Selection last week , older players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

Selection last week , older players

Seemed a large number of posters were quite upset that we added some more mature players at the selection table last week. Notice no further comment after the result.
I acknowledge the Bummers were not a lot if opposition, but it did seem to me to be a very, very good balance of youth and experience.

There seems to be a fine balance that Richo and co have juggled quite well. The older guys add the physical fibre we need and the younger guys The infectious energy and fleet of foot movement , not to mention some damm good skill!

It could the selectors actually do know more than any of us. it's the winning culture that will lead to the self belief that they can aim for the ultimate success, Things are chugging along very nicely ATM

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
#gosaintas
Club Player

Re: Selection last week , older players

Fisher, Ray and Schneider had zero impact on the game. Delaney, Mckenzie and Eli would have given similar if not better output IMO. Gilbert played well because there was no pressure in the backline so his disposal held up. Time to disband dad's army and face the fact that it's not 2009.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

#gosaintas wrote:Fisher, Ray and Schneider had zero impact on the game.
54 touches and 15 marks between them might suggest otherwise.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Fisher, Ray and Schneider had zero impact on the game.
54 touches and 15 marks between them might suggest otherwise.
Yeah ok, not 0 impact. So what that's say 12 kicks and 6 handballs each. Not such an impact. Structurally the 3 are irrelevant as Fisher is not a KPD anymore and the other two have no structural significance, one is an underperforming midfielder and the other is a HBF/wing. I still maintain that we lose nothing by replacing them and gain plenty.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:Fisher, Ray and Schneider had zero impact on the game. Delaney, Mckenzie and Eli would have given similar if not better output IMO. Gilbert played well because there was no pressure in the backline so his disposal held up. Time to disband dad's army and face the fact that it's not 2009.
I've read some rubbish on here (some of it mine) but this sorry takes the cake

The thing you don't understand is leadership and mentoring.

Sam Fisher (all Australian) if you don't think that a guy like Jimmy Webster walks a little taller and plays a lot better having him in the team then I'm not sure you get footy.

Young players need to learn on the job and the 3 players you name as well as Gilbert can give that education. When to go, where to go etc Do you not get it?

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Pretty easy to pipe up about balance when you've had an 18 goal win, but as you said the bombers were just pathetic. Maybe we would have won by 130 if CJ & Gwilt were still tearing it up for us.

Maybe some young guys would have benefited from being part of a great win... Mckenzie, minchington & lee ?

If acres & billings are available I want to see them in the side ahead of ray & Schneider - I stand by that even if it makes us slightly less competitive in the short term.

We are rebuilding and have a young side who are still desperately short of experience.

#gosaintas
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Fisher, Ray and Schneider had zero impact on the game. Delaney, Mckenzie and Eli would have given similar if not better output IMO. Gilbert played well because there was no pressure in the backline so his disposal held up. Time to disband dad's army and face the fact that it's not 2009.

Sam Fisher (all Australian) if you don't think that a guy like Jimmy Webster walks a little taller and plays a lot better having him in the team then I'm not sure you get footy.

Young players need to learn on the job and the 3 players you name as well as Gilbert can give that education. When to go, where to go etc Do you not get it?
Yeah I get it. Let's play our 9 oldest players every week and keep the kids at Sandy.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:

Yeah I get it. Let's play our 9 oldest players every week and keep the kids at Sandy.
Do I have to drag up the Melbourne disaster from a few years ago, 2 young captains got rid of lots of experience and they are now only starting to come out of it, 4 years later

You cannot play just young guys, it does not work

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
#gosaintas
Club Player

Do I have to drag up the Melbourne disaster from a few years ago, 2 young captains got rid of lots of experience and they are now only starting to come out of it, 4 years later

You cannot play just young guys, it does not work[/quote]

Not suggesting the Melbourne route, maybe somewhere in the middle.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'm glad the club is going with best available team to win. That is what football and team selection is all about. Anything else smells a bit like tanking.

These guys will get their chances if they keep producing at the lower level. it's inevitable. As Richo says, you don't just give games to young players because they are young. They've got to earn their spot.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

There needs to be an element of getting what we can from the mentors while we can. It's all well and good to say that we need to get games into this kid or that kid right now, but the fact is that we have about 10 games left to get on ground instruction out of Fisher. Take it while it is an option, because it's highly unlikely to be an option next year. We have bugger all blokes over 24, and we will have even less very soon.

I can imagine this place going into meltdown if Schneids body holds up and he goes again next year, or same thing for Faz. But the fact is that we have a handful of guys over 200 games and then the rest of the list under about 30 games. We need the guidance, knowledge and cool head under pressure that the older guys provide. If you doubt their influence, listen to Jack Lonie talk about Schneids.......

Don't make the mistake of believing that because we learned to step on the throat of a defenseless opponent that our guys are suddenly experienced. The fall away in age and experience after the core group is still dramatic. We need every teaching opportunity we can get.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Fisher and Ray both saved certain goals and Schneider was one of our better players on the day. They add needed experience and provide guidance to the young guns. No impact, really?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:There needs to be an element of getting what we can from the mentors while we can. It's all well and good to say that we need to get games into this kid or that kid right now, but the fact is that we have about 10 games left to get on ground instruction out of Fisher. Take it while it is an option, because it's highly unlikely to be an option next year. We have bugger all blokes over 24, and we will have even less very soon.

I can imagine this place going into meltdown if Schneids body holds up and he goes again next year, or same thing for Faz. But the fact is that we have a handful of guys over 200 games and then the rest of the list under about 30 games. We need the guidance, knowledge and cool head under pressure that the older guys provide. If you doubt their influence, listen to Jack Lonie talk about Schneids.......

Don't make the mistake of believing that because we learned to step on the throat of a defenseless opponent that our guys are suddenly experienced. The fall away in age and experience after the core group is still dramatic. We need every teaching opportunity we can get.......

Schneids is a monty to get rookied again next year.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
True Believer wrote:There needs to be an element of getting what we can from the mentors while we can. It's all well and good to say that we need to get games into this kid or that kid right now, but the fact is that we have about 10 games left to get on ground instruction out of Fisher. Take it while it is an option, because it's highly unlikely to be an option next year. We have bugger all blokes over 24, and we will have even less very soon.

Schneids is a monty to get rookied again next year.
That would be fantastic. Schneids is a terrific leader on the field, organises the young players and has an impact on the board and around the ground.

One of the plays of the day, was him losing his man, getting the ball at half back, running through the corridor and making a 50 metre pass to Newnes in the 50 who duly goals.

All class and some posters on here have been made fools of by him n=and by the coaches.

I find it very satisfying.

You are garbage - Enough said
asiu
Saintsational Legend

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Time to disband dad's army and face the fact that it's not 2009.
This weekly bleating is getting beyond a joke.

No it’s not 2009 but so what? Geelong still has players on their list from 2009. Collingwood still have players on their list from 2010. Sure they won premierships but with an ounce of luck we could have won one or both flags. Why are our senior players less worthy of games than theirs? Why should we simply discard anyone who was around back then just so we can have 22 kids running around?

Fair dinkum, it’s lucky we don’t have a 30 year old Baldock, or a 30 year old Lockett running around or you’d want them out. As for poor old Harves running around at 35; what the hell were we thinking???

I think most logical people can see that the club is blending the youth with the experience and that it’s coming along better than expected.

I think most logical people can see that.

I think most people can see that.

Most.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Time to disband dad's army and face the fact that it's not 2009.

No it’s not 2009 but so what? Geelong still has players on their list from 2009. Collingwood still have players on their list from 2010. Sure they won premierships but with an ounce of luck we could have won one or both flags. Why are our senior players less worthy of games than theirs? Why should we simply discard anyone who was around back then just so we can have 22 kids running around?

Fair dinkum, it’s lucky we don’t have a 30 year old Baldock, or a 30 year old Lockett running around or you’d want them out. As for poor old Harves running around at 35; what the hell were we thinking???

I think most logical people can see that the club is blending the youth with the experience and that it’s coming along better than expected.

Most.
I didn't bring this up, was the OP's bait so I took it. Just because most disagree doesn't mean I have to shutup. Not too long to go now and some of the dead wood will be retired and those playing in the twos at Sandy will be thrown to the wolves next year because we are playing dad's army this year. Common sense says you would rotate the ancients on our list but no....we should play them all and field a team amoungst the oldest in the AFL.

Schneider a rookie next year - yeah right. How could we go on next year without having him missing those clutch goals. What a loss.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Most.
I didn't bring this up, was the OP's bait so I took it. Just because most disagree doesn't mean I have to shutup. Not too long to go now and some of the dead wood will be retired and those playing in the twos at Sandy will be thrown to the wolves next year because we are playing dad's army this year. Common sense says you would rotate the ancients on our list but no....we should play them all and field a team amoungst the oldest in the AFL.

Schneider a rookie next year - yeah right. How could we go on next year without having him missing those clutch goals. What a loss.
I will bookmark your post. :D

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The way I see it blokes are developing their game in the VFL which is how it should be. They are still playing senior footy and getting used to the difference from U/18 to Senior bodies. All things going well these senior blokes will be phased out for up grades.

Sneider - Billings

Ray - Arcers

Fisher - Lee

Geary - Wright

Gilbert - McKenzie

Riewoldt - McCartin

Delaney - Goddard

Joey - Templeton

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
S.A Saint
Club Player

Its a fine line that we have at the moment between the experience and the young guys.

Now at the start of the year i was pretty filthy that we were selecting Schneider to play instead of the kids. I take my comments back because he is has been very good with his performances and eli/minch when in the side have not done as good as he has.

Ray is a different story, and i believe that Acres (when fit) and even Mckenzie have had the same amount of output as him when given the chance. By replacing Ray with one of the youngster its not really going to have that much of an impact in our overall performance as we still have a fair bit of experience (chips, demps, roo, gilbo, monty, schneids, armo, steven, gears etc).

Chips however is a certain lock in the back line unless injured then dels comes in. if both are out then lee or Hugh need to come in.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont want to upset anybody but, if we were to bring in the best players for Sandringham next week that would include Delaney. I dont list him among the older players, nor among the young group.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Changes for next week:

Polo for Dunstan
Baker for Weller
Peake for Newnes
Clarke for Webster
Kosi for Bruce
Milne for Lonie
Jones for Savage
Gwilt for Membrey

You know you want it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:The way I see it blokes are developing their game in the VFL which is how it should be. They are still playing senior footy and getting used to the difference from U/18 to Senior bodies. All things going well these senior blokes will be phased out for up grades.

Sneider - Billings

Ray - Arcers

Fisher - Lee

Geary - Wright

Gilbert - McKenzie

Riewoldt - McCartin

Delaney - Goddard

Joey - Templeton
Close to the pin I would say, except I very much doubt Lee will replace anyone. He is a good VFL standard player. Minch and Curran also have ability and Sipposs deserves at least one more chance.

It is far easier to play well in this years team than in last years team.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Some people just say the same things week after week and refuse to watch the actual game. All it does is show their lack of footy knowledge. The side has the right balance at the moment. The only player that I would like to see in is McKenzie but even he has had a few games. Maybe the Saintys coaching panel know the importance of winning and at the moment we are playing sides we can beat. maybe if we lose a couple of games they will drop an older bloke or two. By the way there aren't many older guys who don't deserve a game anyway unless you don't watch the game and say guys who played pretty well had zero impact.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The only player that I would like to see in is McKenzie but even he has had a few games
Must say I've liked the look of this kid in his few appearances. Has he been doing enough for Sandi to tip someone out? And if so, who?