If you think Dermie's a flog, well you're probably right

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If you think Dermie's a flog, well you're probably right

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/spo ... 7459679573

"HAWTHORN legend Dermott Brereton has raised searching concerns about Paddy McCartin, just four games into his AFL career.

The former Geelong Falcon produced the best performance of his emerging career against at the weekend, taking nine marks among 14 disposals in the win over Melbourne.

But Brereton fears the 19-year-old, last year’s No.1 draft pick, is lacking in a number of key areas that are essential to succeeding as a power forward.

‘He doesn’t have a great turn of speed, he doesn’t have a great sidestep, he doesn’t seem to have great endurance’

“He’s one who interests me greatly at this point in time,” Brereton said on SEN of the 194cm, 94kg big man.

“He does have a few issues with his career as he looks forward...."

Blah, blah, blah :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: If you think Dermie's a flog, well you're probably right

I would guess he is exactly like Jack Riewoldt was when he entered AFL footy. Now jack gets around the ground fantastically, Hand moves well after losing his puppy fat. 4 games is a fair sample though. I knew Scott Watters was a tool after just one game.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I would guess he is exactly like Jack Riewoldt was when he entered AFL footy. Now jack gets around the ground fantastically, Hand moves well after losing his puppy fat. 4 games is a fair sample though. I knew Scott Watters was a tool after just one game.
But plugs, there is someone connected to footy that thinks we shouldn't have sacked Watters.

That ONE and only ONE person must be right.

.....I'm sure the hundreds of others are wrong......

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote: ‘He doesn’t have a great turn of speed, he doesn’t have a great sidestep, he doesn’t seem to have great endurance’
Why are you quoting the Geelong adveritiser about Tom Hawkins from 10 years ago?

You are garbage - Enough said
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
But plugs,
:shock:

That escalated quickly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
But plugs,
:shock:

That escalated quickly.

Now that is very good.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: ‘He doesn’t have a great turn of speed, he doesn’t have a great sidestep, he doesn’t seem to have great endurance’
Why are you quoting the Geelong adveritiser about Tom Hawkins from 10 years ago?
Good point.

Of course not everyone can have magnificent physiques like this adonis :roll:

PS: This bloke almost looks a bit, dare I say it, Ape like :wink:

#gosaintas
Club Player

Boooo

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Matthews was making the same criticisms and objected to the comparisons of Paddy to Jonathan Brown.

Perhaps they could be taken as constructive criticisms. Paddy already knows what he needs to work on going into the off-season. At nineteen years of age, the future looks bright for him.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Leigh Matthews was making the same criticisms and objected to the comparisons of Paddy to Jonathan Brown.

Perhaps they could be taken as constructive criticisms. Paddy already knows what he needs to work on going into the off-season. At nineteen years of age, the future looks bright for him.

Im sure the club and Paddy know the issues he has. I think the way Dermie expressed it is much worse that what Matthews said. Whats the difference between him and Hogan in the way they play. They play very similar. They will both improve and the timing isn't great after just taking 9 marks on a wet day. By the way Hogan is well in front but he has 2 extra years in the AFL.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:I would guess he is exactly like Jack Riewoldt was when he entered AFL footy. Now jack gets around the ground fantastically, Hand moves well after losing his puppy fat. 4 games is a fair sample though. I knew Scott Watters was a tool after just one game.
The Scott Watter's remark is one of the funnier ones in recent times...... :lol:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Boooo
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
boneless23
Club Player

Whether his lack of current tank was exposed more when watching the game live or Leigh and Dermie saw something that I didnt but I think Paddy was very very exciting against Melbourne.

He looked every bit as capable as Hogan and as a poster above said reminded me a lot of Tom Hawkins.

Every footballer can improve their running power through hard work during a few AFL pre-season and Paddy seems like the type of kid to hook into pre-season like a beast!!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Richo chose McCartin, his mate chose Wilkes/Maister

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Leigh Matthews was making the same criticisms and objected to the comparisons of Paddy to Jonathan Brown.

Im sure the club and Paddy know the issues he has. I think the way Dermie expressed it is much worse that what Matthews said. Whats the difference between him and Hogan in the way they play. They play very similar. They will both improve and the timing isn't great after just taking 9 marks on a wet day. By the way Hogan is well in front but he has 2 extra years in the AFL.
The article is terrible, especially for a kid in his first year and playing only his fourth game. The headline (not Dermie's responsibility of course) doesn't help matters "St Kilda’s Paddy McCartin has career ‘issues’, Dermott Brereton says"

I think Matthews comments were more about McCartin vs Brown at the same stage of their careers and suggesting Brown had more endurance etc. No biggie; Brown was an all time champion.

This article however is just overly negative, for reasons only to make Dermie feel important.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Is he any different to Tom Hawkins when he started?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:

Just a little smaller I suppose. Dermie has lost the plot. Yep Paddy is a little slow at the moment but he has already lost some weight. He wont be a star for a few more years. Big deal.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
fingers wrote:

Just a little smaller I suppose. Dermie has lost the plot. Yep Paddy is a little slow at the moment but he has already lost some weight. He wont be a star for a few more years. Big deal.

I think Windscreens Turner would have more of an idea about McCartin than both Matthews and Brereton, but hey don't let your hate of St.Kilda get in the way of your "informed" opinion Dermie, maybe get Scottie the master coach a call :roll:

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Paddy's contested marking was very good. How he took the ball at the top of his jump was great. Leads well. He is not bad when it hits the deck, probably better than Hogan. His ball handling and field kicking very good. He gets in to tackle and lock the ball in.

What does seem to be missing at the moment is when he faces away from goal. The flexibility to wheel in traffic and either pass or get a shot in were slow or non-existent. His straight line speed seems pretty good, but changing direction is slow. Am sure they will work on this. These key position guys have to be 23+ or so before you really know how good they are.

I was personally pretty impressed with what I saw. As I said, ball handling was first rate. He clunks the ball. Kosi was a favourite, but he dropped way too many.

asaint
Club Player

Anyone that heard Derm on SEN attacking Rebecca Wilson will know Derm is a disgrace.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dermot isn't really much of a journo. He famously ad libs while others prepare. He deliberately over states things for a rise. He is an embarrassment.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

asaint wrote:Anyone that heard Derm on SEN attacking Rebecca Wilson will know Derm is a disgrace.

He has immediately gone up in my eyes if he has done that as long as he didn't bring gender into it.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Five day/five night flags permits you to say anything you like and never be held accountable, it seems.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Fortunately an editor at the Geelong Advertiser left out page two of Dermott's crap where he went on to highlight his own strengths at Paddy's age against Paddy's deficiencies. At least that is my take; I have NEVER heard Brereton talk about any other young forward without managing to bring his own career into the conversation.

Lethal was shooting down Mick Turner for comparing Paddy to Jono Brown as a Falcon's recruit. Fair enough too - I doubt whether there will be another player with 3 premiership medallions by the time they are 21. And to be fair to Lethal, he howled down the notion in the first half. By the end of the game I was waiting for somebody to ask him for a second opinion but 7 commentators being the gutless wonders they are wouldn't risk upsetting their messiah. I reckon he may have taken a bit of a shine to Paddy by the final siren.

As for Dermott, Sidchrome never manufactured a bigger or more useless tool.

Saint supporter since '62
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Brereton is entitled to question Paddy thats his role as Paddy has a long way to go!

But crikey he has a short memory though - I dont recall Lockett or Dunstall being quick, or Ablett having great endurance.

Paddy is a full forward not a running CHF, he will play more of a traditional stay at home role until he builds a tank similiar to Jack Reiwoldt!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!