 2001. We got Ball but it was Dal at 14, Joey and Goose even later on that made that draft huge for us. We may have got those later picks even if we won more games that season. It just proves losing games doesn't guareentee a thing but we know winning helps most who follow the club and it certainly helps inside the club. Look how hard it has been for carlton and Melbourne. They just cant win. And all the news about the Blues is negative. I think that effects the players. Lets hope we win against the WB. Will help the club even more and we may be the club that most asee asbeing on the up.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I reckon the winning culture is hugely important. Look at the positive news lately. Wouldn't have happened if we were losing even if we were competitive. Another huge thing and there is a thread on it is the recruiters decisions. Most top picks nearly pick themselves but its the later picks that can add huge depth. Look at 2001. We got Ball but it was Dal at 14, Joey and Goose even later on that made that draft huge for us. We may have got those later picks even if we won more games that season. It just proves losing games doesn't guareentee a thing but we know winning helps most who follow the club and it certainly helps inside the club. Look how hard it has been for carlton and Melbourne. They just cant win. And all the news about the Blues is negative. I think that effects the players. Lets hope we win against the WB. Will help the club even more and we may be the club that most asee asbeing on the up.
This would be an interesting view to discuss IF that Ball pick had of been C Judd instead
IMO that could very well be the difference between a flag or 2 or not.
Judd bursting out of the middle to a Riewoldt has a ring to it doesnt it?
The importance of the pick itself isn't lessened because we chose Ball......the importance of SELECTING the right player is merely magnified.

“Yeah….nah””
stjay
Club Player

Go saints!!
Well said.

Austinnn
Club Player

The good thing about where we are at at the moment is a good blend of still being unpolished enough to lose games against the more hardened teams and guarantee a decent draft position without tanking, but however the endeavour, courage and teamwork is starting to pay off results-wise. The young players are seeing that and buying into Richo's team's style and probably believe that to continue to be effective.

Read Dylan Roberton's comments after re-signing and that is a perfect example of the buy in that will be essential as all the young players develop together. Much easier to sell than "We'll be fine once we get a few elite players to replace some of you".

That buy in will be many times more valuable than a couple of picks closer to first come draft time.

If hypothetically the tram were to far exceed expectations the achievement of that team and the belief in each other and their coach is unqualifiable but undeniably real. Whats more, we might even get a few more people rocking up to games and complementing the positive buzz that our crack media team are creating.

Either way this season would have to go severely pear shaped from here on in to qualify as anything more that a success relative to expectations.

Go Richo! Go team! Go Finnis! Go Saints media! Go St Kilda! Lets keep winning!

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Whilst we have only won 4 games out of 11 - which mind you is at least double what I was expecting at the start of the season, it feels even more than that.

It's our game style that is bringing punters through the gate, amongst other factors.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
#gosaintas
Club Player

Gotta love that never give in mentality we are showing. Little Lonie really embodies that new stkilda which is going to give us another great ride I reckon.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Whilst we have only won 4 games out of 11 - which mind you is at least double what I was expecting at the start of the season, it feels even more than that.

It's our game style that is bringing punters through the gate, amongst other factors.
Agree

That also says right now we don't have to have won all games to know we are heading in the right direction - the way we are playing, developing kids etc is far more important than wins IMO

Sure, along the way you need reward for effort and we have some of that but that isn't the main game at all

I think we need more talent to eventually mix it with the big boys - as good as our later picks have been IMO against top sides that's not enough

Going well thus far

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The good thing about this year is we have won games. We could have been competitive and lost the WB amd Melbourne but we would have only won 2 games. Doesn't get the good publicity if we are 2 out of 11 and sitting third last on the ladder. Its important we finish the year how we stared by being competitive but also actually winning games. I hope to win at least another 3 or 4 more games. it would be great to finish the year on around 8 wins and finish about 12th on the ladder. great for membership and sponsorship next season and more importantly gives the whole club confidence that we are heading in the right direction.

People need to realise it isn't the older players giving us this improvement. 2 years ago we had the same older players but also Milne, Hayes and 3 or 4 other regulars and we only won 5 games for the year including a practice game against Freo in the last round of the year. The improvement has certainly come from our better younger players, most of them being picks above 10 so if were to finish 12th we would still get a great pick.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Whilst we have only won 4 games out of 11 - which mind you is at least double what I was expecting at the start of the season, it feels even more than that.

Exactly saintspremiers. I was pretty pessimistic in our outlook. Was hoping for maybe six wins but realistically thought we would win maybe 2-4. Well halfway through the year we are on track for my best case 6 wins and maybe one or two more.

What I really wanted to see was effort and pressure on the ball. We have got that in spades. The groundwork and foundations are being put in place. The pressure and tackling game is well organised and being executed by the players well. Sure we have been outclassed by Hawthorn and played poorly against Collingwood and Carlton, but with the other losses we have been competitive and in the game.

yes we are a fair way off the pace re finals, yes we need to get this group matured and require some more class. yes we have challenges as Riewoldt and Joey retire, yes we will be up against the AFL stacked team in GWS amongst others, but tis admin and football department are all pulling in the same direction and all doing good things.

The second half of the season poses some immense challenges. Our type of playing style will take a toll on young immature bodies, and our last six games are a horror run, so it all could fall away.

However it seems we are tracking in the right direction, all news out of the Saints is positive, and the team is giving the supporter hope for the future.

You are garbage - Enough said
paulski
Club Player

Is it just me, or has the passion in the stands finally returned as well. Great atmosphere the last few home games, win or lose.
Crappy umpiring has helped too, we all look feral again! Good stuff fellow Sainters.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The thing St. Kilda supporters live on is hope; it's our raison d'etre.

A number of footy experts including a couple who have said that we wouldn't even win one game are super impressed with the direction we are taking.

On Sunday's telecast, Bomber Thompson was glowing about our pressure, tackling and the way went about "hunting in packs" etc.

Another footy panel unanimously voted that the Saints as the team to watch over the coming years.

You can't buy that type of positive news and publicity.

Now imagine if we were going in the opposite situation. Losing doesn't do much for the bottom line, particularly when you're already struggling financially. It doesn't do much for a coach's career either.

You can't pick and choose when you want to start winning and if you wait for the right moment, the right moment will never come.

A poor second half of the year wouldn't be great and could undue the good work achieved so far but we've already bottomed out last year as far as I'm concerned.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

the winning culture will increase when we get some high picks which will flow on to our bottom line....must get high picks this season.

Then when we get that flag I will be even prouder :)

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I think a lot of our off field stuff has been great, from trout & Bains through to Finnis and the team. They must take a lot of credit.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:the winning culture will increase when we get some high picks which will flow on to our bottom line....must get high picks this season.

What is the perfect pick number this year? I reckon a top 8 pick maybe good. Would be another 5 or 6 wins for the season. We only get one high pick even if we finish bottom 4. It isn't picks.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The effort by everyone in the entire Club over the past few years, is beginning to show. Everyone's head is now lifted and looking around for what is next.

With the team up and about, it confirms that the coaching side of things is working well - so far, so good. The key to future success clearly now lies in our Recruitment, which is unfortunately, not an exact science.

Let's keep our fingers crossed in support of Bain's and his team. We must now be looking a much better prospect to potential top quality imports.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

+1

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the winning culture will increase when we get some high picks which will flow on to our bottom line....must get high picks this season.

What is the perfect pick number this year? I reckon a top 8 pick maybe good. Would be another 5 or 6 wins for the season. We only get one high pick even if we finish bottom 4. It isn't picks.

I fail to see how our winning culture will come with the addition of a high pick at the expense of winning for next season.

How many games have our two highest picks from last season, including the #1 pick, played so far? How many wins have they contributed to.

Next years high pick many not start contributing to our winning culture until 2017 or 18. Certainly it is a fact that McCartin or Goddard cant contribute to any wins until at least the second half of the 2015 season and probably not until next season, a good 18 months after they have been drafted.

So even if we don't win another game for the season and come last, how many games will this high pick win for us next year.

Now compare that to the damage 11 straight losses will do to confidence, reputation, media feedback, membership, potential sponsorship, the draw for 2016 etc.

Would rather we try to win every single game for 2015 and the dp will take care of itself.

You are garbage - Enough said
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Even if we win 3 or 4 more games this season will still finish in the bottom 6, this means we will still get a very good player. Plus if you look at this season our rapid improvement has been on the back of Lonie, Sinclair, Webster, Roberton, newnes, Bruce none of which were high draft picks. Nothing beats winning when you are developing a side, losing cultures are very hard to wash off and effects the psyche of players for years, just ask Melbourne.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I fail to see how our winning culture will come with the addition of a high pick at the expense of winning for next season.

How many games have our two highest picks from last season, including the #1 pick, played so far? How many wins have they contributed to.

Next years high pick many not start contributing to our winning culture until 2017 or 18. Certainly it is a fact that McCartin or Goddard cant contribute to any wins until at least the second half of the 2015 season and probably not until next season, a good 18 months after they have been drafted.

So even if we don't win another game for the season and come last, how many games will this high pick win for us next year.

Now compare that to the damage 11 straight losses will do to confidence, reputation, media feedback, membership, potential sponsorship, the draw for 2016 etc.

Would rather we try to win every single game for 2015 and the dp will take care of itself.
A winning culture will come when we get wins.
Pick 1 is better than 2 and so on. High picks are tradeable for ready made players.
Players are rated by the pick for a reason and we increase our chances if we pick up highly rated players...look I know this all seems obvious and I'm not sure why I have to post it.
We want to get back into the finals not languish mid stream and I want that to happen by 2017, we need a top team to do that...lets get that team now.
Finals will get us the sponsorship and members. The players know where they are at...as I have said to you before...losing doesn't hurt as much as before for this reason...I loved the win the other night but it's like wanting my cake and eating it too.

short term pain long term gain.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I want the highest pick.

Your turn.