So, where are we at?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: So, where are we at?

samuraisaint wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:We have improved on the last two years and are well along on our way to a rebuild. But in so far as actually pressing for finals, or even seriously contending in the top 4, how far away are we?
Well, we know that we're better than the bottom four sides, although we may actually finish bottom four, courtesy of two losses by a kick.
But we are also a ten goals worse side than the Hawks, Eagles, Port and Collingwood.
We also rely way too much on our veterans, Riewoldt, Montagna and Dempster, for my liking.
I like the game plan, which when it is on, we are an irrepressible attacking force, but wonder what will happen when Roo, Montagna and Dempster retire. Will the young stars present and still to be recruited, be able to press for a GF without our 2009/10 heroes?
Or will their retirements just be a speed hump which can be negotiated through free agency?
I don't think wer're 10 goals worse than Collingwood, and probably not 10 goals behind Port.

Well, based on results, we are. But we've improved on last years showings against these sides, albeit not by much. I hoped that in the last 6 rounds we would avoid blowouts, but I can see a few looming, now that we've had one already. Out of all six final games, this Sunday against Freo was the one I has a glimmer of hope in, as this is a fixture we have traditionally won, but Freo seem to have become pressure hardened and I think a win is very unlikely this season. I think we are highly likely to finish 4th last this year, given that Melbourne and Essendon have far easier draws in the weeks ahead.

We are much better than last year. You cant just pick certain games to say we have not improved by much. Wins and percentage suggests quite a bit of improvement. Still a long way to go though and we need to replace our stars which really worries me. At least 3 years before the 8 is a chance IMO but I had us for a maximum of 3 wins this year so I hope to be wrong again. Just worry about who replaces Fisher and Rooy. They a KPP and stars and not easily replaced. Even Dempster will be very hard to replace.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Locals322 wrote:I really want the old boys to leave for more draft picks even though I love them because without Roo & Montagna & Armo we are still wooden spooners and they are all older.
Good weekend?

6 losses in a row now. You must be happy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I guess a worry is that when our captain, who is near the end of his career, and has dodgy knees, calf etc., is out of the the team, we roll over and play dead. Other than that, two players near the end of their careers- Dempster and Montagna, are the only ones who showed any glimpse of class in a woeful loss. I'm not sure where we are at after that.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Cheer up you guys, we've improved heaps this year, and done way better than I expected. I've especially enjoyed the development of our young players.

But young, 1st year players will always struggle in these dog-days of winter toward the end of a long season. Their young bodies will be bruised and battered and needing a rest. They will benefit hugely from a summer break and a pre-season and will be harder and stronger next year.

We are in a much better place than 12 months ago, and I'm confident we're heading in the right direction. St Kilda has far exceded my expectations this season by results, development, recuriting, culture & management. Well done to the club.