Is Jack Billings a worry

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Is Jack Billings a worry

Now im not trolling and probably not even worried but Jack has now struggled to finish the last 2 seasons for us and if I remember rightly played bugger all in his last season at under 18 level. He is young and has plenty of time to get right but it just a little concern that for the last 3 years he has struggled with injury. All seem different mind you which in some ways is a better sign.

Just thought it would be interesting to hear others views on this.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Jack Billings a worry

De-list. :D

I think the hamstring injuries are pretty normal, the foot is a little worrisome, hopefully they are ultra cautious... no rush.

I think a lot of these young guys train too hard and add too much bulk for their size in a bid to compete at AFL level. They really are pushing their bodies to the limit.

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Now im not trolling and probably not even worried but Jack has now struggled to finish the last 2 seasons for us and if I remember rightly played bugger all in his last season at under 18 level. He is young and has plenty of time to get right but it just a little concern that for the last 3 years he has struggled with injury. All seem different mind you which in some ways is a better sign.

Just thought it would be interesting to hear others views on this.
I think there's enough to go on now to think that JB may be one of those players whose soft tissue is a little more suss than say a real workhorse. The shin stressy is not too much of a worry if managed well, because he certainly packed on visible bulk in the off season, so not that unexpected and a cause and effect typre injury.

Some younger players tend to have issues early, and get them ironed out by mid 20's and bodies have adapted. Nat Fyfe is a good example. Even a Juddy.

There are the absolute train wrecks like Gumbleton whose collagen must be made out of cardboard.

Cyril is a classic for chronic single area issues like the hammy, but even with him, the knowledge and rehab techniques are so good these days, he can still regain excellent speed and play long runs of games.

I'm tipping Billings will be a bit in between. Not an out and out VW beetle that never breaks down. But he is a power athlete, and i reckon will have soft tissue issues intermittently throughout his career, but certainly not enough to think he'll be a chronic injury prone player. IMO FWIW.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The kid is still growing. Hopefully by the time he's 24 or so the body will be match hardened enough to play out full seasons, I hope so anyway because he's a real talent and potential match winner.

But who can tell anyone's injury future. There's a lot of luck or lack of it involved.

Saint wagga
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:The kid is still growing. Hopefully by the time he's 24 or so the body will be match hardened enough to play out full seasons, I hope so anyway because he's a real talent and potential match winner.

But who can tell anyone's injury future. There's a lot of luck or lack of it involved.
THIS

gringo
Saintsational Legend

What the %$#@ is up with his foot, I thought he had shin splints?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:What the %$#@ is up with his foot, I thought he had shin splints?
I just made that up.

saintjake
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:The kid is still growing. Hopefully by the time he's 24 or so the body will be match hardened enough to play out full seasons, I hope so anyway because he's a real talent and potential match winner.

There's no doubt that Billings had all the match winning capabilities we could ever dream of.
Xavier Clarke had plenty too.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Stupid thread

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Stupid thread

Good imput. I like your style if I was a mass murderer.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

murdered plenty of threads

8-)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

What you say is very interesting...

Said no-one

Ever.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:murdered plenty of threads

8-)

Do you have an opinion on the thread or is it always just knocking me. The thing about that is I don't care but keep going if it amuses you.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

oh no
youve never ever posted something that has nothing to do with the thread ever... said someone on the internet

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:oh no
youve never ever posted something that has nothing to do with the thread ever... said someone on the internet

Strange answer. I just asked if you had an opinion. Weird unit. And never attended. Confirmed. Got an opinion on this thread?

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Stick to your Thurs morning thread. You own it, it's yours. Leave the other stuff to those with more of a clue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Stick to your Thurs morning thread. You own it, it's yours. Leave the other stuff to those with more of a clue.

So we shouldn't be even slightly worried about a guy who hasnt played even close to a full season in the last 3 years? Ok then. And I was just putting it out there anyway. I think I have you covered on the game. I don't think you have got even close in the ins or outs in 16 weeks of footy. I suppose you are just unlucky but I will go with lack of knowledge of the game.

There names show your lack of knowledge
Schneider, Ray, Fisher, Gilbert. And hilarious.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
So we shouldn't be even slightly worried about a guy who hasnt played even close to a full season in the last 3 years? Ok then. And I was just putting it out there anyway. I think I have you covered on the game. I don't think you have got even close in the ins or outs in 16 weeks of footy. I suppose you are just unlucky but I will go with lack of knowledge of the game.

More things in the world to worry about. Billings is what? 20?

Some players take a while to get their bodies right.

Wonder if he would play again if we were a top four team?

You are garbage - Enough said
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Weird thread considering the OP doesnt even think that he is worried

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Im not really worried. Just thought I would bring it up and saint Wagga, who seems to have some medical background, said it could be a concern.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Na come on BM we all know there is no point going on for him. He's done the right thing and bought his mate Sinclair over. He can retire now knowing if he'd had a bit more luck he might have made it. We should get some Dogs supporter on here to tell us how awesome Bontempelli went on the weekend. Fricken Billings, I bet he's on the big money too.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Na come on BM we all know there is no point going on for him. He's done the right thing and bought his mate Sinclair over. He can retire now knowing if he'd had a bit more luck he might have made it. We should get some Dogs supporter on here to tell us how awesome Bontempelli went on the weekend. Fricken Billings, I bet he's on the big money too.

Well I don't even get the sarcasm and Im an expert at it.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Your view on the game is to just agree with the selectors. You take the conservative line, knowing that the selectors will do the same. I think we all know that Plugger. Yes, they keep picking those you have named and I don't think they should. You back the AFL, the umpires, the coaches and the selectors. You even back the AFL commission. Absolutely devoid of independent thought.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:

There's no doubt that Billings had all the match winning capabilities we could ever dream of.
Xavier Clarke had plenty too.

Clarke had soft tissue issues (hamstrings from memory). Billings' problem this year at least is a stress fracture of the foot.

So not sure I'd be lumping him in with Xavier just yet. But we shall see

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Your view on the game is to just agree with the selectors. You take the conservative line, knowing that the selectors will do the same. I think we all know that Plugger. Yes, they keep picking those you have named and I don't think they should. You back the AFL, the umpires, the coaches and the selectors. You even back the AFL commission. Absolutely devoid of independent thought.

That is a very strange comment when I have said many times I would play Hickey instead of Longer and I would never have redrafted Schneider and Saad. As for the other stuff well knocking the umpires wont help anyone, knocking the commission wont help anyone and the selectors and coaches certainly know more than us even if I disagree occasionally. One thing I would never do is call a 100 game saint a dud. Just shows lack of thought for the player and lack of ability by you to understand the game. Pity because you sometimes sound like a saints supporter.