Risks down back

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Risks down back

Ok so Fisher signs on for next year - I have no problem with that.
Thats leaves us with Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert, Geary down back - thats pretty fricking old. Dad's army almost.

We then have Goddard, Roberton and Webster down there as well. These three look very reliable.

But what of Tom Lee? Will he look for other opportunities or stay on and bide his time for 2017?
Then we have Delaney. There is a possibility he wont have a long AFL career due to his limited mobility.

What do people think?
We could be in a position in 2017 that Fisher, Dempster and Lee all leave at once.
Gilbert and Geary are not world beaters. Suddenly we find ourselves with serious problems down back come 2018.

mambo2706
Club Player

Re: Risks down back

I like Tom Lee but I don't think he will be our answer down back as he isn't big enough to hold down a key position. I think he'd be good on the third tall though. Goddard will be a gun and I'm confident he will be our CHB for the next 10 years. Roberton, Webster and Savage are very reliable and great users of the ball. Delaney would be a good back up but we need to recruit a decent full back. If we can I think we will have a great backline. (that's not to say we won't miss Dempster or Fisher when they retire)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ok so Fisher signs on for next year - I have no problem with that.
Thats leaves us with Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert, Geary down back - thats pretty fricking old. Dad's army almost.

We then have Goddard, Roberton and Webster down there as well. These three look very reliable.

But what of Tom Lee? Will he look for other opportunities or stay on and bide his time for 2017?
Then we have Delaney. There is a possibility he wont have a long AFL career due to his limited mobility.

What do people think?
We could be in a position in 2017 that Fisher, Dempster and Lee all leave at once.
Gilbert and Geary are not world beaters. Suddenly we find ourselves with serious problems down back come 2018.

Looks very good to me. Backs are the easiest to recruit or replce and we already have 3 young ones who have huge promise. The least of our problems. Its the mids first second and up to fifth especially with less interchange. The game will become a complete running game. Even more than it is now.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would love for us to pick up one of the guns from the new clubs, that would solve one midfield position, and for Jack Billings to move into the midfield. We still need to pick up some mids in the draught, but we also need a fullback and another tall defender. There are a few in the draught that may be okay, such as Collins, Ben McKay, Coughlan, Glass-McCasker (all fullbacks or CHB), Riley Bonner, Brandon White.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I would love for us to pick up one of the guns from the new clubs, that would solve one midfield position, and for Jack Billings to move into the midfield. We still need to pick up some mids in the draught, but we also need a fullback and another tall defender. There are a few in the draught that may be okay, such as Collins, Ben McKay, Coughlan, Glass-McCasker (all fullbacks or CHB), Riley Bonner, Brandon White.
Jake Carlisle would solve the problem though he will be no doubt too expensive.

I think we should be circling the best players who aren't quite getting a game at GWS & GCS... Just like we did with Josh Bruce, who turned out to be a massive bargain.

We could potentially get one via free agency in a couple of years too.

I feel a bit sorry for Delaney, lured over on the basis of opportunity... Played every game last year and finished 5th? in the b&f, now looking at another year as backup only. I guess he just too one-dimensional... Wouldn't get a game at hawthorn.

#gosaintas
Club Player

I think Luke is learning to play a more attacking role at sandy and he will get his chance again. Lee will get his chance next year. Geary is history.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:I think Luke is learning to play a more attacking role at sandy and he will get his chance again. Lee will get his chance next year. Geary is history.

Well all those statement could easily be wrong but we know the Geary one is definitely wrong. You mentioning it all the time wont make it right. I couldn't stand going to watch a game of footy with the bias you have for certain players.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i reckon tom lee might replace one of the backman when he hangs them up
?

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think we can cobble together an ok back line, but the challenge is to get the defensive game upfield actually working, so the ball isn't just bouncing straight back once we clear it out of defence. Having said that, we should be on the lookout for another key position defender to recruit.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's quite clear that we need to look for a Fullback, for a bit down the line, so the Recruiters need to get the job done - not too difficult a task.

The big recruiting challenge however, is to get some good depth into our mids. Not such an easy task.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

All fair comments. I certainly dont think we should spend an early daft pick on Carlisle. Seems crazy. We have enough down back to get through the next few years but the midfield is where we really lack speed/class.

robsaint
Club Player

Tend to agree with Con on this one we need more down back, but if you look at the whole list we have gaps in other areas as well.
Backs
Dempster( 1 year left)
Fisher( 1 year left)
Gilbert( 2 years left)
Geary(3 years left)

Our back 6 will probably consists of
Goddard
Roberton
Webster
Savage

So we need at least another 2.
Wright probably the most likely to make it?
Shenton?
Delaney?

Looking at our mids
Montagna(1)
Armo(3-4)
Ray(1-2)

Lockins
Steven
Dunstan
Billings
Weller
Newbes

Fringe
Ross?
Acres?
Mckenzie?
Curren?

Forwards
Riewoldt(1 year)

Most likely
McCartin
Bruce
Lonie
Sinclair

Needs a few more forwards
Fringe Players
Minchington?
Siposs?
Murdoch?
Templeton?
Lee?

Rucks
Longer
Hickey
Holmes – long term project

Players that are in real danger of being delisted from the Senior list.
Pierce has not played a senior game
Saunders
White
Simpkin
Markworth has not played a senior game

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont claim to have all the answers because I don't. All I know is the recruitment environment is incredibly challenging mainly as a result of concessions to expansion clubs. Also FA was supposes to assist lower clubs but so far is having the opposite effect. It is going to be incredibly challenging for us to get back up the ladder. So I think we need to be very smart with how we recruit. I dont think 'shell be right mate' is going to work out.