Players deserving of a chance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

coopergrech
Club Player

Players deserving of a chance

Players like Josh Saunders, Tom Lee & Brodie Murdoch, deserve to play senior AFL Footy, mainly Lee & Saunders because they have both had a fantastic VFL Season and deserve a chance while they have played strings of good games together, and Murdoch has played 3 or 4 good games in a row after his back injury.

And with some sore boys after last night's lose, this is their chances to come in:

In: Lee,Saunders,Murdoch & Membrey(Should always be in the side)

But that wont happen because Longer & Dunstan will more then likely along with Webster come back into the side.

Looks like Sav ,D-Mac, Lonie & Sinclair will miss through injuries.

Thought Wright done alright coming on as the sub.

Paddy may go back to the reserves so Membrey can come back to the team!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Players deserving of a chance

Cant see Lee playing unless they rest Goddard. Not sure his form is that great lately. There are some players who aren't worth playing if they have already made a decision on them one way or the other.

The big question is what they do in the ruck this week. There is no spot forward for Hickey unless they drop McCartin and don't play membery who I agree deserves a game. So it is either Longer or Hickey. After one and half games rucking this year im convinced more than ever Hickey provides more than Longer around the ground.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Cant see Lee playing unless they rest Goddard. Not sure his form is that great lately. There are some players who aren't worth playing if they have already made a decision on them one way or the other.

The big question is what they do in the ruck this week. There is no spot forward for Hickey unless they drop McCartin and don't play membery who I agree deserves a game. So it is either Longer or Hickey. After one and half games rucking this year im convinced more than ever Hickey provides more than Longer around the ground.

Lee's form has been excellent. Was good again yesterday and his disposal would help in our backline. Who cares who they drop as long as it isn't Goddard.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Cant see Lee playing unless they rest Goddard. Not sure his form is that great lately. There are some players who aren't worth playing if they have already made a decision on them one way or the other.

pretty rare to get in the best from the backline but he has quite a few times this year and still had a lazy 19 possession 9 mark game. His setting up play from the back with clean kicking has been supposedly good recently. Saunders probably a bit up and down. minchington and Markworth both had very good games.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

How about Markworth? Among the best for Sandy and two goals. May be time for his debut.

#gosaintas
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:How about Markworth? Among the best for Sandy and two goals. May be time for his debut.

Agree with this - play him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

pretty rare to get in the best from the backline but he has quite a few times this year and still had a lazy 19 possession 9 mark game. His setting up play from the back with clean kicking has been supposedly good recently. Saunders probably a bit up and down. minchington and Markworth both had very good games.

So who is Lee in for?

spert
Saintsational Legend

At this stage of the season, it is time to give a few Saints at Sandy a run. With the likely outs of Lonie and DMac and maybe Savage and Sinclair through injury, that means there is room for a few. I would like to see a taller backman in there and Lee would at least be worth a run, and can actually kick the football properly, and maybe we give Fisher a rest as he is not the player he was and isn't giving much. Minch could probably get another run in the forward line. Membrey should come in for Paddy, who is a long way off yet, and maybe Markworth could get a run, Basically I reckon try those who have been consistently good at VFL for a few weeks.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Could drop Fisher or Geary or both. Who cares...Fisher is cooked and Geary can't kick.

saintjake
Club Player

Big Paddy fan but I think it's time he went back to the VFL.
Watched him really closely when he was down my end of the ground and he is very reactionary.
Spends a lot of time pointing where he wants the ball to be kicked instead of just leading and making the kicker kick it there.

Of course it's just a learning thing for him. But it was extremely frustrating to watch regardless.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Could drop Fisher or Geary or both. Who cares...Fisher is cooked and Geary can't kick.

May as well just play the Sandy side because who cares. Geary and Fisher aren't going anywhere especially Geary.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Could drop Fisher or Geary or both. Who cares...Fisher is cooked and Geary can't kick.

May as well just play the Sandy side because who cares. Geary and Fisher aren't going anywhere especially Geary.
Not at all. Lee should play because he is in form and deserves a chance. Fisher is finished and Geary can't kick so I don't care which one they drop and hope they drop both. Either way, Lee has earned a spot and I want Goddard to stay in. Dempster has earned his spot. So we start with 3 in Lee, Goddard and Dempster. If Webster is right he should come in. Savage prob injured otherwise he plays. It's not that hard to find a spot for him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not at all. Lee should play because he is in form and deserves a chance. Fisher is finished and Geary can't kick so I don't care which one they drop and hope they drop both. Either way, Lee has earned a spot and I want Goddard to stay in. Dempster has earned his spot. So we start with 3 in Lee, Goddard and Dempster. If Webster is right he should come in. Savage prob injured otherwise he plays. It's not that hard to find a spot for him.

Hasn't been in the top 6 for 7 games in a row.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

saintjake wrote:Big Paddy fan but I think it's time he went back to the VFL.
Watched him really closely when he was down my end of the ground and he is very reactionary.
Spends a lot of time pointing where he wants the ball to be kicked instead of just leading and making the kicker kick it there.

Of course it's just a learning thing for him. But it was extremely frustrating to watch regardless.
I agree. Watched him closely too when he was at the lockett end. To me he seems to start were he needs to finish on a lead. Needs to be deeper in the goals and lead to the 30 to 40 Metre mark. Not start there. He would have been used more.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Was really good yesterday. 9 marks, plenty of disposals and clean with the ball. He's a good size, courageous, great kick, versatile and he is on our list and a good age. He was good the game before the bye too. We should play him.

#gosaintas
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:Was really good yesterday. 9 marks, plenty of disposals and clean with the ball. He's a good size, courageous, great kick, versatile and he is on our list and a good age. He was good the game before the bye too. We should play him.

referring to Lee

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:
borderbarry wrote:How about Markworth? Among the best for Sandy and two goals. May be time for his debut.

Agreed. Not sure about Lee, from what I have seen he is still learning how to be a banckman, but we will never know unless he is given a go.

If things are going pear shaped we can swing Bruce down back and Lee up forward. Gives some more flexibility.

You are garbage - Enough said
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Given the comments from Richo in yesterday's press conference - saying the only new player who hasnt played is Holmes - would suggest Markworth isnt at the front of the mind when it comes to inclusions. I'd like to see him get a couple of games for the list management to at least get some indication whether he's worth persevering with.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

So who is Lee in for?
Right now he's not in is he. He deserves a game after a good season though. I reckon he's had a better body of evidence built up that Paddy or Hugh though and they get games.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:

Agreed. Not sure about Lee, from what I have seen he is still learning how to be a banckman, but we will never know unless he is given a go.

If things are going pear shaped we can swing Bruce down back and Lee up forward. Gives some more flexibility.

Moorabin Ghost seemed to think he'll end up back in WA with a trade if he can't get a game this year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Moorabin Ghost seemed to think he'll end up back in WA with a trade if he can't get a game this year.

Why would anyone pay anything for him? Serious question.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:Given the comments from Richo in yesterday's press conference - saying the only new player who hasnt played is Holmes - would suggest Markworth isnt at the front of the mind when it comes to inclusions. I'd like to see him get a couple of games for the list management to at least get some indication whether he's worth persevering with.
Even though Markworth hasn't made his debut, he's not a new player which I'm sure this is what Richo would have been referring to.
Last edited by snoopygirl on Mon 10 Aug 2015 3:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I think he would attract a 3rd round pick still. Talls are pretty hard to come by and the form from his VFL season has been good. He was pretty dominant in the WAFL too so some one would have another go at him. Handy mature player for a team like WCE or Freo who could both do with a back up tall defender.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I think he would attract a 3rd round pick still. Talls are pretty hard to come by and the form from his VFL season has been good. He was pretty dominant in the WAFL too so some one would have another go at him. Handy mature player for a team like WCE or Freo who could both do with a back up tall defender.

He hasn't played a game this year and hardly played last year. he is a delisted player or a keeper. There isn't any trade potential but if we could get a pick 40 we should take it straight away.

Club Player

Was impressed with Lee yesterday. Good user of the ball and played more of a Dempster role than a key position which were held by Delany and Brown.
Not big enough to be a key back but could make it taking the oppositions 2nd or 3rd tall.

Given Dempsters age, Lee might be a good replacement for him.

His kicking is very good which is important and gives him an advantage over Geary, Roberton and Gilbert.

Only one way to find out if he can make it as a back and that is to give him a game.